Google Now/Voice Commands on the GNex

Search This thread

nexus9988

Aug 5, 2010
Freeport
Just thought I would start a nice section for people who come across any nice interesting questions or commands to ask Google Now/Voice.

I tried:
"What's the Meaning of Life."
"Play <Insert Artist Here>"

Any of you guys find any other nice commands to use?

Reactions: stickerbob

harveydent

Feb 24, 2009
Just thought I would start a nice section for people who come across any nice interesting questions or commands to ask Google Now/Voice.

I tried:
"What's the Meaning of Life."
"Play <Insert Artist Here>"

Any of you guys find any other nice commands to use?

You can find several starting at page 36 of the free Nexus 7 handbook. There are a lot of them

EDIT: beaten to it by NXT

Last edited:

RellikZephyr

Mar 5, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Does Google now work outside us? Mine only does Google searches, no app or cards basically. Even asking the weather does a Google search instead of weather card

What am I doing wrong?

Rellikzephyr

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

siggehandf

Jul 8, 2010
Hjørring
Same here. How do you enable this outside the us? It's pretty awesome at understanding my English, and but all it does is search when I ask it something.

bedoig

Aug 5, 2006
I tried a bunch of cool stuff last night that gave the nice, card-based, spoken answers. I wish I could remember more of them, but a few were:

How tall is Yao Ming?

What is the capital of Thailand?

What is 2,346 times 547?

Other cool actions:

Remind me to check the oven in 20 minutes.

Listen to Coldplay...(which launched Rhapsody and started playing Coldplay songs)

Last edited:

RellikZephyr

Mar 5, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
To the people having the same problem as me (does web search not not cards or apps) set the phone language to English (US) (go to settings, language & input, language) and it will bring Google Now back to life

RellikZephyr

ellimistx99

Jun 2, 2007
Can anyone just upload it here for all us international users? Also, where can I find Market Enabler?

anton2009

Aug 21, 2010
Lincoln, NE

Attachments

• Nexus7.jpg
    Nexus7.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 4,493
  • Nexus7(2).jpg
    Nexus7(2).jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 4,182
Last edited:

nxt

I went to a locksmith the other day, and I was looking again for the name just now and found the address, I type it in on the website google maps.

I just looked at my phone now and it automatically showed traffic/navigation info on the Google Now screen! awesome!

snowboarda42

Jun 30, 2010
Starbucks, WA
Try These:

"When do the Mariner's play next?"

"Who do the Mariner's Play Next?"

"Did the Mariner's win their last game?"

"How are the Seattle mariner's doing?"

"Remind me to turn off the water in three minutes"

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Can anyone just upload it here for all us international users? Also, where can I find Market Enabler?

Here you go.
    Buy (free) the Nexus 7 manual off the Google Play Books store.
    Page 35 and up tells you the commands it uses for the cool card results and other voice actions/searches.
    Any suggestion for someone outside us who has no access to the play books section?

https://play.google.com/store/books...t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImJvb2stZ0ttUUQ0N092Q1lDIl0.

Can you see that?
    For people in the UK/outside US,

If you voice search something like "who is the president of the united states" etc

The answer card will come up, but is there an image with it?

No. Currently, answer cards will only contain images if you've selected 'google.com' as the domain. Otherwise, there are no images, since Knowledge Graph has not been released yet for many local domains. The downside of selecting 'google.com', however, is that weather searches will default to Washington DC if you're outside the US. But that's ok, since you can still specify your location to get the weather. Just a few extra words to say. :)

Also, there are many, many types of queries that were not demoed on stage during IO 2012. I made a video with 40+ of them.
    You can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHkhp6BwnGo

For example, you can ask:

- What's the height requirement for Space Mountain (Disney ride), it will respond 3' 4 inches

- How much is Angelina Jolie worth? it will respond $30 million

- GOOG (or any company stock) - it will speak the stock price to you

- Where did Natalie Portman go to college? it will give you a list of schools

- When is sunrise/sunset ? it will give you the next sunrise/sunset time based on your location (or specify a location)

- You can ask for directions and specify whether you want 'walking' or 'driving', and the app will give the correct mode of transportation

- How long is [MOVIE TITLE] - will give you the length of the movie

Check out the rest in my video. :)
    It works, except that "what is the meaning of life" doesn't do anything cool, and nor does "I'm hungry" sadly...wat is it supposed to do?

Also say: "do a barrel roll"