Google Music without Root?

Search This thread

batebate

Dec 22, 2016
Hi

The current updated version from my Nvidia Shield is : Google Play Music_5.9.1863R.3304973

Remember that the Shield and the Nexus both are Android TV.

The Shield on the newest firmware version, running Android TV marshmallow.
I dont know on the Nexus, but i suppose that use the same gooMusic version.

cheers.

Reactions: rcrh

RED ZMAN

Totally strange. I'm pretty sure batebate says its from an nvidia shield.
Did you check the version number all the way through release digits (5.9.1863R.3304973)?

If the R.... part is different could you post that one? I'd like to sort this out.

Oh, do you have a google music subscription?

I don't understand what's so strange. You and I downloaded and installed the same file of course it's the same version number. I said above it's the same version number. I'm the one that posted the screenshots on the previous page so I know how to read this version numbers all the way to the end.

Yes, I have a Google Play music subscription for my family.

rcrh

Jun 21, 2011
I don't understand what's so strange. You and I downloaded and installed the same file of course it's the same version number. I said above it's the same version number. I'm the one that posted the screenshots on the previous page so I know how to read this version numbers all the way to the end.

Yes, I have a Google Play music subscription for my family.

What's totally strange is that we're running the same version and have different features. You have radio stations... I don't. You have instant mixes that work... I don't. etc.
To me that seems strange.

Mar 23, 2011
Google Pixel 3 XL
Is anybody else having the issue in which the Fire TV goes to sleep while playing music? I've tried using Caffeine, but am unable to give it app usage permissions in order to only keep it awake while using Play Music. I could keep it awake at all times, but would prefer a more elegant solution. Thanks.

RED ZMAN

Is anybody else having the issue in which the Fire TV goes to sleep while playing music? I've tried using Caffeine, but am unable to give it app usage permissions in order to only keep it awake while using Play Music. I could keep it awake at all times, but would prefer a more elegant solution. Thanks.

I used the latest version of Google Play music for about 8 hours yesterday while I was telling working and this problem got Beyond frustrating. Between this and the things that just don't work since it is side-loaded I'm seriously considering picking up one of those new Shield boxes from Nvidia.

rcrh

Jun 21, 2011
I used the latest version of Google Play music for about 8 hours yesterday while I was telling working and this problem got Beyond frustrating. Between this and the things that just don't work since it is side-loaded I'm seriously considering picking up one of those new Shield boxes from Nvidia.

For what you're going to spend on that box you could pay for almost three years of Amazon Music Unlimited and just keep using your fireTV.
New gadgets are always sexy but so is cash in pocket.

RED ZMAN

For what you're going to spend on that box you could pay for almost three years of Amazon Music Unlimited and just keep using your fireTV.
New gadgets are always sexy but so is cash in pocket.

I'm already using Google play music The Family version with five other members of my family on it and prefer it to Amazon's Music Unlimited from what I've tried on both of them. I like the fact that when I search for songs using Google Now I'm prompted to go right into adding them and that doesn't happen if I'm in Amazon unlimited customer.

The price of its kind of inconsequential I don't really mind. The old Fire TV will go get hooked up to my wife's gaming TV, and then I can get rid of one of my Google homes and give it to my son and once the smart things stick comes out I can also get rid of my SmartThings box. massively simplify my entertainment center wiring and layout.

There's a lot of my use case scenarios that this thing will make better in the long run especially when the spot mics come out if I feel I need more coverage around the house.

Reactions: rcrh

jfchandler

Aug 14, 2010
Apologies for the delay. Holiday party was yesterday.

From batebate: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_pETCT74gYaY1Nzd1I2WTBudjA/view?usp=sharing

Google Music v 5.9. Library, Recommended, Radio all work. Search does not.

The above file download link appears to be dead.... Is there a valid link somewhere?

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

So strange. My 5.9 has
Search (doesn't work)
Recent Activity
Recommended
My Library
Instant Mix
Settings.

The 5.7 version had all of this except Instant Mix. And the instant mix doesn't carry over from those I create on my phone nor on the website (so it really doesn't add much).

Could there be two different 5.9's here? One from the Nexus play & one from the Shield? I pulled this one from batebate. i think it is from the Shield
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_pETCT74gYaY1Nzd1I2WTBudjA/view?usp=sharing

Red Zman could you repost a link to your apk from the nexus player?
Thanks.

This same link is likewise dead....

beardfromfargo

May 10, 2017
Look Mom, no root!
Got the Music and Movies/TV apps working, even with voice search!

Fire TV OS version: 5.2.4.1
Google Play Services: 10.2.98 (030 version)
Google Play Store: 6.0.2-leanback
Google Play Music version: 5.9.1854R
Google Play Movies & TV: 3.25.3-tv

oh and install "Voice Search" from google, search any APK site.

In case you haven't read the thread, on first log in to the store app, it'll fail and that's OK. Just hit the home button and start using Google Play Music, Movies & TV!

[Edit]
I wanted to clarify my findings, as you might have tried above versions before with different results than I got.
In Fire OS (v5.2.4 at least), some older versions of Google Play Music are crashing, and some are acting weird. Looks like some versions of Music would fail to open the search bar (I mean ... that really REALLY sucks) but you could technically play some music from your library, but it would crash randomly. Other versions would fail to start entirely. Both times, ADB logcat pointed me towards the missing "android.speech.action.RECOGNIZE_SPEECH" intent consumer app. Installing Google Voice Search fixed this.

Last edited:

rcrh

Jun 21, 2011
Look Mom, no root!
Got the Music and Movies/TV apps working, even with voice search!

Fire TV OS version: 5.2.4.1
Google Play Services: 10.2.98 (030 version)

oh and install "Voice Search" from google, search any APK site.

In case you haven't read the thread, on first log in to the store app, it'll fail and that's OK. Just hit the home button and start using Google Play Music, Movies & TV!

[Edit]
I wanted to clarify my findings, as you might have tried above versions before with different results than I got.
In Fire OS (v5.2.4 at least), some older versions of Google Play Music are crashing, and some are acting weird. Looks like some versions of Music would fail to open the search bar (I mean ... that really REALLY sucks) but you could technically play some music from your library, but it would crash randomly. Other versions would fail to start entirely. Both times, ADB logcat pointed me towards the missing "android.speech.action.RECOGNIZE_SPEECH" intent consumer app. Installing Google Voice Search fixed this.

Any chance of putting together a zip of the working APKs?
I found
Google Play services (Android TV) 10.2.98 (836-146496160)
http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google...-836-146496160-android-apk-download/download/
http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google...lay-store-android-tv-6-0-2-release/#downloads
http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google...music-5-9-1854r-1904527-android-apk-download/
http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google...gle-play-movies-tv-android-tv-3-25-3-release/
Voice Search
http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google...ease/voice-search-2-1-4-android-apk-download/

I'm going to try this when I get home.
***update***
Well that didn't work. The playmusic version above wouldn't install. I tried v5.9.1863 and it installed and would run but didn't give me access to any of the streaming content in PlayMusic. The search did work but only looked through my only library. Also, I can only launch the app by going into Settings/Apps/installed apps. There is no icon on the launcher.
Hopefully someone will find a newer version of playmusic that works.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Its Pretty Straight forward. Google search the following.

Google Login Service apk
    Google Music Leanback apk
    Google Play Store Leanback apk
    Google Play Services apk

Install all apks
    Go to Play store, log in. Should take you through set up questions and then fail to load the store. Then click on Play Music and your library should load. Just done it this afternoon and seems to run quite well
    i sent the link to davejc

the version from the Nvidia Shield is: Google Play Music_5.9.1863R.3304973

cheera
    Install Kodi, then use download the plugin.audio.googlemusic.exp-1.7.2.zip and install it. After you have set up your password it work great.

https://app.box.com/s/hchh3jdrocgdgcug9vs8rv8uwqlihqk9
    Followed the steps and was able to get Google Music installed. I have 2 followup questions tho.

1. Is there a way to get the newer version of Google Music? I use Stations more than I individual artists. I tried installing the latest version from APKMirror, but it won't actually connect to anything.

2. I keep getting notifications that I need to update Play services. Is there a newer apk I should be using?

For what it's worth, I'm on Fire OS 5.2.4.0

The google play music app won't work. You need to find the "leanback" version.
    I haven't been able to find one newer then the one in this thread. Maybe someone with a nexus player or shield can help us.
    I'm still new to the terminology with the TV systems.... "leanback" is the qualifier for Android TV Apps??
    "leanback" is what Google calls their versions that are made to work with a remote (& do not require a touch screen).

---------- Post added at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

Funny that we are all looking for the same thing. Has to exist right?

I've got a friend with a Nexus Player, let me check with him.
    That would be a christmas miracle! ;):good: