• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Goodbye Huawei? What is your next phone?

SHOULD HUAWEI ALLOW THE BOOTLOADER TO BE UNLOCKED

• YES

Votes: 30 90.9%
  • NO

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

nickb99NZ

Aug 16, 2012
Actually it never felt too big to me either...that was a surprise when I opened the box. They certainly look big next to other phones but for me it was completely usable. As a big guy with big fingers I found two finger typing really good. Am now on a Galaxy s20 Ultra, 6.9". The Xiaomi Mi 11 battery life couldn't cut it. In fact neither can the Ultra compared to the 20x.
I'm not convinced about the longevity of the folding screens yet...if a quality manufacturer launched a 7.0" or 7.2" phone again with a decent spec I'd be all over it.

savbers

Dec 6, 2010
I've been looking to get off of this phone for SO LONG now.

The things I use most often that are super unique to this device are:

1. Crazy battery life (can run 2 days easily with light use, but never dies before bed time with heavy use)

2. IR blaster - I use this all the time and absolutely detest the switch away from this with smart TVs that are now adding ads!!! I'll stick with my dumb tv and Chromecast thx.

3. Headphone jack - self explanatory, this disqualifies many devices automatically, really I'd prefer an iPhone over any android phone without this.

4. Amazing cameras - the low light mode may not be the most accurate but it works soooo well. At least in the top leagues.

That is my most important features in a phone currently. But I've since had to add another because of the atrocities this brand and many in China have committed: not made in China.

The ONLY other phone that ive found that comes even CLOSE to the features of this device with that criteria is:

SONY XPERIA 5iii

And that doesn't have an IR blaster. 🙄 Plus Sony announced it last month but it won't be purchasable until September when the next iPhone is announced (and goes on sale)

I guess my next phone will be an iPhone... Which is honestly sad. So few manufacturers really compete for the enthusiasts anymore.

mwatson

Oct 16, 2007
Basingstoke
I've been looking to get off of this phone for SO LONG now.

The things I use most often that are super unique to this device are:

1. Crazy battery life (can run 2 days easily with light use, but never dies before bed time with heavy use)

2. IR blaster - I use this all the time and absolutely detest the switch away from this with smart TVs that are now adding ads!!! I'll stick with my dumb tv and Chromecast thx.

3. Headphone jack - self explanatory, this disqualifies many devices automatically, really I'd prefer an iPhone over any android phone without this.

4. Amazing cameras - the low light mode may not be the most accurate but it works soooo well. At least in the top leagues.

That is my most important features in a phone currently. But I've since had to add another because of the atrocities this brand and many in China have committed: not made in China.

The ONLY other phone that ive found that comes even CLOSE to the features of this device with that criteria is:

SONY XPERIA 5iii

And that doesn't have an IR blaster. 🙄 Plus Sony announced it last month but it won't be purchasable until September when the next iPhone is announced (and goes on sale)

I guess my next phone will be an iPhone... Which is honestly sad. So few manufacturers really compete for the enthusiasts anymore.
what about the POCO F3? it has everything on your wish list

Moandal

Oct 7, 2005
There's still no other phone I would swap my Mate 20 X for. I'm not downsizing the screen without a big payback in some other area, and I don't want a foldable. Besides, the Z Fold 3 screen isn't even that much bigger.

nickb99NZ

Aug 16, 2012
I looked at the Honor x10 Max this week...big screen but needs to be hacked to run Google Play unfortunately. I'm trying a Poco F3 now...have owned other Poco and Xiaomi. Some were great, some not so much. If the F3 was rubbish I would have probably found another nearly new Mate 20x. But so far the F3 seems pretty good for the price. And easily accessible via Amazon.

I looked at the Honor x10 Max this week...big screen but needs to be hacked to run Google Play unfortunately. I'm trying a Poco F3 now...have owned other Poco and Xiaomi. Some were great, some not so much. If the F3 was rubbish I would have probably found another nearly new Mate 20x. But so far the F3 seems pretty good for the price. And easily accessible via Amazon.
I bought my no 2 brand new mate 20x some month ago on Aliexpress (8gb 256gb China version with global rom and it works 100% as my old global version mobile) ®️😀 besides my S21 ultra and mi 11 ultra, I sold s21 ultra some weeks after and I'm close to sell mi 11 ultra to 🤣
Love the big screen on mate 20x and it's still kicking asshh

Attachments

• IMG_20210820_153332.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 10

nickb99NZ

Aug 16, 2012
That's good to know. You think the Aliexpress listings are new-old-stock? I saw some really cheap ones on there that must be fakes. How did you decide which seller to buy from?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Problem with the S20 Ultra is that it is more narrow than the current S10 5G with a 6.7" screen (76mm vs 77.1mm). Phones are getting taller and narrower these days.

I just got an S10 5G and it is pretty awesome. The screen is curved but it seems to be not as curved as the Note 10 (I could be wrong on that but it seems that way to me and I had a Note 10 Plus for a day last week (returned due to damage)). The S10 5G is still quite a bit smaller than the Mate 20 X but overall it seems to be a great phone.

I've been using the S10 5G for a few days and it has been great.....

Until I took the Mate 20 X out of the drawer and powered it up. I switched back to the 20 X. :cool:
    Or maybe Samsung once they have successfully integrated AMD GPU on their upcoming flagships.

Things that matter to me are large screen, large battery, true stereo speakers, and exceptional performance. So it could be the next Kirin 1000 based mate xx or any other brands that provide those features.
    100% same as u.
    In. My world a Big phone with 19:9 is minimum 7 inch. But I prefer 16:6 6,8 inch
    I don't care of brand at all.

My priority is:
    1. Big display
    2. Big battery
    The rest is not that important for me nowadays, most phones in 2019- have okay specs.

But if I can get my 2 top priorities in a phone/phones, i buy this with best specs.

Last year I had Samsung Note 9, all to tiny for me.
    Then MI Max 3, then Honor 8x max, then Honor note 10 and since December 2018 my dear beloved Mate 20X.
    Every time I bought a phone a new was released short after... First time ever I remember that many Big phones the same year [emoji3]
    And now in 2019 Nothing, not even 1 Big phone is released... Hmmmmmmm.
    Dad is mad.

Send from my EVR-L29 (636) med Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 08:06 ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 ----------

You're a great Dane Right? How's Peter Schmeichel these days?

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk
    LOL I'm Danish yes and you?
    Peter is on pension now, but his son Kasper Schmeichel is a goalkeeper to and plays in the Leicester City F.C. in premier league [emoji1308]

Arrr ur from UK I see. [emoji1308]
    Can't u stop this Brexit cra., we getting so tired of hearing of this every day now [emoji1787]

Send from my EVR-L29 (636) med Tapatalk
    Hello Huawei, just bought another mate 20x.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk
    I've tried most every flagship and some midrange phones currently available (this includes OP 7, OP 7T, OP 7 PRO, Note 10+, Galaxy A70, Nubia RM 3, Nubia RM 3s, LG V40, Vivo Nex S, Mate 10 (non-pro), Mate 20 (non-pro), Pixel 3 XL, and others). I keep coming back to the Mate 20 X. I still have the 7T, LG V40, and Nubia 3S sitting in a drawer (I really should post them for sale). The Mate 20 X is simply one of the best phones ever created in my opinion. I do wish it was very slightly smaller but all the other phones are too small. I'm on my second 20 X after selling the first one (mistake). The battery life on this thing is just crazy good. Performance is just a tiny bit slower than the latest from OnePlus. I use an alternate launcher and have it loaded with all the Google apps (Phone, Contacts, Clock, Calendar) so I never really see EMUI except in settings. It's awesome!

With all that said, I'm still waiting for a phone that is truly comparable. The only one left I'm curious about trying is the ASUS ROG Phone 2 but I haven't convinced myself to spend the $900 for it yet.
    my next phone will be Surface Duo... for sure! :D