Google fi

Search This thread

anon3536

Mar 26, 2013
Not sure if this has been posted yet but I just spoke to a customer care representative and they told me that the sim cards that were previously released won't work in the 6p and 5x, they said the new cards on the site are designed to work with both, not sure how well informed they are and iv seen videos of the sim working without switching in other phones already, just thought this was interesting and wanted to share

frigidazzi

Apr 21, 2011
Nexus Player
OnePlus 5
Wait. So I accept the sim invite invite on sept 29 after I orderered the 6p from Google store. But at that time it still days only nexus 6, do I just said I already had the nexus 6. Are you saying this sim won't work now I the new 6p?

jt3

Aug 13, 2007
If you have a Nexus 6, its sim won't work in the new 6P (or 5X). If you ordered your 6P from Fi, you'll get a new sim card with it. If you ordered it through the GS, you'll need to order a new sim from Fi. If you order a sim from Fi right now, it will likely show delivery in the last week of October. This means it's the new sim, which will work. However, if it lists a much earlier delivery date for some reason, you'll probably have to contact them, because that's likely the wrong sim. Clear as mud, right?

Incidentally, the address to order a new sim from Fi is: http://fi.google.com/order-sim

Last edited:

Badouken

Jan 7, 2013
Nashville
This is good information to know thanks! I'll be sure to order a new SIM now because I got the 6P from the google store!

Edit*
Can confirm to go to http://fi.google.com/order-sim and order a new SIM if you are currently on Fi.

This is the reply I got when I inquired about ordering a new SIM card for the 6P:

"All the SIM kits that we sell this day forward are going to be the new nano-SIM cards and they are backwards compatible, so they will also work with the Nexus 6. This is a pre-order with the SIM so it may take a few weeks before it is shipped out. You should get it about the same time as the Nexus 6p as this is a pre-order item as well. I hope this helped answer your question fully and let me know if you have any issues when placing the order for the SIM."

I ordered and the delivery date is October 28th - November 2nd. Just like my 6P so she wasn't lying!

Last edited:
Reactions: cam30era and adrman

adrman

Jul 17, 2012
NYC
This is the reply I got when I inquired about ordering a new SIM card for the 6P:

You reply makes more sense than the one I got.
Thank you for contacting Project Fi Support! It was great speaking with you today about wanting to know if you would be able to use your old SIM card with the new Nexus 6P, and the answer is you would need to order a new SIM Kit for the new Nexus 5X & 6Pfrom our website: fi.google.com/order-sim the website is currently being updated for ordering SIM Kits for the new Nexus devices, please check back periodically for the option to select your device SIM Kit.

Basically, the agent I had told me the website was waiting for an update so you would be able to select the device you were ordering the sim for.

anon3536

Mar 26, 2013
Yeah, (this is kinda pointless here) but if you only need one for the original 6 you can contact support and they can manually ship u a original

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you have a Nexus 6, its sim won't work in the new 6P (or 5X). If you ordered your 6P from Fi, you'll get a new sim card with it. If you ordered it through the GS, you'll need to order a new sim from Fi. If you order a sim from Fi right now, it will likely show delivery in the last week of October. This means it's the new sim, which will work. However, if it lists a much earlier delivery date for some reason, you'll probably have to contact them, because that's likely the wrong sim. Clear as mud, right?

Incidentally, the address to order a new sim from Fi is: http://fi.google.com/order-sim
    Not sure if this has been posted yet but I just spoke to a customer care representative and they told me that the sim cards that were previously released won't work in the 6p and 5x, they said the new cards on the site are designed to work with both, not sure how well informed they are and iv seen videos of the sim working without switching in other phones already, just thought this was interesting and wanted to share
    Yes this has been announced in the Fi Google+ community and Fi subreddit. It's good you put the info here too though because not everyone visits those.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    This is good information to know thanks! I'll be sure to order a new SIM now because I got the 6P from the google store!

Edit*
    Can confirm to go to http://fi.google.com/order-sim and order a new SIM if you are currently on Fi.

"All the SIM kits that we sell this day forward are going to be the new nano-SIM cards and they are backwards compatible, so they will also work with the Nexus 6. This is a pre-order with the SIM so it may take a few weeks before it is shipped out. You should get it about the same time as the Nexus 6p as this is a pre-order item as well. I hope this helped answer your question fully and let me know if you have any issues when placing the order for the SIM."

I ordered and the delivery date is October 28th - November 2nd. Just like my 6P so she wasn't lying!