Search This thread

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
For the regular Pixel 6, I've already broken 2 protectors. Usually just minor chips along the edge that spread.

At least T-Mobile will reinstall for free with my protection plan when I don't feel like buying protectors in bulk to do it myself.

I've never cracked or stress fractured an actual screen even when I've tried. Cases and protectors do their job when used properly.

HokansonInSandy

Dec 29, 2021
You clearly have a screen protector on that phone that is peeling up/cracked. I'm guessing the real screen under it is perfectly fine. Try again.
Yes there is a film screen protector on the screen. I don't like them, but it was the only thing available when I got the phone in November. It was applied properly. The screen cracked underneath the film. I have left the film on because it is holding the screen together and allows the phone to still be used. Once again neither the film protector or the OtterBox show any sign of physical abuse. And I stand by my claim that it was not dropped. My theory is that the phone chassis is not sufficiently rigid allowing the phone to flex which in turn cracks the glass. How else would you explain cracks while the phone is in a pocket when Corning touts the glass as able to withstand a 2m drop. If you look at the cracks in my photos and many of the others that owners have submitted you see the same pattern - a tiny shattering at the corner and hairline cracks running diagonal. The diagonal cracking makes me think the phone flexed. Getting a big phone out of pocket will cause some torque and pressure. I'm not saying that a phone dropped on a corner couldn't cause the same pattern, but if this was just caused by standard dropping/abuse, I would expect to see more examples of many breakage patterns with damage originating in different locations.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

shiftr182

Oct 5, 2010
Boise
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 6
Yes there is a film screen protector on the screen. I don't like them, but it was the only thing available when I got the phone in November. It was applied properly. The screen cracked underneath the film. I have left the film on because it is holding the screen together and allows the phone to still be used. Once again neither the film protector or the OtterBox show any sign of physical abuse. And I stand by my claim that it was not dropped. My theory is that the phone chassis is not sufficiently rigid allowing the phone to flex which in turn cracks the glass. How else would you explain cracks while the phone is in a pocket when Corning touts the glass as able to withstand a 2m drop. If you look at the cracks in my photos and many of the others that owners have submitted you see the same pattern - a tiny shattering at the corner and hairline cracks running diagonal. The diagonal cracking makes me think the phone flexed. Getting a big phone out of pocket will cause some torque and pressure. I'm not saying that a phone dropped on a corner couldn't cause the same pattern, but if this was just caused by standard dropping/abuse, I would expect to see more examples of many breakage patterns with damage originating in different locations.
Not to discredit you, but the bend test Jerryrigeverything did does not show any apparent weakness in the chassis. You can see it here (around 4:58)

I don't know if there are just some bad batches out there or what. I have seen posts on reddit of people that had the phone for only a couple days and wake up with a "random crack" across the screen. Part of me thought that it might be Gorilla Glass Victus, but there aren't very many reports of broken glass with other phones that use it.

Last edited:

skimminstones

Feb 7, 2010
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Used to manage a mobile phone shop a few years ago and it was amazingly coincidental that every Monday we would get people coming in with their phones that the screen has cracked for no reason.

Obviously it had nothing to do with people being out on the weekend and having a few drinks before dropping their phone, no it was clearly always a manufacturing fault.

CaptainStuhl

Jan 10, 2022
Used to manage a mobile phone shop a few years ago and it was amazingly coincidental that every Monday we would get people coming in with their phones that the screen has cracked for no reason.

Obviously it had nothing to do with people being out on the weekend and having a few drinks before dropping their phone, no it was clearly always a manufacturing fault.

Have you taken the time to do some proper research on how many people actually report cracked screens on the Pixel 6? If it was peoples fault, you would see the same amount of reports on any other smartphone! But its absolutely unique to the Pixel 6 & 6 pro.
EVEN IF the Pixel 6 was manufactured properly (which for sure is not the case) -come on.., tons of advertisement on how indestructable Gorilla Glass Victus is supposed to be and then it breaks on people after a few days.
And the last thing I will ever understand is why people even defend companies like Google. {Mod edit}

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: DanielF50

Matterhorn

Nov 29, 2004
The new gorilla glass is really tough. I haven't used a screen protector in a long time. I don't put sharp metal objects in my pocket with the phone.

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
Have you taken the time to do some proper research on how many people actually report cracked screens on the Pixel 6? If it was peoples fault, you would see the same amount of reports on any other smartphone! But its absolutely unique to the Pixel 6 & 6 pro.
EVEN IF the Pixel 6 was manufactured properly (which for sure is not the case) -come on.., tons of advertisement on how indestructable Gorilla Glass Victus is supposed to be and then it breaks on people after a few days.
And the last thing I will ever understand is why people even defend companies like Google.

Nothing is indestructible and everything that is made will be broken by people.

Reactions: randylahey786

skimminstones

Feb 7, 2010
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
And the last thing I will ever understand is why people even defend companies like Google. {Mod edit}
No i havent, im not that petty frankly and happy to just enjoy my gadget.

Dragon Kumera

Mar 14, 2019
Those look all dropped.

Use nano liquid screen protector.

I dropped my phone by accident and from sink to glass solid scale and no damage at all. Though I do have a case that covers over the screen to though it kinda opened on the fall.

I am using pixel 6 pro 512gb if anyone was wondering

Last edited:
Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

vwood2121

May 21, 2008
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I know a lot of think all of these cracks are BS It happened to mine 2 days ago. I had just answered a text from my wife. So I know the screen was perfectly fine I put it into my sweatpants pocket while I was sitting on the couch 3 minutes later I pulled it out to reply to another text and there was a crack from the top left of the screen all the way to the bottom right. My Pixel 6 pro has never been dropped and been in a case with a zagg screen protector since I took it out of the box. I do have a picture before I took it to uBreakiFix because I'm going to send it to Google It will not let upload it here because it's saying the file is too large

Last edited:

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
I know a lot of think all of these cracks are BS It happened to mine 2 days ago. I had just answered a text from my wife. So I know the screen was perfectly fine I put it into my sweatpants pocket while I was sitting on the couch 3 minutes later I pulled it out to reply to another text and there was a crack from the top left of the screen all the way to the bottom right. My Pixel 6 pro has never been dropped and been in a case with a zagg screen protector since I took it out of the box. I do have a picture before I took it to uBreakiFix because I'm going to send it to Google It will not let upload it here because it's saying the file is too large
Oh crap. Sorry to hear that.

Scottay5150

Jan 3, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
LOL, the same concept in the cycling repair community. I was just riding along...

Those cracks are from an impact. No phone manufacturer should be responsible for user error.

xxxxx
Mod Edit: Message edited.

janehull

Jul 2, 2015
Was shooting 4K video. Camera stopped working at 21 mins and notification said it was too hot. Had been holding it by the edge. When I touched the back and screen it was unbelievably hot.
Set it to hi def and cooled it off with spit and removed case.
It finished the show.
Next day shot the same show, case off, and hi def. It got hot but didn't **** down.
Friend with P6P was recording as well. His phone didn't heat appreciably and was in a a Spigen case the whole time.
We both noticed screen cracks after the event. We each have 2 cracks. One on the upper left, curved, half inch from the edge slight curve towards 4 o'clock. The other 3/4 in from upper right corner away from sides similar size and shape but heading towards 7 o'clock.
Corners intact. Never dropped. Never been colder than 60F never hotter than 74F.
Not user error
Not dropped.
Not everyone lies just b/c someone thinks other people have. Odd that it happened to two phones at the same time.
Other similarity buth Spigen cases though different models.
At least I learned not to call Google yet.
FWIW, this phone lives, alone, in my left hand pocket in double knit, loose pants. No purse. No back pocket. No jeans

wugga3

Oct 15, 2014
Ontario
OnePlus 7T
Pretty sure that those corner cracks are deliberate/drop damage. Many people that destroy their phone want a free new one, so they claim a "defect".

Of course it's entirely possible that some cases here are indeed caused by a defect - Phones these days are crammed to the top with stuff and since materials expand/decrease in size when they get colder/hotter, some cracks/damages might be caused even without user interaction - but it's hard to differentiate and find out the freeloaders that lie.

I did a bit of research on the topic and it seems that if tempered glass "randomly" explodes/cracks, usually the entire glass gets damaged/breaks, as you can see here.

I tried to find some genuine people on reddit that suffered these random glass going kaput problems, and the ones I found confirm my assumption

https://www.reddit.com/r/gadgets/comments/2mpyfv
Pictures of Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra users that reported the camera glass shattering also experienced these "grand scale" breaks because of a weakpoint.

Examples

156380i00DA05D2F5314579

samsunggalaxys20ultraglasscrack.jpg

So I'd say these two phones here linked in this thread are probably fakenews, but then again I am not an expert and their stories might be genuine.
I'm no ballistics expert but that looks shot to me!!!

Reactions: Alekos

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    fake news. you can tell they dropped their phones hence why the pictures are showing cracks on the corners
    For those who think screens don't just crack, they do.My screen cracked and was never dropped. And it has been in an OtterBox since day 3 (early November). From the pics you can see the corner of the so called "drop" somehow didn't manage to even scratch or mark up the OtterBox. Google has a problem - either there is a manufacturing defect in the brand new Corning Gorilla Victus glass, a seating problem with the glass on the phone, or the phone is not sufficiently rigid allowing the face to flex - all of which is a manufacturing or design defect and should be covered under warranty. I'm not trying to "cheat" to cover up my mistake. I have the means to fix it - I just shouldn't have to.
    You clearly have a screen protector on that phone that is peeling up/cracked. I'm guessing the real screen under it is perfectly fine. Try again.
    fake news. you can tell they dropped their phones hence why the pictures are showing cracks on the corners
    For those who think screens don't just crack, they do.My screen cracked and was never dropped. And it has been in an OtterBox since day 3 (early November). From the pics you can see the corner of the so called "drop" somehow didn't manage to even scratch or mark up the OtterBox. Google has a problem - either there is a manufacturing defect in the brand new Corning Gorilla Victus glass, a seating problem with the glass on the phone, or the phone is not sufficiently rigid allowing the face to flex - all of which is a manufacturing or design defect and should be covered under warranty. I'm not trying to "cheat" to cover up my mistake. I have the means to fix it - I just shouldn't have to.

That is a badly applied screen protector, no wonder that screen protector cracked.

Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro owners are reporting "spontaneous" screen cracks​

BY SCOTT SCRIVENS

message-141783058-1950794926484896906.jpg

IMG-20211129-WA0000.jpg

1640179477609.png

message-141476541-14257129672718798860.jpg

Another reported example (Source)

message-141794205-16510693040948238291.jpg

message-141794205-16510693040948240146.jpg

A cracking phone in more ways than one​

In an ideal world, expensive tech products would all be perfect right out of the gate and we'd never have to report on any issues. Sadly, that's not the world we live in, and every device will have the odd problem. Google's Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro are no stranger to this — the latest unfortunate defect relates to the display. Several owners have reported cracks appearing on the front glass of their new Google phones, and they're at a loss when it comes to explaining why.

Numerous bewildered Pixel owners have taken to Reddit and Google's support forum to express their displeasure, with reports stretching back a couple of months. The more expensive Pixel 6 Pro, with its curved glass screen, is at fault in the majority of cases, but the regular Pixel 6 is also implicated by some. Both phones are built using Gorilla Glass Victus front and back, which is said to be the toughest phone glass on the market. This hasn't stopped units from developing cracks, with most examples starting in the corners of the display or from one of the sides. Using a case or screen protector doesn't seem to make this any more or less likely to happen.

1640179606586.png

Examples taken by Pixel owners (Source)

Spontaneous screen cracks like this aren't uncommon in smartphones, and they usually stem from a small manufacturing defect that causes pressure to build up in the display glass that eventually gives in and splits. Dramatic changes in temperature can also be a cause. It's more likely that there was simply a bad batch of Pixels that went out with a particular hardware fault, rather than this being a problem that every phone might face. So there's little reason to worry if you own a Pixel 6 and this hasn't yet happened to you yet. If it has, you're sadly just very unlucky since it probably affects a minuscule percentage of all the Pixels out there.

1640179649782.png

Examples taken by Pixel owners (Source)

From reading the customer complaints, it doesn't appear that the company has yet acknowledged this as a manufacturing defect — instead, the company line appears to be that these display cracks are the fault of the owners and that it isn't an issue that will be covered by the warranty. "Screens don't just crack" was the Google response reported by one disgruntled customer. This means they are having to shell out for screen replacement repairs themselves. Some are also finding that carrier insurance claims will only replace the entire phone at additional cost rather than just the screen, which is understandably very frustrating.

According to some reports, Google has said it is actively investigating the issue, so we hope they'll provide more clarity for owners and potentially free replacements if it's confirmed that there's a manufacturing defect to blame. With this many reports, it seems unlikely that user error is at fault.

We've reached out to Google for comment and will add any statement we get to this post.