Google Camera with HDR+

Search This thread

madphone

Apr 21, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
The Google Camera Ports with HDR+ are out for a while now. Lately they got more attention because of HDR+, Portrait Mode and even versions for Samsungs Phones with Exynos.
Now since the U Ultra shares most of the relevant components with the Google Pixel (same SoC, same Sensor but with OIS) i would have expected that most of the stuff works.
But for me it doesn't. Let's discuss configurations and experiences so far with the u ultra and the ports:

Download Collection

Modders: Arnova, BSG, Ivanich

In generell compared to the original port Camera NX from Charles_I all those other ports have more configurations but are much more buggy and slower. But in some configurations it's ok, and some amazing hdr+ pictures are possible.
Especially in low light. Compared to the good old Nexus 6p everything looks a bit more washed out but less grainy. thanks to the OIS 10 i found an app which has working portrait mode even on hour device:
Download

Settings

Model: Nexus 6
Use Config only Nexus6HdrPlusAuto - enabled
Portrait Mode on on all models- enabled

Not working:
Portriat Mode with Front Cam
Hdr+ with Front Cam

neptun2

Jul 25, 2009
Well for some weeks i am also testing different versions and here is my experience:
1. Arnova's builds give much better image than everything else i have tested.
2. Most stable build that i currently use is Arnova's GCam5.1.018-Arnova8G2-V1.2
3. I use following settings:
config camera hdr+ - pixel 2016 zsl hdr or pixel experimental features
model - pixel xl(corr)
hdr+ parameters - default
in advanced i set jpeg quality to 100%, activate hdr+ control and activate ZSL

This way it works good but still occasionally crashes. Newer arnova versions work very unstable for me (including 1.5)

neptun2

Jul 25, 2009
I also tried again to play with arnova's 1.5 and 1.6 versions but could not make it work stable enough. I needed ti use very different configuration with these builds - nexus 6 auto was the only working config for hdr+ (other give black screen). ZSL is not working also with this config. As a whole application looks more stable but at some point it just stops working. It show picture and focuses but just does not save anything. I am going back to 1.3.

newyesor

Jul 27, 2014
Bangkok
I am suggest gcam this version off MGC_5.1.018.177470874.41362666__A7.0-8.1_MI5S_v2e and it's great working.
B-S-G Mod Settings:
Model: Pixel 2XL (Taimen) for smoother images; Nexus 6P (Huawei) for more detailed photos.
Use "config Nexus6 Hdr+Auto": turn on if the app crashes when taking pictures (better compatibility). Nexus6 Hdr+Auto NoZsl or Nexus 6P or Pixel 2017 Zsl Hdr
HDR+ parameters: "Default" or higher settings. Medium for a balance between all options.
Manual fixed black level offset:set to 64 for fix pink tint
Adance setting
HDR+ control:enable
Portrait mode on all models:enable

https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/...018.177470874.41362666__A7.0-8.1_MI5S_v2e.apk

Last edited:

madphone

Apr 21, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I am suggest gcam this version off MGC_5.1.018.177470874.41362666__A7.0-8.1_MI5S_v2e and it's great working.
B-S-G Mod Settings:
Model: Pixel 2XL (Taimen) for smoother images; Nexus 6P (Huawei) for more detailed photos.
Use "config Nexus6 Hdr+Auto": turn on if the app crashes when taking pictures (better compatibility). Nexus6 Hdr+Auto NoZsl or Nexus 6P or Pixel 2017 Zsl Hdr
HDR+ parameters: "Default" or higher settings. Medium for a balance between all options.
Adance setting
Portrait mode on all models:enable

https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/...018.177470874.41362666__A7.0-8.1_MI5S_v2e.apk

thanks! Finally there seem to be some versions with working HDR+ on the front cam. now you finally can see that its a 16mp sensor. the difference is like night and day. unfortunatelly i haven't found a version with working HDR+ on the front Cam AND working portrait mode. with your settings the portrait mode stays black, on both cams.

Reactions: duttyend

newyesor

Jul 27, 2014
Bangkok
You must not set config hdr+ parameter first.
Step setting
1.choose model>Pixel2XL/Pixel2
2.HDR+ parameters: "Default" or higher settings. Medium for a balance between all options.
Adance setting
Portrait mode on all models:enable >close app
3.you must open app again for setting config camera
Use "config Nexus6 Hdr+Auto": turn on if the app crashes when taking pictures (better compatibility). Nexus6 Hdr+Auto NoZsl or Nexus 6P or Pixel 2017 Zsl Hdr>finish
:cowboy:

djfastest

Dec 1, 2010
Minsk
came the screenshots of your settings. did you clear the cache before the launch? the camera chose pixel xl?

Last edited:

madphone

Apr 21, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Which mod would you guys recommend for oreo?

I don't have Oreo yet, i will test in some weeks (months?) when it comes to europe. But I would try this one: https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/...amera-Pixel2Mod-Arnova8G2-V7beta-test-6_1.apk

Arnova is optimizing it also for the HTC 10 with Oreo so i would keep an i on its development.
Would be nice if you reported back how it is on your Oreo phone? Did the processing speed increase? Is it more stable in low light? Is the viewfinder still laggy as hell?

Reactions: sid3091

iAbhishekh

Sep 25, 2015
I don't have Oreo yet, i will test in some weeks (months?) when it comes to europe. But I would try this one: https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/...amera-Pixel2Mod-Arnova8G2-V7beta-test-6_1.apk

Arnova is optimizing it also for the HTC 10 with Oreo so i would keep an i on its development.
Would be nice if you reported back how it is on your Oreo phone? Did the processing speed increase? Is it more stable in low light? Is the viewfinder still laggy as hell?

Tried it on my U Ultra running oreo. Viewfinder still laggy, Can't comment on other features because I've never used this port.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wow, the camera:
    GCam_5.1.018_by_SerJo87_1.6RC2_test4c.apk
    by SerJo87
    from 2018-05-07

is rock-solid stable and makes perfect pictures!
    The Google Camera Ports with HDR+ are out for a while now. Lately they got more attention because of HDR+, Portrait Mode and even versions for Samsungs Phones with Exynos.
    Now since the U Ultra shares most of the relevant components with the Google Pixel (same SoC, same Sensor but with OIS) i would have expected that most of the stuff works.
    But for me it doesn't. Let's discuss configurations and experiences so far with the u ultra and the ports:

Download Collection

Modders: Arnova, BSG, Ivanich

In generell compared to the original port Camera NX from Charles_I all those other ports have more configurations but are much more buggy and slower. But in some configurations it's ok, and some amazing hdr+ pictures are possible.
    Especially in low light. Compared to the good old Nexus 6p everything looks a bit more washed out but less grainy. thanks to the OIS 10 i found an app which has working portrait mode even on hour device:
    Download

Settings

Model: Nexus 6
    Use Config only Nexus6HdrPlusAuto - enabled
    Portrait Mode on on all models- enabled

Not working:
    Portriat Mode with Front Cam
    Hdr+ with Front Cam
    Good news!
    With this apk everything seems to be working.

HDR+ on both cameras and portrait mode on both cameras. but everything is pretty laggy. i think this won't change till android 8.
    I finally found fully working new gcam version - https://f.celsoazevedo.com/file/cfiles/gcm1/MGC_6.2.030_MI9SE_V0a.apk
    Works great for me.
    Well for some weeks i am also testing different versions and here is my experience:
    1. Arnova's builds give much better image than everything else i have tested.
    2. Most stable build that i currently use is Arnova's GCam5.1.018-Arnova8G2-V1.2
    3. I use following settings:
    config camera hdr+ - pixel 2016 zsl hdr or pixel experimental features
    model - pixel xl(corr)
    hdr+ parameters - default
    in advanced i set jpeg quality to 100%, activate hdr+ control and activate ZSL

This way it works good but still occasionally crashes. Newer arnova versions work very unstable for me (including 1.5)