Google Music audio distortion

Search This thread

ArmanUV

Jan 26, 2012
Is anybody experiencing audio distortion with google music and 4.0.4?
It happens a lot (3-4 times during a song) and it sounds the same as a scratched CD (it sorta "hangs" on part of a song for a few seconds).
This is not the same as screen off distortion issue that was reported earlier by a lot of people. This one happens both when I am using the phone and when the screen is off.

ArmanUV

Jan 26, 2012
Not happening here. Does it only happen when streaming (not stored music)? And is this on WiFi or 3G?

Both wifi and 3g. I doubt it's network related beacause the app shows that the song is fully buffered. Even if I go to the begining of a cached song it still happens.

psak

Oct 13, 2010
i experienced similar behavior couples times with screen on playing long track/radio podcast/mix(stored internally) running 4.0.2(google music version was 4.1.512 - before updated logo) while gnex was connect to car aux, but i haven't be able to replicate it again.

Smokeey

Oct 8, 2010
College Station, TX
Happens sometimes. Doesn't matter whether its local or streaming, but it seems related to the phone locking up or running out of RAM/CPU usage. Something along those lines because whenever it happens (rarely) the entire phone skips or locks up for a second.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

ArmanUV

Jan 26, 2012
Happens sometimes. Doesn't matter whether its local or streaming, but it seems related to the phone locking up or running out of RAM/CPU usage. Something along those lines because whenever it happens (rarely) the entire phone skips or locks up for a second.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

You might be right. It does appear to happen more often when doing heavy multitasking.
It's kinda unusable for me right now because it's happening so lot.

Anthonok

Jul 21, 2010
St. Cloud
Already a thread somewhere for this. But I do have the issue as well. As stated it doesn't matter if its streaming or local. Had it happen on cm9 an aokp. Also without heavy multitasking

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

ArmanUV

Jan 26, 2012
Thanks for the confirmation guys. It seems like I'm a lot more affected by this issue than the most of you.
Do you mind sharing your rom/kernel/governer/freq settings? maybe we can find a common ground?

kensim781

Apr 8, 2012
Is anybody experiencing audio distortion with google music and 4.0.4?
It happens a lot (3-4 times during a song) and it sounds the same as a scratched CD (it sorta "hangs" on part of a song for a few seconds).
This is not the same as screen off distortion issue that was reported earlier by a lot of people. This one happens both when I am using the phone and when the screen is off.

Are your mp3s encoded in the 48khz range? If so it's a bug in the google music player which cause it to 'lag' while it decode the mp3 file, no problems on mp3s in the 44khz range. Dunno about the new ver of google music player haven't try it and don't intend to after i migrate to Poweramp.

ArmanUV

Jan 26, 2012
Are your mp3s encoded in the 48khz range? If so it's a bug in the google music player which cause it to 'lag' while it decode the mp3 file, no problems on mp3s in the 44khz range. Dunno about the new ver of google music player haven't try it and don't intend to after i migrate to Poweramp.

Interesting. I just checked and I have about 20 48khz songs. I'm not sure if they are the ones that get distorted. I'll keep an eye on those tracks. Thanks!

kensim781

Apr 8, 2012
Just go for Poweramp. It's worth the money and it can play 48khz mp3s silky smooth. Just remember to set the options to 'Highest Thread Priority' and '750ms' buffers. There's a 14 days full features trial version, download it and have a try. :)

rylake

Jun 27, 2009
For those that are having issues when the screen goes off, the following worked for me.

When a song is playing, go to the top of the screen to the "..." and select sound effects. Turn on the Equalizer to whatever you want and it should work much better for you.

ArmanUV

Jan 26, 2012
Just go for Poweramp. It's worth the money and it can play 48khz mp3s silky smooth. Just remember to set the options to 'Highest Thread Priority' and '750ms' buffers. There's a 14 days full features trial version, download it and have a try. :)

we're using google music for its streaming feature, not because we're not capable of using other players

Gilbot

Jul 29, 2010
Milpitas
we're using google music for its streaming feature, not because we're not capable of using other players

Exactly.

I'll try the sound effects thing as long as it doesn't interfere with DSP manager

Edit: lol it takes me directly to DSPmanager which is already enabled.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using xda premium

Last edited:

ArmanUV

Jan 26, 2012
Exactly.

I'll try the sound effects thing as long as it doesn't interfere with DSP manager

Edit: lol it takes me directly to DSPmanager which is already enabled.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using xda premium

please keep us updated about whether using dsp manager works or not.