Question Google Pay (unsupported country, will app will be pre-installed?)

Search This thread

DomasG

Apr 22, 2015
Hello!

If I am living in an unsupported country Google pay app probably by default won't be visible inside the watch? (the same thing was with Samsung pay on Galaxy Watch 3). Or does this model already has a pre-installed Google pay app in all regions and we just need to have a valid credit card?

If not, is it possible somewhere to change the region of the watch or better purchase the UK/DE version instead of my countries version?

Thanks!

Beso

Oct 15, 2008
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Will it be possible to install it like on mobile device and use it?
I am also living in unsupported country but it I can user google pay on mobile phone with apk installation...

DomasG

Apr 22, 2015
On mobile APK installed working without any problems, but how you can install it on the Wear OS app, not from the app store, it is possible somehow to upload it like on the phone? (sorry for the newbie questions, it will be my first Wear OS watch.

RedbPT

Aug 28, 2021
I tried sideloading the GPay app to the Watch via ADB and its working!
I'm from Portugal and it let me add my Revolut card with no issues.
I've not tried to pay with it yet but at least GPay is opening and showing the card.
I'll update tomorrow when i try.

Reactions: DomasG

DomasG

Apr 22, 2015
I've not tried to pay with it yet but at least GPay is opening and showing the card.
Thanks for the great news!

RedbPT

Aug 28, 2021
I might have jumped the gun on this one. After a few hours the Watch disables GPay, and its has to be enabled again via Samsung Wearable. When this happens I can no longer select GPay as a payment method in NFC settings. I'll keep investigating, but it seems its not a permanent solution...

Reactions: reikar

DomasG

Apr 22, 2015
I might have jumped the gun on this one. After a few hours the Watch disables GPay, and its has to be enabled again via Samsung Wearable. When this happens I can no longer select GPay as a payment method in NFC settings. I'll keep investigating, but it seems its not a permanent solution...
In case if you will find any working solution fo fix this, please share it!

Reactions: RedbPT

gyrga

Apr 1, 2011

Hi! Could you please share the Gpay version that you've used and also the region set on your watch? I've tried sideloading multiple Gpay versions and while I was able to install it, it always crashes when I try to open it. Really curious to learn more about your particular setup.

gyrga

Apr 1, 2011
After changing my watch's region to UK and sideloading this version of Google Pay to it, I was finally able to make it work (I'm in the Netherlands, where it's not officially supported on wearabels).

Kage_Musha

Mar 15, 2015
Were you able to pay with it?
I set mine Watch's region to Germany and sideloaded the Gpay app on the phone. I was able to add a N26 card (it didn't pick up the existing card I had), but after a while it simply was not in my watch's app drawer anymore. I was able to re-enable it in the Galaxy Wearable app and tried to pay with it, which failed (could have been the store I was at).
But now the Gpay app is gone again and I'm unable to re-enable it heh.

After changing my watch's region to UK and sideloading this version of Google Pay to it, I was finally able to make it work (I'm in the Netherlands, where it's not officially supported on wearabels).
Hello man, how I can change my region to UK as well ? I'm from Cyprus and the gpay is not available also here. So Please let me know how I can change my region to UK and hopefully it will work ! Thanks a lot!

mascool

May 5, 2009
LA
Google Pixel 6
I reset my watch and picked UK, then installed GPay from the Play store on the watch (which looks like it's the same version as the one you posted `2.135.389276953`) and GPay app still gets disabled after a while. Is the secret to side-load it instead of installing it from the Play Store ?

UPDATE: nope, still gets disabled and removed from the home screen even after sideloading

Last edited:

szilasz

Dec 29, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Same story here.
I have an LTE model. When initializing it doesn't list the Western European regions for selection. However I have a UK google account as well next to the primary.
Through that I am able to install Google Pay, through the watch from the Play Store, initialize it and use it.
Until it gets disabled.
The important part here is that is is not removed but disabled only.
Meaning, if I want to pay with the watch, I can find it in the play store on the watch again and enable it. Then it will work for a period.
I can live with this but it is hardly optimal....

szilasz

Dec 29, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
So basically there aren't any working solutions to make Gpay working smoothly...
Yes, for me it is baffling that they are taking care of such important features as writing a process to block modules... when there is plenty there to improve upon... Like who cares if you have Samsung Pay or Google Pay on your watch? If you don't have a compatible credit card you are F..d anyway. Samsung own Messages app is bundled next to Google's. I use the later to have RCS, since Samsung does that feature region locked as well.... can I remove Samsung's Messaging app? Only if I purge it with ADB... otherwise it remains. But not the payment apps.... sigh. bonkers.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    (updated Sept 5 to include some VPN steps that were missing)

After a lot of attempts with a varying degree of success, I think I've finally managed to make it work in an unsupported country (I am in the Netherlands, but I think this method will work for any region). The Google Pay has been on my watch for more than 24 hrs without disappearing, and I also was able to pay with the watch!

Here are the steps to get it working:
    • Not sure if this is actually needed, but I’ve reset my watch to UK region instead of NL first. I think this is not necessary, but I am not resetting my watch again to try it 😊
    • Sideload this version of Google Pay to your watch: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/googl...wear-os-2-135-389276953-android-apk-download/. You’ll need to enable developer mode on your watch (Settings => About watch => Software => tap multiple times on "Software version") and “adb debugging” + “Debug over wifi” in the developer options. Then sideload the gpay app through adb or an app like Bugjaeger. DO NOT OPEN THE APP ON THE WATCH YET!!!
    • Turn wifi and gps off on the watch. Turn off the watch.
    • VPN on your phone to a country where Google Pay is supported on the watch (I used UK).
    • Turn on the watch and then start Google Pay on the watch while wifi and location are off, and VPN is active on the phone. It should finish installing properly and appear in the NFC menu (might need another reboot if it does not). You can then disable the VPN on your phone.
    • Add your card to Google Pay on the watch. Any card will work so long as a) it has a regular 16-digit number (so IBAN cards, unfortunately, won’t work) and b) comes from a country where Google Pay is supported on phones (for example, in the Netherlands Google Pay is not officially available on wearables, but since the phone version works fine, you can still add a Dutch card on the watch with this method).
    • Now, the most important part: after some time (in my experiments it was anywhere between 5 minutes and 5 hours), the Google Pay app will get disabled and disappear from the watch. You might be able to re-enable it from your phone’s Galaxy Wearables app (list of apps => app info => Google Pay), but it soon gets disabled again for good and it’s not possible to re-enable it again through the app, so you’ll have to uninstall it from the watch and then sideload it again. The solution is to pay with the watch in a store before Google Pay gets disabled: it seems that after the first payment some Google Pay and/or system settings are updated, so the app won’t get disabled anymore!
    Important: if you have a non-regular card added to your phone’s Google Pay (for example, IBAN card in the Netherlands), then Google Pay on the watch will give you an error "Something went wrong, please try again" after trying to get your cards during step #2. You can try to remove this card from Google Pay on your phone, which would allow you to proceed with steps #2 and #3 on the watch. However, after this on my phone I got an error “Couldn’t finish setup to pay in stores. This phone can’t be used to pay in stores. This may be because it is rooted or altered in some other way”. I am not sure what exactly is broken here, but a solution for Samsung phones is:
    • Flash a different region firmware with Odin using HOME_CSC to keep all the info intact. I think it does not matter which region you choose as long as it supports Google Pay. I’ve randomly chosen a Vietnam one.
    • This seems to fix Google Pay on the phone and now you should be able to add your card back without any errors. Perhaps there is an easier way to fix Google Pay without reflashing, but nothing else worked for me.
    • Flash your original region firmware with Odin (and again use HOME_CSC or you’ll lose your data!). Now you should have fully working Google Pay both on the watch and the phone. Your IBAN card will be working only on the phone, though.
    Hmm, I think I had the same issue at some point, but I thought it's something specific to my setup. Try the following:
    1) Delete Google pay from the watch. Reboot the watch.
    2) Sideload it again, but do not open it yet.
    3) Turn wifi and gps off on the watch. Turn off the watch.
    4) VPN on your phone to a country where Google Pay is supported on the watch (I used UK).
    5) Turn on the watch and then start Google Pay on the watch while wifi and location are off, and VPN is active on the phone. It should finish installaling properly and appear in the NFC menu (might need another reboot if it does not). You can then disable the VPN and go make a payment in a store to prevent the app from getting disabled.
    This was it! I was able to pay with the Watch, although i forgot to turn off the VPN while making payment. I've turned it off now, tomorrow i'll update on wether the app stayed on the Watch or not!
    Thanks for your guidance mate!

Edit: the app got disabled again. It lasted for 16h, but right now its disabled and it wont let me enable it. @gyrga , is it still avaliable to you?
    In case if you will find any working solution fo fix this, please share it!