General Google lists screen protector brands ‘certified’ to work with the Pixel 6’s fingerprint sensor - updated

Search This thread

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
https://9to5google.com/2022/01/17/pixel-6-screen-protector-fingerprint/

I can't believe Whitestone isn't on there.

Updated:
With the Pixel 6 now just over a week old for most owners, the under-display fingerprint sensor has emerged as one of the bigger points of contention. Some are having issues with screen protectors, and Google now offers a list of brands that make accessories certified for the Pixel 6 and 6 Pro.

Update 1/17/22: The Google Support article has been updated again with some much needed brand/naming clarifications. Zagg is referred to as InvisibleShield — though the Pixel 6 version remains out of stock and the 6 Pro’s is currently unlisted, but ImpactShield is now Tech21. Meanwhile, Case-Mate has been added. The updated list is as follows:

• Case-Mate:
    • Pixel 6 Protection Pack ($45)
    • Pixel 6 Pro Protection Pack ($45)
  • Zagg: (Curiously not listed on the Made for Google page)
    • Glass Elite for Google Pixel 6 ($39.99)
    • Glass Curve Elite for Google Pixel 6 Pro ($49.99)
  • OtterBox:
    • Pixel 6 Clearly Protected Film Screen Protector ($19.95)
    • Pixel 6 Pro Clearly Protected Film Screen Protector ($19.95)
  • Panzerglass:
    • PanzerGlass Google Pixel 6 (€29,95)
    • PanzerGlass Google Pixel 6 Pro – TPU Film (€26,95)
  • Tech21:
    • Tech21 Impact Shield for Google Pixel 6 ($29.99) [Amazon]
    • Impact Shield for Google Pixel 6 Pro ($29.95) [Amazon]

Update 11/15/21: Google has added “ImpactShield” to the list. We believe that this is in reference to RhinoShield’s Impact Flex Screen Protector rather than Tech21, which does not sell any Pixel 6 screen protectors yet.

Original 11/6/21: As of last Thursday, the Google Support page on how to “Unlock your Pixel phone with your fingerprint” only had the following to say about what screen protectors are “compatible” with the Pixel 6:

Check the Made for Google manufacturers websites for compatible screen protectors.
Google just linked to the main list of brands that have “accessories designed and tested to work seamlessly with your Pixel phone,” thus requiring manual browsing.

Fortunately, that section was updated in the past week with specifics:

Brands that are Made for Google certified for Pixel 6 Pro and Pixel 6 are Zagg, Otterbox, and Panzerglass.
That said, models from all three brands are mostly sold out, while the Google Store does not currently sell any – Zagg’s is listed as “out of stock.”

Of course, many other brands, including well-known ones, offer screen protectors that have yet to be listed by Google. For its part, the company’s official guidance is:

If your fingerprint won’t scan, it might be because of your screen protector. Make sure you’re using a screen protector that is Made for Google certified.
Our advice is that it takes some time to adjust to under-display fingerprint sensors compared to past Pixel’s rear-mounted sensor. Mainly, you have to keep your finger on the reader rather than being able to quickly tap and lift.

It’s an optical under-display fingerprint sensor that’s a bit slower than the likes of what OnePlus uses, but I don’t have much of an issue with it after nearly two weeks of using it between the Pro and standard models. It’s a bit slower and slightly picky about your placement, but it gets the job done. Once muscle memory kicks in, I don’t think you’ll have any problems.

Last edited:

jcmm11

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 10, 2012
Google Pixel 4a 5G
The only "glass" one is from Zagg and it looks like standard edge adhesive dot matrix. Interesting to see that it's apparently compatible with fingerprint reader though.

It's sold out already, any of you friendly people get one?
If you go to the question section:
Q: Is the adhesive only on the sides?
Answers (1)
ZAGGTeam
A: It is not. The Glass Curve Elite is full-adhesive.

Q: Will this screen protector actually work with the fingerprint sensor? I have another brand as this is out of stock and I have NOT gotten that one to work properly at all!
Answers (1)
ZAGGTeam
A: Yes. The Glass Curve Elite is engineered to be compatible with the most advanced biometric scanners that are designed to make today’s smartphones more secure.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
ZAGG seems to have been sold out of the Glass Curve Elite for the P6P since the 1st day of preorders. I believe it was announced on Oct. 19 (same day as 1st preorder) that they were going to have these protectors for the Pixel 6 series. Makes me think that they may still be developing it and have not actually released/sold any yet.

EDIT: Ah, the article says the InvisibleShield will be available for the P6P "in the coming weeks", when the article was written. So apparently they aren't sold out, they just haven't released it yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
I really dislike my screen protectors to have black borders around the edge and the selfie camera, otherwise, I would strongly consider the Zagg (when it actually becomes available).

Around the selfie camera particularly interferes with my preferred method to use apps like aodNotify.

I know it's there for good reasons (also in their question section), but I just don't like it. :)

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
I really dislike my screen protectors to have black borders around the edge and the selfie camera, otherwise, I would strongly consider the Zagg (when it actually becomes available).

Around the selfie camera particularly interferes with my preferred method to use apps like aodNotify.

I know it's there for good reasons (also in their question section), but I just don't like it. :)
Yeah, I don't mind the black borders around the edges, but around the camera drives me crazy. With aodNotify I'm sure, but also with apps like Google Maps. Even just on my homepage that black border around the camera drives me nuts. I tried one like that last week and I had to take it off an hour or two later, lol.

• Haha

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I don't mind the black borders around the edges, but around the camera drives me crazy. With aodNotify I'm sure, but also with apps like Google Maps. Even just on my homepage that black border around the camera drives me nuts. I tried one like that last week and I had to take it off an hour or two later, lol.
:) I used one like that on my Note 10+. After I applied it using their guide hardware, the border around the selfie camera made it obvious that it was slightly askew although it didn't cover anything it shouldn't and did cover everything it should. I could still make out the energy ring or whatever app I used for it, but because of the protector's notch being slightly off, the energy ring looked stupid - peeking out more from one side than the rest. I had spent so much effort putting that on (https://www.zagg.com/en_us/glass-fusion-galaxy-note10-plus) that there was no way I was taking it off unless I found an obviously better option, and I didn't.

Sold the phone with it still on, too. My wife never put hers on so I just included it new in the box with the other Note 10+ I sold.

Reactions: Lughnasadh

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
An interesting piece of trivia - create a conspiracy theory if you like but the Zagg page for their Pixel 6 Pro screen protector is gone:

404 Not Found - used to be just listed as "out of stock".

Also not found in a general look at Zagg's 6 Pro "section". Only a case is listed.

I don't usually like to speculate at all, but maybe they either decided not to make one for the P6P or they're going to re-work a better one than it would've been but it's going to take a while.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Got another email from Zagg. Clicked on the link in the below email for "similar items we thought you'd love" and I still got a 404 error. The only P6P item they do list is a clear case which is out of stock.

1638050864098.png

1638050941306.png

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
  • Wow

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Found this yesterday. All the reviews are from another phone so that wasn't any help, but it is a UV/LOCA-based protector with a tray. Delivery date between Dec. 17-Jan.10 when I ordered it. Will let everyone know how it is when I get it.

I will definitely be interested to hear your reviews.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Found this yesterday. All the reviews are from another phone so that wasn't any help, but it is a UV/LOCA-based protector with a tray. Delivery date between Dec. 17-Jan.10 when I ordered it. Will let everyone know how it is when I get it.

I will definitely be interested to hear your reviews.
Reviewed it in the link below 👍

• Love

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    https://9to5google.com/2022/01/17/pixel-6-screen-protector-fingerprint/

I can't believe Whitestone isn't on there.

Updated:
    With the Pixel 6 now just over a week old for most owners, the under-display fingerprint sensor has emerged as one of the bigger points of contention. Some are having issues with screen protectors, and Google now offers a list of brands that make accessories certified for the Pixel 6 and 6 Pro.

Update 1/17/22: The Google Support article has been updated again with some much needed brand/naming clarifications. Zagg is referred to as InvisibleShield — though the Pixel 6 version remains out of stock and the 6 Pro’s is currently unlisted, but ImpactShield is now Tech21. Meanwhile, Case-Mate has been added. The updated list is as follows:

• Case-Mate:
      • Pixel 6 Protection Pack ($45)
      • Pixel 6 Pro Protection Pack ($45)
    • Zagg: (Curiously not listed on the Made for Google page)
      • Glass Elite for Google Pixel 6 ($39.99)
      • Glass Curve Elite for Google Pixel 6 Pro ($49.99)
    • OtterBox:
      • Pixel 6 Clearly Protected Film Screen Protector ($19.95)
      • Pixel 6 Pro Clearly Protected Film Screen Protector ($19.95)
    • Panzerglass:
      • PanzerGlass Google Pixel 6 (€29,95)
      • PanzerGlass Google Pixel 6 Pro – TPU Film (€26,95)
    • Tech21:
      • Tech21 Impact Shield for Google Pixel 6 ($29.99) [Amazon]
      • Impact Shield for Google Pixel 6 Pro ($29.95) [Amazon]

Update 11/15/21: Google has added “ImpactShield” to the list. We believe that this is in reference to RhinoShield’s Impact Flex Screen Protector rather than Tech21, which does not sell any Pixel 6 screen protectors yet.

Original 11/6/21: As of last Thursday, the Google Support page on how to “Unlock your Pixel phone with your fingerprint” only had the following to say about what screen protectors are “compatible” with the Pixel 6:

Check the Made for Google manufacturers websites for compatible screen protectors.
    Google just linked to the main list of brands that have “accessories designed and tested to work seamlessly with your Pixel phone,” thus requiring manual browsing.

Fortunately, that section was updated in the past week with specifics:

Brands that are Made for Google certified for Pixel 6 Pro and Pixel 6 are Zagg, Otterbox, and Panzerglass.
    That said, models from all three brands are mostly sold out, while the Google Store does not currently sell any – Zagg’s is listed as “out of stock.”

Of course, many other brands, including well-known ones, offer screen protectors that have yet to be listed by Google. For its part, the company’s official guidance is:

If your fingerprint won’t scan, it might be because of your screen protector. Make sure you’re using a screen protector that is Made for Google certified.
    Our advice is that it takes some time to adjust to under-display fingerprint sensors compared to past Pixel’s rear-mounted sensor. Mainly, you have to keep your finger on the reader rather than being able to quickly tap and lift.

It’s an optical under-display fingerprint sensor that’s a bit slower than the likes of what OnePlus uses, but I don’t have much of an issue with it after nearly two weeks of using it between the Pro and standard models. It’s a bit slower and slightly picky about your placement, but it gets the job done. Once muscle memory kicks in, I don’t think you’ll have any problems.
    The only "glass" one is from Zagg and it looks like standard edge adhesive dot matrix. Interesting to see that it's apparently compatible with fingerprint reader though.

It's sold out already, any of you friendly people get one?
    If you go to the question section:
    Q: Is the adhesive only on the sides?
    Answers (1)
    ZAGGTeam
    A: It is not. The Glass Curve Elite is full-adhesive.

Q: Will this screen protector actually work with the fingerprint sensor? I have another brand as this is out of stock and I have NOT gotten that one to work properly at all!
    Answers (1)
    ZAGGTeam
    A: Yes. The Glass Curve Elite is engineered to be compatible with the most advanced biometric scanners that are designed to make today’s smartphones more secure.

for TPU ones, LK (avail on amazon) are cheap and doing great.
    Updated the OP with latest Google certifications.
    They apparently haven't discovered LOCA-based TGSPs yet 😅 🤦‍♂️