Google Home - Announce Incoming Notifications

Search This thread

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
**Updated 5/27/2017**

After installing this profile Google Home will announce your selected incoming notifications by app name and subject line.

Video Demo

Part 1.
1. Download and install Tasker, AutoNotifications BETA, and AutoCast BETA (you will need the Full Paid versions). Also download Notifications.prf.xml
2. Once you have received the AutoNotifications BETA update via the Play Store open the app, grant all permissions, press "Enable Notification Intercept" and grant notification access. Leave all other default settings and exit AutoNotifications.
3. Once you have received the AutoCast BETA update from the play store open the app, grant all permissions, select "Manage Cast Devices," then press + to add your Google Home then exit the app.

Part 2.
1. Place the Notifications.prf.xml file in your device’s Tasker/profiles folder (if these folders do not exist then create them).
2. Open Tasker and long-press “Profiles,” then select “Import” and import the xml file from Part 1.
3. Back-out of Tasker to save the profile. Done!

You can customize your list of apps to announce by pressing the "Notifications" profile in Tasker to expand the profile, then press "AutoNotification Intercept Event...", then the pencil to configure. Press "Apps" to select your apps. Google Home will now announce incoming notifications including the name of the app and subject line (you can disable by placing your phone on silent). Enjoy!

Tip: include the Google App in your selected apps to hear your Google reminders on GH.

**Important**
- GH must be connected to the same wifi network as your phone in order to announce the notification.
- Turn off battery optimization for Tasker, AutoNotifications, AutoCast or your device may disable these apps when idle.

Other Google Home Projects:
- Ask Google Home - Who Called?
- How-To Hear Missed Call and Unread Text Message Reminder on Google Home
- How-To Make Google Home Announce Incoming Calls and Auto-Read New Text Messages
- Google Home - Quick Todoist Update and Recurring Reminder
- Google Home Spotify Alarm
- How-To Reply to Text Message with Google Home
- How-To Have Google Home Read Your Last Text Message
- How-To Send Text Messages via Google Home (Text Any Contact or Ph#)
- How-To Initiate Phone Calls via Google Home
- How-To Create Calendar Events using Google Home
- Start Navigation with Google Home

Last edited:
Reactions: virtualdj

Ken L

Nov 12, 2017
Instead of Silent to prevent any notification announcements, can I change it to Do Not Disturb instead? Would changing %SILENT ~ off to %DO NOT DISTURB ~ off work?

Ken L

Nov 12, 2017
I haven't tried that but it sounds like it should work.

Yes, it does work, but it's not that straight forward. I've attempted many trial and errors and finally discovered one that worked for us (since we have the same phone).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MbVIj9tRxYOpepIy1

I also removed the reading of the message from the notification and unread text reminder, keeping just a notification of a text received from sender. I didn't feel too comfortable having my text auto-read out loud.

italione

Dec 3, 2017
Multiple Google Home's

Thanks for this, it works a treat when casting to one google home.

However i tried to get it to cast to my speaker group which just causes the app to crash. Do you know of any work arounds or is it just not capable of doing this yet ?

roselanguste

Mar 26, 2014
Thanks for this, it works a treat when casting to one google home.

However i tried to get it to cast to my speaker group which just causes the app to crash. Do you know of any work arounds or is it just not capable of doing this yet ?

I know Your Question is a time ago, but I wanted to let You know, that it is Possible to cast to more than one Google-Home! - You must only go in the Tasker-Profile, tab on the profile to expand it, tab on the right side in the expanded profile (tasks of the profile), and setup the last task a second time the same but now choose a further Google-Home-Device, done! So the Google-Home's speaking out the information one after another, how it set in the Tasker-Profile! It's really Great!

---------- Post added at 01:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 AM ----------

I have seen Your awesome Profiles, and in the moment I'm addicted to it! I wanted to let You know, because I have seen that in the past Someone have asked about to cast to more than one Google-Home, and You answered that yet is not possible! - Probably You know this anyway, but in case not, I have found a Workaround in the way that I have set up the last task in the profile (Autocast) a second time, and choosed a second Google-Home, and now the Google-Home's speaking out the informations one after another, in the sequence it is setup in the Tasker-Profile! So it is possible to setup many Google-Home's as Wish with this Wonderful Profiles!
Thanks for Your Awesome Work and Time!:good:

Top Liked Posts