• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Google camera mod (UPDATE)

Search This thread

NoGoodUserNamesLeft

Feb 15, 2017
GT-i9250
LG Nexus 5X
This version works well on my Mix 2S: BSG's 8.1.101 A9 GVx

During my test I have found the following functions working fine on LineageOS 18.1:
  • Switching between the three cameras (wide angle/telephoto/front)
  • Normal camera mode
  • Night side with/without astro-photography
    • During astrophotography after the count down timer has reached 0:00, the app required some additional time to finish its work.
    • Canceling astrophotography is not instant but still faster than Parrot043's version.
    • Manual focus + infinite focus for night sight can be enabled in the developer settings of the app. Hint: A force stop and restart of the app is required to apply the changes made in developer settings.
  • FHD and 4K video at 30 fps using H.264 or H.265/HEVC encoding. Selecting 60 fps produces 30 fps video files.
  • Slow motion video at 240 fps (selecting 120 fps will record video at normal speed instead of crashing like in other mods)
  • Time lapse video at 5x speed
  • Auto white balance is working well (tested in artificial light)
There has been not a single crash during my test.
I will be switching to this version for my daily usage.

Last edited:
Reactions: =w=

blackbravo

May 25, 2008
Coimbra

During my test I have found the following functions working fine on LineageOS 18.1:
  • Normal camera mode
    • During astrophotography after the count down timer has reached 0:00, the app required some additional time to finish its work.
    • Canceling astrophotography is not instant but still faster than Parrot043's version.
    • Manual focus + infinite focus for night sight can be enabled in the developer settings of the app. Hint: A force stop and restart of the app is required to apply the changes made in developer settings.
  • FHD video at 30 and 60 fps, 4K video at 30 fps using H.265/HEVC encoding
  • Slow motion video at 240 fps (selecting 120 fps will record video at normal speed instead of crashing like in other mods)
do you have 60 fps video recording?

zfrankz

Jan 24, 2011

• Normal camera mode
  • FHD and 4K video at 30 fps using H.264 or H.265/HEVC encoding. Selecting 60 fps produces 30 fps video files.
Thank you for sharing. May I ask what are the difference among those different versions (what do those short names in the links mean: snap, ruler, ENG etc?)

NoGoodUserNamesLeft

Feb 15, 2017
GT-i9250
LG Nexus 5X
Thank you for sharing. May I ask what are the difference among those different versions (what do those short names in the links mean: snap, ruler, ENG etc?)
Copied from this reddit post:
  • Android apps have "package names".
  • Some brands only allow the auxiliary cameras (aux cameras/extra cameras) to be accessed by certain package names.
Newer OnePlus phones running Android 11 need the "snap" or "snapcam" package name ("org.codeaurora.snapcam"). Samsung phones need one of the Samsung package names ("com.samsung.android.ruler" or "com.samsung.android.scan3d").

Some phones can use any package name. For example, all cameras work with all package names on my Asus Zenfone 6. On older phones with only 1 main rear and front cameras, often it doesn't matter which one you install.

Having different package names also means that you can install different GCams. Let's say I have "org.codeaurora.snapcam" installed, if I want to test a new update or have more than one version installed (maybe with different settings), I can install "com.android.mgc" and it won't affect the current GCam I have installed (although I might lose aux access on that apk on phones that have restrictions).
Another answer from another reddit post:
These 5 files differ only in signature. On some devices, additional modules need a certain signature to work, for example, for Samsung - scan3d or ruler. If you have Xiaomi, then any will suit you. For OnePlus 8 - snap, OnePlus 7 - Eng, in all other cases you can install any.

Top Liked Posts