General Google Pixel 6 Pro

Search This thread

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
hSince I've only just recently really started using the app - since I was so inactive on XDA for several years, it's possible it's gotten slightly better. Of course, don't get your hopes up because it definitely still isn't as good as the old XDA app, and it's a downright PITA in several aspects. Occasionally when clicking one of my push notifications from the app, the app opens and immediately closes, or gets hung on opening, but both are easily solved and they generally only happen about 5-10% of the time, I guess. It serves my most basic wants for when a PC isn't convenient, but gods I wish it was a ton better.

I also know the decision to move away from the old forum software was a tough decision that had to be made, and I appreciate the sacrifices volunteers make to help out here, from the high-ups to those like us who just try to help people every day, so I try to temper my expectations.
Yep, definitely thumbs up here to the people keeping the boat afloat.

It's also nice to have you back. At least someone here that regularly appreciates my lengthy thoughts 😂

I think my biggest problem with the app isn't even the amount of bugs, but rather that the entire system just feels unintuitive. It just feels counterproductive, it takes longer than should be to find the threads that you're looking for. I'm not sure why they just didn't copy the design of the browser version.

That which is not broken, usually doesn't need fixing.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Yep, definitely thumbs up here to the people keeping the boat afloat.

It's also nice to have you back. At least someone here that regularly appreciates my lengthy thoughts 😂

I think my biggest problem with the app isn't even the amount of bugs, but rather that the entire system just feels unintuitive. It just feels counterproductive, it takes longer than should be to find the threads that you're looking for. I'm not sure why they just didn't copy the design of the browser version.

That which is not broken, usually doesn't need fixing.

I suspect that that app might've been a simple job of adapting a generic app that comes pre-packaged with the new forum software. Very little development work necessary. Total guess though.

The other option is they just haven't had the resources to dedicate to making it better.

We can always use the site in a web browser on the phone, although as always, that's probably not optimal either.

Note that I never quick charge any phone, and for the last 5+ years I've practiced the habit of charging the phone when it gets down to 25% and I only charge it up to 75%.

OK, similar to you, I came from Samsung but a Note 8 (still on Android 8) I used since release weekend over 4 years ago. Still love that phone but decided to finally upgrade to the P6P. I rarely ever fast charge a phone and what I love about my Note 8 is that I can choose to fast charge or never use that feature by turning off the switch in settings. There is no way to force a slow (normal) charge on the P6P, or at least there isn't on my Verizon version. I might add that I also similarly never fully charge or deplete my phone's battery either. I have an app to alert me when I get to 70% charged and 30% discharged.

How are you not fast charging your new P6P without the option to turn off that feature in settings?

Are you just using an old charger that doesn't output enough current for fast charging? For now, that's what I'm doing on my P6P but some of the chargers I have, do put out enough current for fast charging so not having the option to turn it off on the phone is throwing a proverbial wrench into my plans to never fast charge.

I guess another option would be to use Adaptive Charging that's supposed to get the phone to a full charge by the next alarm. Theoretically, that would make it not fast charge but I just tried it for a few minutes and it seems to fast charge, at least in the beginning of the charge cycle. It charged about a percent per minute which is too fast for my taste.

Last edited:

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
OK, similar to you, I came from Samsung but a Note 8 (still on Android 8) I used since release weekend over 4 years I have an app to alert me when I get to 70% charged and 30% discharged.

How are you not fast charging your new P6P without the option to turn off that feature in settings?

Are you just using an old charger that doesn't output enough current for fast charging? For now, that's what I'm doing on my P6P but some of the chargers I have, do put out enough current for fast charging so not having the option to turn it off on the phone is throwing a proverbial wrench into my plans to never fast charge.

I guess another option would be to use Adaptive Charging that's supposed to get the phone to a full charge by the next alarm. Theoretically, that would make it not fast charge but I just tried it for a few minutes and it seems to fast charge, at least in the beginning of the charge cycle. It charged about a percent per minute which is too fast for my taste.
Hello! Maybe Adaptive Charging still quick charges up to the 50% mark as I've read about the phone doing in general when quick charging. Someone may have mentioned it, or it may be in an article somewhere, but I haven't followed the quick charging and adaptive charging information as closely as I could since it doesn't affect me for my usage.

Yes, basically - I'm just using charging methods that don't supply much current. There are seven separate "chargers" I've used for the P6P so far, and I don't think any of them support quick charging - probably maximum 2.4 amps or possibly a maximum of 3.6A or 4.8A. For any phone that has come with a (quick) charging block in the last five years, I haven't used them or very rarely used them.
  • Either one of my two USB-C ports on my self-built desktop PC - one of them even using the actual USB-C cable that comes with the P6P
  • When I'm doing ADB/Fastboot from the living room, using my TV as a monitor, I have a USB 3.1 Gen 2 hub out there connected to my PC with a USB-A 3.1 Gen 2 extension cable, so technically I've charged my phone through an old HTC 10 USB-C cable (which supported a competing quick charge capability). I've never had any catastrophe with ADB/Fastboot this way, by the way.
  • My couch has a USB port on both ends of it, and I have a long reinforced USB-C cable hooked up on my end all the time
  • My car's built-in USB-A ports - I use Android Auto all the time as well
  • I have a surge protector under my side of the bed with two USB ports, and I have another long reinforced USB-C cable plugged into it - although I only charge from it while I'm still in bed reading or something (or lying in bed unable to sleep)
  • I have a thingee plugged into one of my outlets in the dining room that has places for 6 alternating current plugs plus 2x USB-A ports. I just usually grab my cable from the couch the very few times I've charged from there.
  • I have an Anker external battery. It has two charging ports - USB-A and USB-C. I believe the USB-C port supports some kind of quick charge, but I haven't used it. I have a very, very short USB-A -> USB-C cable plugged into the USB-A port on it that I've used. I should probably at least get a very short quick-charging capable USB-C <-> USB-C cable to include with my battery just in case I ever really could use it. I try to only buy really robust cables, though, and then I have a fairly low cutoff for what I'm willing to spend on them, so we'll see.
If/when I have to use my work laptop away from my home, I'd likely charge my phone from my work laptop in a pinch, but that should be very rare.

Maybe there'll be a root method to disable quick charging capability on the phone, which would be nice.

Reactions: srvctec
Hello! Maybe Adaptive Charging still quick charges up to the 50% mark as I've read about the phone doing in general when quick charging.

I'm not sure how it works since I tested the adaptive charging when my percentage was at 69%, thinking that it would take it a few minutes to get to 70% but within 2 minutes it was up to 71% which is about how fast it charges when fast charging since I have charged that way a few times.

Your charging methods sound about like mine but I sure wish I could force a slow charge since I'm most likely never rooting my phone even if that option becomes available via root.

Last edited:
Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

E30Nova

Oct 31, 2010
San Bernardino
😢

I just got my P6P in the mail yesterday.

I'm sad because I was told TMobile phones could be rooted, but I think the person that said that meant they had an unlocked phone on the TMobile network. 😑

My phone has the "oem unlocking" option grayed out and says it's not possible for carrier locked devices.

I guess I'm going to have to call TMobile and act sad and busy and say I travel a lot, lol.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
😢

I'm sad because I was told TMobile phones could be rooted, but I think the person that said that meant they had an unlocked phone on the TMobile network. 😑

My phone has the "oem unlocking" option grayed out and says it's not possible for carrier locked devices.

I guess I'm going to have to call TMobile and act sad and busy and say I travel a lot, lol.
Search the P6P section for "T-Mobile" and you'll find out how to bootloader unlock your device (all done proper, not really a hack). Many have reported success. Hint: you first have to SIM unlock the phone.

Edit: I see actually you mentioned the necessary method yourself. Yes, this is the only way to unlock the bootloader (and root) a T-Mobile variant of the P6 / P6P.

😢

you will need to pay the phone off, if you havent done so, in order for them to release it.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
you will need to pay the phone off, if you havent done so, in order for them to release it.
Not necessarily. A dozen folks, give or take, in this section have achieved OEM Unlocking and bootloader unlock and root by telling T-Mobile that they're traveling and need permanent SIM unlock, which (as an exception to the rule) allows them to toggle OEM Unlocking as well.

Not necessarily. A dozen folks, give or take, in this section have achieved OEM Unlocking and bootloader unlock and root by telling T-Mobile that they're traveling and need permanent SIM unlock, which (as an exception to the rule) allows them to toggle OEM Unlocking as well.
well then thats an exception and may or may not work for everyone. I dont find that to be a reliable solution. If you cant afford to pay the phone off in the first place, you probably dont really need a rooted phone.

Thanks for the fast response srvctec. I ordered a Pixel 6 Pro 256 GB today
S20 plus is a nice phone but I just cant get on board with Samsung's implementation of Android. I absolutely hate it.
Glad to help. Hope you like it; love my P6P 256GB. I came from a Note 8 (stuck on Android 8.0) for the last 4 years and had Notes since the Note 2, so I was used to Samsung's older implementation of Android, although I have no idea how it's changed in recent years.

Dragon Kumera

Mar 14, 2019
Glad to help. Hope you like it; love my P6P 256GB. I came from a Note 8 (stuck on Android 8.0) for the last 4 years and had Notes since the Note 2, so I was used to Samsung's older implementation of Android, although I have no idea how it's changed in recent years.

I got my pixel 6 pro 512gb from google store and am loving it! I upgraded from pixel xl gen 1.

I do own samsung tab s7+ 512gb and love it as it plays all my games, but they really hate your bootloader unlocking your own device, So google phones are the best place to actually own your device.

My wife and couldn't stand the Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ software. Hardware was great, but having come from the Pixel 1 where everything just worked like it should, it drove us nuts. The only thing that kept me from buying another Pixel a year and a half ago was that they didn't have a model with 512 GB of storage. We each got the Pixel 6 Pro (P6P) 512 GB model, have already sold our two Samsungs and I have no regrets.

I would have considered the non-Pro P6 if there was a 512 GB model available of it because I prefer flat screens, and the curved screen of the Pro (and my old Note 10+) make it much harder to find tempered glass screen protectors that work with the in-screen fingerprint reader.

Note, that we loved our old Samsung Galaxy S3s years ago, so although I had been hesitant to get the Note 10+ because of how well the Pixel 1 worked, I had no idea I would hate it as much as I did.
thats wierd, I loved my Note 10+ 5G. hard to swtich from it to the 6 Pro, but I did.

Hello! Maybe Adaptive Charging still quick charges up to the 50% mark as I've read about the phone doing in general when quick charging. Someone may have mentioned it, or it may be in an article somewhere, but I haven't followed the quick charging and adaptive charging information as closely as I could since it doesn't affect me for my usage.

Yes, basically - I'm just using charging methods that don't supply much current. There are seven separate "chargers" I've used for the P6P so far, and I don't think any of them support quick charging - probably maximum 2.4 amps or possibly a maximum of 3.6A or 4.8A. For any phone that has come with a (quick) charging block in the last five years, I haven't used them or very rarely used them.
  • Either one of my two USB-C ports on my self-built desktop PC - one of them even using the actual USB-C cable that comes with the P6P
  • When I'm doing ADB/Fastboot from the living room, using my TV as a monitor, I have a USB 3.1 Gen 2 hub out there connected to my PC with a USB-A 3.1 Gen 2 extension cable, so technically I've charged my phone through an old HTC 10 USB-C cable (which supported a competing quick charge capability). I've never had any catastrophe with ADB/Fastboot this way, by the way.
  • My couch has a USB port on both ends of it, and I have a long reinforced USB-C cable hooked up on my end all the time
  • My car's built-in USB-A ports - I use Android Auto all the time as well
  • I have a surge protector under my side of the bed with two USB ports, and I have another long reinforced USB-C cable plugged into it - although I only charge from it while I'm still in bed reading or something (or lying in bed unable to sleep)
  • I have a thingee plugged into one of my outlets in the dining room that has places for 6 alternating current plugs plus 2x USB-A ports. I just usually grab my cable from the couch the very few times I've charged from there.
  • I have an Anker external battery. It has two charging ports - USB-A and USB-C. I believe the USB-C port supports some kind of quick charge, but I haven't used it. I have a very, very short USB-A -> USB-C cable plugged into the USB-A port on it that I've used. I should probably at least get a very short quick-charging capable USB-C <-> USB-C cable to include with my battery just in case I ever really could use it. I try to only buy really robust cables, though, and then I have a fairly low cutoff for what I'm willing to spend on them, so we'll see.
If/when I have to use my work laptop away from my home, I'd likely charge my phone from my work laptop in a pinch, but that should be very rare.

Maybe there'll be a root method to disable quick charging capability on the phone, which would be nice.
When trying different chargers and cables to find charging speed, use the app called AMPERE, it will reveal all the questions about charging!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi. Is it worth switching from OnePlus 9Pro to Pixel 6Pro? OST on my 9Pro is garbage, i dont recive every notofication (no matter which settings), auto rotation is deactivated every restart, battery mangement is resettet very restart. etc. etc. etc.
    Indeed, agree with both of you.

Our site is optimized for mobile webviewing and that does allow you to filter by Development etc and is actually pretty usable and better in many ways than the App is currently. So setting some Mobile browser bookmarks can be a good way to go.

Mike
    Also, howdy Mike. Long time no see. Been a few years since I even posted on the forums.
    Careful, or the Pixel 6 Pro forum could end up turning into a cesspool!
    I meant like the typical sub forums, accessories, guides news discussion, themes apps mods, q & a, roms kernels recoveries, etc

Personally, I don't have a problem with the current organization where you can click on one of the filters to only look at Guides or Development, if you want to focus on one of them.

View attachment 5455599
    Yes the filters that you can click on are the way we do forums now. It is much less server intensive and allows pages to load much faster. The old style sub forums were really slowing down the site.

1636652363378.png

So yes, all you do is click on the Development tab to show all the Development threads or General to see only General etc.. it's the same effect really as having a development sub forum.

Mike