Question Good phone for custom ROMs?

Search This thread
Apr 3, 2021
Hey guys I am seriously considering buying the Note 10 (mojito) and I would like to know your opinions on custom ROMs for it. The Note 10 ticks all the boxes for me, but I worry that phones like the Note 10 PRO and PRO MAX will take most of the attention of Devs and therefore custom ROM development in mojito will not receive much attention. Do you think this is a valid worry?

I want my next phone to run deGoogled ROMs (like LOS), is mojito going to be a good choice for this?
Right now in my country its price is very good, while the PRO/MAX variants haven't arrived yet. It will be some time before they do, and even more before their price drops. So mojito is a very strong contender for me.

To clarify, I am not complaining there isn't a deGoogled custom ROM yet, only asking if you guys think it will get them.

UniNick

• Dec 6, 2020
    I already use a custom ROM without Google, dotOS 5.0.1.
    Installation of the Vanilla Version (without Google Services/Apps) via PE/AOSP or Lineage Recovery and ADB sideload.
    Here are the instructions:
    Just take dotOS ROM from here (instead of Pixel Experience ROM).

Afterwards the APKs for microG:

Activate all checkboxes in microG settings, reboot and disable battery optimization for all components.
    F-Droid and Aurora Store working, from there you can get the MozillaNLPbackend and NomatimNLPbackend and Deja Vu for location services without using Google.

Reactions: syntheticdingo

Abdullah.Csit

• Feb 14, 2014
    Iraq
    Nokia 8.1
    Redmi Note 10 Pro
    There is no need to worry. It's will claim a lot of development. the most reason was to not see a lot and lazy at the beginning is on our Device (mojito/sunny) we don't have Recovery partition! which let our development slow but we have a good stuff of developers that's works hard and got us on the road as you see the roms are coming till now we got 6 roms and 3 recoveries and Orangefox soon.

Reactions: syntheticdingo
    Apr 3, 2021
    Installation of the Vanilla Version (without Google Services/Apps) via PE/AOSP or Lineage Recovery and ADB sideload.

Activate all checkboxes in microG settings, reboot and disable battery optimization for all components.
    F-Droid and Aurora Store working, from there you can get the MozillaNLPbackend and NomatimNLPbackend and Deja Vu for location services without using Google.
    Amazing man, this is awesome. I was not aware that there was a deGoogled ROM for it already, nor that dotOS existed and was so slick. I will definitely take a look at this.

Does it pass SafetyNet?

Would you happen to know who the developer/maintainer for that unofficial ROM is? I looked around and couldn't find a page for it here on XDA.

Nevermind, saw here that there isn't an XDA page for some ROM for the the time being. Since I have never flashed a custom ROM on any phone, I will wait for one to see what are people's experiences with it.

Last edited:
    Apr 3, 2021
    There is no need to worry. It's will claim a lot of development. the most reason was to not see a lot and lazy at the beginning is on our Device (mojito/sunny) we don't have Recovery partition! which let our development slow but we have a good stuff of developers that's works hard and got us on the road as you see the roms are coming till now we got 6 roms and 3 recoveries and Orangefox soon.
    Sweet, this is comforting. I am really looking forward to deGoogling my phone, but am a little hesitant since I have zero experience flashing ROMs hahaha. Was going to go for a phone with Official LOS support but models available to me are the same price as the Note 10, but nowhere near as good.

UniNick

• Dec 6, 2020
    After testing dotOS (vanilla) with microG for a couple of days and with a lot of apps, I'd say it's not usable as a daily driver yet.
    There are problems with most apps that use maps, like Uber or Wolt or DHL parcel service.
    They generate error messages that google services are not properly installed and quit or malfunction.
    However, microG and the corresponding locations services install perfectly and don't show any errors.
    I didn't have such problems with other ROMs on other phones (but always using microG), e.g. crDroid or ArrowOS or LineageOS.

Apr 3, 2021
    Thanks for the feedback. Is that the only issue with the ROM?

I am really sold on DotOS, it is very close to stock and has very beautiful customizations. My problem with the one that is available so far is that it doesnt look very transparent (at least to me). No source code available, no page here. And I dont know how serious the Dev is about maintaining it, nor how credible he is as well.
    Not really trying to test every ROM, just find one that is stable, deGoogled and maintained.

UniNick

• Dec 6, 2020
    I think you're a couple of months too early with your questions, the phone is pretty new and the ROMS and recoveries in a very early state.

Apr 3, 2021
    hahaha yes, I am afraid so.

My phone's battery is starting to act up, so I will have to make a purchase soon. May take a leap of faith on this phone and see how much attention it gets from the dev community 🤞

Thanks for your feedback!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Does it pass SafetyNet?
      On unrooted dotOS with just microG: no.

However, 2 out of 3 banking apps work.