Question Google Assistant Confirmation Beep

Search This thread
I was able to use accessibility settings on my OG Pixel and Pixel 3 to enable a confirmation beep when Google Assistant has been activated (after I say "OK Google") but I can't seem to find a way to do that on my Pixel 7 Pro. Can anyone help?

lsirg

Aug 16, 2018
I've done it twice now, first setup, and again after a factory reset. Worked both times. Strange.

JakeDHS07

Dec 15, 2010
North Salem NY
Google Pixel 7 Pro
In Google Assistant settings through the Google app you go to accessibility and the options are there and working for me. Not sure if they've recently moved or been changed but I've never used whatever switch access is.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221210-091904.png
    Screenshot_20221210-091904.png
    87.8 KB · Views: 105
In Google Assistant settings through the Google app you go to accessibility and the options are there and working for me. Not sure if they've recently moved or been changed but I've never used whatever switch access is.
Can confirm that you have to have both of the settings enabled in the screenshot above in order to hear a beep. I don't even have voice active enabled.

Nobody's ever mentioned that setting before but I already had that enabled. I get a confirmation beep when I'm using Bluetooth or Android Auto but not when it's just my phone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221210-125612.png
    Screenshot_20221210-125612.png
    69.2 KB · Views: 43

TTTTII

Aug 28, 2016
I screwed mine up recently. The above settings were set before, and I've gotten a beep since I got it. Post-screwup, I tried accessibility settings to no avail. Things that were changed beforehand (perhaps - new P7P and I've been both tinkering around and busy - plus I sometimes plug in a DAC and use Neutron Player, which is very possessive. So I can't recall when I noticed the lack of a beep precisely within a day's usage).

So, things that might have affected it:

I allowed Google Assistant to access my screen, and I enabled flash screen when it does so.

I upgraded from the December to January patch.
I upgraded, afterwards, with the small Play Store patch.

I enabled... what's it called - verbal shortcuts like "Answer" that don't require "Hey Google" first. <- Given that Google's reason for zapping the beep was to save response time, I'm suspicious of this, but I've changed quite a bit, so further testing is required.

I'll post if I get the beep back.

***What follows isn't necessary to the topic.***

It's daft that this is even an issue that can't be solved simply with a toggle. Or better, actually asking Assistant to reply when summoned with a beep or phrase, perhaps "Yes, Sir?" In an era with ChatGPT, we ought to be able to at least choose efficient or chummy. Google knows more about me than most friends, they could at least be friendly about it.

[I'm using an unlocked P7P from Google. I'm on Verizon with an eSIM. I have Assistant set so that it's constantly listening. And I've generally got things set to try out everything no matter how intrusive. Hey - it's the first phone I've actively chosen since my Note 4; I wanted to see what we've been given for all that's been taken away. I'm disappointed at all the features that ought to be helpful to my aged father, but are too difficult to use for someone intelligent that can't learn new things well. I'm also seeing just how vastly intrusive it is while saying, carefully, that it isn't. GrapheneOS may be in my future - perhaps because I simply can (goodbye forever, dedicated Verizon phones).]

Top Liked Posts