• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Google Keyboard and Censoring Bad Language

Search This thread

shftn2gear97

Dec 19, 2010
St. Louis
Google Voice Typing and Censorship of my potty mouth.. So I have all of the settings configured to not block offensive language on both the Google keyboard settings and the Google voice typing settings within language and input on my Pixel 4. Is there a setting I'm missing because every time I say a curse word I still get the crazy asterisks

wolfu11

Jan 26, 2013
Minneapolis
Google Voice Typing and Censorship of my potty mouth.. So I have all of the settings configured to not block offensive language on both the Google keyboard settings and the Google voice typing settings within language and input on my Pixel 4. Is there a setting I'm missing because every time I say a curse word I still get the crazy asterisks

Did you disable it in the text correction sections of the Gboard app? I had to re enable it and disable it to get it to work.

Last edited:

1dopewrx05

Omg this is happening to me now too. For years I've had no problem and now it's censoring my curse words. I disabled options that block curse words in both texting and voice text through Gboard but it still replaces curse words with ***
Since changing the options do not give a different result my assumption is this is somehow server side with Google

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
Oddly enough as you get older you tend to like cursing less and less, at least as a crutch instead of actually having a vocabulary. Still sometimes nothing quite works as well as a proper curse; an interesting tidbit is that the one that starts with F is the word most taken from the English language and used by others in their language with OK as a distant number 2. All that being said I'd try adding them to the dictionary, this got it working for me although it's kind of a work around. Not that I curse. Ok, maybe a little here and there...

wolfu11

Jan 26, 2013
Minneapolis
Omg this is happening to me now too. For years I've had no problem and now it's censoring my curse words. I disabled options that block curse words in both texting and voice text through Gboard but it still replaces curse words with ***
Since changing the options do not give a different result my assumption is this is somehow server side with Google

I'm still not being blocked it's gotta be a phone setting... Did you disable it through the Google app as well?

Last edited:

dimm0k

Jan 25, 2014
Google Pixel 4 XL
odd, never thought this block offensive words was mainly for voice typing, but now that I tried it, it's f****** censoring my s*** too! this f****** sucks!! definitely has to be a bug unless Google's gotten soft like people these days

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
odd, never thought this block offensive words was mainly for voice typing, but now that I tried it, it's f****** censoring my s*** too! this f****** sucks!! definitely has to be a bug unless Google's gotten soft like people these days
Clear your app data and try again. I would post a screenshot or video recording of all the curses I was just able to do perfectly fine but I don't want to get in trouble on the forums. [emoji23]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

1dopewrx05

Clear your app data and try again. I would post a screenshot or video recording of all the curses I was just able to do perfectly fine but I don't want to get in trouble on the forums. [emoji23]
Cleared app data completely and set it up from scratch and it's still censoring. It's really annoying and inconvenient but also I'm glad this is the only problem I've had with my pixel. Some people have had much bigger and worse issues. I hope whatever it is does get sorted soon.

zetsumeikuro

Jul 13, 2010
You have to disable it in the Google App under voice and then under Gboard as well. Under Gboard it's under text correction, unselect Block offensive words and it works now.

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
Cleared app data completely and set it up from scratch and it's still censoring. It's really annoying and inconvenient but also I'm glad this is the only problem I've had with my pixel. Some people have had much bigger and worse issues. I hope whatever it is does get sorted soon.
And you definitely have this option off? Screenshot_20200414-143429.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

1dopewrx05

And you definitely have this option off?
Yup :( have both ticked to the off position. Also, I was saying earlier how I've had this phone for months and it worked without problems for the majority of my ownership of the phone and I haven't changed any Gboard options since setting the phone up but it just all of a sudden one day decided it was going to start censoring everything. Annoying AF

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200419-004549.jpg
    Screenshot_20200419-004549.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 79

HipKat

Recognized Contributor
Yup :( have both ticked to the off position. Also, I was saying earlier how I've had this phone for months and it worked without problems for the majority of my ownership of the phone and I haven't changed any Gboard options since setting the phone up but it just all of a sudden one day decided it was going to start censoring everything. Annoying AF

Mine started doing this today... smh

The fix is to disable Faster Voice Typing

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixe..._medium=Search&utm_name=Bing&utm_content=PSR1

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2007

I am not going to read all of the threads in here, but the culprit seems to be Faster Voice Typing. Turn it off and things should be ****ing wonderful for you again. Seems to have started around April 20, 2020. Again, make sure you have "Block Pottymouth Words" disabled, and I think there are like three places you'll need to check.