Google Photos, backup while charging missing

Search This thread

saywhat4118

May 12, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Hey guys. I have been using Google photos since its inception and the feature "backup only when charging" has always been available. just got my HTC U11 and while setting up my phone, I noticed the said feature is not in Google photos. This is with the latest update. Can y'all check and see if it's the same for y'all? Could it be just my phone? Thanks. Screenshot_20170614-183602.png

Edit: After doing some research on it, I have found out Google has pulled this feature. It's really stupid for them to do that. I commented on their Google photos forum and gave feed backs. I recommend you guys do the same so this gets the proper attention and Google fixes it.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2010
I'm missing this option on my Nexus 6p with Pure Nexus, so I'm not sure it's a problem specifically with the HTC U11 or whatever (I found this with a google search.) Always had it including a few days ago. Did a full wipe/reinstall today and the option is gone. Version 2.17.0.159033354.

saywhat4118

May 12, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I'm missing this option on my Nexus 6p with Pure Nexus, so I'm not sure it's a problem specifically with the HTC U11 or whatever (I found this with a google search.) Always had it including a few days ago. Did a full wipe/reinstall today and the option is gone. Version 2.17.0.159033354.
Man isn't that strange? I'm about to swap to the Sony XZ premium so we'll see if it's there. Thanks for the update

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

mikexilva

Dec 8, 2009

Mee too, Nexus 6P running latest stock Android O beta with latest Google Photos 2.17.0.159033354 and lost the option to backup only when charging, and my 6P already has a terrible battery life, and in the last week Google Photos also keeps saying "getting ready to back up" with some photos left, I think its backing up all new photos but it keeps searching for something sayng that it's still getting ready to backup... BTW I had a Google Photos app update a few days ago but didn't correct any of these problems that started to show up about 1 week ago.

Last edited:

saywhat4118

May 12, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Google has pulled this feature. It's really stupid for them to do that. I commented on their Google photos forum and gave feed backs. I recommend you guys do the same so this gets the proper attention and Google fixes it.

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nicole

Nicole

Feb 19, 2015
Does anyone, using Tasker, no root, has any script for this... I really need this feature... ?

Thank you in advance!

Skickat från min D5803 via Tapatalk

daniel2744

May 8, 2010
CA, USA
i have the latest version Google Photos 2.17.0.159033354 and i still have the option to backup while charging. this is so weird. idk whats going on here

m52 power!

Mar 6, 2008
I still can't believe this option was removed and not added back. This is soo stupid, I delete a lot of photos I do not want throughout the day so at the end of the day it syncs only the good stuff.

Can anyone confirm the last version of the APK that had it? I'd like to force install it and turn auto update off...

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 AM ----------

Update, did some experimenting and 2.17.0.158898286 is the last version with the option! Simply uninstall all Google Photos updates which revert back to the factory version.

Open the factory version once and go to the backup options.

Now close the app and download your APK version here: http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/photos/photos-2-17-0-158898286-release/

Install it
Turn while charging only on and smile
Disable updates via play store

Take that Google a holes...

Last edited:
Reactions: MrBelter and Nicole

MrBelter

Apr 10, 2011
I still can't believe this option was removed and not added back. This is soo stupid, I delete a lot of photos I do not want throughout the day so at the end of the day it syncs only the good stuff.

Can anyone confirm the last version of the APK that had it? I'd like to force install it and turn auto update off...

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 AM ----------

Update, did some experimenting and 2.17.0.158898286 is the last version with the option! Simply uninstall all Google Photos updates and download your APK version here: http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/photos/photos-2-17-0-158898286-release/

Install it

I did that in the quote but basically just rolled back to the factory installed version (Moto G5 Plus) and got the on charge option back, however i slipped up and installed the latest version of Google Photos but the upload on charge option is still available so i dont know if it is a bit of a glitch that will vanish again at some point or if Google have been listening and the option has come back.

MrWilsonxD

May 1, 2016
I did that in the quote but basically just rolled back to the factory installed version (Moto G5 Plus) and got the on charge option back, however i slipped up and installed the latest version of Google Photos but the upload on charge option is still available so i dont know if it is a bit of a glitch that will vanish again at some point or if Google have been listening and the option has come back.
Is it still available to you? o_O

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Update, did some experimenting and 2.17.0.158898286 is the last version with the option! Simply uninstall all Google Photos updates which revert back to the factory version.

Open the factory version once and go to the backup options.

Now close the app and download your APK version here: http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/photos/photos-2-17-0-158898286-release/

Install it

Google has pulled this feature. It's really stupid for them to do that. I commented on their Google photos forum and gave feed backs. I recommend you guys do the same so this gets the proper attention and Google fixes it.

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk