Google Nexus 6 - What do you think?

Search This thread

paychex

Aug 10, 2013
Baltimore
I can't see Google releasing L alongside the 64-Bit Nexus 9 (or whatever it's called) and then also releasing a new Nexus phone that is "only" 32-Bit. It seems contradictory. Google: "Welcome to 64-Bit android!" "...and here is our new Nexus 5 (2014) that doesn't support it!"

Who knows, I could certainly be wrong. Maybe they would do that. But I don't think so.

Personally, I don't think we're going to see a new Nexus 5/6 this year if it has to use a Snapdragon 801/805. It just doesn't make sense. We've heard very few rumors about the new Nexus phone as well, but plenty about the tablet, which seems to me to indicate that the new Nexus may turn into a Q1/Q2 2015 affair.

Of course there are other options. Nvidia and Google have been working very closely on project Denver. Early on, Nvidia claimed that the primary goal of Denver was to create a powerful SOC that would be "phone friendly". HUGE speculation, and most likely wrong, but there is always the possibility that we may see Denver in the Nexus 9, as well as in the Nexus 5/6. They would need to pair the SOC with a modem, however, which may not be bad, depending on which modem they were to use - Nvidia's own Icera modems are just not that competitive right now. Intel, however, has a brand new beast of a modem in the XMM7260. I can dream, and my dream of the next Nexus is with a power optimized (lower clocks, voltages, binned) project Denver on-board with an XMM7260 baseband.

...but even I know that last dream is highly unlikely..hah.

I'd be ok waiting for a snapdragon 810 if they are early 2015

Last edited:

jsgraphicart

Nov 25, 2011
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 7 Pro
So the Nexus X will be release by MOTO?

This is bad news in my country because

an official MOTO's distributer/reseller was closed for 2 years. :confused:

The next Nexus will be released and sold by Google just like all the Nexus devices before it. It just won't be Motorola selling it themselves.

In other news, it looks like we just got a new look here on XDA.

vsod99

Sep 22, 2014
I'm very interested in the nexus 6 if it's specs are as they were leaked earlier. I want a 6 inch screen but I wouldn't mind a 5.2 inch either. I'd like a 2k display and a 64bit snapdragon processor. One issue I have is the design mockup, I don't want it to look exactly like a MOTO X but similar would be OK. Price wise, I'd like under 500.

dwang

Nov 23, 2008
A person named Michael Sudol posted a picture of the actual device compared to a lg g3 to android police.

Looks to be similar in size to an iPhone 6+.

original.jpg

Last edited:

nigelhealy

Aug 3, 2012
Preston
A person named Michael Sudol posted a picture of the actual device compared to a lg g3 to android police.

Looks to be similar in size to an iPhone 6+.

original.jpg

So that looks the least-fake photo I've seen but that sticker..... still has fake-ness hints.

If true a 6" size then I'm disappointed. A large phone makes sense to those who want one device and that doesn't make sense when you got the likes of the Nexus 7 around in the Nexus line which can do a much better job of all the larger-screen tasks and comes with its own battery.

That niche of those who either have a decent one-device reason for one large phone, or those who just want bigger to show off, is not healthy, useful or relevant to phone development nor does it help Android at all as the GUI of Android, the purpose of Nexus line, to be capable of scaling down to <5" size upwards to tablets.

A 5" Nexus is right thing to do for Google Nexus line, simply tweak the weakest parts of Nexus 5 is the right thing to do (not its size but battery, camera, 64bit for Android's sake). If Google is actually going to make a 6" then idiots them and I'm just going to buy a used Nexus 5 as its near-perfect apart from a few issues which matters on the fringe.

I own a OnePlusOne and I'm saying factually from real solid nearly 2 months hands-on now, that >5" is not the way to go for a phone. The way to go is 5" phone and a decent pocketable tablet like a less-bezel Nexus 7 (the gPAD 8.3 comes close 19% bezel vs N7 29% bezel).

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

Long as you can purchase from Google play you'll be fine

Google Play =

+ good warranty support

- they charge SalesTax and postage.

dwang

Nov 23, 2008
I don't think there would be enough of a spec bump to warrant a new nexus 5 at this time.

While I would love a larger battery and an improved camera, the current ones on the nexus 5 aren't horrible by any means. I consistently get 5+ hours SOT with my nexus 5 and I don't have any issues w the camera.

And the nexus 5 is already the fastest android device out there. With ART enabled, my nexus 5 is blazingly fast.

I think the nexus x is the only new phone we are going to get this year.

So that looks the least-fake photo I've seen but that sticker..... still has fake-ness hints.

If true a 6" size then I'm disappointed. A large phone makes sense to those who want one device and that doesn't make sense when you got the likes of the Nexus 7 around in the Nexus line which can do a much better job of all the larger-screen tasks and comes with its own battery.

That niche of those who either have a decent one-device reason for one large phone, or those who just want bigger to show off, is not healthy, useful or relevant to phone development nor does it help Android at all as the GUI of Android, the purpose of Nexus line, to be capable of scaling down to <5" size upwards to tablets.

A 5" Nexus is right thing to do for Google Nexus line, simply tweak the weakest parts of Nexus 5 is the right thing to do (not its size but battery, camera, 64bit for Android's sake). If Google is actually going to make a 6" then idiots them and I'm just going to buy a used Nexus 5 as its near-perfect apart from a few issues which matters on the fringe.

I own a OnePlusOne and I'm saying factually from real solid nearly 2 months hands-on now, that >5" is not the way to go for a phone. The way to go is 5" phone and a decent pocketable tablet like a less-bezel Nexus 7 (the gPAD 8.3 comes close 19% bezel vs N7 29% bezel).

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

Google Play =

+ good warranty support

- they charge SalesTax and postage.

nigelhealy

Aug 3, 2012
Preston
I don't think there would be enough of a spec bump to warrant a new nexus 5 at this time.

While I would love a larger battery and an improved camera, the current ones on the nexus 5 aren't horrible by any means. I consistently get 5+ hours SOT with my nexus 5 and I don't have any issues w the camera.

And the nexus 5 is already the fastest android device out there. With ART enabled, my nexus 5 is blazingly fast.

I think the nexus x is the only new phone we are going to get this year.

Agreed, the N5 is a great phone, hence just a tweak using Oct 2014 tech, they can tweak battery mah up, tweak camera up, and use 64bit cpu with a bit more boost there. I'd keep the phone the same size but if they have to make it a little bigger for the battery then a small increase. No need for >1080p screen, as there's no content no benefit and just cost and battery downsides.

If the purpose of Google with Nexus is to be a reference model, Google can't make the Nexus large as then it doesn't act to test GUI at the 5" size. Google can test larger GUIs on a N7 or its successor (less-bezel slightly bigger N7 = N8).

Google can leave others like Moto line to do 6" phones, it's not the role of Nexus to go there.

I'm fearing though a 6" phone is happening, its just a phase we'll laugh back at in 2 years when the 5-day-battery-life 5" $300 phone has dominated.

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 AM ----------

History remembers when hats needed to be that little bit taller....

5818bfbbeb585713e6bdf053fb661e26.jpg

or skirts had to be that little bit wider

1859godeydress007.jpg

or wigs that little bit longer

powdered-wig_5.jpg

These big phones are laughable non-practical current fads. 5" is the maximum size phone for all but the largest 10" of phones. Everyone else wanting one, well look above at how stupid you'll look now.

vsod99

Sep 22, 2014
On second thought I think 5.5 inches would be the perfect size. 6 is a bit large and 5 is a bit small imo, and the oneplus one demonstrates a perfect balance between the two.

vsod99

Sep 22, 2014
Yeah I have big hands. Whatever, to each his own. I'll buy the nexus 6 at any range between five and six inches anyway.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If the N6 is going to be the first Nexus with 64 processor and OS, then Google please call it N64, that would be awesome :D

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Honestly, if the new nexus doesnt have atleast have a 780ti equivalent gpu, it will fail, it better have atleast 12gbs of ram with a 32 inch screen. and if it doesnt make me smoothies, ill pass
    Will it be called Nexus 6 ? The number represent the screen.

Not sure that google will make a 6" phone. Maybe it'll be like the Nexus 7 ? A 2014 version of Nexus 5 ?

I would reply to this..but typing is a **** on my Nexus One.
    Spec wise, not on the OS end.
    Oh you mean fancy names that generally don't mean anything?
    1Gig
    Dual core
    Same 8mp camera
    Now a bigger phone which Apple mockingly talked about Samsung in their last keynote, said they would never upsize but now offer a 5.5 inch phone with the same specs as the 4.7 phone??

Or did you mean the same 16-32 storage with that ridiculous price tag for a 2 year lockdown?

Nah Google is fine. Believe me.

b2c2fea4253e19b03bff2d7e914eb680.jpg

[emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24]
    Honestly if this size crying does not stop I might be tempted to make another N6 thread for actual discussion on the technology and the software. Not an bloody echo chamber about how its too big for them.

Hell with the amount of complaining about size you would think this would be something that was going to be forced into everyone's anal cavity, Not a mobile device. Its absolutely absurd the amount of *****ing is taking place here.

Can we just have a goddamn civil discussion on the Nexus 6 without having to ***** on the size? Please?!?