• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Going to use 1080p on this device for a few days

Search This thread

galaxynote2

Sep 26, 2012
Buenos Aires - Argentina
I'm going to downscale the device resolution to 1080p for a few days if the 2K screen really affects the battery that bad.. If you want to do this, download Resolution Changer from Google Play, and set the screen res to 1080x1920 480 dpi, apply and reboot (important to reboot, if not, the UI will be messed up)
Going to edit this in 3 days. Cheers!

scoopdreams

Jun 5, 2010
Unless you only use up exactly 1920x1080 pixels on the screen battery life is not going to change much.

Right now that resolution just causes the screen to upscale so the only battery savings would be from the gpu working less driving a lower resolution. The screen which is the main batt hog will still be drawing power as per normal.

Reactions: somemadcaaant

Sublation

Jan 5, 2013
Unless you are 3D gaming at 2K then there will be little savings if any. 2D is pretty easy to render at 2K Resolution. And the GPU is probably optimized for 2K and NOT 1080p. So you might actually see a performance decrease running lower resolutions like the old days of Voodoo2 GPU on PC. I dont know... benchmark it and see.

Lodix

Oct 2, 2013
Unless you are 3D gaming at 2K then there will be little savings if any. 2D is pretty easy to render at 2K Resolution. And the GPU is probably optimized for 2K and NOT 1080p. So you might actually see a performance decrease running lower resolutions like the old days of Voodoo2 GPU on PC. I dont know... benchmark it and see.
There is no such a optimization for a specific resolution.

B

bnghty

Unless you only use up exactly 1920x1080 pixels on the screen battery life is not going to change much.

Right now that resolution just causes the screen to upscale so the only battery savings would be from the gpu working less driving a lower resolution. The screen which is the main batt hog will still be drawing power as per normal.

unfortunately, this is the correct response. even though the human eye cannot spot the difference between 2K and 1080p if the screen isn't right on your eyes (there have been several articles about it on XDA portal..interesting reading), lowering the resolution on this device is useless as your phone will power the extra pixles(they are still there) but the GPU just won't process them.
2K was and will be a marking gimmik to sell more phones. just like 64 bit.
hopefully we'll see a 5.5' flagship this year with 1080p- same view as 2K on 5.5' screens and with 6+ SOT easily.

Simonetti2011

Sep 3, 2010
Belo Horizonte

That is correct, but there's one more thing:

the GPU won't work less. Whatever power is saved not having to draw the full size of the screen, will be spent upscalling the 1920x1080 image to 2560x1440. I bet that this upscalling can draw even more power from the battery than simply let it work on its native resolution.

So, if your intention is to save power, reducing the resolution is a bad idea, and it is totally useless.

The only reason to lower the resolution is if you have eyesight problems.

Lodix

Oct 2, 2013
unfortunately, this is the correct response. even though the human eye cannot spot the difference between 2K and 1080p if the screen isn't right on your eyes (there have been several articles about it on XDA portal..interesting reading), lowering the resolution on this device is useless as your phone will power the extra pixles(they are still there) but the GPU just won't process them.
hopefully we'll see a 5.5' flagship this year with 1080p- same view as 2K on 5.5' screens and with 6+ SOT easily.
With Snapdragon 810 forget about it xD

The LG G Flex 2 has a poor battery life taking in mind the Full HD+ 3000mAh + the supposed lower power Snapdragon 810.

B

bnghty

With Snapdragon 810 forget about it xD

The LG G Flex 2 has a poor battery life taking in mind the Full HD+ 3000mAh + the supposed lower power Snapdragon 810.

''Thankfully, the battery isn't as persnickety as the rest of the phone: It typically managed about 13 hours on a single charge, all while I was futzing around in HipChat and Hangouts, firing off emails from CloudMagic and playing the occasional documentary in the background on YouTube. When it came time for our standard video-rundown test (all together now: looping a 720p video with screen brightness set to 50 percent), the new G Flex held out for ten hours and 13 minutes before needing a top-up. As it turns out, the charger's no slouch either; it takes the phone from 0 to 50 percent in about an hour, and it'll top off the battery completely in less than an hour after that.''

http://www.engadget.com/2015/02/18/lg-g-flex-2-review/

I'm reading mixed reviews about the LG F Flex 2. however all in all I don't think 10 SOT at 50% brightness is less than amazing (they didn't put a chart showing comparisons to other phones, but personally I don't get more then 5.5 SOT on the note 4 no matter what)

Lodix

Oct 2, 2013
''Thankfully, the battery isn't as persnickety as the rest of the phone: It typically managed about 13 hours on a single charge, all while I was futzing around in HipChat and Hangouts, firing off emails from CloudMagic and playing the occasional documentary in the background on YouTube. When it came time for our standard video-rundown test (all together now: looping a 720p video with screen brightness set to 50 percent), the new G Flex held out for ten hours and 13 minutes before needing a top-up. As it turns out, the charger's no slouch either; it takes the phone from 0 to 50 percent in about an hour, and it'll top off the battery completely in less than an hour after that.''

http://www.engadget.com/2015/02/18/lg-g-flex-2-review/

I'm reading mixed reviews about the LG F Flex 2. however all in all I don't think 10 SOT at 50% brightness is less than amazing (they didn't put a chart showing comparisons to other phones, but personally I don't get more then 5.5 SOT on the note 4 no matter what)
Personal usages are subjective and I don't care about them.

It is not 10hours of SOT in normal usage, it was a test.

In GSMarena where they do pretty well battery Test comparisons, they show a mediocre scores from what you should have expected.

alex9898

Mar 12, 2009
At The same standard-test, Engadget says that Note 4 get 13h.

But 50% brightness on Note 4 is two times higher (291nits) than on the GFlex 2 (152nits).
So results are pretty poor on the Gflex 2 considering the fact that both have the same max brightness.

Reactions: Lodix

nacholo

Sep 2, 2009
I'm going to downscale the device resolution to 1080p for a few days if the 2K screen really affects the battery that bad.. If you want to do this, download Resolution Changer from Google Play, and set the screen res to 1080x1920 480 dpi, apply and reboot (important to reboot, if not, the UI will be messed up)

Antutu results:

48715 with 2k resolution
52553 with 1080

Interesting.. but the samsung keyboard size is bad. How can i fix it¿?

Thanks

POLO_i780

Jun 15, 2008
Antutu results:

48715 with 2k resolution
52553 with 1080

Interesting.. but the samsung keyboard size is bad. How can i fix it¿?

Thanks

I get 52526 at 2K:
UeshlTP.jpg

toofimoofi

Sep 22, 2013
My N910F scored lower in 1080p then it did in 2k.

The highest score is default resolution.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-02-23-21-27-29.png
    Screenshot_2015-02-23-21-27-29.png
    136 KB · Views: 391
  • Screenshot_2015-02-23-21-35-40.png
    Screenshot_2015-02-23-21-35-40.png
    131.6 KB · Views: 393

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Once you use phone with Gear VR you will know that even 2K is not enough.

Sent from my SM-N910T using XDA Free mobile app

There is no such a optimization for a specific resolution.

Good job you work for Samsung and are privvy to their device drivers etc and cleared that up for us.
    Good job you work for Samsung and are privvy to their device drivers etc and cleared that up for us.

Exactly that.

To the moderator's, just close this thread before it becomes a cesspool.