• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question GMAIL

Search This thread

turnturn1225

Oct 13, 2010
Sony Xperia 1 III
Hey everyone, not sure what has happened, but I can't stop getting my gmail notifications now, so that's a win. I even have adaptive battery turned on and notifications are coming through. I haven't done anything different really, but my phone finally feels normal.

jaseman

Aug 27, 2012
Spring
Hey everyone, not sure what has happened, but I can't stop getting my gmail notifications now, so that's a win. I even have adaptive battery turned on and notifications are coming through. I haven't done anything different really, but my phone finally feels normal.
Well that's great to hear...but it's not very helpful! Nothing against you. I wonder sometimes of it's something being controlled by Google. I imagine that Google's email servers are working at full capacity 24/7 and when the load is heavy that our individual email notifications might be delayed. When we get a few email's all at the same time it's like Google places them all in our own personal queue and then the moment the server has time it sends them out.

cronus101

Mar 14, 2011
Sony Xperia 1 III
Turned off adaptive battery and Gmail is syncing properly. Will turn it back on after 3 days.

terrylwh

Jan 2, 2011
Well that's great to hear...but it's not very helpful! Nothing against you. I wonder sometimes of it's something being controlled by Google. I imagine that Google's email servers are working at full capacity 24/7 and when the load is heavy that our individual email notifications might be delayed. When we get a few email's all at the same time it's like Google places them all in our own personal queue and then the moment the server has time it sends them out.

I am thinking the similar thing. But Just my guess, I completely have no evidence.

Maybe when we login with our Google Account we will be assigned with token to particular Google server according to geographical location/server loading. We sometime got assign to some malfunctioning server group so our Google Services are not syncing correctly.

That is why some people here got the problem fix when they reloggin at the google account, or when the time pass they got their token expired and then luckily got assigned to another google server group that work fine, so problem suddenly solved.

terrylwh

Jan 2, 2011
All of a sudden the google sync problem show up again. I have done nothing but just change the language of my phone, then my Gmail and Play Store suddenly stop working fine. I clear the data of Google Play, Gmail, Download & Download Manager, and sign out of my phone for many times and of coz restart my device , but it still does not work. Maybe I really shall factory reset my phone?

hotcakes_shinku

Sep 27, 2016
Xperia XZ2
latest update fixed it for a while, then broke again. Gonna factory reset soon when i find the time i guess.

Update: factory reset didn't work. My account stopped syncing about an hour after the factory reset.

Last edited:

terrylwh

Jan 2, 2011
latest update fixed it for a while, then broke again. Gonna factory reset soon when i find the time i guess.

Update: factory reset didn't work. My account stopped syncing about an hour after the factory reset.

Same here. My Google Play and Gmail now both do not sync automatically. All previous fix method in this thread did not work. Do not know what to do next. Have you tried any other new way to fix them? Thank you!

hotcakes_shinku

Sep 27, 2016
Xperia XZ2
Same here. My Google Play and Gmail now both do not sync automatically. All previous fix method in this thread did not work. Do not know what to do next. Have you tried any other new way to fix them? Thank you!
in my case, after the update, I logged out my account(s) from all my android devices on the google my account security page. Then I removed those account(s) from my phone. After that I did a hard factory reset from the recovery menu, instead of factory reset through settings. Then I setup my phone as if its new. Its been working since then, but like i mentioned before, my google play auto updates seem inconsistent. I guess I rather live with that than no gmail notifications. Im also giving up on my accounts being on multiple devices if it causes me all these problems.

hotcakes_shinku

Sep 27, 2016
Xperia XZ2
Today, it decided to fix itself. After giving up, I decided to disable all Google syncing and their related apps (GMail, Calendar, Drive) besides contacts since they don't work and switch to alternatives (Outlook). I've been enabling them every now and then to see if they were magically fixed and so far they continued to not work. Until today, I enabled them again and I started receiving notifications and all of the Google Services are now syncing. I hope this a sign that Google has fixed something on their end and and this doesnt happen again.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guys please treat everyone with respect.
    We are here to help each other and exchange our experience. Not to offend each other.

Thank you.
    THREAD CLEANED

Hi! Just popping in to leave a reminder for everyone: keep it civil, on-topic and refrain from responding to posts that you think are offensive or hateful. Just report if you feel something isn't right and let us take care of it for you. :)

Regards,
    shadowstep
    Forum Moderator
    Testing out a potential fix which seems to be working for now.

I found out that my phone backup isn't working either. Manually pressing the button, the backup keeps telling it failed and asks me to try again later. Searching online, there are some that suggest to remove the screen lock to see if backup starts working again.

After I removed my screen lock, I cleared cache/storage of Google Play Services, Google Services Framework and Gmail. Then I rebooted my phone and left it a while to let it fully boot. I can now backup my phone, and I am getting my Gmail notifications. Now I am observing to see if this is permanent..

If the fix is permanent, at least on my end, it seems that Sony's build of android has buggy encryption. This was an issue with other brands too.
    Update on my problem. Firstly, after trying the above, I noticed a few days later that in general I wasn't getting notifications from anything. I concluded that I messed up Google Services too much and therefore factory reset my phone.

After that and readding my google account, My notifications was fixed, except Gmail still wasn't getting notifications, but phone backup started working. I was about to give up and use another email app, when today the September security update arrived in 61.0.A.14.3 update. Being desperate to try anything I updated without hesitation.

This seems to fix the problem and I am getting my gmail notifications.
    Not getting my hopes up too much and just continue monitoring but I hope this the end of my google problems.
    My reply is too long so I am writing a separate reply.

I have done the following and my Gmail Notification / Google Play Auto Update is now working:

1. Go to https://myaccount.google.com, in the Security section, select you device and choose signed out. Then re-sign in at your phone.

2. At your phone, go to Setting>Apps & Notification, search the app "Downloads" and "Download Manager". At "Storage and cache", clear their storage and cache, then restart your phone.

Hopes this help!