Google Camera Mod for Zenfone 7/7 Pro

Search This thread

ThoroSOE

Nov 16, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000
LG G4
I also noticed the issue with getting only a 6.5 MP image when being on the main camera and switching to selfie mode. Very annoying. As a workaround I use a quick setting for the camera angle to just stay in normal mode but still turn the camera to the front. Full functionality for landscape orientation, but upside down for portrait orientation (good thing I very, very rarely take pictues in this orientation).

Any suggestions for lib patcher settings? Or even better: Do you know, where I can find documentation telling me, how strong an impact each setting has?

Last edited:

Yedrimas

Dec 7, 2018
Same issue here, I'm only getting a 6.5MP on portait mode instead of a 15.7MP
Any idea on how to fix that? The GCam has better processing but bug is annoying :-/

Edit: Indeed, on portait mode, the main sensor is not used, but the UltraWide is cropped as if it was the main one. Weird, any idea how to fix that ?

Last edited:

deadlynounou

Oct 27, 2009
You can set the main front camera ID = 7. It will use the main sensor for main selfie camera (64mpx)

deadlynounou

Oct 27, 2009
You do not need to be rooted. Just go under Wichaya's GCam mod /settings/advanced settings/aux sensors / then activate every sensor except the 5th.
Now go back one step and go to /manual set camera ids/ ...
There you should set the ids for the back :
- main = 0
- tele = 3
- wide = 2
- camera 4 (64mpx) = 6

For the front :
- main = 7 (it will use the 64mp )
- tele = 5
- wide = 4
- camera 4 = 1 ( it is the default setting used by every third party app )

I took the information from this gcam mod dev on Zentalk.

Last edited:
You do not need to be rooted. Just go under Wichaya's GCam mod /settings/advanced settings/aux sensors / then activate every sensor except the 5th.
Now go back one step and go to /manual set camera ids/ ...
- main = 0
- tele = 3
- wide = 3
- camera 4 (64mpx) = 6

For the front :
- tele = 5
- wide = 4

Do you have a link to the thread on Zentalk? I can't find it.

Thanks

deadlynounou

Oct 27, 2009
You can look into the zenfone 7 series zentalk forum there is a thread talking about heavy files in google camera mod. I do not remember the exact title.

Yedrimas

Dec 7, 2018
I know what you mean by this....

Here's the xml I'm currently using (all credits to Wichaya - not widely shared I don't think) which works nice enough.

I also find distortion/pixelation on the stock cam wide angle shots at times.

Thanks! I've tried, there is still way more (and too much) distortion compared to the stock one, this is sad because the Gcam is better in everypoint (but filming)

cd993

May 8, 2009
London
OnePlus 12
Thanks! I've tried, there is still way more (and too much) distortion compared to the stock one, this is sad because the Gcam is better in everypoint (but filming)

Agreed. It can be hit and miss sometimes. I find myself generally taking a shot with gcam and stock just to see which is better!

If anyone has any recommendations on gcam verison and/or xml settings, I'm all ears....!

jericho246

Dec 19, 2015
I'm currently on the xml you posted, downloaded it from the celsozevedo site a few days ago. I still find stock cam better in most cases. I'm not trying to **** on anyone's work, in fact I'm quite amazed that the GCam app doesn't even crash (which used to happen a lot on my previous phones) and the only problem is picture quality. It's probably gonna take some time to fine-tune the GCam mod for the Zenfone 7 series. That's fine, but I simply wish ASUS released this phone worldwide. But they didn't, for whatever reason, and our community is smaller than it should be, because of that. :( Read a lot of comments from people in the US being disappointed by the unavailability of the Zenfone 7 in their country. :(

N4KA

Oct 7, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
I'm currently on the xml you posted, downloaded it from the celsozevedo site a few days ago. I still find stock cam better in most cases. I'm not trying to **** on anyone's work, in fact I'm quite amazed that the GCam app doesn't even crash (which used to happen a lot on my previous phones) and the only problem is picture quality. It's probably gonna take some time to fine-tune the GCam mod for the Zenfone 7 series. That's fine, but I simply wish ASUS released this phone worldwide. But they didn't, for whatever reason, and our community is smaller than it should be, because of that. :( Read a lot of comments from people in the US being disappointed by the unavailability of the Zenfone 7 in their country. :(

Will it be launched at some point? India?

jericho246

Dec 19, 2015
Will it be launched at some point? India?

No idea to be honest. Last year the Zenfone 6 was released in India as the "ASUS 6z" some time after the launch in other regions. Perhaps it'll be the same this year. I don't think there's any official info on that, though.

mickey36736

Jan 10, 2013
Chiang Mai
Asus Zenfone 9
Update Version 2.9.1
Changelog
Based on GCam 7.3.018 Urnyx05 (Thanks Urnyx05)
Package name : com.GoogleCamera.Wichaya
- Added new AWB profiles (Thanks Savitar, burial)
Zenfone 6 : IMX586, OV13855
Zenfone 7 : IMX686, IMX363, OV08A10
Others : OV48C, HMX, IMX689
- Added post processing dots fix option from Urnyx05 (Thanks Urnyx05, Marco)
- Added sabre option (Off by default)
- Added support to Surface Duo (Thanks Urnyx05)
- Added use front camera at start up option (Thanks Marco)
- Added Portrait stream config option
- Added Sun bug fix option (On by default)
- Improved aux button behavior. Switching lens with restart while maintain which camera mode is use (Thanks Marco, overwhelmer for the help)
- Reworked some lib patcher menu. Now with dynamic lib patcher lens selection based on which aux button is enabled. This allow faster navigation for testing, tuning values
- Separated tone curve and gamma curve for aux camera
- Slightly adjusted aux buttons to higher position
- Set max length of manual aux name from 5 to 20
- Fixed black screen in video mode on some devices (Thanks Abhi)
- Fixed zoomed in viewfinder when using 16:9 aspect ratio (Thanks Abhi)
- Unhide noise model option

Download : https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/f/changelog1451/ (Thanks Celso for the host)

Updated OP

mickey36736

Jan 10, 2013
Chiang Mai
Asus Zenfone 9
I also noticed the issue with getting only a 6.5 MP image when being on the main camera and switching to selfie mode. Very annoying. As a workaround I use a quick setting for the camera angle to just stay in normal mode but still turn the camera to the front. Full functionality for landscape orientation, but upside down for portrait orientation (good thing I very, very rarely take pictues in this orientation).

Any suggestions for lib patcher settings? Or even better: Do you know, where I can find documentation telling me, how strong an impact each setting has?

LibPatcher is a custom library where you can set all the settings to your liking. Users need to find the best values for their hardware. Different camera sensors need different values. Each user also has different preference. Some like more detailed/noisy images while others like smooth pictures.
Remember that different Mods may have different settings.

Radius Temporal: (Changes the graininess of the image by affecting noise, the higher the image is more blurry and less noise, the lower the more noisy, but more detail.)
Tone Curve: (Adjust the Dark Points, White Point, Shadows, Highlights. Recommended to enable it and leave default values.)
Sharpness: (Allows you to control the image sharpness. Increase it for lowlight shots and decrease it for Selfies. THIS IS PERSONAL PREFERENCE, ADJUST IT TO YOUR NEEDS)
Luma denoise: (Controls the "grain" on the images that is caused by high ISO. Decrease it to have more details at the cost of high noise or increase it if the noise is unacceptable to you)
Chroma Denoise: (Controls the color stains. Usually there's no need to adjust it, as it wouldn't lead to more quality but you can increase it a bit if you see color stains in the dark. Too high chroma denoise can cause a decrease in saturation. Also chroma is known as color noise)
Luminance Noise Reduction: (Controls the “grain” in images caused by high ISO. Decrease it to get more detail at the expense of high noise, or increase it if the noise is unacceptable to you)
Color Noise Reduction: (Controls color spots. There is usually no need to adjust it as this will not improve the quality, but you can increase it slightly if you see colored spots in the dark. Too much chroma noise can cause a decrease in saturation. Also known as color noise)
Contrast: (Allows you to control the image contrast. Increase it if you want darker shadows and decrease to make it brighter. THIS IS PERSONAL PREFERENCE, ADJUST IT TO YOUR NEEDS)
Saturation: (Allows you to control the image saturation. Increase it if you want richer colours in the photos. THIS IS PERSONAL PREFERENCE, ADJUST IT TO YOUR NEEDS)
Wavelet Luma Denoise Levels (Factors of Global)
  • Level 1 Fine Details (Very slightly changes the photo, mildly smoothing small elements)
  • Level 2 Rough Surfaces (Alters image seriously, smoothing grain)
  • Level 3 Edges (Change almost nothing. Smoothing slightly edges)
  • Level 4 Smooth Surfaces (Change picture drastically, making it posterized, smoothing large areas of the same color)
Wavelet Chroma Denoise Levels (Factors of Global) (Some mod called as Spatial)
  • Level 1 Fine Details (Fine textures, but same applies to rough details)
  • Level 2 Rough Surfaces (Fine textures, but same applies to rough details)
  • Level 3 Edges (Edges are mainly defined by the contrast between one object and another)
  • Level 4 Smooth Surfaces (Smooth surfaces are basically mostly uniform areas in the image. Like a wallpaper with not much fine details.)

Thanks Tavares for explanation
For more explanation of other feature you can check FAQ here
https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/troubleshooting/

Last edited:

CVonV

Mar 7, 2010
Sydney
I know what you mean by this....

Here's the xml I'm currently using (all credits to Wichaya - not widely shared I don't think) which works nice enough.

I also find distortion/pixelation on the stock cam wide angle shots at times.

I've loaded the Wichaya XML config and the wide angle cam is still very distorted?

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

- main = 0
- tele = 3
- wide = 3
- camera 4 (64mpx) = 6

I had to set tele to 3 but wide to 2

For the front :
- tele = 5
- wide = 4

Thanks for that. I've also disabled the 64mp icon as it causes a force close when selected and you can't re-open the camera app unless you press and hold the icon and select one of the shortcuts eg try night sight.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Google Camera Port for Zenfone 7/7 Pro

Features
    - All cameras working with ZSL HDR+ and HDR+ Enhanced
    - Night Sight/Astro photography
    - Super Res Zoom (Main camera)
    - AWB
    - Top Shot
    - Portrait on front & back camera
    - Video recording upto 4K 60FPS With EIS
    - Focus tracking
    - Motion photos
    - Photosphere/Panaroma
    - Playground/Stickers (how to install)

Download & Changelog
    GCam 7.3
    - 15 December 2020: GCam_7.3.018_Urnyx05-v2.1_Wichaya_V3.1.1 by me
    Bugs
    - Face retouching
    - Slow motion on main (id 0), ultrawide, telephoto but working on 64mp mode

GCam 8.1
    - 15 August 2022: GCam_8.1.101_Wichaya_V1.6 by Wichaya
    Bugs
    - Face retouching
    - Slow motion

Credit
    @S4turno (Celso) , @Arnova8G2 [donate] , @defcomg (Savitar) [donate] @Urnyx05
    Many thanks to other modder who help me make this possible :)
    Many thanks to the testers.

Donation
    You can support my work by send me a donation :)
    https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/wichayapoka
    Hi there.
    First of all, thank you for the great work.
    I see that many updates came out in the meantime.
    Will you continue the porting? Or is there a version compatible with 7 pro that is updated in a regular basis?
    Thanks in advance.
    I'm currently working on porting gcam 8.1
    Stay tuned
    New Update

GCam 7.3.018 Version 3.0 by me
    Changelog
    Package name : com.GoogleCamera.Wichaya
    - Added gamma coefficient, noise processing, temporal denoise radius, highlight color tweak, hue shift (Thanks Tatchan, burial)
    - Added max motion resolution option based on raw resolution but may use a lot of ram when capturing
    - Added separate manual focus slider for each lens with manual option for focus range and max focus value (Thanks Alexy, Fu24, gdb417)
    - Added separate stream config for each lens similar to lib patcher
    - Added save portraits to /DCIM/Camera folder
    - Added IMX686 noise model from Zenfone 7 (Thanks UltraM8, Savitar for the help)
    - New xml configs selection menu (Thanks Arnova8G2)
    - Fixed face retouching on ZF6
    - Fixed Redmi Note 8 Pro black viewfinder and exposure (Thanks Wyroczen)
    - Disabled sabre at front camera by default for Asus devices
    - Automatically change to main lens when using photo sphere
    - Rearrange some menus

Download : https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/f/changelog1485/ (Thanks Celso for the host)

GCam 8 (Beta) by Arnova8G2
    Changelog & Download : https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=83928589&postcount=2644
    - Some features may not work for GCam 8 as of now. It's beta version

Updated OP

Update : Config file
    Wichaya_ZF7_V3 for daylight
    Wichaya_Timo_ZF7_night_V3 for night scene

GCam_8.1.101_Wichaya_V1.6​

Changelog:
    - Added partial support for Zenfone 9 & Rog Phone 6 (Slow motion and 50MP raw do not work)
    - Added new manual stream config (leave empty = disable)
    - Added new info for stream config. Show which value is currently using for each mode
    - Added Asus 2022 stream config (Untested)
    - Added new manual AWB option in AWB menu (similar to manual noise model)
    - Added video bitrate
    - Added sensor mode index (experimental)
    - Added noise model from ZF8 ultrawide and front
    - Added new dev keys
    camera.binned_resolution_back
    camera.binned_resolution_front
    camera.no_binned_resolution_back
    camera.no_binned_resolution_front (Enable camera.pixel_binning before use these keys)
    camera.lower_ae_target_fps
    camera.upper_ae_target_fps (Disable camera.viewfinder_10fps_minimum before use these keys)
    filename.disable_utc_timezone
    filename.date_format
    filename.default_prefix
    filename.image_prefix
    filename.video_prefix

Download: https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-wichaya/f/dl6/

Thanks Celso for the host
    New Update

GCam 7.3.018 Version 3.1.1
    by me

Changelog
    - Enable manual focus infinity in night mode for all devices
    - Added Shasta factor
    - Added MI 10 noise model (Thanks Savitar)
    - Added OP7T/ OP7 Pro noise model (Thanks SAP, John Galt)
    - Added hdr instant option
    - Corrected aux ids for MI 10
    - Fixed raw for OnePlus devices (Thanks John Galt)

Download (Choose com.GoogleCamera.Wichaya ) : https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/f/changelog1501/