Question Google Pay (unsupported country, will app will be pre-installed?)

Search This thread

pleitegeier

Sep 4, 2011
Google pay is now supported in my country as well so I downloaded it on my watch, but how can we overcome the NFC settings "no payment apps installed"? OK, Gpay payments can be made by opening the app, but would be better if you did not have to open the app either.
The App always have to be opened for payments.
The setting in nfc doesn't matter.

thanito

Jul 10, 2008
Bottom button always is reserved for Samsung pay.

Only way to shortcut Google pay: double press top button
This is what I have done for now, but I suppose that if you are able select in payment apps Gpay as default, maybe you could replace Spay from the long press bottom button

sanderh

May 23, 2007
Hi guys,
I m located in the Netherlands and I own a Samsung S21 Plus, Samsung Watch 4 and I have a N26 and ABN Amro account (both support GP). Even though GP is not supported officially yet in the Netherlands for wearables it does already work natively for paying with your phone with GP. ABN Amro for example added GP to it s own app.

I think all the hassle to get GP work in my watch 4 is not worth it because it will only be a matter of weeks before GP will be native supported in the Netherlands too (Belgium and Germany are already supported)

Last edited:

sanderh

May 23, 2007
I did a fresh install of both my phone and GW4. After the clean installation I first installed my VPN and registered a new Google Account (UK location). I know exactly what the problem is: the Samsung Watch 4 needs Location Permission for the first setup otherwise you cannot install your watch. So I think the solution is to install the watch (one time only) when you are in a wearable supported country.

lyc1984

Oct 13, 2021
Hmm, I think I had the same issue at some point, but I thought it's something specific to my setup. Try the following:
1) Delete Google pay from the watch. Reboot the watch.
2) Sideload it again, but do not open it yet.
3) Turn wifi and gps off on the watch. Turn off the watch.
4) VPN on your phone to a country where Google Pay is supported on the watch (I used UK).
5) Turn on the watch and then start Google Pay on the watch while wifi and location are off, and VPN is active on the phone. It should finish installaling properly and appear in the NFC menu (might need another reboot if it does not). You can then disable the VPN and go make a payment in a store to prevent the app from getting disabled.
Could be possible..
maybe this version of apk still has regioanl limit, and has to be blocked.

gyrga

Apr 1, 2011
I've been using the version I've shared in my previous posts in this thread for more than a month - works perfectly. Google pay has dissappeared from the NFC menu at some point, but it does not really affect anything.

onderduiker

Nov 26, 2007
Is this solution still working for you ?
For weeks it works flawless. Then suddenly it stopped working and asking my for a pincode.
I wiped the card from my phone and set it up again. That did it for a while and then the same thing again.
I tried to install again but still no luck.
The app doesn't disappear but reinstall or install the card again keeps asking for a pincode by the payterminal.

If anyone can confirm it still works, I consider to do a factory reset.

xaaru

Jul 24, 2011
Limassol
(updated Sept 5 to include some VPN steps that were missing)

After a lot of attempts with a varying degree of success, I think I've finally managed to make it work in an unsupported country (I am in the Netherlands, but I think this method will work for any region). The Google Pay has been on my watch for more than 24 hrs without disappearing, and I also was able to pay with the watch!

Here are the steps to get it working:
  • Not sure if this is actually needed, but I’ve reset my watch to UK region instead of NL first. I think this is not necessary, but I am not resetting my watch again to try it 😊
  • Sideload this version of Google Pay to your watch: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/googl...wear-os-2-135-389276953-android-apk-download/. You’ll need to enable developer mode on your watch (Settings => About watch => Software => tap multiple times on "Software version") and “adb debugging” + “Debug over wifi” in the developer options. Then sideload the gpay app through adb or an app like Bugjaeger. DO NOT OPEN THE APP ON THE WATCH YET!!!
  • Turn wifi and gps off on the watch. Turn off the watch.
  • VPN on your phone to a country where Google Pay is supported on the watch (I used UK).
  • Turn on the watch and then start Google Pay on the watch while wifi and location are off, and VPN is active on the phone. It should finish installing properly and appear in the NFC menu (might need another reboot if it does not). You can then disable the VPN on your phone.
  • Add your card to Google Pay on the watch. Any card will work so long as a) it has a regular 16-digit number (so IBAN cards, unfortunately, won’t work) and b) comes from a country where Google Pay is supported on phones (for example, in the Netherlands Google Pay is not officially available on wearables, but since the phone version works fine, you can still add a Dutch card on the watch with this method).
  • Now, the most important part: after some time (in my experiments it was anywhere between 5 minutes and 5 hours), the Google Pay app will get disabled and disappear from the watch. You might be able to re-enable it from your phone’s Galaxy Wearables app (list of apps => app info => Google Pay), but it soon gets disabled again for good and it’s not possible to re-enable it again through the app, so you’ll have to uninstall it from the watch and then sideload it again. The solution is to pay with the watch in a store before Google Pay gets disabled: it seems that after the first payment some Google Pay and/or system settings are updated, so the app won’t get disabled anymore!
Important: if you have a non-regular card added to your phone’s Google Pay (for example, IBAN card in the Netherlands), then Google Pay on the watch will give you an error "Something went wrong, please try again" after trying to get your cards during step #2. You can try to remove this card from Google Pay on your phone, which would allow you to proceed with steps #2 and #3 on the watch. However, after this on my phone I got an error “Couldn’t finish setup to pay in stores. This phone can’t be used to pay in stores. This may be because it is rooted or altered in some other way”. I am not sure what exactly is broken here, but a solution for Samsung phones is:
  • Flash a different region firmware with Odin using HOME_CSC to keep all the info intact. I think it does not matter which region you choose as long as it supports Google Pay. I’ve randomly chosen a Vietnam one.
  • This seems to fix Google Pay on the phone and now you should be able to add your card back without any errors. Perhaps there is an easier way to fix Google Pay without reflashing, but nothing else worked for me.
  • Flash your original region firmware with Odin (and again use HOME_CSC or you’ll lose your data!). Now you should have fully working Google Pay both on the watch and the phone. Your IBAN card will be working only on the phone, though.
Thank you - it seems working for me!!!
one question - did you update GPay app from store after this initial setup? is it safe to do?

P.S. i did all by instruction, did payment in 5 min after adding GPay to phone, but in 6h GPay app was frozen

did everything once again...

Last edited:

marcochapita

Aug 24, 2010
Lisboa
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Hello, Im Portuguese as @RedbPT ,i have a Watch4 Classic LTE, was bought on Samsung in Portugal but came with CSC from Spain "PHE" and the Samsung pay is associated to Spain(Portugal dont have Samsung Pay), the only card i can put on Samsung pay is a Binance Card but i dont want to pay with cripto.

So Google Pay is available in Portugal, but like @RedbPT said the option of Selection GPay under the menu "NFC-Payments" dont show GPAY, and i cannot put it as default payment method.
Now GPay doesnt even open on my watch because it ask me to define Gpay as default payment.
Very strange right ?
Happen to anyone else? Can i do something?
is a shame having an LTE watch that is so limited.

marcochapita

Aug 24, 2010
Lisboa
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Photos to show what a mean
20211206_170920.jpg

marcochapita

Aug 24, 2010
Lisboa
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
My problem is a little different but i never had any problems until yesterday.
My google pay since yesterday, i had to format the watch(To test Something),
and after i configure all things on the watch.
Google pay wont add my Curve Card to the watch. Says that the Curve Card is already added.
But its not, i even removed the card from all places, and still it doesnt let me add the card to GPay on The watch, but i can add without anyproblems to GPLAY on the phone.

vikiyoggi2

Jul 14, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Thank you - it seems working for me!!!
one question - did you update GPay app from store after this initial setup? is it safe to do?

P.S. i did all by instruction, did payment in 5 min after adding GPay to phone, but in 6h GPay app was frozen

did everything once again...
Tried this solution recently and it was a failure.gpay disappears even before adding up the card.Seems like there is no proper final solutions yet..

xjust

Apr 5, 2014
i added google pay from the playstore, its available in uk (where the watch comes from),
added the card in google pay (Romania)
no default option to select google pay on the watch. anybody figured this out yet?
i upgraded to gw4 just to be able to pay with it

thanks

Brolly916

Apr 3, 2009
for some reason i have followed these steps, and managed to side load googlepay however when shuting down and turning back on my watch 4 the google pay application will vance from the apps menu.. any one can help me please ?

from the wear application on my phone it is still showing that google pay is still installed on my watch

ekerbuddyeker

My issue is different. I am in a country that has Google pay, and had it working on my gw4. Then had to reset my watch, and now even though I can install Google pay and add the card successfully, it gets stuck asking to set Google pay as the default to make payments, but it doesn't come up as a payment option. So it did work. Now it doesn't work. Driving me crazy ...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    (updated Sept 5 to include some VPN steps that were missing)

After a lot of attempts with a varying degree of success, I think I've finally managed to make it work in an unsupported country (I am in the Netherlands, but I think this method will work for any region). The Google Pay has been on my watch for more than 24 hrs without disappearing, and I also was able to pay with the watch!

Here are the steps to get it working:
    • Not sure if this is actually needed, but I’ve reset my watch to UK region instead of NL first. I think this is not necessary, but I am not resetting my watch again to try it 😊
    • Sideload this version of Google Pay to your watch: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/googl...wear-os-2-135-389276953-android-apk-download/. You’ll need to enable developer mode on your watch (Settings => About watch => Software => tap multiple times on "Software version") and “adb debugging” + “Debug over wifi” in the developer options. Then sideload the gpay app through adb or an app like Bugjaeger. DO NOT OPEN THE APP ON THE WATCH YET!!!
    • Turn wifi and gps off on the watch. Turn off the watch.
    • VPN on your phone to a country where Google Pay is supported on the watch (I used UK).
    • Turn on the watch and then start Google Pay on the watch while wifi and location are off, and VPN is active on the phone. It should finish installing properly and appear in the NFC menu (might need another reboot if it does not). You can then disable the VPN on your phone.
    • Add your card to Google Pay on the watch. Any card will work so long as a) it has a regular 16-digit number (so IBAN cards, unfortunately, won’t work) and b) comes from a country where Google Pay is supported on phones (for example, in the Netherlands Google Pay is not officially available on wearables, but since the phone version works fine, you can still add a Dutch card on the watch with this method).
    • Now, the most important part: after some time (in my experiments it was anywhere between 5 minutes and 5 hours), the Google Pay app will get disabled and disappear from the watch. You might be able to re-enable it from your phone’s Galaxy Wearables app (list of apps => app info => Google Pay), but it soon gets disabled again for good and it’s not possible to re-enable it again through the app, so you’ll have to uninstall it from the watch and then sideload it again. The solution is to pay with the watch in a store before Google Pay gets disabled: it seems that after the first payment some Google Pay and/or system settings are updated, so the app won’t get disabled anymore!
    Important: if you have a non-regular card added to your phone’s Google Pay (for example, IBAN card in the Netherlands), then Google Pay on the watch will give you an error "Something went wrong, please try again" after trying to get your cards during step #2. You can try to remove this card from Google Pay on your phone, which would allow you to proceed with steps #2 and #3 on the watch. However, after this on my phone I got an error “Couldn’t finish setup to pay in stores. This phone can’t be used to pay in stores. This may be because it is rooted or altered in some other way”. I am not sure what exactly is broken here, but a solution for Samsung phones is:
    • Flash a different region firmware with Odin using HOME_CSC to keep all the info intact. I think it does not matter which region you choose as long as it supports Google Pay. I’ve randomly chosen a Vietnam one.
    • This seems to fix Google Pay on the phone and now you should be able to add your card back without any errors. Perhaps there is an easier way to fix Google Pay without reflashing, but nothing else worked for me.
    • Flash your original region firmware with Odin (and again use HOME_CSC or you’ll lose your data!). Now you should have fully working Google Pay both on the watch and the phone. Your IBAN card will be working only on the phone, though.
    Hmm, I think I had the same issue at some point, but I thought it's something specific to my setup. Try the following:
    1) Delete Google pay from the watch. Reboot the watch.
    2) Sideload it again, but do not open it yet.
    3) Turn wifi and gps off on the watch. Turn off the watch.
    4) VPN on your phone to a country where Google Pay is supported on the watch (I used UK).
    5) Turn on the watch and then start Google Pay on the watch while wifi and location are off, and VPN is active on the phone. It should finish installaling properly and appear in the NFC menu (might need another reboot if it does not). You can then disable the VPN and go make a payment in a store to prevent the app from getting disabled.
    This was it! I was able to pay with the Watch, although i forgot to turn off the VPN while making payment. I've turned it off now, tomorrow i'll update on wether the app stayed on the Watch or not!
    Thanks for your guidance mate!

Edit: the app got disabled again. It lasted for 16h, but right now its disabled and it wont let me enable it. @gyrga , is it still avaliable to you?
    I tried sideloading the GPay app to the Watch via ADB and its working!
    I'm from Portugal and it let me add my Revolut card with no issues.
    I've not tried to pay with it yet but at least GPay is opening and showing the card.
    I'll update tomorrow when i try.
    Thanks for the great news!
    I might have jumped the gun on this one. After a few hours the Watch disables GPay, and its has to be enabled again via Samsung Wearable. When this happens I can no longer select GPay as a payment method in NFC settings. I'll keep investigating, but it seems its not a permanent solution...
    I might have jumped the gun on this one. After a few hours the Watch disables GPay, and its has to be enabled again via Samsung Wearable. When this happens I can no longer select GPay as a payment method in NFC settings. I'll keep investigating, but it seems its not a permanent solution...
    In case if you will find any working solution fo fix this, please share it!