• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Going from Pixel XL to Pixel 5

Search This thread

Ewto16

Oct 21, 2015
Thinking of going to the new Pixel 5 from my Pixel XL. I keep hearing people say the processor is crappy. Will it still be an improvement for me going from an older phone to this newer Pixel 5?

Ewto16

Oct 21, 2015
Of course it would be an upgrade. Cmon man

Well I wasn't sure. I think the Pixel XL had an 821 in it. I keep hearing about how much better the 800 series of processors are than the 700. The 700 are a mid-range. Like I compared it in my head to the regular Intel versus the Celeron.

I really didn't know, so it was a serious question. I read a lot of posts of people pooping on the processor in the Pixel 5.

jhanna1701

Aug 12, 2010
Can anyone compare the viewable screen size of a Pixel 4Xl compared to the 5? My question is, if going from a 4XL, and I actually losing viewable screen, or since there is no bezel, does the screen remain the same size?

Thanks

dudeman1st

May 6, 2011
PHX
Well I wasn't sure. I think the Pixel XL had an 821 in it. I keep hearing about how much better the 800 series of processors are than the 700. The 700 are a mid-range. Like I compared it in my head to the regular Intel versus the Celeron.

I really didn't know, so it was a serious question. I read a lot of posts of people pooping on the processor in the Pixel 5.

There are a ton of Pixel haters out there. I dunno why. Jealous? Paid shills by Apple and Samsung? All I know is that, if you told me that a 4 y.o. gen Core i7 (Kaby or Coffee Lake) ran better than a current gen Ryzen 5 (4500), I'd laugh. There might be room for debate, but not much. Here's a comparison I found of the ARM chips: https://gadgetversus.com/processor/...5g-vs-qualcomm-msm8996-pro-ab-snapdragon-821/

Ewto16

Oct 21, 2015

xRogerxC

Oct 2, 2010
The Seven Seas
I was able to get a Pixel 4XL for $599 an couple days ago (brand new), got a price match from an Amazon listing, and I had $500 in rewards certificates (I buy a lot from Best Buy), so it cost me $99 plus tax and screen protector and case. To me, the Pixel 5 is just not worth it, smaller screen and lower resolution, slower processor and more. It's good enough for me to wait and see if they make a Pixel 6XL. 6.3 inch screen is the smallest I'll go, and I actually prefer 6.5 to 6.7 inch screens. To each their own, but I just don't see the value in a Pixel 5 vice the Pixel 4XL, especially if you can get a new one for $599 or less.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk