• If you are experiencing issues logging in, we moved to a new and more secure software and older account passwords were not able to be migrated. We recommend trying to reset your password, then contacting us if there are issues.
  • Nearly there! Migration cleanup is mostly done. There are about 6k posts left to import, a few forum redirects to make, and minor details. All the heavy lifting is done. Would love to hear feedback over at this thread!

Google blocks Chromecast apps that let you stream your own videos

xuser

Jan 18, 2007
San Diego
Google blocks Chromecast app that let you stream your own videos...

"Google hasn't provided a clear answer on whether Chromecast will eventually let users stream their own local videos and music to the TV screen. But if early updates for the $35 dongle are any indication, the company doesn't want third-party developers trying to deliver that functionality. The most recent Chromecast update has broken support for AllCast, an Android application that previously allowed users to stream their personal media to a TV. AllCast (also known as AirCast thanks to a trademark dispute) could play back files stored in a phone's gallery, Dropbox, or Google Drive. Developer Koushik Dutta accomplished the feat by reverse engineering the Chromecast's code. He'd released several betas of the app, even planning a release on Google Play, before Google's latest software update broke things — "intentionally" in Dutta's opinion."

Read more...

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/25/4...chromecast-app-that-let-you-stream-own-videos

They blocked these two apps so far:

https://plus.google.com/110558071969009568835/posts/G3jF2JynLc2

https://plus.google.com/117916055521642810655/posts/23BrB267QHJ

Let Google know exactly how you feel about this issue. If you're not happy downgrade and comment on their official Chromecast app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.chromecast.app&hl=en

Last edited:

bozzykid

May 1, 2011

robbo10

Jan 12, 2011
Santa Barbara
Very disappointing! I was at a friend's home and he was showing off mirroring his iclone through Apple tv. Was hoping Chromecast would top that.

Sent from my EVO using xda app-developers app

xenokc

Mar 21, 2011
After getting Aircast and fling to work, I ordered 2 more Chromecast dongles. Just cancelled them.

Hopefully Google is just temp blocking until ready to officially supporti 3rd party apps. If not, back to Roku.

lfbuccat

Jan 13, 2011
I don't know if anyone else noticed but casting a local video file from a chrome browser tab actually plays smoother now. But aircast provided the easiest way to cast a video file from an Android phone.

chateau1

Sep 19, 2012
After getting Aircast and fling to work, I ordered 2 more Chromecast dongles. Just cancelled them.
I have no interest in buying another Chromecast until this gets sorted out either.

Last edited:

chateau1

Sep 19, 2012
So everyone is disappointed that it doesn't do something they never said it would? A lot to do about nothing if you ask me
Mostly because it was more useful when AllCast and Fling worked. Kind of back in the ballpark with Google TV now in that it doesn't do a lot (for me anyway). Nothing more, nothing less.

jamosjamos

Apr 16, 2012
Disappointed

So everyone is disappointed that it doesn't do something they never said it would? A lot to do about nothing if you ask me.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

I'd say we are disappointed because it appears Google is intent on heading off the kind of innovation and creativity that has made the Android platform so wonderful. Google should let developers do what they do best: reverse engineer, hack and create, to turn Chromecast into the most powerful and versatile device it can be. They should let people root the device, they should let people work around the limits.

The disappointment is more that this is a sign that Google is not interested in fostering a creative, innovative developer community for Android. The disappointment is more that Google seems so short sighted in thinking they need to lock everything down. I thought they knew that a large part of the appeal of the platform has always been how open it is.

Last edited:

wsimon

May 24, 2013
So everyone is disappointed that it doesn't do something they never said it would? A lot to do about nothing if you ask me.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app
It may never have been announced to be able to do it, but to most it was obvious that the device was capable of doing it and that with dev support a lot was possible. It is disappointing to see how restrictive Google is being in taking away support for a function that the chromecast can handle. That being said, there will always be a way to accomplish this, it is just a matter of how inconvenient Google is going to make it.

Reactions: Xenosis

Techno79

Jun 23, 2008
While Google is within their own rights to change parts of the software that was never intended to be used for 3rd party, it's a massive mistake for Google to do this just to kill off those 3rd party apps. There must be a good reason for it and Google should make a public announcement as to why. There's probably a good % of sales of Chromecast specifically because of the functionality AirCast gave. I was going to buy a ChromeCast only because of the functionality AirCast gave but without this, a ChromeCast is useless for me.

I won't be buying until this functionality is officially supported or Google provides an official API/support for 3rd party applications that do provide this functionality.

Such a shame as Google had some much promise behind this product but that seems to have disappeared.

brontetab

Jul 13, 2012
Hey

Just discovered an app that streams local content to any dnla player - wiTV. It offers mostly russian online contant but.. It also offers streaming local content from all of your devices including apple pc and Android. It creates a dnla local server on mobile devices and you can launch local media playback and scroll through it on the mobile device plays well on my old asus oplay r3 and samsung tv

Have fun and screw u Google! I can't believe i paid $100 to buy junk

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

bozzykid

May 1, 2011
I'd say we are disappointed because it appears Google is intent on heading off the kind of innovation and creativity that has made the Android platform so wonderful. Google should let developers do what they do best: reverse engineer, hack and create, to turn Chromecast into the most powerful and versatile device it can be. They should let people root the device, they should let people work around the limits.

The disappointment is more that this is a sign that Google is not interested in fostering a creative, innovative developer community for Android. The disappointment is more that Google seems so short sighted in thinking they need to lock everything down. I thought they knew that a large part of the appeal of the platform has always been how open it is.
The SDK isn't final. And in this case the developer hacked around one of the most essential parts (the app whitelist). No offense, but I don't want Netflix, HBO, etc to pull their content off the Chromecast so Google can let hackers design apps to stream content from my phone in a non-standard way that was never intented. How about we all wait until the SDK is final before judging Google. All they did was fix a security hole in the device.

HowardZ

Apr 6, 2012
While Google is within their own rights to change parts of the software that was never intended to be used for 3rd party, it's a massive mistake for Google to do this just to kill off those 3rd party apps. There must be a good reason for it and Google should make a public announcement as to why. There's probably a good % of sales of Chromecast specifically because of the functionality AirCast gave. I was going to buy a ChromeCast only because of the functionality AirCast gave but without this, a ChromeCast is useless for me.

I won't be buying until this functionality is officially supported or Google provides an official API/support for 3rd party applications that do provide this functionality.

Such a shame as Google had some much promise behind this product but that seems to have disappeared.
I agree.
I purchased the ChromeCast only for the purpose of wireless playing movies from my laptop to my HDTV. I currently use a HDMI cable, but thought wireless would be ideal.

I never use Netflix.
I never use Utube.
I wasted $35 plus shipping, because google refuses to allow me to use the hardware I purchased the way I want to.

It just arrived a few days ago, and I can root it.
But I don't think rooting it will help.
It's just a paperweight now.

Maybe I can return it to Google for a full refund?

robbo10

Jan 12, 2011
Santa Barbara

I hope you sent this as feedback, very well put. The corporate device manufacture, including Google has benefited from free private development. A lot of the features that come on devices today started with the devs witch in turn busted sales from their innovation and put android where it is today.

Sent from my EVO using xda app-developers app

LoSt180

Dec 21, 2011
I don't under stand what the problem was. I mean, I was just using AllCast to watch videos of my kids on the TV. I'm not willing to spend time to upload videos to YouTube just to do that (nevermind privacy concerns and the fact the world doesn't care about my kid doing backflips off the couch).

I already have an HTPC for media playback, there's only personal content on my phone.

This was probably disabled because it wasn't using the actual SDK and was more of a hack. Was neat while it lasted.