• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Goclever Zoom.me adb connection

Search This thread

matisys

Dec 10, 2009
Hi Team,

Long story short - I have a problem with adb connection to Android device. And details below.

I've got a Goclever Zoom.me - Android 4.2.2 based photo frame. Really crappy device by the way... but, I really need to install some apk to have a possibility of remote connection to this device (FTP or SMB, or at least just create some network-shared directory). It would be also perfect to have any launcher with android menu and so on...

The issue is that it's impossible to connect to this device via adb. I remember that with old firmware it was actually possible, but long time ago (2015) I upgraded it to newer software, and official instruction to click 8 times a serial number in a device's software to enable USB debugging doesn't work anymore... I thought it had enabled debugging permanently but it seems to be not true, as adb nor fastboot don't see the device. PC recognizes it as a camera allowing to transfer files only.
Device doesn't have any hardware buttons except power and hard reset buttons. I was looking for any possibility to solder volume buttons, but didn't find a spot for them (mainboard is marked as: e351308 topwise-014).
I can connect OTG keyboard and mice instead, which may be helpful... but escaping nor ALT+ESC in the best case moves me to black screen with mouse cursor only...

Can you advice anything to connect to device via adb? What else can I try?

CXZa

Apr 9, 2013
Space
cxzstuff.blogspot.com
Modify the update perhaps? Seems to work.

Still available

80 page manual for a photo frame? LOL!

Well, some say repetitio est mater studiorum, so they have put it there twice...
LOL! 40 page manual for a photo frame...

Last edited:

matisys

Dec 10, 2009
Modify the update perhaps? Seems to work.
What do you mean by modifying the update? To modify /system/build.prop ?

I saw that thread, but the issue is that I can't update device again... PhoenixSuit nor adb can see it connected - seems like USB debugging is not enabled anymore and I can't enable it anyhow.

80 page manual for a photo frame? LOL!
(...)
LOL! 40 page manual for a photo frame...

That frame was released with a huge marketing action...but it became a failure as it's a terrible design in total - from housing to software...

jwoegerbauer

Jul 11, 2009
European Union
Hi Team,

Long story short - I have a problem with adb connection to Android device. And details below.

Can you advice anything to connect to device via adb? What else can I try?

That's really weird, because ADB since ever is integral part of every Android distribution. May be in the ROM your device is running on either ADB in fact isn't implemented or USB.debugging isn't allowed or ADB isn't bound to Android's USB-service.

Last edited:

CXZa

Apr 9, 2013
Space
cxzstuff.blogspot.com
What do you mean by modifying the update? To modify /system/build.prop ?

Meant flashing. So, do you have the MTK or Allwinner?
With one button it might be difficult to enter the update mode, but if opened you could possibly connect some pins to make boot to fail thus making it to boot such mode... IDK.

Other possibility is to make your wifi to connect to your own server instead of http://ota.zoom.me/ and let it "update" itself.
Their update zips are signed using test keys so you can make your own. (If recovery keys aren't changed when updated.) Or if you can enter the recovery mode then install it from sdcard.

Reactions: matisys

matisys

Dec 10, 2009
I have multiple tools, but none can see the device without debugging on.

It's actually easy to open, but I didn't find a proper spot to enforce recovery mode...

Other possibility is to make your wifi to connect to your own server instead of http://ota.zoom.me/ and let it "update" itself.
Their update zips are signed using test keys so you can make your own
How do you know that? :)

Running an own server is actually an easy part for me, but I'm not sure how to prepare a proper package...
There is actually an update package available to download:
But I couldn't modify it using Dragonface...

CXZa

Apr 9, 2013
Space
cxzstuff.blogspot.com
How do you know that? :)

I checked the recovery in case build.prop lies.
Then again is their update a zip? Might be something exotic.

I also checked their ota apk and tested it.
It didn't download. Sent a lot of info from my tab. Some didn't match (faked what I easily could)... or no updates anymore...
Gave 502...

Last edited:

CXZa

Apr 9, 2013
Space
cxzstuff.blogspot.com
I didn't find a proper spot

Another soc and device, but might work.
Battery removing might be the safest...

Try imgRePacker...

matisys

Dec 10, 2009
OK, I managed to unpack the img file and to edit build.prop - Thanks fot that info :) One small step forward.
I added:

qemu.hw.mainkeys=0
persist.service.adb.enable=1
persist.service.debuggable=1
persist.sys.usb.config=ptp,adb (this one already exists)

Hoping it will allow me to access the system via adb or screen directly after reflash.
I didn't pack it back yet as I still didn't manage to access this device from computer...
I tried to find a spot on mainboard - I've made a connection on two spots:

IMG_20201230_1441072.jpg

But no luck...
There is more spots however, but none marked as recovery, ADFU, or similar...

IMG_20201230_1443532.jpg

And still no USB debugging, nor adb connection...:/
Tried of course some tricks with power button holding, clicking, reseting while hold, etc...

Any further suggestions...?
Maybe some ideas to enforce upgrade via wifi? I can establish a server, but not sure what exactly server should serve...? Just an img file is rather not enough...

CXZa

Apr 9, 2013
Space
cxzstuff.blogspot.com
Below that E351308 text, or above if other way around, is the target for those pin suggestions. But try battery, you can always solder it back together,.. or just let it go empty - might work...

> what exactly server should serve...?
yeah, there probably is some data exchange before the download..

BTW, this img appears to have adb enabled, so it's not the last one... Or it's disabled by other means...

Data it sent:
{"genderId":-1,"email":"","Locale":{"L":"eng","S":"en_US","C":"USA"},"deviceInfo":{"TIME":1419244414000,"FINGERPRINT":"ZOOM_ME\/ZM7WIFI\/ZM7WIFI:4.2.2\/JDQ39\/20141222:eng\/test-keys","HARDWARE":"gs702a","VERSION.SDK_INT":17,"BOARD":"exdroid","PRODUCT":"ZM7WIFI","DISPLAY":"ZM7WIFI_20141222","VERSION.INCREMENTAL":"20141222","DEVICE":"ZM7WIFI","TAGS":"test-keys","MODEL":"ZM7WIFI","BOOTLOADER":"unknown","CPU_ABI":"armeabi-v7a","CPU_ABI2":"armeabi","VERSION.CODENAME":"REL","MANUFACTURER":"ZOOM_ME","BRAND":"ZOOM_ME"}}

That hardware exposed me. It didn't get that from *.prop files.

Last edited:

matisys

Dec 10, 2009
OK, so currently it's like below.

I already tried some tricks with battery - disconnecting, connecting while booting, and no luck...

I tried with all spots marked below - one by one, and some combinations of few of them...
IMG_20201230_1443533.jpg

And the status is like that - spots 2 and 3 - seems to be ignored when connected - device behaves like nothing happened. It's more interesting when I connected 1 or 4. Device didn't start, and in a computer it appeared as unknown winusb device or Billboard device when connected 4 (USB\VID_1F3A&PID_EFE8&REV_02;3).

Universal ADB driver installer doesn't recognize it...
The only driver I managed to install was Allwinner driver and it appeared as USB Device(VID_1f3a_PID_efe8).
But still no luck with adb connection... Phoenix suite also doesn't recognize the device... In this state screen remains black and AXP223 (Power management) quickly becomes hot as hell (battery unplugged)...
Once unsoldered - it went back to life.

I also realized that my device says that it is version ZM7WIFI_20150717... what is confusing a bit because in other place it says it's 2.2 23-5.03.2015 software version...

But still no connection or any option to flash it :(

Can you tell me how do you run this software/hardware to see what does it send?

CXZa

Apr 9, 2013
Space
cxzstuff.blogspot.com
Those pins that I mentioned at slatedroid are on the sides of that chip.. and don't solder, just place some tool - a needle between them. And if recognized remove it as after error it must function again in order to flash or what ever..

Here is one older post showing pin connecting for Amlogic,
that other was Actions Semi. Both go a mode that enables flashing when device looks dead. I don't know about Allwinner, is it similar...

Last edited:

matisys

Dec 10, 2009
So it seems that would be all, and the device got bricked...
I started the device with 7 and 8 pin of Flash memory connected - it was connected to PC and PhoenixSuite with original img loaded was running.Phoenix asked me immediately if I want to format the device - I clicked no, and it still started to flash the memory... It finished succesfully, device restarted and...now it freezes on initial logo.

Phoenix and adb recognize the device now, but adb shell doesn't work:

- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -

and when I try to repeat flashing, phoenix recognizes device, but once I click upgrade - device resets, and upgrade is not performed...

EDIT: It's not that bad... I managed to make it working again on original software, and after one more reflash - ADB works well :)

Thanks a lot for all your help! :)

Last edited:

matisys

Dec 10, 2009
It's actually hard to tell how it got fixed... instruction tells to not format the storage to not loose the unique device number - so I didn't, but it seems that it got formatted by itself as I lost all my pictures, but number remained untouched.

Now adb is enabled and I can freely connect to it - seems that something simply went wrong during previous upgrade years ago.

build.prop file gets restored after every reboot, so I can't put and store any changes there...
And OTA is not an issue as this device is not supported for a long time now ;) And I'm not exactly sure how to do it, and feel a bit afraid of touching it when it finally works... ;)

matisys

Dec 10, 2009
But just to finish entire project - can you recommend some reliable android SSH and FTP server? Or maybe something to share a folder via SMB?

CXZa

Apr 9, 2013
Space
cxzstuff.blogspot.com
But just to finish entire project - can you recommend some reliable android SSH and FTP server? Or maybe something to share a folder via SMB?

Not really but that android version limits the choices nicely...
Here is one saying it's open source.

I think I once tested cifs in that Action Semi but it was long ago and was ready made in that test boot img...

matisys

Dec 10, 2009
Thanks. Finally, after some trials I used SSHDroid and it's quite decent...

Can you also tell me how to permanently edit build.prop file? Mine is reverted to original after reboot. Device is factory rooted.

Top Liked Posts