Google Camera v8.3b Mod with HDR+ (recommended settings)[Exynos]

Search This thread

william_lie

Jan 6, 2018
I see 2 impediments. The first is that there is no actual work on optimizing GCam for Exynos processors and the second is that for some reason, people with the same Note 8 are having issues. I had issues with a previous version when some people did not. I recommend wiping the data before uninstalling it or installing a new version. We might have some hardware differences regarding the photo sensors if this does not solve the issues. My Note 8 is on DSB4 Pie update (the latest available). I am only talking about GCam on Pie starting with posts on this page, just to be sure we are on the same side cc (@william_lie).

I am on DSB4, and it is Exynos.
Not only wiping, but i tried countless versions and settings, still no good results.

I am thinking of moving back to OnePlus or Xiaomi after this Note 8 is out dated.
Note 8 is my first experience with samsung since it has the S-pen which is useful to me for my job on site (i am a constructor engineer, needs a paper and pencil all the time with me).

But seems like it will be the last time if i get the iPad pro with the pencil (i am planning to get one).

Last edited:

reservation31

Mar 10, 2017
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
the pixel rom came with version gcam 8.3b installed . I managed to update it to 6.1. Once I had got it set up I then cloned it and renamed clone version night camera. Nightsight will take a photo in the very dark but in slight darkness it does not function like it should.

Last edited:

reservation31

Mar 10, 2017
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Interesting...
Do you still has all the S-Pen functions?
the s pen can be used to select items on screen but it does not have full functionality , I do believe you can download from google store. I did not use s pen much. If you look at the web page on xda for rom I think people are asking if the s pen functionality can be brought back in future versions. It really is a nice rom if you don't want all Samsung bloatware.

william_lie

Jan 6, 2018
the s pen can be used to select items on screen but it does not have full functionality , I do believe you can download from google store. I did not use s pen much. If you look at the web page on xda for rom I think people are asking if the s pen functionality can be brought back in future versions. It really is a nice rom if you don't want all Samsung bloatware.

Yes, i always use custom roms in all of my previous devices.
And for the couple of last of them, i don't even flash gapps and ran free from google.

I switch to note 8 since i need the s-pen features, and therefore, i'm not rooting my note 8 currently although my evil side keep telling me to do it, lol.

The only thing that keeps me away from rooting this note 8 is the missing of s-pen functionality in a pure android rom.

MatthewOffical

Oct 18, 2014
Realme GT Master Edition
There is a new version of GCam from Arnova, 1.4 Advanced GCam_6.1.021_Advanced_V1.4.032219.1950.apk. Changelog is HERE.

I have saved a config in my Drive folder based on VAG xml. Lets centralize a config or more configs that would work on Note 8 with Pie update. With any of the 9 series Exynos configs Night Sight is not working. I have enabled what @reservation31 is suggesting.
Where to paste config file?

There is a new apk from Arnova available HERE. Changelog is HERE. It seems to have new stuff from the latest apk, like timelapse and stuff. It cannot load configs anymore.

I have also uploaded a new config I found HERE, named note_8_night_mode_portrait_everything.xml. Configs are still available on my Drive folder. These configs should work with Gcam_6.1.021_Advanced_V1.6.190614.0200 (just double tap the black area below the buttons in the interface).

Last edited:

aaminotti

Feb 1, 2012
Barcelona
For me works only if you disable HDR. I wish to use portrait mode but I get images almost white. Any suggestion?

Enviado desde mi SM-N950F mediante Tapatalk

h1ghland3r

Yes, try disabling HDR. Which config are you guys using? I am still using my config. GCam 6.1.x from Arnova is still more stable and has less issues than GCam 6.2, but the good part is that they can both be installed in parallel.

I was using the last config you said with Arnova 6.1, but I gave up because all pictures are white, even with disabled HDR.

https://ibb.co/nkdXZ2H

Sent from my Galaxy Note8

I was using the last config you said with Arnova 6.1, but I gave up because all pictures are white, even with disabled HDR.

https://ibb.co/nkdXZ2H

Sent from my Galaxy Note8

Then try using my config, I am still using it, not the one I mentioned. I put it there so people can have alternatives.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: h1ghland3r
I can confirm it is working. Are you using the correct version of GCam? It has to be Arnova's Gcam_6.1.021_Advanced_V1.6.190614.0200.apk and you must have an Exynos Note 8 and that you are on Pie update. Some other people have confirmed it is working for them. Make sure you copy the config on internal memory under GCam/Configs. But the most important part is making sure you have an Exynos Note 8 with the Pie update. I may have forgot to mention that these versions are meant for Pie software.

Reactions: aaminotti

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I found the settings of google camera that give the best HDR+, portraits on Nougat/Oreo Exynos devices. Compared to stock camera, GCam gives better saturation levels and detailed images. HDR+ parameters don’t hugely matter what you choose, and is all personal preference. A higher amount (very high in my case) will take a longer time to process.

New settings attached below. Clean Install is always recommended.

Mod8.3b_IDan_v3.2.9_Exynos.apk

3.2.9 Features
    -Fixed black level back camera for Samsung Galaxy A8/A8+
    -Attempt to fix OIS
    3.2.7 Features
    - Fixed black level front
    - Enabled OIS by default
    - Added saturation options in Advanced HDR+ settings
    3.2 Features
    - Dark Theme for settings.
    - Now you can select the path where to save the photos (doesn't work on sd card but probably can work with some xposed mod).
    - Removed all the snapdragon toggles. The app will know when apply that settings.
    - Removed custom denoise param and other settings
    - Now the app will restart every time you go back from settings to the viewfinder. This means that you don't need anymore to restart the app to apply settings

- Now there are three gestures in the viewfinder:
    1. double tap on the black area it will pop the exposure menu directly
    2. long-press on gallery and it will open samsung gallery instead of google photos
    3. long press on the switch camera and after the restart the viewfinder brightness will be set to maximum
    - some minor changes

Gcam Tool v2..32
    -Prevent flipping of front camera photos
    -Choose which photos you want to move
    -Select custom source and destination folders
    -Batch move multiple files
    -Option to delete the sub folder created by Google Camera

Download

Thanks to:
    miniuser123
    Arnova8G2
    IDan1109
    Lens blur is not biggy right? Waiting for the portrait mode

For me its pretty good.
    Hey guys, I took Google Camera on Note8 vs Canon 6D Mark I comparison, and the results are kinda awesome.

I did an iPhone X vs Google Camera on Note 8 test sometime ago as well: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=75040247&postcount=668 (not very in depth, mind you, just a few snaps)

So I had my Canon 6D mark I handheld with 24-105mm L f/4.0 IS kit lens in aperture priority mode, set to f/4.0 with automatic ISO and shutter speed, no exposure bias, in jpg. I first took two shots with HDR, and two without HDR. Also, Canon 6D mark I is notorious for producing a soft jpg out of the box, which is visible. Also, I might have had a case of shaky hands, but both cameras were handheld. Keep in mind that sharpness is usually much better when shooting in raw and throwing it in Lightroom. Obviously, if I shoot in raw and dedicate the time I will get better image quality out of 6D, even without bracketing, but that takes effort.

The whole idea was to see if it's really worth taking something like Canon 6D hiking (where weight matters), if I am not trying to do something specific (like long exposure, or proper 50mm bokeh portraits, or if real zoom for wildlife).
    My question is this: do entry-level DSLRs (like Canon Rebel) in automatic mode actually get significantly better image quality than leading cellphones? Opinions?

Note8 was set to HDR+ enhanced, using cstark v3.1 apk.
    Original 6D shots here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1C2LYsMXwEyGcMvDhY9-2ZXoriqwN6pPs?usp=sharing
    Original Note8 shots: https://photos.app.goo.gl/W0NlxSTZlY20F8Is2

Note8 is always on the left, 6D is always on the right. I used OSX Preview on my mac, zooming both images to about the same size. Keep in mind that Note8 image is only 12MP, whereas 6D picture is 20MP from a full-frame sensor.
    There is a new apk from Arnova available HERE. Changelog is HERE. It seems to have new stuff from the latest apk, like timelapse and stuff. It cannot load configs anymore.

I have also uploaded a new config I found HERE, named note_8_night_mode_portrait_everything.xml. Configs are still available on my Drive folder. These configs should work with Gcam_6.1.021_Advanced_V1.6.190614.0200 (just double tap the black area below the buttons in the interface).