General Google Pixel 6 January 2022 Update - Finally!

Search This thread

velqn

Nov 15, 2007
So January update is here!

The wait is over! You might have heard about all the controversy that Google Pixel`s December update sparked, dropped phone calls, bad reception, tons of issues fixed and another tons of new issues introduced.

Well, the wait is over - Google promised to deliver a fix to the fix and here it is the Google Pixel 6 and 6 Pro January update!

Let`s see how well they did!

How does it work for you? Telephony fixed, i.e. call reception, call handover and etc?

Sadly I live in a "none Pixel supported" country, so no support from the operators resulting into no 5G, no Carrier Aggregation, even no LTE+ (only LTE) and sadly no VoLTE and VoWiFi.

ChongoDroid

Jul 29, 2010
Vancouver
Google Pixel 4
Google Pixel 4 XL
Glad this update smoothed things out, coming from the s20 it definitely felt a lot less smooth but 90hz on the pixel 4 felt very close to s20 in terms of smoothness.

Now with January we're back to on par with pixel 4 in smoothness.

I never had any signal issues so can't speak on that.

Reactions: velqn

velqn

Nov 15, 2007
Me neither but I did not travel that much since I got it... else the January update is really really really smooth it just makes me crazy that my S21 Ultra ... is so far behind - it`s buttery smooth as well but occasional stutters just ruin the experience.

I really like the Pixel 6 and hope that Google can fix it - some of my friends that travel complained from phone calls dropping, seems that it can not handover from cell to cell when you are driving on a highway and etc...

I live in a none pixel supported country, so no support from operators, no VoLTE, no VoWiFi, no 5g and even 4G+ its kinda of sad.

derausgewanderte

Aug 9, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I don't know if it's due to the Jan update or me disabling 2G on my phone. I have 5G at my home with mid to full signal. I've never had that before, not even a 5G signal to begin with. Only when I drove away from home, I'd get some 5G.

also, my fingerprint reader stayed the same. It might have gotten worse since it's getting really cold/dry here. So bad that I just took off my screen protector and going naked for now.

cheers

Captain Kangaroo

Aug 4, 2018
Paris
Have 2 carriers on my P6 - "FREE MOBILE" works 4/5g with hard SIM card & "SFR France" works 4/5g and VoWifi with eSIM.

Before Jan. updt, had almost generic issues with FREE Mobile on receipt and sometime on call, no issues noticed on SFR on both ways.
After Jan. updt looks OK !!!! So far so good :)

@derausgewanderte I have also disabled 2G but didn't noticed effect

Pollie81

Mar 8, 2012
Google Pixel 6
Funny, while everybody talked about the December update issues i didn't have any issues with it.
Now with the January update I'm having random reboots.. 😟
My phone is stock without any modifications, i think I'm going to do a factory reset this weekend and hopefully it will be fixed.

RoccoN4

May 28, 2013
Toronto Ontario
Samsung Galaxy S22
I'm with you. Have had zero issues until the January update. Freezes. Battery has been bad. YouTube is killing my battery. I don't use it. Have background data off. Battery to restricted. Force stop. Cleared cache/data and it is always the top of the battery consumption.

neptun2

Jul 25, 2009
Looking at this thread in the community forums it looks like for some people there are problems even after january update.

It is interesting that there are people who had the problem and january update did not fix these, people which started having problems after january update and people whose problems were fixed after january update. Go figure what exactly google are doing with the modem but obviously it needs more work. I personally never got the december update and did not have any problems with november one. Now after january update i am also ok but on LTE only as 5G is locked in my country. I also have turned off adaptive connectivity and do not have volte or vowifi enabled (again locked in my country).

manjaroid

Jun 25, 2019
My Pixel 6 is fresh off the truck and the January update was job one, so I can't compare to earlier problems. 4G and 5G seem fine. The fingerprint reader is definitely half-baked. I managed to get one thumb enrolled after many tries. It's letting me in though, and that's what matters. Battery life seems good, not 5a good but good enough.

lodger0

Jan 25, 2022
Can anybody else pay for something on there phone without unlocking, I only need to wake phone up and i can pay. no pin number or finger print required....

DNAblue2112

Oct 14, 2015
OnePlus 5T
Google Pixel 6
Can anybody else pay for something on there phone without unlocking, I only need to wake phone up and i can pay. no pin number or finger print required....
In my experience it only lets me make a purchase under $100 without unlocking the phone. Otherwise it asks for the pin on the payment terminal. If the phone is unlocked, I can spent as much as I want without a pin on the card terminal. And this is how it's been for me the entire time I've used google pay, for about 2 years

lodger0

Jan 25, 2022
In my experience it only lets me make a purchase under $100 without unlocking the phone. Otherwise it asks for the pin on the payment terminal. If the phone is unlocked, I can spent as much as I want without a pin on the card terminal. And this is how it's been for me the entire time I've used google pay, for about 2 years
I had to unlock my pixel 4 before i could pay.

goralpm

May 4, 2009
Compass is rubbish in Google Pixel 6. I compare compass from Huawei P30 even Sony Xperia ZX Premium.
They very stable and show same direction. But Pixel 6 is like lottery, not stable, changing direction.
Is my phone faulty?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Have 2 carriers on my P6 - "FREE MOBILE" works 4/5g with hard SIM card & "SFR France" works 4/5g and VoWifi with eSIM.

Before Jan. updt, had almost generic issues with FREE Mobile on receipt and sometime on call, no issues noticed on SFR on both ways.
    After Jan. updt looks OK !!!! So far so good :)

@derausgewanderte I have also disabled 2G but didn't noticed effect
    Glad this update smoothed things out, coming from the s20 it definitely felt a lot less smooth but 90hz on the pixel 4 felt very close to s20 in terms of smoothness.

Now with January we're back to on par with pixel 4 in smoothness.

I never had any signal issues so can't speak on that.
    All signal issues fixed for me! USA on Verizon.
    All signal issues fixed for me! USA on Verizon.
    For me too, T-Mobile in Germany.
    Fingerprint reader works better after update.