Google Camera for the OnePlus 8T

Search This thread

gianni500

Mar 4, 2015
@jarxxx The existence of config files shouldn't stop users from exploring the settings menu or from testing GCam without any config first to see the "default" quality.

Configs are made by normal users to fit their usage/preferences. Some configs work well for us, while others are terrible. If you find one that is close to what you like, tweak it to fit your needs and preferences.

Inside the settings menu, right at the top, there's something to control the exposure. In your case, you probably want to increase it a bit. Test the different values and then choose the one that's better for you.

View attachment 5234697

I would also check the "Lib Patcher" menu, where we can control things like detail, tone curve, etc. Have you tried increasing "Shadows" inside the "Tone Curve" menu?

Face smoothing is a bug that affects some phones, hopefully it can be fixed on GCam 8. The problem is that if you set up the rear camera for detail, the front will also be very detailed... depending on the settings, it can be a bit "harsh" on your skin. I guess one could use different configs? One more detailed and one more "soft" for selfies? It's an annoyance, sadly.

I should note that people focus on detail because that's one of the main reasons to use GCam. Users that want Snapchat+Filter-like pictures, probably should use Snapchat (not saying it's your case, but we should use the best tool for the job).

Video is often better on the stock camera, but under Settings > ("General" section) > Advanced > Stream config, we can select the best "Video Stream Config"... I honestly don't know which one is better for this phone, but some have stabilisation and some don't. I'm not sure if the config you're using sets up this or not.

Regarding 48MP, OnePlus doesn't allow 3rd party apps to use it. GCam can only access 12MP, which is the default resolution used by the stock camera. I recommend contacting OnePlus and asking them to stop blocking access to 48MP (they don't seem to care, but if enough people ask... maybe we can convince them to change).
In my opinion, security has nothing to do with it, maybe it's about hiding design errors.

cpl593h

Dec 10, 2011
Liège
I've been trying Nikita's NGCam_8.1.101-v1.0 (2021-02-19) without any XML for a few days and to my, the quality seems at least as good as the 7.4 build with the dedicated XML, with the bonus of zero shutter lag. No option to use the wide angle camera though. I think that with the right XML, it could make wonderful pictures with the OP8t that I use, but for some reason, there are very few XML's for both (Arnova and Nikita) 8.x builds. I fiddled a bit with the options that one can access without an XML, but I think we will finally have a good cam when someone who knows what he/her does will be able to create an OP8t will release a dedicated XML.

Reactions: sindecbraj38

Rootk1t

Jun 2, 2013
I've been trying Nikita's NGCam_8.1.101-v1.0 (2021-02-19) without any XML for a few days and to my, the quality seems at least as good as the 7.4 build with the dedicated XML, with the bonus of zero shutter lag. No option to use the wide angle camera though. I think that with the right XML, it could make wonderful pictures with the OP8t that I use, but for some reason, there are very few XML's for both (Arnova and Nikita) 8.x builds. I fiddled a bit with the options that one can access without an XML, but I think we will finally have a good cam when someone who knows what he/her does will be able to create an OP8t will release a dedicated XML.
You can try xml from Arnova8G2 Beta (8.1.101) with Nikita's NGCam.
As i understand, not so many ports of Gcam 8.1.x are available In general for all devices, not only for 8T.
BSG version (8.1.101) is constantly updated.

cpl593h

Dec 10, 2011
Liège
You can try xml from Arnova8G2 Beta (8.1.101) with Nikita's NGCam.
As i understand, not so many ports of Gcam 8.1.x are available In general for all devices, not only for 8T.
BSG version (8.1.101) is constantly updated.
I just did that, but no difference for the wide angle and the pictures don't look better (hard to say where I am now, bad light). But thanks for the tip anyway!

mrweenus

Feb 5, 2016
Google Pixel 3
OnePlus 8T
@jarxxx

Regarding 48MP, OnePlus doesn't allow 3rd party apps to use it. GCam can only access 12MP, which is the default resolution used by the stock camera. I recommend contacting OnePlus and asking them to stop blocking access to 48MP (they don't seem to care, but if enough people ask... maybe we can convince them to change).
Is there not a way using root and potentially a magisk/Xposed module to override this blocking and allow Gcam access to the 48P?

Rootk1t

Jun 2, 2013

Arnova8G2 updated the new version, it supports oneplus 8T, but I really don't know how to config this. Does anybody know the configurations, can you share it to me?​

Reactions: Lz3807775t

dsan2k

Apr 16, 2021
Does anyone know of a way to have both the gCam and the OxygenOS camera installed on LineageOS 18.1?

More info below, but I can't find a way to make them work

Any help is appreciated!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    google-camera.png

Google Camera Port
    Stable versions and configs for the OnePlus 8T.

While quality on mobile devices has improved a lot in the past few years, Google Camera is often able to produce more detailed photos with better dynamic range. Let's use this thread to compile good/stable GCam versions for the OnePlus 8T.

Features:

- HDR+ Enhanced, Night Mode, Astrophotography, Portrait Mode, Timelapse, Motion Photos, Lens Blur, Panorama, Photo Sphere, Photobooth, Motion tracking.
    - Video, Timelapse, Slow motion.
    - All auxiliary cameras work, except the depth camera.
    - AR Playground/Stickers (follow this guide).

Bugs:

- Video quality is better on the stock camera, specially video stabilisation and slow motion.
    - Switching between cameras is still a bit buggy in some versions.

Downloads:

Notes:
    - WARNING: On Android 11, you need to use the "snapcam" package in order to use all cameras.
    - To avoid issues when viewing media from inside GCam, install the Google Photos app (can be used without uploads/Google Account).

GCam 8 (Android 10+):

- Arnova8G2: GCam_6.210406.0204build-8.1.101.apk (2021-05-02, configs)

GCam 7 (Android 9+):

- ⭐Wichaya: GCam_7.3.018_Urnyx05-v2.1_Wichaya_V3.1.1 (2020-12-15, configs)
    - Nikita: NGCam_7.4.104-v2.0 (2020-12-06, configs)

I'll try to keep this post updated with info from the telegram group, but please, leave feedback.

To devs like Arnova8G2, BSG, Urnyx05, defcomg, and many other modders and testers that have contributed over the years.
    @jarxxx The existence of config files shouldn't stop users from exploring the settings menu or from testing GCam without any config first to see the "default" quality.

Configs are made by normal users to fit their usage/preferences. Some configs work well for us, while others are terrible. If you find one that is close to what you like, tweak it to fit your needs and preferences.

Inside the settings menu, right at the top, there's something to control the exposure. In your case, you probably want to increase it a bit. Test the different values and then choose the one that's better for you.

Screenshot_20210227-153928376.png

I would also check the "Lib Patcher" menu, where we can control things like detail, tone curve, etc. Have you tried increasing "Shadows" inside the "Tone Curve" menu?

Face smoothing is a bug that affects some phones, hopefully it can be fixed on GCam 8. The problem is that if you set up the rear camera for detail, the front will also be very detailed... depending on the settings, it can be a bit "harsh" on your skin. I guess one could use different configs? One more detailed and one more "soft" for selfies? It's an annoyance, sadly.

I should note that people focus on detail because that's one of the main reasons to use GCam. Users that want Snapchat+Filter-like pictures, probably should use Snapchat (not saying it's your case, but we should use the best tool for the job).

Video is often better on the stock camera, but under Settings > ("General" section) > Advanced > Stream config, we can select the best "Video Stream Config"... I honestly don't know which one is better for this phone, but some have stabilisation and some don't. I'm not sure if the config you're using sets up this or not.

I've downloaded 15 different GCam apps and XML's, uploaded photos to compare them to google drive. Please let me know which one looks best.

Also, I've started a Facebook Group for OP8T GCam discussion. Please join!
    Portrait selfie is terrible :( no skin smoothening. Anyone thought of a fix yet?
    Thank you very much.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone