Google Cast & "Coolwalk"

Search This thread

Nick_Gl

Oct 14, 2009
Thank you! This made more sense after I realized I had to install the sqlite binary on my phone.

1. I downloaded sqlite3_arm64v8a.7z from the first post in this thread.
2. Extracted the file & renamed it "sqlite3"
3. Copied it to /system/bin, and gave permissions 0755 like on this page. Apparently some phones may need this installed in /system/xbin, but my phone phone only has /system/bin.
4. I entered the commands/code listed above in Terminal Emulator
5. Profit!

AAuto has consistently retained the Coolwalk settings after multiple sessions and restarting the car. FWIW, I am on AAuto v7.8.122304-release.daily. My only questions/comments are:

1. Again, I noticed that Waze does not work with the multiscreen. Why is that? GMaps and HereWeGo work with it. I do not personally care for HereWeGo. GMaps is fine but I prefer Waze. I am experimenting with other navigation apps.

2. The top small card will only display GMap shortcuts, otherwise it is expanded to show whichever Music app I have opened in addition to the GMap card. How can I get the top small card to display a clock like the OP?
I'm the op. Mine is like yours now too. The smaller card does display messages when you get them tho. I think it's just changes/tweaks to the overall new UI. It is months old now. Can't comment on Waze tho. I don't use it. Mine would stick too for a couple days do. It just changed whenever Google pushed new updates through play services and would reset values on the phenotypes db.

EDIT: Also I haven't been able to get cast to show for a few updates now too. I do use screen2suto for that thio.

Last edited:

mn1968

Nov 7, 2011
Well, this morning I lost coolwalk. No settings in AAuto head unit to activate it, and phenotype shows values reverted back to 0s. It was fun while it lasted but I think I'm done fiddling with it until it is officially released. Too much time wasted constantly editing the db.

Is there a way to remove the triggers I created with sqlite3? Will that code affect anything in the future? I'm thinking probably not since the phenotype values were reverted to 0 automatically. My Google Play Services is version 22.21.16. I think it was 22.21.14...but I'm not sure of that either. LOL

Here's to waiting for the official release like everyone else.

Nick_Gl

Oct 14, 2009
Well, this morning I lost coolwalk. No settings in AAuto head unit to activate it, and phenotype shows values reverted back to 0s. It was fun while it lasted but I think I'm done fiddling with it until it is officially released. Too much time wasted constantly editing the db.

Is there a way to remove the triggers I created with sqlite3? Will that code affect anything in the future? I'm thinking probably not since the phenotype values were reverted to 0 automatically. My Google Play Services is version 22.21.16. I think it was 22.21.14...but I'm not sure of that either. LOL

Here I'm still trying to perfect the code. Try this one
Code:
CREATE TRIGGER after_update
AFTER UPDATE ON Flags
BEGIN
UPDATE Flags SET boolVal=1 WHERE name='Coolwalk__enabled';UPDATE Flags SET boolVal=1 WHERE name='MirrorApp__enabled';UPDATE Flags SET boolVal=1 WHERE name LIKE 'Coolwalk__%' AND boolVal=0;
END;

I'm reading tutorials on sql and trying to learn as I go. My bad man

Nick_Gl

Oct 14, 2009

Also if you just wanna throw in the towel I get that too. Open the db file then
Code:
DROP TRIGGER
after_update;

Last edited:

mn1968

Nov 7, 2011
Here I'm still trying to perfect the code. Try this one
Code:
AFTER UPDATE ON Flags
BEGIN
UPDATE Flags SET boolVal=1 WHERE name='Coolwalk__enabled';UPDATE Flags SET boolVal=1 WHERE name='MirrorApp__enabled';UPDATE Flags SET boolVal=1 WHERE name LIKE 'Coolwalk__%' AND boolVal=0;
END;

I'm reading tutorials on sql and trying to learn as I go. My bad man

Also if you just wanna throw in the towel I get that too. Open the db file then
Code:
DROP TRIGGER
after_update;
I appreciate your help but I need to put this endeavor off for a while. I have a more pressing issue to correct. I attempted to install a jail in my NAS and it totally borked my Plex NAS server from running. Not sure why since the two aren't related in any way...but whatever. Now I need to figure that out before I resort to trashing my Plex install completely and re-installing from scratch...which I really don't want to do. While I don't mind tinkering to get things running I have become less interested in continually having to tweak things. That goes for my phone, AAtuto, Plex, etc...

Cheers!

May 16, 2015
Thanks for this Nick, I've been able to get Coolwalk enabled, here are some additional steps that may help:

1. After setting up the trigger, use a SQLite editor to change Coolwalk__enabled to 1, this will make the trigger execute for all other values.

2. Clear storage/cache for Android Auto in your settings. Coolwak option did not appear until I cleared Android Auto storage

Additionally, you can write a bash script that you can execute from termux, here's the code:

Bash:
su

sqlite3 /data/data/com.google.android.gms/databases/phentoype.db <<EOF
CREATE TRIGGER after_update AFTER UPDATE
ON Flags
BEGIN
UPDATE Flags SET boolVal = 1 where name = "Coolwalk__enabled";
UPDATE Flags SET boolVal = 1 where name = "MirrorApp__enabled";
UPDATE Flags SET boolVal = 1 where name like "coolwalk%" and boolVal=0;
END
;
EOF

Write this code to a .sh file (e.g. coolwalk.sh) and in termux:

Bash:
cd /path/to/coolwalk.sh
#make the script an executable
# replace coolwalk.sh with the name you chose
chmod +x coolwalk.sh
# execute the script
./coolwalk.sh

Now follow steps 1 & 2 and enjoy!

Nick_Gl

Oct 14, 2009
Thanks for this Nick, I've been able to get Coolwalk enabled, here are some additional steps that may help:

1. After setting up the trigger, use a SQLite editor to change Coolwalk__enabled to 1, this will make the trigger execute for all other values.

2. Clear storage/cache for Android Auto in your settings. Coolwak option did not appear until I cleared Android Auto storage

Additionally, you can write a bash script that you can execute from termux, here's the code:

Bash:
su

sqlite3 /data/data/com.google.android.gms/databases/phentoype.db <<EOF
ON Flags
BEGIN
UPDATE Flags SET boolVal = 1 where name like "coolwalk%" and boolVal=0;
END
;
EOF

Write this code to a .sh file (e.g. coolwalk.sh) and in termux:

Bash:
cd /path/to/coolwalk.sh
#make the script an executable
# replace coolwalk.sh with the name you chose
chmod +x coolwalk.sh
# execute the script
./coolwalk.sh

Now follow steps 1 & 2 and enjoy!
Thanks I appreciate it. I'm just learning as I go with online tutorials and such. In no way is this my day job haha

I know this is an older post, but I have the .sh and can execute that using Root Explorer. But the trigger doesn't work to automatically put the values back at 1. It only works for me if I change one of the coolwalk__enabled values from 0 to 1 then they all do.

I have 2 email addresses associated with my phone but for whatever reason, I have 3 of each value shown in the database.

P6P, rooted and running AA Beta 7.9.623163-release.

I have a copy of the .sh in the .gms folder because I can't change the permissions if its elsewhere. Root Explorer will execute it even if the execute permission is missing.

I tried to set up a Tasker task to execute the .sh every hour but that doesn't work either...

Nick_Gl

Oct 14, 2009
I know this is an older post, but I have the .sh and can execute that using Root Explorer. But the trigger doesn't work to automatically put the values back at 1. It only works for me if I change one of the coolwalk__enabled values from 0 to 1 then they all do.

I have 2 email addresses associated with my phone but for whatever reason, I have 3 of each value shown in the database.

P6P, rooted and running AA Beta 7.9.623163-release.

I have a copy of the .sh in the .gms folder because I can't change the permissions if its elsewhere. Root Explorer will execute it even if the execute permission is missing.

I tried to set up a Tasker task to execute the .sh every hour but that doesn't work either...
I haven't been able to figure out how to get it to update automatically either with my limited coding experience. Whenever it switches back I have to manually edit one entry and it then turns all of them back to one. Kinda sucks but it's better than having to individually do them all.

Reactions: General_Mayhem
I haven't been able to figure out how to get it to update automatically either with my limited coding experience. Whenever it switches back I have to manually edit one entry and it then turns all of them back to one. Kinda sucks but it's better than having to individually do them all.
Ah. I kinda wondered if that was the case. And I agree, it's still quicker.

Let's hope they actually release this soon :)

HofaTheRipper

Apr 26, 2014
St. Veit an der Glan
In Android Auto 8.0 beta coolwalk UI got improved and you can choose vertical mode too:
Screenshot 2022-08-16 025119.png
Screenshot 2022-08-16 025237.png
Screenshot 2022-08-16 025051.png

Reactions: burn1976 and BO4573

nickywijaya

Aug 24, 2022
C3C19B21-DDE0-42D2-BF72-A895B669C3F3.jpeg
527D6902-0813-4191-9D2D-0921AA439B73.jpeg

Yeah looks good on 8, however once we select the destination on google maps, it seems the top left/right box is dynamic. If no messages it will vanish so you'll have a 2 box only

Reactions: moralesnery

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    May i know on which version?
    Version 8.0.6233, I downloaded the APK from apkmirror.com
    After seeing the articles about the new files being in the latest beta version I took a dive in and looked to see how to enable it. Here's some basic steps for that.
    1. You will need to be rooted and on the latest beta. "7.3.120244-release.daily"​
    2. Download a database editor, I used SQLite Editor.​
    3. Open SQLite and under "apps" section navigate to Google Play Services and open it.​
    4. Scroll down to phenotype.db and select it.​
    5. Look for "flags" and open it.​
    6. On the top select "set filter" input Coolwalk__enabled.​
    7. change all bootVal from 0 to 1.​
    8. Now search for cakewalk and do the same.​
    9. Lastly search for MirrorApp__enabled and change those.​

Now just restart your phone and connect to Android auto. You will need to enable coolwalk on the head unit settings. To switch from full screen and condensed press and hold the new UI home button. I need another phone to show off cast, but it does work. You just can't do Netflix/Hulu what not. You also need to be in park. I haven't found what to change to eliminate that. Anyone else wants to help give it a shot.

UPDATE: if you have sqlite3 installed with magisk you can also create a trigger like so in termux.

Code:
    Su

Sqlite3

.open /data/data/com.google.android.gms/databases/phenotype.db

AFTER UPDATE ON Flags
    BEGIN
    END;
    In Android Auto 8.0 beta coolwalk UI got improved and you can choose vertical mode too:
    Screenshot 2022-08-16 025119.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-16 025237.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-16 025051.png
    Create trigger in phenotype.db

1. Install Termux https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.termux&hl=ru
    2. Install Sqlite3 for root, launch it and click Install. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kanolato.sqlite&hl=ru
    3. Go to Termux.

4. su

5. Open DB
    sqlite3 /data/data/com.google.android.gms/databases/phenotype.db

Code:
    ON Flags
    BEGIN
    UPDATE Flags SET boolVal = 1 where name like "cakewalk%" and boolVal=0;
    END
    Works great! I tried it on both the 7.3.120244 and the 7.3.120444 beta version and both worked. I did have to revert all the tweaks from AA AIO Tweaker and uninstall the app first to get it to work.
    May i know on which version?
    Version 8.0.6233, I downloaded the APK from apkmirror.com