Google Play Sore Error (-505) -- Lollipop

Search This thread

PMamba

Aug 21, 2012
After updating to Lollipop on my Nexus 5, it restored all of my apps except for about 10. One of them is a widget that I use everyday called Simple Calendar Widget by MYCOLORSCREEN. When trying to download the app, it gives me the message "Unknown error code during application install: -505". It seems to download fine, but the message pops up during the install process. Anybody know about this issue or experiencing the same thing if you try to download this application? I also tried downloading the apk file online but that also fails to install. I can't find any info regarding this issue. Thanks.

RoomTenONine

Aug 27, 2011
I had this issue on certain apps as well. The dev of those apps needed to change something for it to work on Lollipop.

nikon120

Oct 3, 2010
Do a search in this forum. I replied with the cause and solutions. Was posted last week.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

PMamba

Aug 21, 2012
Do a search in this forum. I replied with the cause and solutions. Was posted last week.

Code 505 is a permissions code. This typically means that the APK file already exists in your /data/app folder. You'll need to locate the APK files in question in the /data/app folder and remove them. You will need root to perform this action.
You came across this problem because you didn't do a wipe of your userdata partition when you jumped from Kitkat to Lollipop. I encountered the same issue because of that reason. I just ended up wiping and starting fresh as my phone hadn't been wiped since I got the device last November.

Are you sure? I flashed the factory image of Lollipop on my phone and it wiped everything. Afterwards, I had to also do a factory reset of my phone from the settings due to a storage issue. Why would that get left behind?

Edit: I checked (phone is rooted) and the app isn't in the /data/app folder

Last edited:
Reactions: hasnularif

nikon120

Oct 3, 2010
Are you sure? I flashed the factory image of Lollipop on my phone and it wiped everything. Afterwards, I had to also do a factory reset of my phone from the settings due to a storage issue. Why would that get left behind?

I spent an hour combing through Google group threads trying to get a real answer to this outstanding question. I was perplexed that only two applications of mine refused to install due to this error. The consensus was that the APK file was still there, or some remnants of data related to the application remained on the device that the Play Store service didn't like.

I ended up wiping my device twice:
  • Once by flashing both the userdata.img and cache.img files, which ended up giving me the storage issue bug on Lollipop. (Showing 16GB instead of 32GB)
  • Second by performing a factory reset from within the booted OS, which resolved the storage issue.

After that, everything was good to go. Have yet to encounter this error code again.

bailey boy

Apr 25, 2008
After updating to Lollipop on my Nexus 5, it restored all of my apps except for about 10. One of them is a widget that I use everyday called Simple Calendar Widget by MYCOLORSCREEN. When trying to download the app, it gives me the message "Unknown error code during application install: -505". It seems to download fine, but the message pops up during the install process. Anybody know about this issue or experiencing the same thing if you try to download this application? I also tried downloading the apk file online but that also fails to install. I can't find any info regarding this issue. Thanks.

I just had to click install again after the error and it worked for me. It was a PITA.

bleets

Nov 22, 2011
sigh, I've had this issue with terminal emulator
C:\>adb install Term.apk
3966 KB/s (515876 bytes in 0.127s)
pkg: /data/local/tmp/Term.apk
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_DUPLICATE_PERMISSION perm=jackpal.androidterm.permission
.PREPEND_TO_PATH pkg=com.jrummy.liberty.toolbox]

So yeah...duplicate permissions, in this case i had ROM Toolbox Lite installed which had the same permission sooooo it's one or the other at the moment

PMamba

Aug 21, 2012

So yeah...duplicate permissions, in this case i had ROM Toolbox Lite installed which had the same permission sooooo it's one or the other at the moment

Hm alright. Where does the apk file need to be in order to use the adb install command? I want to see which app is conflicting with.

Last edited:

bleets

Nov 22, 2011
Hm alright. Where does the apk file need to be in order to use the adb install command? I want to see which app is conflicting with.

as long as you have adb working it can be anywhere as long as you know the path
so adb install c:\path\to\file.apk
as it happens with terminal emulator i could download the apk seperately, with other apps i'd probably download on my tablet and pull it off that

Reactions: PMamba

PMamba

Aug 21, 2012
as it happens with terminal emulator i could download the apk seperately, with other apps i'd probably download on my tablet and pull it off that

Wow it looks like GTasks is conflicting. Without GTasks this app is useless. :crying:
Thanks though.

How I solved it

In bootloader mode I flash from the factory image userdata and cache, then I wipe Dalvik, data and cache in TWRP after the first boot I skip the setup just too full factory data reset, in the second boot, I set up everything normal, but instead of restoring from previous devices I set it up as a new device, then I manually download the app that was giving the error, it installed without a problem.
I know is a little too much for an app, but it works for me.

Jleeblanch

Feb 6, 2012
Colchester, VT
Moto G4 Plus
Moto G6
I had this issue trying to install Rom Toolbox. I uninstalled Terminal Emulator and the issue went away, probably because Terminal Emulator is included in Rom Toolbox.
I'm currently having the issue everyone mentions, except I already have ROM Toolbox Pro and was trying to install Terminal Emulator. Terminal Emulator in ROM Toolbox currently FC's on Stock (rooted) 5.0.1. But I use other features, like the Rebooter that I don't wanna sacrifice for just Terminal Emulator haha. Wish they'd fix this issue permanently

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
I'm currently having the issue everyone mentions, except I already have ROM Toolbox Pro and was trying to install Terminal Emulator. Terminal Emulator in ROM Toolbox currently FC's on Stock (rooted) 5.0.1. But I use other features, like the Rebooter that I don't wanna sacrifice for just Terminal Emulator haha. Wish they'd fix this issue permanently
Uninstall ROM toolbox, install terminal emulator, install ROM toolbox... Someone said that worked.

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
You really should look in the rom toolbox pro app a little better. There is an emulator built in

Sent from my One M8 using Tapatalk
I know, that's why you can't install jackpal terminal emulator if you have ROM toolbox installed as it uses the same permissions.

Although you should read up yourself because if you did, you'd know the terminal emulator in rom toolbox force closes on lollipop on the nexus 5.

AznKeo

Jan 4, 2014
I understand this is a old thread but I fixed it a way that wasn't mentioned in this thread. Just thought I'd share for anyone googling this issue and finding this. What I did was go into the guest account and uninstall the app that was causing the issue such as snapchat. The way I caused it in the first place was installing snapchat on aptoide which installed it on both my account and the guest account and I decided I didn't want snapchat anymore so I uninstalled it but it was still there on the guest account which caused the error 505 whenever I tried to reinstall snapchat.

Reactions: puregenius

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I spent an hour combing through Google group threads trying to get a real answer to this outstanding question. I was perplexed that only two applications of mine refused to install due to this error. The consensus was that the APK file was still there, or some remnants of data related to the application remained on the device that the Play Store service didn't like.

I ended up wiping my device twice:
    • Once by flashing both the userdata.img and cache.img files, which ended up giving me the storage issue bug on Lollipop. (Showing 16GB instead of 32GB)
    • Second by performing a factory reset from within the booted OS, which resolved the storage issue.

After that, everything was good to go. Have yet to encounter this error code again.
    C:\>adb install Term.apk
    3966 KB/s (515876 bytes in 0.127s)
    pkg: /data/local/tmp/Term.apk
    Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_DUPLICATE_PERMISSION perm=jackpal.androidterm.permission
    .PREPEND_TO_PATH pkg=com.jrummy.liberty.toolbox]

-505 error fixed

First download and install adb as mentioned here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48915118
    You may also refer here:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/125769/how-to-install-and-use-abd-the-android-debug-bridge-utility/

Press Windows key + R to bring the Run command. In Run command type %SystemDrive%\adb directory and press enter

I was not able to install SBI Freedom Plus App after upgrading to 5.0.1, so through adb, I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. For reinstalling I extracted only the .apk file from Google Play Store as given here http://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloader/

First we need to find the exact name of the app that is hidden and that needs to be uninstalled. So, list the installed apps using the shell command as given in the below image.

Next run the command to uninstall the app and reinstall it from the apk.

Note: I have not given the commands here, because all of them are mentioned in the above images.

Code 505 is a permissions code. This typically means that the APK file already exists in your /data/app folder. You'll need to locate the APK files in question in the /data/app folder and remove them. You will need root to perform this action.
    You came across this problem because you didn't do a wipe of your userdata partition when you jumped from Kitkat to Lollipop. I encountered the same issue because of that reason. I just ended up wiping and starting fresh as my phone hadn't been wiped since I got the device last November.