Goodbye Huawei? What is your next phone?

SHOULD HUAWEI ALLOW THE BOOTLOADER TO BE UNLOCKED

• YES

Votes: 30 90.9%
  • NO

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moandal

Oct 7, 2005
I've had my Mate 20X for over 2 years now, the longest I've had a phone for a long time, and I think I'll have it a while yet. The Note 20 Ultra is the only other phone that takes my fancy but there's nothing about it that's a significant upgrade over the M20X and you're losing 12% of the screen area.

Reactions: s327374

indestructible master

Nov 8, 2015
Bar, Montenegro
yes, i really fell in love with how huawei make devices, cheap and quality
but i never liked its locked bootloader.
i finally flashed lineage os on my 2 year old huawei and i must say i am impressed how much potential this device have (and as always, no stock ROM is perfect, i just love custom ROM because you dont lose features because OEM decided to do so, or get sudden change in UI because OEM decided so)
i think my next is samsung, even if i hated it so much for its slowness after 2 years (for price you pay), and weak battery as it can be better, and terrible touchwiz which dragged whole system to hell, (i dont like one ui either), but i will buy it just because its most accesibile in my area, and have most support for custom ROMs.
i tought about keeping my precious huawei device i still have (just to swap with new battery) but unfortunately, on custom ROM back camera dont work, so sad.
and further on the future, if i want to upgrade, i wont be able as all is locked (i even had hardships to unlock on mine), and to add to that, new huawei devices dont have google apps which are foundation to my productivity and sync between devices.
it just became from diamond to coal again, unuseful for price you pay and hardware it have.

Limeybastard

Oct 3, 2013
Florida unfortunately.
So how are you finding the Note 20 Ultra? What makes it worth spending £1000 over the Mate 20 X? I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts.
I traded in a device and paid, $568 out of the door for mine.
I had sold my Mate 20X a few months ago, and had a few other devices in between my current N20U. Owned Note devices before my mate 20x and have found them to be satisfactory.
Wasn't the Mate 20X 4G edition approx $899 or more when it was released?

Reactions: Moandal

Moandal

Oct 7, 2005
I traded in a device and paid, $568 out of the door for mine.
I had sold my Mate 20X a few months ago, and had a few other devices in between my current N20U. Owned Note devices before my mate 20x and have found them to be satisfactory.
Wasn't the Mate 20X 4G edition approx $899 or more when it was released?
I paid £795 for the Mate 20X with the stylus so indeed not a whole lot cheaper than the Note 20 Ultra. I could maybe get £350 for it so the upgrade would cost me about £650. I just don't see that the N20U does anything significantly better than the M20X even though it's 2 years younger, plus you're losing about 12% screen area. 5G is no use to me, I don't want wireless charging, and a120Hz screen refresh doesn't make a noticeable difference to me. Also, the camera system on the Mate 20X is so good that I doubt the Note takes much better photos.

I'm therefore keen to understand why you upgraded and what the benefits are for you.

Dmn100

Aug 14, 2010
I paid £795 for the Mate 20X with the stylus so indeed not a whole lot cheaper than the Note 20 Ultra. I could maybe get £350 for it so the upgrade would cost me about £650. I just don't see that the N20U does anything significantly better than the M20X even though it's 2 years younger, plus you're losing about 12% screen area. 5G is no use to me, I don't want wireless charging, and a120Hz screen refresh doesn't make a noticeable difference to me. Also, the camera system on the Mate 20X is so good that I doubt the Note takes much better photos.

I'm therefore keen to understand why you upgraded and what the benefits are for you.
I paid £499 for the phone, smart case and pen in August 2019 and still can't find any reason to upgrade. Note 20 Ultra reportedly has mediocre battery life (at least the Exynos version in the EU does where I live) and every time I've owned a Note I've always found that to be the biggest problem. I also had a Note 9 before this and had display issues with it. This phone is a beast and will probably only replace it if I find an absolute bargain. No way I'm spending €1k on a phone.

Reactions: PhoneTechShop

Limeybastard

Oct 3, 2013
Florida unfortunately.

Like I mentioned earlier, I had changed to another device before the N20U. For me the screen maybe 12% smaller but I find I can just about use it one handed if need be at times. The M20X was near impossible, due to its width and mainly shape. I also don't use wireless charging, never have so those features don't mean much to me. However for me I'm getting much better network bandwidth and compatibility using the N20U compared to the M20X, the latter had a few 4G LTE missing bands for my usage in the USA and carrier aggregation was questionable, wifi calling didn't work. The M20X wasn't intended to be used for my region hence those personal short comings. The M20X came out of the box with Android 9 and Android 11 will probably be it's last update, followed by a few security updates at best.
I find the N20U display panel quality to be stellar and a good upgrade visually from the M20X, the SPen is also slick albeit relocated to the wrong side on this incarnation. Battery life is good but nothing like the M20X was.
It's also worth noting that I generally upgrade or change devices yearly.

PhoneTechShop

Feb 7, 2019
I've had my Mate 20X for over 2 years now, the longest I've had a phone for a long time, and I think I'll have it a while yet. The Note 20 Ultra is the only other phone that takes my fancy but there's nothing about it that's a significant upgrade over the M20X and you're losing 12% of the screen area.
I compared with friends 20 ultra it isn't that big difference.. Ppl won't bother..

PhoneTechShop

Feb 7, 2019
yes, i really fell in love with how huawei make devices, cheap and quality
but i never liked its locked bootloader.
i finally flashed lineage os on my 2 year old huawei and i must say i am impressed how much potential this device have (and as always, no stock ROM is perfect, i just love custom ROM because you dont lose features because OEM decided to do so, or get sudden change in UI because OEM decided so)
i think my next is samsung, even if i hated it so much for its slowness after 2 years (for price you pay), and weak battery as it can be better, and terrible touchwiz which dragged whole system to hell, (i dont like one ui either), but i will buy it just because its most accesibile in my area, and have most support for custom ROMs.
i tought about keeping my precious huawei device i still have (just to swap with new battery) but unfortunately, on custom ROM back camera dont work, so sad.
and further on the future, if i want to upgrade, i wont be able as all is locked (i even had hardships to unlock on mine), and to add to that, new huawei devices dont have google apps which are foundation to my productivity and sync between devices.
it just became from diamond to coal again, unuseful for price you pay and hardware it have.
Can you root latest Samsung phones?

PhoneTechShop

Feb 7, 2019
I paid £499 for the phone, smart case and pen in August 2019 and still can't find any reason to upgrade. Note 20 Ultra reportedly has mediocre battery life (at least the Exynos version in the EU does where I live) and every time I've owned a Note I've always found that to be the biggest problem. I also had a Note 9 before this and had display issues with it. This phone is a beast and will probably only replace it if I find an absolute bargain. No way I'm spending €1k on a phone.
Expensive mate 20 x you have... I only paid £325 from Facebook marketplace

Moandal

Oct 7, 2005
Like I mentioned earlier, I had changed to another device before the N20U. For me the screen maybe 12% smaller but I find I can just about use it one handed if need be at times. The M20X was near impossible, due to its width and mainly shape. I also don't use wireless charging, never have so those features don't mean much to me. However for me I'm getting much better network bandwidth and compatibility using the N20U compared to the M20X, the latter had a few 4G LTE missing bands for my usage in the USA and carrier aggregation was questionable, wifi calling didn't work. The M20X wasn't intended to be used for my region hence those personal short comings. The M20X came out of the box with Android 9 and Android 11 will probably be it's last update, followed by a few security updates at best.
I find the N20U display panel quality to be stellar and a good upgrade visually from the M20X, the SPen is also slick albeit relocated to the wrong side on this incarnation. Battery life is good but nothing like the M20X was.
It's also worth noting that I generally upgrade or change devices yearly.
Thanks for your thoughts. The improved network bandwidth and compatibility will certainly be useful.

Reactions: Limeybastard

PhoneTechShop

Feb 7, 2019
i dont really want root on any phone i have, i just want custom ROM and to use custom ROM without root
but yes, you can root with magisk easily, samsung phones are most supported for custom ROMs and all flashy things you wish, i just complain about hardware for price you pay, especcialy battery
Really? Even latest ultra? So then their knox is for nothing then...

nickb99NZ

Aug 16, 2012
I've just bagged another Mate 20X from Argos UK £315.
Nice deal! Refurb? Good warranty?
I've enjoyed my 20x much more than I expected after buying it as a lockdown phone for media and games. I thought the screen would be impractical but it really grew on me after a day. It fits in a jeans pocket, battery lasts an age and the split screen makes multitasking a pleasure. Even accessories can be had cheap now as the phone popularity drops.
I generally trade phones every year but I don't need 5g or wireless charging, so the Mate might be the rare device I keep for longer, just for the pleasure of using something so well made.