Question Google Play Services

Search This thread

jtlivio

Apr 5, 2020
Hi all

I found my Google Play Services run in background about 12 hours a day, this cause an huge battery drain. I tried some fixes but it's not helping. Never had problems with this in any brand or model.

Can someone point me to the right path?

Thanks
Joao

Reactions: roysterbrock35

neilth

On my S21U looking at a week’s battery usage, Google Play Services has used .7 to 1.4% per day with daily background usage varying between 11 and 23 hours. Active usage is consistently zero every day though. So I am not seeing any battery issues from Google Play Services. How does this compare with your daily Google Play Services battery usage history for the previous week?

jtlivio

Apr 5, 2020
Only disabling sync for accounts I can get more 8 to 10% battery, unfortunately. It's strange because as I said never had this problem before in any brand or model including Samsung.

arf8

Mar 30, 2014
Turn off Mobile background data and go to battery and turn off run in background. If you want to monitor what is going on there is a few tools you can use and some apps are better than others at honoring your selection but it can also cause problems for other apps that are in the background ie music/video players so keep that in mind. download pcapdroid and glasswire it will tell you a lot about what is running at what time of the day and where the data is being sent if you use wireshark to look at the pcap file. start with what i suggested with turning off the two options for each app after you observe the usage of the app and you will thank me later. My battery drain is minimal at idle, overnight it is 2% for a 12 hour period and most of that is email which i don't want optimised and allow to run in background

Sane12321

Feb 10, 2021
For me the option to turn off background usage is greyed out. Is there any way around this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210428-105351_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20210428-105351_Settings.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 73

arf8

Mar 30, 2014
For Google play services itself you can't but if you turn of everything else you will see major improvements. There are a few others you can't turn off but don't worry.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Just disable it. Enable when you need it.
Most times it's not needed at all.
Disable all cloud crap unless you use it.
Google Transport is a prime offender, disable it.
Turn off Google Firebase and all feedback including Samsung, carrier feedback if any.

Use Karma Firewall to block Android Services, Playstore and Google Play Services if disabling it isn't getting it
Karma Firewall uses almost no battery, no ads, a great clean app. Unfortunately it's logging feature doesn't work on high security Q/11.
Thanks for nothing Google...

arf8

Mar 30, 2014
If you disable google services you will find a lot of Google products stop working. I would not advise doing that. Plus you can only disable with Root or something like Adhell using Knox license.

If you use the tools i suggested you will see a significant battery life improvement without any adverse affects to the usability of your phone. Sure you can disable everything under the sun but some things are needed. I have about 137 apps/bloat disabled and phone runs perfect without any hiccups.

Also using a FW to block a service will not improve battery life per say and the FW itself uses battery and RAM along with system resources to operate. It also uses your VPN so if you need to truely use a VPN you give that option up, ie VPN based ad blockers. The requests will constantly occur from the app when it times out or it is blocked. You are better off disabling it if you don't want to live in the google echosystem or care if some apps work or not.

• Wow
Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
If you disable google services you will find a lot of Google products stop working. I would not advise doing that. Plus you can only disable with Root or something like Adhell using Knox license.

If you use the tools i suggested you will see a significant battery life improvement without any adverse affects to the usability of your phone. Sure you can disable everything under the sun but some things are needed. I have about 137 apps/bloat disabled and phone runs perfect without any hiccups.

Also using a FW to block a service will not improve battery life per say and the FW itself uses battery and RAM along with system resources to operate. It also uses your VPN so if you need to truely use a VPN you give that option up, ie VPN based ad blockers. The requests will constantly occur from the app when it times out or it is blocked. You are better off disabling it if you don't want to live in the google echosystem or care if some apps work or not.
Gmail, Playstore and Gmaps are the only useful Google apps. Google Play Services can easily be enabled as needed.
Otherwise it's a data sucking battery hog that needs a good kick in the head.
I've had it with Google's endless big sister bs.

And... Firewall blocking with Karma Firewall does improve battery life if you block the apks I mentioned.
For the last 12 hours this is how much battery Karma used...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210428-114736_Battery Tracker.jpg
    Screenshot_20210428-114736_Battery Tracker.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 69

arf8

Mar 30, 2014
GPS supports a lot more than just google products.

There is no free lunch you FW still consumes battery and you are not seeing the system resources utilized by the FW.

Not going to argue about this, do as you wish.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
GPS supports a lot more than just google products.

There is no free lunch you FW still consumes battery and you are not seeing the system resources utilized by the FW.

Not going to argue about this, do as you wish.
Try it, it's easy enough to undo if it's problematic.
Google Play Services was literally polling the internet 4 times every minute at idle. Unacceptable.

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
Hi all

I found my Google Play Services run in background about 12 hours a day, this cause an huge battery drain. I tried some fixes but it's not helping. Never had problems with this in any brand or model.

Thanks
Joao
You must have some bug or some special telemetry option turned ON somewhere.
Never seen this kind of behavior.

I wonder if anyone has ever analyzed what normal behavior is on an Android phone where the user turns off all telemetry options that they can.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
You must have some bug or some special telemetry option turned ON somewhere.
Never seen this kind of behavior.

I wonder if anyone has ever analyzed what normal behavior is on an Android phone where the user turns off all telemetry options that they can.
I did. Tried everything including disabling Firebase. Transport Services runs a lot even when toggle off. Finally package block it.
Disabling Google Play Services is the only thing that gets it on my N10+ (Pie).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all

Thanks
    Joao