Google Play Store download error - 921

Search This thread

kobridge

Jan 10, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
This thread is to provide the solution for Google play store download error - 921.
Today I got the error while downloading the apps from Google Play Store. The error message is
'Error - Update for "xxxxx" could not be downloaded due to an error. (921)'

I've searched the forum and found some useful information. Because the thread was belonging to different phone, I wanted to post the information with some more details.

If you see the same error, then follow the steps -
1. Menu > Settings > Personal > Accounts and sync > click on your google account (email)
2. click 'Remove account'. Don't worry, it's not deleting your physical account. Account related information is still saved in Google.
3. Launch Google Play Store again
4. When asked, use existing account to create the google account.
5. Provide your existing google account information (email & password)
6. try again to download

Based on my experience, whenever I got the 921 error, cleaning cache and data for google play store app does not work.

Another work around is creating a second google account. But I believe many people do not want to maintain multiple account on one phone.

(attached) screenshot of error 921.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-04-11-08-43-36.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-04-11-08-43-36.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 2,508
Last edited:

touchtaz

Sep 6, 2008
I tired to do this, but I get
"This account is required by some applications. You can only remove it by resetting the phone to factory defaults (which deletes all your personal data) You do that in the Settings application, under Privacy"

Actually doing that is what started my problem. My google contacts would not sync
so I reset by going to Settings/Privacy, now I can't get google play/market to download anything, and I constantly get a google talk authentication failed message. ( I don't nor have I ever knowingly used google talk)

cidica

Aug 9, 2008
Seattle, Wa
remove and clear the data/cache for the play store and uninstall the update for it. it should roll back to a version from before and once you reopen it and it downloads again it should be ok. I had this same problem and have done that and so far with the newest market I've not had one single problem after doing that. YMMV however.

Reactions: boaxfux and KBizzle

touchtaz

Sep 6, 2008
I do not have option to clear data or clear cache greyed out, I will try the uninstall update..

no go, same thing only now the message is simply "could not be downloaded due to an error"

touchtaz

Sep 6, 2008
yeah, I can't clear data or cache as the buttons are not available.

it is rooted I am on GB EL30 with EL30 modem

i did not try a second account, really don't want a second account, i guess i can to test it though.

probably do a hard reset tonight from cm

kobridge

Jan 10, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
yeah, I can't clear data or cache as the buttons are not available.

it is rooted I am on GB EL30 with EL30 modem

i did not try a second account, really don't want a second account, i guess i can to test it though.

probably do a hard reset tonight from cm

Many google apps are sharing the info thru Google Framework service. Did you try to remove data/cache for this app also?
Doing factory resetting would be the easiest way but sometimes taking long time to recover the everything. So, it depends on your preference.

If the data & cache fields are grayed out, then it means that there's nothing to be cleared.

touchtaz

Sep 6, 2008
yes, the buttons for data and cache are also unavailable in framework also.

I did the factory reset from Privacy, that's what started the 921 problem.

i guess I will from cm tonight, that don't work I guess I'll put it back to ec05 and let it update then try again

touchtaz

Sep 6, 2008
got tired of messing with it, used odin to overwrite el30. so far so good. email push is working, contacts are syncing, and I can download from market

lorikitty

I googled this issue (I have a different device, obviously) and found this thread. Pointing me at the Google Framework services fixed my issue, so thank you!! I use TB and just restored the Google Framework data (I'd just wiped data and didn't want to have to go through the play store song and dance like ALWAYS) and voila! One reboot later (I'd already rebooted five times before, what was one more?) my apps download without an issue. This would probably resolve it for other users as well. Thank you again!! :)

Many google apps are sharing the info thru Google Framework service. Did you try to remove data/cache for this app also?
Doing factory resetting would be the easiest way but sometimes taking long time to recover the everything. So, it depends on your preference.

If the data & cache fields are grayed out, then it means that there's nothing to be cleared.

kobridge

Jan 10, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Hey my little cuties. I noticed something it the screenshot. You have the warning triangle up top. Use the pulldown to grant permissions. Google apps sometimes request it out of nowhere.

That was not the permission thing. Actually the little triangle was for the error message on top.

Actually I've seen the case like you explained but in my case there was no waring nor notification. Just app was't worked. In sometimes, if the app does not work, then we need to pull down the notification area, and check if there's anything (permission request). :D

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is to provide the solution for Google play store download error - 921.
    Today I got the error while downloading the apps from Google Play Store. The error message is
    'Error - Update for "xxxxx" could not be downloaded due to an error. (921)'

I've searched the forum and found some useful information. Because the thread was belonging to different phone, I wanted to post the information with some more details.

If you see the same error, then follow the steps -
    1. Menu > Settings > Personal > Accounts and sync > click on your google account (email)
    2. click 'Remove account'. Don't worry, it's not deleting your physical account. Account related information is still saved in Google.
    3. Launch Google Play Store again
    4. When asked, use existing account to create the google account.
    5. Provide your existing google account information (email & password)
    6. try again to download

Based on my experience, whenever I got the 921 error, cleaning cache and data for google play store app does not work.

Another work around is creating a second google account. But I believe many people do not want to maintain multiple account on one phone.

(attached) screenshot of error 921.
    First png uploading failed. Try to upload thru 2nd post.
    remove and clear the data/cache for the play store and uninstall the update for it. it should roll back to a version from before and once you reopen it and it downloads again it should be ok. I had this same problem and have done that and so far with the newest market I've not had one single problem after doing that. YMMV however.
    Now how do I clear up the 942 error.

If I helped you out in any way please thank me. Thanks.

Funny you should say that. I was having the same issue and went searching. Knew I seen this thread around here somewhere.

What I did was reset my dpi for 240. Rebooted. Cleared data for Google framework, then cleared data for Google play store, then remove your Google account under accounts and sync.

Reboot. And hit the Play store and sign in. Bam, I had 14 updates that wouldn't update because of my dpi settings. I was getting that same error you were after purchasing Friendcaster from online playstore and trying to install it. Did these steps and it installed fine. Ofcourse I'm going right back to 202 now :p
    Error 921 download error..

I could fix it by uninstalling the google play..