[GNU/LINUX][4.5.0.16] Sailfish OS for Xperia Tama devices

Search This thread

rinigus

Nov 15, 2015
Regarding 2 SIM issues - you do have the both SIMs inserted, right?

Re developer mode: indeed, it cannot be disabled. Maybe as we have some developer packages added in the port. But you should be able to disable remote connections.

lal883

Dec 28, 2017
Curious, does the Tama AOSP 10, aarch64 build improve camera quality on Sailfish to the same level as that of AOSP 10?

Not that it matters. But would be cool to have a better camera.

rinigus

Nov 15, 2015
Very high volume of signals, including system events.
Very high brightness Led indicator.
yes, you have to keep volume down. so, after install, go through the settings and adjust the volumes. don't think I can do much about that.

multisim package should be installed automatically with the next version update

Reactions: Zuyev

Zuyev

Aug 25, 2007
Bogoroditsk
Original Style Cover Stand SCSH40 arrived today. Hall sensor is not working.

Attachments

• 20210423_001.png
    20210423_001.png
    214.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Zuyev

Aug 25, 2007
Bogoroditsk
I use it as my main phone for three days.
Very good work. Overall better than the licensed XA2 Plus.
Minuses:
1) inoperative hall sensor (native book cover SCSH40 does not turn off the display);
2) speaker volume is very high ([AOSP] Speakers clipping and distortion);
3) very bright LED (not critical for me).
Thanks again for your work.

rinigus

Nov 15, 2015
I use it as my main phone for three days.
Very good work. Overall better than the licensed XA2 Plus.
Minuses:
1) inoperative hall sensor (native book cover SCSH40 does not turn off the display);
2) speaker volume is very high ([AOSP] Speakers clipping and distortion);
3) very bright LED (not critical for me).
Thanks again for your work.
I would suggest to file issues under a repo in github. That's a place we look to fix them and it will otherwise disappear in this thread history

iamlgfan111

Apr 12, 2021
(as common on XDA, see below. work is released under MIT license)
Code:
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
/*
* We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
* you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
*/

I am happy to announce a port of Sailfish OS to Sony Xperia XZ2. It is expected that this port would allow us to add support to XZ2 compact and XZ3 in a rather simple manner. As I have a single-sim device, that's the model its ported to first. To cover all six devices in Tama family, I may need some assistance from the owners. Please open an issue in the project's main repo to discuss specific model and what's needed to make it possible.

As this announcement is made at TMO and XDA, I will keep it short and avoid repetition.

Current features, state, download links: https://github.com/sailfishos-sony-tama/main/blob/master/README.md

The port was made possible thanks to the help from Sailfish porters (mal, piggz, deathmist, Mister_Magister,*vknecht, spiiroin) as well as Sony AOSP community (MartinX3, jerpelea, oshmoun,*Marijn,*kholk). And I suspect that I forgot someone, as very many contributed. Thank you very much!

I will be following on XDA and TMO. Please file issues centrally, at Github.

Sailfish OS, ROM for the Xperia XZ2

Contributors
rinigus Thaodan
ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
Based On: AOSP

Version Information
Stable
Current Stable Version: 4.0.1.48
Stable Release Date: 2021-03-12

Created 2019-11-24
Last Updated 2021-03-12
Can I install Sailfish OS on Xperia XZ2 Softbank 702SO? I have Xperia XZ2 Softbank 702SO with Global rom installed.

lal883

Dec 28, 2017
yes, you have to keep volume down. so, after install, go through the settings and adjust the volumes. don't think I can do much about that.

Would it be an idea to limit the maximum volume of pulseaudio sink output to a lower level to prevent clipping?

I currently run "pactl set-sink-volume 1 75%" after every boot so that even if I set 100% volume in user space the speakers do not clip.

rinigus

Nov 15, 2015
Would it be an idea to limit the maximum volume of pulseaudio sink output to a lower level to prevent clipping?

I currently run "pactl set-sink-volume 1 75%" after every boot so that even if I set 100% volume in user space the speakers do not clip.
That's probably a good way of doing it. I'll copy your suggestion into corresponding issue. Haven't tested it yet

Reactions: lal883

rinigus

Nov 15, 2015
This is to announce the first release based on AOSP10 and using aarch64 for Sony Xperia Tama platform.

Release is based on 4.1.0.24 Sailfish and is using the latest AOSP10 as a base. I consider it alpha right now due to limited testing. Most of the testing was done on development device while fixing the port bugs. Now it is installed on my daily driver and I will be able to test it further.

This release has changed the base and switched to aarch64. As a result, you have to reflash it. In documentation, I wrote down the instructions for those who switch from AOSP9 based port.

The port was started in the end of February, including the development of TBuilder to automate the builds. There are still some rough corners, see issues labeled with hybris-10 tag in the issue tracker. While it is not using OBS, future OTA are supported (see documentation for details).

Compared to AOSP9, I couldn't make hardware acceleration work on Flatpak apps. So, right now, Flatpak support is not there. Not sure whether I can make it work.

I would like to invite others to test the release. For XZ3 device owners - please check whether your phone calls work as expected. I have reverted some changes introduced in AOSP10 to cancel echo during the phone calls (issue 125) and it worked fine on XZ2 and XZ2c. So, please pay attention and test it by calling others, check whether microphone levels are OK and whether there is any echo in the call. Please report back your findings.

I plan to maintain only one base. If AOSP10 will work fine, it will be used as a base for the port.

Release available at: https://github.com/sailfishos-sony-tama/main/releases/tag/4.1.0.24-aosp10-alpha1

See release notes and read the documentation before flashing.

rinigus

Nov 15, 2015
New release is out based on AOSP10/aarch64. After testing and discussion on SFO, I am switching the port to AOSP10/aarch64 base and will continue releases on that base from now on.

While it is inconvenient to reflash the device and set it up again, I think a better camera does justify it. On my side, it will be just too much work to support multiple bases / ports, so I had to make a choice.

cesarp3791

Sep 5, 2012
OnePlus 3
Hello everyone. My device is XZ2 single sim

I am planning to switch to Sailfish, from my LineageOS 18.1 Official to the latest Sailfish release.

Must/should fresh stock rom be installed first on XZ2? To avoid issues or something?

Is okay to follow the flashing instructions while having LineageOS installed? I didn't even install magisk. Only rom and gapps. Everything is working and functioning in LineageOS as of now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    (as common on XDA, see below. work is released under MIT license)
    Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
    * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
    */

I am happy to announce a port of Sailfish OS to Sony Xperia XZ2. It is expected that this port would allow us to add support to XZ2 compact and XZ3 in a rather simple manner. As I have a single-sim device, that's the model its ported to first. To cover all six devices in Tama family, I may need some assistance from the owners. Please open an issue in the project's main repo to discuss specific model and what's needed to make it possible.

As this announcement is made at TMO and XDA, I will keep it short and avoid repetition.

Current features, state, download links: https://github.com/sailfishos-sony-tama/main/blob/master/README.md

The port was made possible thanks to the help from Sailfish porters (mal, piggz, deathmist, Mister_Magister,*vknecht, spiiroin) as well as Sony AOSP community (MartinX3, jerpelea, oshmoun,*Marijn,*kholk). And I suspect that I forgot someone, as very many contributed. Thank you very much!

I will be following on XDA and TMO. Please file issues centrally, at Github.

Sailfish OS, ROM for the Xperia XZ2

Contributors
    rinigus Thaodan
    ROM OS Version: 10.x
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.14.x
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information
    Stable
    Current Stable Version: 4.5.0.16
    Stable Release Date: 2023-02-13

Created 2019-11-24
    Last Updated 2023-02-13
    This is to announce 4.0.1.48 Sailfish release for Sony Tama devices. Update is available via OTA and as flashable images (images uploaded right now).

Before updating read the release notes at https://github.com/sailfishos-sony-tama/main/releases/tag/4.0.1.48. Pay attention to the bugs that have been associated with the update and referred to in the release notes.

Work on the update was started by Thaodan which allowed me to continue from already good state.

Note that while I have tested final release for a day, it has not been tested extensively. So, as usual, for those who want to be on the safe side, wait bit longer and see if issues will start popping up in github repository or forum threads (TMO and XDA).

I have started the work on switching to AOSP10 and aarch64 base. It boots, WiFi, calls, cellular network, GPS, camera all work. With the calls, there is a huge echo and there is a host of other issues that need to be resolved before getting it out as a beta. I will try to tag the current issues with that port using hybris-10 label to make them accessible via https://github.com/sailfishos-sony-tama/main/issues?q=is:issue+is:open+label:hybris-10.

Plan is, after some testing as a beta release, that we will switch over to AOSP10/aarch64 and retire the current AOSP9/arm32 version. But that would require fixing the issues to ensure that we wouldn't loose daily driver quality of the port.
    This is to announce the first release based on AOSP10 and using aarch64 for Sony Xperia Tama platform.

Release is based on 4.1.0.24 Sailfish and is using the latest AOSP10 as a base. I consider it alpha right now due to limited testing. Most of the testing was done on development device while fixing the port bugs. Now it is installed on my daily driver and I will be able to test it further.

This release has changed the base and switched to aarch64. As a result, you have to reflash it. In documentation, I wrote down the instructions for those who switch from AOSP9 based port.

The port was started in the end of February, including the development of TBuilder to automate the builds. There are still some rough corners, see issues labeled with hybris-10 tag in the issue tracker. While it is not using OBS, future OTA are supported (see documentation for details).

Compared to AOSP9, I couldn't make hardware acceleration work on Flatpak apps. So, right now, Flatpak support is not there. Not sure whether I can make it work.

I would like to invite others to test the release. For XZ3 device owners - please check whether your phone calls work as expected. I have reverted some changes introduced in AOSP10 to cancel echo during the phone calls (issue 125) and it worked fine on XZ2 and XZ2c. So, please pay attention and test it by calling others, check whether microphone levels are OK and whether there is any echo in the call. Please report back your findings.

I plan to maintain only one base. If AOSP10 will work fine, it will be used as a base for the port.

Release available at: https://github.com/sailfishos-sony-tama/main/releases/tag/4.1.0.24-aosp10-alpha1

See release notes and read the documentation before flashing.
    What is needed to add the android support?
    A bought license from sailfish?
    Because on their website there is a payable version with android support for specific phones.

"Sailfish licensing customers choose if they wish to use, or not to use, the Android application compatibility part in the OS."

In practice, there are two ways to get Android support:

- get an officially supported device (xperia x, xa2, 10) and buy license. That will allow you to use their Aliendalvik software which provides Android support. Not perfect support, but works for decent amount of apps.

- develop open-source Android compatibility stack, for example Anbox. I don't know much about Anbox development, though. From the outsider perspective, such as mine, it looks rather slow.

At this moment, none will work on Xperia Tama. As mentioned earlier in the thread, look what you really need and, if it is missing, develop it. Obviously, it will not work for closed-protocols apps. But then you have to choose, whether to stay on Android, get dumb phone for few Android apps that you need, or ditch the closed-protocol apps. In some respect, trying to emulate Android on other platforms seems to me unproductive, but that's my personal opinion.
    development builds for XZ2 and XZ2c variants

I am expanding a raster of devices with the images from Tama family. As mentioned above, XZ3 is
    still missing mount points, hence its builds are not ready. However, as large fraction of the build if offloaded to the build servers, including generation of the images, it will be 'easy' to extend it to XZ3.

Currently, there are development builds for

- XZ2 single sim - release build is available as well and better use that
    - XZ2 dual sim
    - XZ2 compact single and dual

The images are available at https://thaodan.de/public/sailfishos/community/images/sony/tama/ (select appropriate device image, as based on its code https://developer.sony.com/develop/open-devices/get-started/supported-devices-and-functionality). Thanks to Thaodan for providing server space!

I have not tested those images as mine is from earlier days. In particular, I am looking for feedback regarding

- whether images work on any of the devices. They do share the same vbmeta (see flashing instructions) which maybe a wrong assumption of mine.
    - whether dual sim support works on dual-sim devices

In short, if you flashed it, please do report back. Even if its just report all is OK.

Boot sequence is as follows:

- screen regarding unlocked bootloader
    - SONY logo
    - white brighter led while on SONY logo
    - white dimmer led while on SONY logo
    - blank screen
    - Sailfish greeting

Please note these are development images. If all works as intended (boots and functionality is as for XZ2 single sim), we will make new release images. The difference is in over-the-air update support - this is available to release images only.