Google Cast & "Coolwalk"

Search This thread

bobigazda

Feb 2, 2012
Skopje
Google Pixel 6
I enabled all the flags but can't get the option...anything I'm missing? I'm on Android 12 and latest AA 7.3 beta
View attachment 5526313
I have the exact same screen on my car Head Unit, I really hate the side Spotify and it cannot be removed. Did you do the steps above on the car Head Unit itself, or on your phone? Sorry if it's a noob question, I am new to Android Auto :) .

nickywijaya

Aug 24, 2022
What method used to enable this??
Hi, just using sql method. I simply update all the "coolwalk" into value 1.

Basically update X set boolVal=1 where name LIKE '%coolwalk%'

Not sure the field name is correct tho, but you got the point. Anyway if you guys having trouble with coolwalk, i suggest to tweak the resolution on AA developer setting. Mine is not showing when it's up to 1080. I guess now coolwalk respect the dpi. So yeah i lowered my resolution into 720 and the toggle is there (coolwalk enabled).

Or simply choose "allow phone to negotiate" options (cmiiw) on developer setting to let AA choose what's best to fit coolwalk precondition

Last edited:

manudhomra

Mar 1, 2014
Redmi K20 Pro

Not sure the field name is correct tho, but you got the point. Anyway if you guys having trouble with coolwalk, i suggest to tweak the resolution on AA developer setting. Mine is not showing when it's up to 1080. I guess now coolwalk respect the dpi. So yeah i lowered my resolution into 720 and the toggle is there (coolwalk enabled).

Or simply choose "allow phone to negotiate" options (cmiiw) on developer setting to let AA choose what's best to fit coolwalk precondition
Okay, I have updated the values as suggested above. Do I need to clear Android Auto Data after changing values or not???

manudhomra

Mar 1, 2014
Redmi K20 Pro

i have successfully enabled the coolwalk using above method on my HUD but i have 2 queries:
1) since i am on custom A13 ROM do i need to change these values after each ROM update.
2) Spotify is not working although, amazon music works fine. can you suggest any possible solution to get the spotify work. on non-coolwalk mode spotify was working fine.

Thanks in advance

ShadowJP88

May 5, 2015
I've got te Coolwalk mode active today, I'm on a Pixel 5 with Android 13 september Beta.
How can we get acces to the application list?

I have a Mazda 3 2018 with AIO, the integration with the Mazda control wheel isn't quite good for now.

rosiu26

Aug 17, 2016
Hi,
what version apk aa to make coolwalk i have already 7.8.622514-release
Can i must have beta from apk mirror ?
Can someone update the installation system.
Can you break your phone by doing this?

fusk

Nov 9, 2010
Århus
After seeing the articles about the new files being in the latest beta version I took a dive in and looked to see how to enable it. Here's some basic steps for that.
1. You will need to be rooted and on the latest beta. "7.3.120244-release.daily"​
2. Download a database editor, I used SQLite Editor.​
3. Open SQLite and under "apps" section navigate to Google Play Services and open it.​
4. Scroll down to phenotype.db and select it.​
5. Look for "flags" and open it.​
6. On the top select "set filter" input Coolwalk__enabled.​
7. change all bootVal from 0 to 1.​
8. Now search for cakewalk and do the same.​
9. Lastly search for MirrorApp__enabled and change those.​

Now just restart your phone and connect to Android auto. You will need to enable coolwalk on the head unit settings. To switch from full screen and condensed press and hold the new UI home button. I need another phone to show off cast, but it does work. You just can't do Netflix/Hulu what not. You also need to be in park. I haven't found what to change to eliminate that. Anyone else wants to help give it a shot.

3. Where is the "apps" section. In sqlite I only have file explorer, there's no sections to choose from.

fusk

Nov 9, 2010
Århus
Idk you might be using a different app. Here's the file location tho
/data/data/com.google.android.gms/databases/phenotype.db
Yeah, I just figured out I got fooled by sqlite database editor and not sqlite editor. Was in the wrong app.

Edit: So evetually i got there. Edited all bootval for "coolwalk__enabled" and "cakewalk" to 1. Rebooted. It did not work.
Running AA 8.2 & A11.

Triple checked everything, uninstalled the apps i were using,purchased sqlite editor, rebooted and now it is working.

Last edited:

rosiu26

Aug 17, 2016
Hi, i used coolwalk and is perfect, but i have problem because i don't have a few option in phenotype.db and i can't run coolwalk any more. I uninstall aa and install again but doesn't work. How can i launch coolwalk ?

Poco F3 8/256 PixelOS 12.1 root by Magisk

fusk

Nov 9, 2010
Århus
It works. But it also resets often, over the past few days I've had to re-apply the coolwalk flags because the reset to 0.

panpiotus

Jan 27, 2015
There is a way for a macrodroid script to automatically change the entries in phenotype.db on startup phone?

nickywijaya

Aug 24, 2022
Hi 8.3 is here and coolwalk is getting better. here are some screenshot on 7 inch screen from mazda 2 skyactiv 2014 model (MZD commander control working greats too!)

WhatsApp Image 2022-10-12 at 9.22.10 AM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-10-12 at 9.22.11 AM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-10-12 at 9.22.12 AM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-10-12 at 9.22.11 AM (1).jpeg

As you can see, if the destination is set, top-left card is disappear and the music card will expand unless you received any notifications. Music card also now have 2 pages, one is main screen and the other is suggestion (apple music and spotify are working the same).

Moreover, menu bar is now can be move to side (which is better IMO compared to bottom bar. This looks more a lot like the legendary CarPlay).

Here's how you enable this :

1. Rooted
2. Install termux (or any other terminal for you android)
3. Install sqlite
4. Go to sqlite via terminal and go to phenotype.db (sqlite3 /data/data/com.google.android.gms/databases/phenotype.db)
5. Run this code

REPLACE into FlagOverrides (packageName, user, name, flagType, boolVal, committed) values('com.google.android.projection.gearhead', '<input_your_phone_user_here>', 'Coolwalk__enabled', 0, 1, 1);
REPLACE into FlagOverrides (packageName, user, name, flagType, boolVal, committed) values('com.google.android.projection.gearhead', '<input_your_phone_user_here>', 'Coolwalk__fishfood_nag_enabled', 0, 1, 1);
REPLACE into FlagOverrides (packageName, user, name, flagType, boolVal, committed) values('com.google.android.projection.gearhead', '<input_your_phone_user_here>', 'Coolwalk__media_rec_card_enabled', 0, 1, 1);
REPLACE into FlagOverrides (packageName, user, name, flagType, boolVal, committed) values('com.google.android.projection.gearhead', '<input_your_phone_user_here>', 'Coolwalk__opt_in_default', 0, 1, 1);
REPLACE into FlagOverrides (packageName, user, name, flagType, boolVal, committed) values('com.google.android.projection.gearhead', '<input_your_phone_user_here>', 'Coolwalk__rail_dock_enabled', 0, 1, 1);
REPLACE into FlagOverrides (packageName, user, name, flagType, boolVal, committed) values('com.google.android.projection.gearhead', '<input_your_phone_user_here>', 'Coolwalk__rail_dock_four_app_enabled', 0, 1, 1);
REPLACE into FlagOverrides (packageName, user, name, flagType, boolVal, committed) values('com.google.android.projection.gearhead', '<input_your_phone_user_here>', 'Coolwalk__rail_widget_enabled', 0, 1, 1);
REPLACE into FlagOverrides (packageName, user, name, flagType, boolVal, committed) values('com.google.android.projection.gearhead', '<input_your_phone_user_here>', 'Coolwalk__allow_focus_input', 0, 1, 1);
REPLACE into FlagOverrides (packageName, user, name, flagType, boolVal, committed) values('com.google.android.projection.gearhead', '<input_your_phone_user_here>', 'Coolwalk__canonical_vertical_rail_default', 0, 1, 1);
REPLACE into FlagOverrides (packageName, user, name, flagType, boolVal, committed) values('com.google.android.projection.gearhead', '<input_your_phone_user_here>', 'Coolwalk__canonical_vertical_rail_enabled', 0, 1, 1);
REPLACE into FlagOverrides (packageName, user, name, flagType, boolVal, committed) values('com.google.android.projection.gearhead', '<input_your_phone_user_here>', 'Coolwalk__day_night_theme_enabled', 0, 1, 1);

REPLACE into FlagOverrides (packageName, user, name, flagType, boolVal, committed) values('com.google.android.gms.car', '<input_your_phone_user_here>', 'CakewalkGearhead__frx_receiver_enabled', 0, 1, 1);
REPLACE into FlagOverrides (packageName, user, name, flagType, boolVal, committed) values('com.google.android.gms.car', '<input_your_phone_user_here>', 'CakewalkFeature__usb_reset_timeout_ms', 0, 1, 1);
REPLACE into FlagOverrides (packageName, user, name, flagType, boolVal, committed) values('com.google.android.gms.car', '<input_your_phone_user_here>', 'CakewalkFeature__usb_reset_enabled', 0, 1, 1);
REPLACE into FlagOverrides (packageName, user, name, flagType, boolVal, committed) values('com.google.android.gms.car', '<input_your_phone_user_here>', 'CakewalkFeature__phase_1_75_skip_gmm', 0, 1, 1);
REPLACE into FlagOverrides (packageName, user, name, flagType, boolVal, committed) values('com.google.android.gms.car', '<input_your_phone_user_here>', 'CakewalkFeature__phase_1_75_skip_agsa', 0, 1, 1);
REPLACE into FlagOverrides (packageName, user, name, flagType, boolVal, committed) values('com.google.android.gms.car', '<input_your_phone_user_here>', 'CakewalkFeature__phase_1_75_block_on_unlock_patch_enabled', 0, 1, 1);
REPLACE into FlagOverrides (packageName, user, name, flagType, boolVal, committed) values('com.google.android.gms.car', '<input_your_phone_user_here>', 'CakewalkFeature__dont_show_again_enabled', 0, 1, 1);
REPLACE into FlagOverrides (packageName, user, name, flagType, boolVal, committed) values('com.google.android.gms.car', '<input_your_phone_user_here>', 'CakewalkFeature__clear_dont_show_again_enabled', 0, 1, 1);
REPLACE into FlagOverrides (packageName, user, name, flagType, boolVal, committed) values('com.google.android.gms.car', '<input_your_phone_user_here>', 'CakewalkFeature__use_new_reject_dialog_text', 0, 1, 1);
REPLACE into FlagOverrides (packageName, user, name, flagType, boolVal, committed) values('com.google.android.gms.car', '<input_your_phone_user_here>', 'CakewalkFeature__phase_1_75_driving_restriction_removal_enabled', 0, 1, 1);
REPLACE into FlagOverrides (packageName, user, name, flagType, boolVal, committed) values('com.google.android.gms.car', '<input_your_phone_user_here>', 'MirrorApp__Enabled', 0, 1, 1);

*I'm using REPLACE as it has INSERT OR UPDATE behavior
**Please note that you need to change <input_your_phone_user_here> on the SQL syntax
***You need to be superuser to do this (equal to "sudo" on linux env)

It's all fun and games until that "Google" revert it back to 0's. I will try to create a TRIGGER for this on the next post so coolwalk will not reverted.

Cheers! Let us pray they toggled-on this feature on production soon!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good news guys, i think Google starting enabling coolwalk slowly. Today morning I checked the flags and coolwalk enabled flag was updated to 1 by default and a new tab is also shown under Android auto settings. Screenshot attached. I check with my vehicle but new card system is still not enabled hope to see full implementation soon now

Update: coolwalk enabled properly. Now changes made to flags not reverting after connecting and disconnecting Android auto. Will update tomorrow again if changes made reverting to stock.🤞

Update-2
    Finally Google deliver what was expected. I flashed my rom update and changes made to flags remain as it was. So now we have Coolwalk delivered by Google.
    After seeing the articles about the new files being in the latest beta version I took a dive in and looked to see how to enable it. Here's some basic steps for that.
    1. You will need to be rooted and on the latest beta. "7.3.120244-release.daily"​
    2. Download a database editor, I used SQLite Editor.​
    3. Open SQLite and under "apps" section navigate to Google Play Services and open it.​
    4. Scroll down to phenotype.db and select it.​
    5. Look for "flags" and open it.​
    6. On the top select "set filter" input Coolwalk__enabled.​
    7. change all bootVal from 0 to 1.​
    8. Now search for cakewalk and do the same.​
    9. Lastly search for MirrorApp__enabled and change those.​

Now just restart your phone and connect to Android auto. You will need to enable coolwalk on the head unit settings. To switch from full screen and condensed press and hold the new UI home button. I need another phone to show off cast, but it does work. You just can't do Netflix/Hulu what not. You also need to be in park. I haven't found what to change to eliminate that. Anyone else wants to help give it a shot.

UPDATE: if you have sqlite3 installed with magisk you can also create a trigger like so in termux.

Code:
    Su

Sqlite3

.open /data/data/com.google.android.gms/databases/phenotype.db

CREATE TRIGGER after_update
    AFTER UPDATE ON Flags
    BEGIN
    UPDATE Flags SET boolVal=1 WHERE name='Coolwalk__enabled';UPDATE Flags SET boolVal=1 WHERE name='MirrorApp__enabled';UPDATE Flags SET boolVal=1 WHERE name LIKE 'Coolwalk__%' AND boolVal=0;
    END;
    May i know on which version?
    Version 8.0.6233, I downloaded the APK from apkmirror.com
    In Android Auto 8.0 beta coolwalk UI got improved and you can choose vertical mode too:
    Screenshot 2022-08-16 025119.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-16 025237.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-16 025051.png
    Good news guys, i think Google starting enabling coolwalk slowly. Today morning I checked the flags and coolwalk enabled flag was updated to 1 by default and a new tab is also shown under Android auto settings. Screenshot attached. I check with my vehicle but new card system is still not enabled hope to see full implementation soon now

Update: coolwalk enabled properly. Now changes made to flags not reverting after connecting and disconnecting Android auto. Will update tomorrow again if changes made reverting to stock.🤞

Update-2
    Finally Google deliver what was expected. I flashed my rom update and changes made to flags remain as it was. So now we have Coolwalk delivered by Google.
    Create trigger in phenotype.db

1. Install Termux https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.termux&hl=ru
    2. Install Sqlite3 for root, launch it and click Install. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kanolato.sqlite&hl=ru
    3. Go to Termux.

4. su

5. Open DB
    sqlite3 /data/data/com.google.android.gms/databases/phenotype.db

Code:
    CREATE TRIGGER after_update AFTER UPDATE
    ON Flags
    BEGIN
    UPDATE Flags SET boolVal = 1 where name = "Coolwalk__enabled";
    UPDATE Flags SET boolVal = 1 where name = "MirrorApp__enabled";
    UPDATE Flags SET boolVal = 1 where name like "cakewalk%" and boolVal=0;
    END