• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GNU/LINUX][4.3.0.12] Sailfish OS for Xperia Tama devices

Search This thread

rinigus

Nov 15, 2015
Hello everyone. My device is XZ2 single sim

I am planning to switch to Sailfish, from my LineageOS 18.1 Official to the latest Sailfish release.

Must/should fresh stock rom be installed first on XZ2? To avoid issues or something?

Is okay to follow the flashing instructions while having LineageOS installed? I didn't even install magisk. Only rom and gapps. Everything is working and functioning in LineageOS as of now.
For AOSP10 based build, you should be good to go and there is no need to switch to Stock first. So, I expect that you could flash directly. Although, I have never tested it myself - please report how it goes.

Reactions: cesarp3791

MartinX3

Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2014
Mars
martinx3.github.io
For AOSP10 based build, you should be good to go and there is no need to switch to Stock first. So, I expect that you could flash directly. Although, I have never tested it myself - please report how it goes.
It's just important to boot on both slot the newest stock rom once and go though the introduction assistant before you move to custom roms the first time. You don't need to repeat it again after you was on a custom rom.

Background is, that the newest stock rom from mid 2020 updates your hidden partitions, hardware firmware like touch screen (not the kernel driver), your bootloader and the firmware of your baseband and some stuff of that is splitted in A/B.

cesarp3791

Sep 5, 2012
OnePlus 3
Thank you for the fast reply.

I was able to flash correctly. Everything is working well.

I woke up and set up everything to flash, but due to a small inconvenience i needed to do another extra step (which i will explain below, and i think some small extra steps/explanations should be added wherever applicable, in xda and in jolla forums).

The small issue, which would not let me flash Sailfish on my first try was:
The instructions on Jolla's Xperia 10 to enter fastboot needs some extra step. Because our device has some small bug in bootloader (as i have read somewhere here in XDA), entering fastboot mode with device powered off with Volume Key + and plugging to computer doesn't work correctly.
See, i did that, checked if 'a' slot was active, and when i entered the command, it said slot a active. But the led on my XZ2 went green, and in terminal console the command fastboot devices showed something like '??????? XLF mode'. I was not able to flash in that state.

So i booted back to LineageOS, and in computer terminal i did 'adb reboot bootloader' (correct me if I'm wrong, i don't remember exactly)

Then did all the installation process again and the led stayed blue all the time.
Fastboot devices showed the device correctly, and the flashing went smoothly.

I think this extra step should be added somewhere in the installation guides, to avoid this small issue.

I followed this suggestion by you to fix issue with the battery reporting too.

"Policy update is incorporated into new config packages and you could get it by update through zypper and reboot:
# as root
zypper ref
zypper up
reboot"

Also installed pickupd to wake screen automatically, working fine.

It's just important to boot on both slot the newest stock rom once and go though the introduction assistant before you move to custom roms the first time. You don't need to repeat it again after you was on a custom rom.

Background is, that the newest stock rom from mid 2020 updates your hidden partitions, hardware firmware like touch screen (not the kernel driver), your bootloader and the firmware of your baseband and some stuff of that is splitted in A/B.
Thanks for that explanation. This A/B partition scheme is something to be careful of while dealing with custom roms.
Nice to see you in this device's development too (i remember you from the OPO forums).

By the way, thanks for all your work in the OnePlus One too. I flashed a while ago your Omnirom builds on my beloved OPO (still alive and kicking with LineageOS 18.1).

Thanks both for everything! Hope my explanation and extra step is useful to someone else.

Attachments

• 20210905_123440.jpg
    20210905_123440.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 54

rinigus

Nov 15, 2015
The small issue, which would not let me flash Sailfish on my first try was:
The instructions on Jolla's Xperia 10 to enter fastboot needs some extra step. Because our device has some small bug in bootloader (as i have read somewhere here in XDA), entering fastboot mode with device powered off with Volume Key + and plugging to computer doesn't work correctly.
See, i did that, checked if 'a' slot was active, and when i entered the command, it said slot a active. But the led on my XZ2 went green, and in terminal console the command fastboot devices showed something like '??????? XLF mode'. I was not able to flash in that state.
The flashing instructions are at https://github.com/sailfishos-sony-tama/main/blob/hybris-10/flashing.md#flashing and include `fastboot reboot-bootloader` which would have prevented that issue :)

cesarp3791

Sep 5, 2012
OnePlus 3
The flashing instructions are at https://github.com/sailfishos-sony-tama/main/blob/hybris-10/flashing.md#flashing and include `fastboot reboot-bootloader` which would have prevented that issue :)
I'm pretty sure i did too, both commands (check if a slot, it already was on a, and the reboot to bootloader again just to be safe). Rebooted to bootloader and everything. After reboot, when i checked slot again the led turned green in my case.

Of course, i will check in command history in computer. Just to confirm.

Edit: adding details by the end of post.

Confirmed that i did reboot to bootloader between check if a slot and trying to flash. When it checked slot my device's led went green.
So i remembered that little bug or something. Booted android, 'adb reboot bootloader' and in the checking slot step, the led stayed blue. I was able to flash Sailfish then.

Anyway everything is working from what i see. Today i tested a USB C digital audio adapter branded Dekia (usb c to 3.5mm audio jack), sound worked well on basic 3.5mm earphones and also tested a speaker in aux mode.

Any pointers to get more aarch64 applications? I installed warehouse and could get some.

I read something about chum repository. Should i install or configure it?

Last edited:

cesarp3791

Sep 5, 2012
OnePlus 3
Hi
i can't flash the update
i wanted to clean flash as you suggested, via fastboot.

the terminal output is this:

"
Detected Linux
Searching device to flash..
Found H8216, baseband:1311-7915_52.1.A.3.49, bootloader:1310-7079_X_Boot_SDM845_LA2.0.1_Q_207
Found 1 devices: QV7026E91B
Fastboot command: fastboot -s QV7026E91B
Flashing boot partition..
fastboot: error: Failed to identify current slot
"

Any suggestions? Rebooted several times on fastboot, checked slot, rebooted to bootloader.
nothing worked

Thanks in advance.

rinigus

Nov 15, 2015
Hi
i can't flash the update
i wanted to clean flash as you suggested, via fastboot.

the terminal output is this:

"
Detected Linux
Searching device to flash..
Found H8216, baseband:1311-7915_52.1.A.3.49, bootloader:1310-7079_X_Boot_SDM845_LA2.0.1_Q_207
Found 1 devices: QV7026E91B
Fastboot command: fastboot -s QV7026E91B
Flashing boot partition..
fastboot: error: Failed to identify current slot
"

Any suggestions? Rebooted several times on fastboot, checked slot, rebooted to bootloader.
nothing worked

Thanks in advance.

Could it be USB3 issue? Are you connecting to your phone via USB2 or 3? I have to use older PC for flashing Tama...

mak6021

Nov 26, 2016
Polotsk
I decided to put this firmware through win 10, in the end, nothing happened (I start the bow, the window appeared pressed the key and as a result of connecting the phone does not see though, the Driver and through the usual, command line all the commands read.., what is wrong? Sony xz2

rinigus

Nov 15, 2015
I decided to put this firmware through win 10, in the end, nothing happened (I start the bow, the window appeared pressed the key and as a result of connecting the phone does not see though, the Driver and through the usual, command line all the commands read.., what is wrong? Sony xz2
Unfortunately, I cannot really understand what did you do and what happened.

shezy14

Aug 28, 2014
Redmi Note 10
Unfortunately, I cannot really understand what did you do and what happened.
I also am trying to install on my xperia xz2 compact using my Windows pc, and I downloaded sailfish OS 4.2, software binary and vb meta, I put everything in the same folder but when i click on flash on Windows.bat it get stuck at searching for a compatible device...
fastboot drivers installed and working

rinigus

Nov 15, 2015
I also am trying to install on my xperia xz2 compact using my Windows pc, and I downloaded sailfish OS 4.2, software binary and vb meta, I put everything in the same folder but when i click on flash on Windows.bat it get stuck at searching for a compatible device...
fastboot drivers installed and working

Thank you for a clear description of the problem. I would suggest to file an issue at Github repo of the port https://github.com/sailfishos-sony-tama/main/issues . As I don't have Windows PC, I used the script as it was with minimal changes, if any. It is possible that if the issue is filed, someone from SFOS community will help you.

As usual, check that you use USB2 connection and `fastboot reboot-bootloader` before flashing.

xsetiadi

Aug 26, 2015
Indonesia
has anyone try on on xz2c japan version (SO-05K) because back then on sfos xperia x compact. my friend try on japanese x compact version (SO-02J) and it is work, no different. everything seems ok. as long you can unlock bootloader, you can install sfos on it.

rinigus

Nov 15, 2015
has anyone try on on xz2c japan version (SO-05K) because back then on sfos xperia x compact. my friend try on japanese x compact version (SO-02J) and it is work, no different. everything seems ok. as long you can unlock bootloader, you can install sfos on it.

If it works with AOSP, it should work with SFOS as well.

Z0rnica

Nov 4, 2021
speaking of... I was thinking about flashing SFOS on my SO-05K because for some reason the Lineage install keeps failing (see: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...nstallation-keeps-failing-unresolved.4357723/) but I also don't want to remain on android... is there anything I would have to watch out for since the SO-05K isn't in the "official" supported devices list?
additionally, since there won't be any apk support (?), has the flatpak support been fixed yet?

Essentially, I need the device to be able do 4 things:
- check emails
- use telegram
- use line
- use tethering via usb.
would I be able to do these things?
(as a bonus being able to use osmand for maps would also be nice)

rinigus

Nov 15, 2015
speaking of... I was thinking about flashing SFOS on my SO-05K because for some reason the Lineage install keeps failing (see: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...nstallation-keeps-failing-unresolved.4357723/) but I also don't want to remain on android... is there anything I would have to watch out for since the SO-05K isn't in the "official" supported devices list?
additionally, since there won't be any apk support (?), has the flatpak support been fixed yet?

- check emails
- use telegram
- use line
- use tethering via usb.

I don't have any feedback regarding your specific Tama device. So, check the thread and see if you can find info on it.

Regarding other aspects:

- Flatpak is not supported. I will probably bump hybris version with the next update, but cannot guarantee it will help Flatpak nor it would work out if I bump to the version newer than used in SFOS 4.3.0.12. So, some experimentation would be needed.

- We have support for Android apps via Waydroid. How good it is and whether it is sufficient for Telegram - no idea. Some apps seem to run just fine with it.

- You can use it for checking email (standard protocols are supported, IMAP, POP3, SMTP; MS Exchange is not), make/receive phone calls. Tethering via USB I don't use, have used WiFi tethering and it works. So, don't know whether USB one works.

- For maps you have native Pure Maps :) .

Reactions: farukr1

Z0rnica

Nov 4, 2021
thanks. I gave it a shot and was able to install it on my SO-05K after editing the flash script (replace the H8314 with SO-05K basically and also edit the mdr list accordingly! aka put in the new mdr5 for the edited script).
everything seems to run fine, but sadly I couldn't figure out how to get waydroid onto the device... and then another issue popped up with is sadly somewhat of a deal breaker: I couldn't find a way to input Japanese text, which in Japan is kinda essential :/
I sadly don't have much time to experiment any further today, so I will covert it back to android (since this is kinda my daily driver).
I think I will try again after doing more research and in case Lineage continues to fail...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is to announce 4.3.0.12 SFOS update for Xperia Tama devices: XZ2, XZ2c, and XZ3. Please read release notes and description below before update.

At the moment of writing (2 Dec 2021), only OTA has had a limited testing. So, early adopters, please report how it went. If someone preferred to flash the image, please report as well. For those wishing to be on the safer side, wait till more users would have a chance to test the release.

I have also created FSO forum thread for the feedback regarding the release at https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/xperia-tama-port-4-3-0-12-release/9428.
    thanks. I gave it a shot and was able to install it on my SO-05K after editing the flash script (replace the H8314 with SO-05K basically and also edit the mdr list accordingly! aka put in the new mdr5 for the edited script).
    everything seems to run fine, but sadly I couldn't figure out how to get waydroid onto the device... and then another issue popped up with is sadly somewhat of a deal breaker: I couldn't find a way to input Japanese text, which in Japan is kinda essential :/
    I sadly don't have much time to experiment any further today, so I will covert it back to android (since this is kinda my daily driver).
    I think I will try again after doing more research and in case Lineage continues to fail...
    Re Japanese: no idea. Try to ask at https://forum.sailfishos.org/

Re waydroid: It is packaged and distributed via Chum repos. See Waydroid instructions at https://github.com/sailfishos-open/waydroid, Chum install at https://github.com/sailfishos-chum/main

All in case if you wish to experiment later :)

- check emails
    - use telegram
    - use line
    - use tethering via usb.

I don't have any feedback regarding your specific Tama device. So, check the thread and see if you can find info on it.

Regarding other aspects:

- Flatpak is not supported. I will probably bump hybris version with the next update, but cannot guarantee it will help Flatpak nor it would work out if I bump to the version newer than used in SFOS 4.3.0.12. So, some experimentation would be needed.

- We have support for Android apps via Waydroid. How good it is and whether it is sufficient for Telegram - no idea. Some apps seem to run just fine with it.

- You can use it for checking email (standard protocols are supported, IMAP, POP3, SMTP; MS Exchange is not), make/receive phone calls. Tethering via USB I don't use, have used WiFi tethering and it works. So, don't know whether USB one works.

- For maps you have native Pure Maps :) .
    Hello, are there any other steps for waydroid installation? I have installed the runner and followed the steps but it seems to be stuck at loading screen.
    These types of questions - not port specific - please raise at general forums, such as forum.sailfishos.org. Otherwise we get info fragmented and distributed all over the place
    (as common on XDA, see below. work is released under MIT license)
    Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
    * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
    */

I am happy to announce a port of Sailfish OS to Sony Xperia XZ2. It is expected that this port would allow us to add support to XZ2 compact and XZ3 in a rather simple manner. As I have a single-sim device, that's the model its ported to first. To cover all six devices in Tama family, I may need some assistance from the owners. Please open an issue in the project's main repo to discuss specific model and what's needed to make it possible.

As this announcement is made at TMO and XDA, I will keep it short and avoid repetition.

Current features, state, download links: https://github.com/sailfishos-sony-tama/main/blob/master/README.md

The port was made possible thanks to the help from Sailfish porters (mal, piggz, deathmist, Mister_Magister,*vknecht, spiiroin) as well as Sony AOSP community (MartinX3, jerpelea, oshmoun,*Marijn,*kholk). And I suspect that I forgot someone, as very many contributed. Thank you very much!

I will be following on XDA and TMO. Please file issues centrally, at Github.

Sailfish OS, ROM for the Xperia XZ2

Contributors
    rinigus Thaodan
    ROM OS Version: 10.x
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.14.x
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information
    Stable
    Current Stable Version: 4.3.0.12
    Stable Release Date: 2021-12-02

Created 2019-11-24
    Last Updated 2021-12-02
    This is to announce the first release based on AOSP10 and using aarch64 for Sony Xperia Tama platform.

Release is based on 4.1.0.24 Sailfish and is using the latest AOSP10 as a base. I consider it alpha right now due to limited testing. Most of the testing was done on development device while fixing the port bugs. Now it is installed on my daily driver and I will be able to test it further.

This release has changed the base and switched to aarch64. As a result, you have to reflash it. In documentation, I wrote down the instructions for those who switch from AOSP9 based port.

The port was started in the end of February, including the development of TBuilder to automate the builds. There are still some rough corners, see issues labeled with hybris-10 tag in the issue tracker. While it is not using OBS, future OTA are supported (see documentation for details).

Compared to AOSP9, I couldn't make hardware acceleration work on Flatpak apps. So, right now, Flatpak support is not there. Not sure whether I can make it work.

I would like to invite others to test the release. For XZ3 device owners - please check whether your phone calls work as expected. I have reverted some changes introduced in AOSP10 to cancel echo during the phone calls (issue 125) and it worked fine on XZ2 and XZ2c. So, please pay attention and test it by calling others, check whether microphone levels are OK and whether there is any echo in the call. Please report back your findings.

I plan to maintain only one base. If AOSP10 will work fine, it will be used as a base for the port.

Release available at: https://github.com/sailfishos-sony-tama/main/releases/tag/4.1.0.24-aosp10-alpha1

See release notes and read the documentation before flashing.
    This is to announce 4.0.1.48 Sailfish release for Sony Tama devices. Update is available via OTA and as flashable images (images uploaded right now).

Before updating read the release notes at https://github.com/sailfishos-sony-tama/main/releases/tag/4.0.1.48. Pay attention to the bugs that have been associated with the update and referred to in the release notes.

Work on the update was started by Thaodan which allowed me to continue from already good state.

Note that while I have tested final release for a day, it has not been tested extensively. So, as usual, for those who want to be on the safe side, wait bit longer and see if issues will start popping up in github repository or forum threads (TMO and XDA).

I have started the work on switching to AOSP10 and aarch64 base. It boots, WiFi, calls, cellular network, GPS, camera all work. With the calls, there is a huge echo and there is a host of other issues that need to be resolved before getting it out as a beta. I will try to tag the current issues with that port using hybris-10 label to make them accessible via https://github.com/sailfishos-sony-tama/main/issues?q=is:issue+is:open+label:hybris-10.

Plan is, after some testing as a beta release, that we will switch over to AOSP10/aarch64 and retire the current AOSP9/arm32 version. But that would require fixing the issues to ensure that we wouldn't loose daily driver quality of the port.
    What is needed to add the android support?
    A bought license from sailfish?
    Because on their website there is a payable version with android support for specific phones.

"Sailfish licensing customers choose if they wish to use, or not to use, the Android application compatibility part in the OS."

In practice, there are two ways to get Android support:

- get an officially supported device (xperia x, xa2, 10) and buy license. That will allow you to use their Aliendalvik software which provides Android support. Not perfect support, but works for decent amount of apps.

- develop open-source Android compatibility stack, for example Anbox. I don't know much about Anbox development, though. From the outsider perspective, such as mine, it looks rather slow.

At this moment, none will work on Xperia Tama. As mentioned earlier in the thread, look what you really need and, if it is missing, develop it. Obviously, it will not work for closed-protocols apps. But then you have to choose, whether to stay on Android, get dumb phone for few Android apps that you need, or ditch the closed-protocol apps. In some respect, trying to emulate Android on other platforms seems to me unproductive, but that's my personal opinion.
    New release is out based on AOSP10/aarch64. After testing and discussion on SFO, I am switching the port to AOSP10/aarch64 base and will continue releases on that base from now on.

While it is inconvenient to reflash the device and set it up again, I think a better camera does justify it. On my side, it will be just too much work to support multiple bases / ports, so I had to make a choice.