How To Guide Google GCam port for the Samsung Galaxy A32 5G

Search This thread

GalaxyA325G

May 11, 2021
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
So that others will benefit there is a Wichaya GCam camera port that also works on my Samsung Galaxy A32 5G (Model SM-A326U).

Much to my surprise I was able to install BOTH the Wichaya and Penguin ports on the Samsung Galaxy A32 5G at the same time.

Unlike the Penguin port, this Wichaya GCam port has completely different controls which are more like the original Google Camera app I think.

On the bottom of the screen is a slider for Portrait, Photo, Video, & Transcribe. Just above that there is a balance plus/minus slider in the bottom middle

At the top left is a settings gear with Night mode, Flash, Face Enhance, Timer, and Storage settings.

At top center is a storage icon telling you how much space and how many pictures you can take (i.e., ":You can take 10590 photos"). And the flash icon (on/off/auto) is at the top right.

Here is what I did to install it.
  1. Download GCam for Samsung Galaxy A32 (4G & 5G)
  2. That gives you two choices + a config file
  3. The second link above wouldn't install (and the config file is apparently for that version, so the only download that worked was the first one in that list above.
The GCam_5.200604.2138build-7.3.021.apk said "App not installed" when I tried to install it. But the Camera_Go_1.8.3_Wichaya.apk said "App installed" and it worked alongside the Penguin GCam port.

In case you need a second source, I found another Wichaya build which I document below for others to benefit from the effort (where one link failed but the other worked).

As always, it goes without saying I uninstalled all GCam apps before running any tests.

1. Go to this web page titled Download Google Camera 7.3 for Samsung Galaxy A32 & A32 5G
  2. Click on the link labeled "GCam for Samsung Galaxy A32 (4G & 5G): Camera_Go_1.8.3_Wichaya.apk"
    • Name: Camera_Go_1.8.3_Wichaya.apk
    • Size: 15629747 bytes (14 MiB)
    • SHA256: 32377240F5F66F6FE927B458E21B40FA44F60CEA7C0634B2586AECFFE2F22B41
  3. This app installed on my A32 5G and appears to be the same as the prior Wichaya build installed previously.
    • App installed
Yet this link at the same page failed to install...
  1. Go to this web page titled Download Google Camera 7.3 for Samsung Galaxy A32 & A32 5G
  2. Click on the link labeled "Google Camera for Samsung Galaxy A32: GCam_5.200604.2138build-7.3.021.apk [without Night Mode]"
    • Name: GCam_5.200604.2138build-7.3.021.apk
    • Size: 81144528 bytes (77 MiB)
    • SHA256: 178A60B4C412E1F7B1EE5648B43223D1A55D610C5075BCB50D44A62957383634
  3. That app did not install on my A32 5G
    • App not installed

Last edited:
Reactions: waylo

GalaxyA325G

May 11, 2021
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
To be abundantly clear there are many supposed Google GCam ports for the Samsung Galaxy A32 5G which do NOT work.

Here are just two of many failed attempts, which (if you can get to work then you should let us know what you did differently because I failed today with both).

In all cases I uninstalled the previous GCam port (which goes without saying) before running any of the tests.
  1. Download Google Camera and 7.4 For Samsung Phones
  2. Search for the words "Galaxy A32 / 5G" & click that link which takes you to "Google Camera for Galaxy A32 / 5G – GCam Download"
  3. Look for the green button saying "BSG GCAM 8.1" and click on that link.
  4. That takes you to a page listed as "BSG GCam 8.1" which has a "Download" button at the bottom which you can click on.
  5. The result will be a MGC_8.1.101_A9_PV0g.apkfile of the following hash value.
    • Name: MGC_8.1.101_A9_PV0g.apk
      Size: 104817990 bytes (99 MiB)
      SHA256: 38792281D6D67F8BE8D376A60EABC7CBAC4273654982C8D650D6F139723AC723
This file "installed" on my Samsung Galaxy A32 5G but nothing worked. It was just black when I ran the app.

Another failed attempt I can document is this one.
  1. Download Google Camera for Samsung Galaxy A32, A52, A72 | GCam APK
  2. Download Google Camera 7.3.018 APK [Recommended]
  3. First you get this countdown "Wait 30 seconds on "droid file host"
  4. Invariably the download fails with this pink error message "Invalid File Type (GCam_7.3.018_Urnyx05-v2.1_Wichaya_V2.5 (1).apk)!"
Many more than just these two failed but I document these two mainly to underscore the point that if a web site "says" it contains the right download for your phone, it may either not work when you try to install it or it may be the right version but it may not download.

YMMV

Last edited:

GalaxyA325G

May 11, 2021
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
In addition I recommend the following cameras overall, since each has a certain nugget of value that differentiates it from others.
  1. Penguin GCam port
  2. Wichaya GCam port
  3. The default Samsung Camera app (com.sec.android.app.camera)
  4. Open Camera (has great time delay options)
  5. Simple Camera (has the best flash control)
Each has their own advantages and disadvantages which can't be summarized accurately in just a sentence like I am trying to do below - but here's my suggestion of what handful of camera apps I'd recommend for others with the Galaxy A32 5G that I own.
  1. Penguin moved the main controls AWAY from the bottom of the screen but doesn't do all the options of GCam.
  2. Wichaya kept the main controls at the bottom but also has more of the original GCam options.
  3. The default Samsung Camera has many of the options of the original GCam app.
  4. Mark Harman's Open Camera has the best control of automatic timed snapshots.
  5. Simple Camera is the only camera app I've ever seen which does the flash settings the way they should be done (infinite loop taps).

Ankurnmhs

Feb 10, 2018
First of all, I like to thank you very much for this post. I have on the Samsung a32 5G for about 1 week now, it has been trying numerous Gcam APK files in efforts to get a functioning Google camera onto my Samsung a32 G.

I also own a pixel so I know exactly how great the Google camera is. The main issue that I'm having is I'm unable to find any be gcam that are functioning well and also include Google's night sight/astrophotography mode. I dont need Astrophotoghy, but LOVE night sight. Its is truely amazing. Would you have any idea as which one, if any, would enable the HDR+/Night Sight included into the GCAM. From my research, it seems i would need GCAM later than 6.1 for the night sight to be present. Thank you very much for your help in these matters.

waylo

May 9, 2010
I so so very appreciate you writing this up! I too tried numerous Gcam apks only to have crashes + black screens galore.

GalaxyA325G

May 11, 2021
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
I'm unable to find any be gcam that are functioning well and also include Google's night sight/astrophotography mode.

It's good you have a Pixel as I do not so I don't know exactly what the "normal" GCam GUI looks like.

What I can tell you is that I have on my homescreen two ports (PenguinGCam & WichayaGCam).

Checking App Info, the PenguinGCAM is version 5.1 & the WichayaGCam is version 1.8.332394960.

Looking at each for "night sight", I don't see it in the Penguin GUI but if I look in the Wichaya GUI, I see "Night mode" when I press the topleft settings gear icon.

There is no mention of "Astrophotography" but to test the night mode for you, I just switched the "Night mode" switch from its off default to on, and a message came up saying "Night mode doesn't work with the flash" (which is to be expected).

The settings icon for "Night mode" went from a "halfmoon-with-a-crosshatch" to a "halfmoon" icon and the large round "Photo" button on the bottom of the Wichaya GCam GUI also now shows a blue half moon (instead of just a gray round button).

Just before I press the button to take a picture it says at the top "Night mode is on. Hold your camera still until the photo is finished."

And now, when I press that Wichaya GCam GUI blue moon button it tells me "Hold your camera still" and then "Almost done..." and then it snaps the picture.

Based on that one test alone I'd say the most likely answer to your question is that the Wichaya GCam port has (at least some of) what you ask for but I would ask others to confirm my observation so we always benefit from each of us helping the rest.

Last edited:

waylo

May 9, 2010
To answer/summarize some of these questions, night sight is the "night mode" which was quite revolutionary when it was first implemented by Gcam when it came out 2.5 years ago:

Since then, similar modes have been implemented by Samsung and Apple and they are now commonly found among the major phone manufacturers.

The astronomy mode is more advanced and not on either of these Gcam versions. This mode allowed for exactly what the name implies, taking great photos of night skies.

Regarding the Gcam mods, some history:

Gcam v5 mods brought us portrait mode, when that was still a new thing. When Samsung was using Exynos vs. Qualcomm CPUs, most of the modded Gcams would work on Qualcomm but very few would work on the Exynos. The ones that did were usually v5 as they were more compatible.

Gcam v6 was when night mode was introduced.

Gcam v7 was when Astronomy mode first appeared. These required Android 9 or above.

The version numbering of the Wichaya gcam discussed in this thread doesn't follow the listing above as it is based on Google Cam Go, a lightweight version of the original Gcams, just like Android Go is for lesser powered Android phones internationally.
https://www.androidsage.com/2020/10/09/download-gcam-go-apk-with-night-mode/ describes the version found here by @GalaxyA325G
The Gcam Go's originally did not have nightsight, but it was introduced in v1.8 in fall of 2020.

As you probably know, most of the major ports can be found in this depository:
But most of these won't work on the A32. Most all of those are developed for Qualcomm phones.

Last edited:
Reactions: GalaxyA325G

waylo

May 9, 2010
One more thing regarding installation, as I gathered a lot of experience looking at different GCams for my S9.

The package name of these apps is what determines if they can be installed simultaneously.

Many of these ports keep the same package name as each other.

The basic one is com.google.android.GoogleCamera. Penguincam uses this.
Another I've seen commonly is org.codeaurora.snapcam.
The Wichaya cam's package id is com.google.android.apps.cameralite

So when trying to install another cam app, if it has the same package name, installation will not work.

Sometimes the android installer will detect the other port, and ask if you want to "upgrade" it. It won't be able to though, unless it's the same author and a higher version. That install will fail.

Other times, oddly enough, it won't detect that another app already exists with the same package name and will try to install it. This ends with an "app not installed" error.

You can sort of get around this and install multiple GCam ports of the same package name by using an app cloner utility, which renames the package. This can sometimes introduce other errors though.

Last edited:
Reactions: GalaxyA325G

GalaxyA325G

May 11, 2021
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
The package name of these apps is what determines if they can be installed simultaneously.

Thanks for pointing out that a different package name is what allows two GCam ports to coexist.

I use a "package manager" to find the package name where the best package manager for that purpose that I've ever seen is this one:
  • App Manager - Android package manager
    • A full-featured open source package manager for android.
    • App Manager began by merging the features of App_packages Info (formerly Application Info), ClassyShark3xodus, Activity Launcher and Watt into a single app with material design and dark mode to give a modern look and feel.
    • The list of features is large so I'll let you look it up on F-Droid or GitHub for more details.
If anyone can find a better free open source Android package manager, let me know but I doubt there is anything better out there.

This is good information where my package manager reported results for my four camera apps concur with yours.
  • PenguinGCam com.google.android.GoogleCamera Version v5.1 (20210330)
  • WichayaGCam (Camera Go) com.google.android.apps.cameralite Version 1.8.332394960_release (7311)
  • SamsungCam (Camera) com.sec.android.app.camera Version 11.0.11.43 (1101143100)
  • OpenCam (Open Camera) net.sourceforge.opencamera Version 1.48.3 (80)
  • SimpleCam (Camera) com.simplemobiletools.camera Version 5.3.1 (77)
The version numbering of the Wichaya gcam discussed in this thread doesn't follow the listing above as it is based on Google Cam Go

Thanks for clarifying why the Wichaya GCam APK port is version 1.x while the Penguin GCam APK port is version 5.x and yet the Wichaya GCam APK port has (at least portions of the Google GCam) "modern" features like "night mode" (somewhat aka "night sight").

Last edited:

GalaxyA325G

May 11, 2021
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
most of the major ports can be found in this depository... But most of these won't work on the A32
The critical question to answer for the A32 5G is what is the "most modern" (or "closest possible port") of the latest GCam functionality?

I do NOT know the answer to that question (I only know that I got two ports to work, Wichaya & Penguin).

However, together, if we try out the various GCam ports, perhaps we can arrive at that answer of which work with the Samsung Galaxy A32 5G.

Ankurnmhs

Feb 10, 2018
I agree completely, what is the most modern gcam you can that we can use for 832 5G is the most important question. Thank you waylo for the full explanation of night sight and also astrophotography. I currently own a pixel 3A XL. The camera hardware for the pixel 3A XL I believe is actually not that amazing compareed to that of the Samsung a32 5G. It does hav OIS which i am sure helps with nightshot. The feature that actually sets the Google camera apart, is the app that gcam for pixel. With his HDR plus processing, it's taking multiple images and combining together to make one amazing image, and for night sight, it is something which I have never seen before. I think the pics out of the samsaung a32 5g prior to dusk are very good, and especially so when considering this an entry level phone. I personally am ok with the other shortcomings too, the 720 display, one speaker. If we can only get the night sight feature working on here, that would be just amazing. Thank you very much for keeping this an informative post. Hopefully one of us will come across a working night sight gcam for the a32 5g.

Reactions: degodomo1986

edukardo

Jun 16, 2013
Buenos Aires
Samsung Galaxy A32 4G
I think many issues are related to lack of camera2api support
Screenshot_20210627-191704_Camera2 Probe.jpg

poog

May 23, 2010
The critical question to answer for the A32 5G is what is the "most modern" (or "closest possible port") of the latest GCam functionality?

I do NOT know the answer to that question (I only know that I got two ports to work, Wichaya & Penguin).

However, together, if we try out the various GCam ports, perhaps we can arrive at that answer of which work with the Samsung Galaxy A32 5G.
GCAM doesn't work on the A32 for 2 different reasons

1) GCAM ports basically don't work with Mediatek processores. A32 uses A Mediatek processors (as opposed to snapdragon)

2) The magic in GCAM is "HDR+" being enabled. HDR+ is where their stacking and noise reduction and DR processing comes together...........and also needs Camera2API enabled. With the A32, Camera2API is not enabled. Without HDR+ there is basically no difference vs the stock app.

As far as I know, Wichaya & Penguin only outputs 3.7MP images at max. At least the variant I have tested and I am not sure if the images are any better than stock, and if so...why.

yomuppet

Jan 4, 2012
GCAM doesn't work on the A32 for 2 different reasons

1) GCAM ports basically don't work with Mediatek processores. A32 uses A Mediatek processors (as opposed to snapdragon)

2) The magic in GCAM is "HDR+" being enabled. HDR+ is where their stacking and noise reduction and DR processing comes together...........and also needs Camera2API enabled. With the A32, Camera2API is not enabled. Without HDR+ there is basically no difference vs the stock app.

As far as I know, Wichaya & Penguin only outputs 3.7MP images at max. At least the variant I have tested and I am not sure if the images are any better than stock, and if so...why.

I'm sure everything you said is true. Take a photo with stock, and take the same photo with one of the ports listed here... you'll see the difference immediately (I did)

poog

May 23, 2010
I'm sure everything you said is true. Take a photo with stock, and take the same photo with one of the ports listed here... you'll see the difference immediately (I did)
The output of those 2 ports seem to be only 3.7MP at max....at least the variant I tested....not 12MP

GalaxyA325G

May 11, 2021
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
I think many issues are related to lack of camera2api support
With the A32, Camera2API is not enabled.
I don't know if it's possible to "enable" camera2api support, but I just noticed while researching GPS Location Spoofing that maybe Magisk can enable camera2api support?
magisk.jpg
The description of Magisk says "there are modules to enable camera2api", which, if that's even possible on the Samsung Galaxy A32 5G, that would be wonderful.

However, the caveat may be this sentence in the description for Magisk, which may mean it's not for the faint of heart.

In addition...
The output of those 2 ports seem to be only 3.7MP

I concur. I just posted my results in this post moments ago.penguin_gcam.jpg

Last edited:

S4turno

Feb 10, 2012
London, UK
OnePlus One
OnePlus 2
Can you guys test this GCam Go?
This was extracted from a Jio device and actually has HDR working (neither Wichaya's GCam Go nor Penguin's GCam does), which is what makes GCam good.

Quality won't be as good as regular GCam though, but if it works, it might be better than the stock camera app.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So that others will benefit there is a Wichaya GCam camera port that also works on my Samsung Galaxy A32 5G (Model SM-A326U).

Much to my surprise I was able to install BOTH the Wichaya and Penguin ports on the Samsung Galaxy A32 5G at the same time.

Unlike the Penguin port, this Wichaya GCam port has completely different controls which are more like the original Google Camera app I think.

On the bottom of the screen is a slider for Portrait, Photo, Video, & Transcribe. Just above that there is a balance plus/minus slider in the bottom middle

At the top left is a settings gear with Night mode, Flash, Face Enhance, Timer, and Storage settings.

At top center is a storage icon telling you how much space and how many pictures you can take (i.e., ":You can take 10590 photos"). And the flash icon (on/off/auto) is at the top right.

Here is what I did to install it.
    1. Download GCam for Samsung Galaxy A32 (4G & 5G)
    2. That gives you two choices + a config file
    3. The second link above wouldn't install (and the config file is apparently for that version, so the only download that worked was the first one in that list above.
    The GCam_5.200604.2138build-7.3.021.apk said "App not installed" when I tried to install it. But the Camera_Go_1.8.3_Wichaya.apk said "App installed" and it worked alongside the Penguin GCam port.

In case you need a second source, I found another Wichaya build which I document below for others to benefit from the effort (where one link failed but the other worked).

As always, it goes without saying I uninstalled all GCam apps before running any tests.

2. Click on the link labeled "GCam for Samsung Galaxy A32 (4G & 5G): Camera_Go_1.8.3_Wichaya.apk"
      • Name: Camera_Go_1.8.3_Wichaya.apk
      • Size: 15629747 bytes (14 MiB)
      • SHA256: 32377240F5F66F6FE927B458E21B40FA44F60CEA7C0634B2586AECFFE2F22B41
    3. This app installed on my A32 5G and appears to be the same as the prior Wichaya build installed previously.
      • App installed
    Yet this link at the same page failed to install...
    2. Click on the link labeled "Google Camera for Samsung Galaxy A32: GCam_5.200604.2138build-7.3.021.apk [without Night Mode]"
      • Name: GCam_5.200604.2138build-7.3.021.apk
      • Size: 81144528 bytes (77 MiB)
      • SHA256: 178A60B4C412E1F7B1EE5648B43223D1A55D610C5075BCB50D44A62957383634
    3. That app did not install on my A32 5G
      • App not installed
    To answer/summarize some of these questions, night sight is the "night mode" which was quite revolutionary when it was first implemented by Gcam when it came out 2.5 years ago:

Since then, similar modes have been implemented by Samsung and Apple and they are now commonly found among the major phone manufacturers.

The astronomy mode is more advanced and not on either of these Gcam versions. This mode allowed for exactly what the name implies, taking great photos of night skies.

Regarding the Gcam mods, some history:

Gcam v5 mods brought us portrait mode, when that was still a new thing. When Samsung was using Exynos vs. Qualcomm CPUs, most of the modded Gcams would work on Qualcomm but very few would work on the Exynos. The ones that did were usually v5 as they were more compatible.

Gcam v6 was when night mode was introduced.

Gcam v7 was when Astronomy mode first appeared. These required Android 9 or above.

The version numbering of the Wichaya gcam discussed in this thread doesn't follow the listing above as it is based on Google Cam Go, a lightweight version of the original Gcams, just like Android Go is for lesser powered Android phones internationally.
    https://www.androidsage.com/2020/10/09/download-gcam-go-apk-with-night-mode/ describes the version found here by @GalaxyA325G
    The Gcam Go's originally did not have nightsight, but it was introduced in v1.8 in fall of 2020.

As you probably know, most of the major ports can be found in this depository:
    But most of these won't work on the A32. Most all of those are developed for Qualcomm phones.
    One more thing regarding installation, as I gathered a lot of experience looking at different GCams for my S9.

The basic one is com.google.android.GoogleCamera. Penguincam uses this.
    Another I've seen commonly is org.codeaurora.snapcam.
    The Wichaya cam's package id is com.google.android.apps.cameralite

So when trying to install another cam app, if it has the same package name, installation will not work.

Sometimes the android installer will detect the other port, and ask if you want to "upgrade" it. It won't be able to though, unless it's the same author and a higher version. That install will fail.

Other times, oddly enough, it won't detect that another app already exists with the same package name and will try to install it. This ends with an "app not installed" error.

You can sort of get around this and install multiple GCam ports of the same package name by using an app cloner utility, which renames the package. This can sometimes introduce other errors though.

Thanks for pointing out that a different package name is what allows two GCam ports to coexist.

I use a "package manager" to find the package name where the best package manager for that purpose that I've ever seen is this one:
    • App Manager - Android package manager
      • A full-featured open source package manager for android.
      • App Manager began by merging the features of App_packages Info (formerly Application Info), ClassyShark3xodus, Activity Launcher and Watt into a single app with material design and dark mode to give a modern look and feel.
      • The list of features is large so I'll let you look it up on F-Droid or GitHub for more details.
    If anyone can find a better free open source Android package manager, let me know but I doubt there is anything better out there.

This is good information where my package manager reported results for my four camera apps concur with yours.
    • PenguinGCam com.google.android.GoogleCamera Version v5.1 (20210330)
    • WichayaGCam (Camera Go) com.google.android.apps.cameralite Version 1.8.332394960_release (7311)
    • SamsungCam (Camera) com.sec.android.app.camera Version 11.0.11.43 (1101143100)
    • OpenCam (Open Camera) net.sourceforge.opencamera Version 1.48.3 (80)
    • SimpleCam (Camera) com.simplemobiletools.camera Version 5.3.1 (77)
    The version numbering of the Wichaya gcam discussed in this thread doesn't follow the listing above as it is based on Google Cam Go

Thanks for clarifying why the Wichaya GCam APK port is version 1.x while the Penguin GCam APK port is version 5.x and yet the Wichaya GCam APK port has (at least portions of the Google GCam) "modern" features like "night mode" (somewhat aka "night sight").
    I agree completely, what is the most modern gcam you can that we can use for 832 5G is the most important question. Thank you waylo for the full explanation of night sight and also astrophotography. I currently own a pixel 3A XL. The camera hardware for the pixel 3A XL I believe is actually not that amazing compareed to that of the Samsung a32 5G. It does hav OIS which i am sure helps with nightshot. The feature that actually sets the Google camera apart, is the app that gcam for pixel. With his HDR plus processing, it's taking multiple images and combining together to make one amazing image, and for night sight, it is something which I have never seen before. I think the pics out of the samsaung a32 5g prior to dusk are very good, and especially so when considering this an entry level phone. I personally am ok with the other shortcomings too, the 720 display, one speaker. If we can only get the night sight feature working on here, that would be just amazing. Thank you very much for keeping this an informative post. Hopefully one of us will come across a working night sight gcam for the a32 5g.