Question Google Play System update 1st December 2021

Search This thread

TimFlex

Mar 19, 2015
Bristol
FYI - Just got a google play system update dated 1st December 2021.
the december securrity update was already installed last week.
no mention of changlog though.. anyone have any clues?

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
FYI - Just got a google play system update dated 1st December 2021.
the december securrity update was already installed last week.
no mention of changlog though.. anyone have any clues?
I believe these are the security issues addressed. Not sure if this is all inclusive though.

Screenshot 2021-12-23 201434.png

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015

I think I found the docs for it. Not sure though.
Well done, I was already wondering where to find changelogs about this.

These Google System Updates seem to be quite important, I thought they were just smaller, minute Google Play Store fixes, but this is another matter entirely.
We have, for example, January fixes

Critical Fixes​

• [Tablet, Wear OS, Phone] Bug fixes for device connectivity, safety & emergency, system management & diagnostics and media related services.[1]

System Management​

• Updates to system management services that improve device connectivity, network usage, stability, security and updatability. [1]

Critical Fixes​

• [Auto, Tablet, TV, Wear OS, Phone] Bug fixes for device connectivity, safety & emergency, system management & diagnostics and media related services.[1][2]

Wallet

• [Phone] With digital car key, you can lock, unlock and start your car with just your phone (requires compatible car and phone model).[2]

System Management​

• Updates to system management services that improve battery life, device connectivity, network usage, privacy, stability, security and updatability. [1][2]

So... Google System Updates improve battery life, connectivity, network usage, stability, Android auto, TV, Wear OS... even UWB seems to be dependend on an up to date GSU ("digital car key" = BMW uwb thing)...

everything?

It seems that GSU are as important as "normal" firmware updates. Gotta make sure to have that up to date from now on.

I guess noone here knows a way to "force" these updates?

Last edited:

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member

I think I found the docs for it. Not sure though.
To me it's confusing that they call the page "What's new in Google System Updates", not Play System Updates.

The page does mention Play System services, but it mentions it at the very end of a string of mentions.

They include updates from Google to the Android operating system, Google Play Store, and Google Play services.

I'm not saying this isn't what it seems - it does seem to be correct, just using confusing naming.

Edit: I just manually checked for a Play System update. It didn't mention size or anything this time, it just immediately said something like to restart to apply the update. I am now on the December 1, 2021 Play System update.

Edit 2: Does anyone know a way to make a shortcut on the launcher for the Play System Update page? Activity Launcher only finds Play System Update licenses.

Last edited:

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Well done, I was already wondering where to find changelogs about this.

These Google System Updates seem to be quite important, I thought they were just smaller, minute Google Play Store fixes, but this is another matter entirely.

So... Google System Updates improve battery life, connectivity, network usage, stability, Android auto, TV, Wear OS... even UWB seems to be dependend on an up to date GSU ("digital car key" = BMW uwb thing)...

everything?

It seems that GSU are as important as "normal" firmware updates. Gotta make sure to have that up to date from now on.

I guess noone here knows a way to "force" these updates?
They are part of Project Mainline, which started with Android 10. Basically pushing security and other fixes for the Mainline modules. I think there are currently around 25 modules they update via Play System Updates. They do it this way so they don't have to be dependent on OEMs pushing updates. Here's some more info if interested...

Last edited:

thronnos

Apr 28, 2011
San Antonio
www.TheOrderGaming.net
To me it's confusing that they call the page "What's new in Google System Updates", not Play System Updates.

The page does mention Play System services, but it mentions it at the very end of a string of mentions.

I'm not saying this isn't what it seems - it does seem to be correct, just using confusing naming.

Edit: I just manually checked for a Play System update. It didn't mention size or anything this time, it just immediately said something like to restart to apply the update. I am now on the December 1, 2021 Play System update.

Edit 2: Does anyone know a way to make a shortcut on the launcher for the Play System Update page? Activity Launcher only finds Play System Update licenses.
Well we ALL know google absolutely sucks at consistent names and features. 🤣 But yeah I know what you mean, this does SEEM to be it but there is that slight internal doubt. But it's probably correct

• Haha

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
They are part of Project Mainline, which started with Android 10. Basically pushing security and other fixes for the Mainline modules. I think there are currently around 25 modules they update via Play System Updates. They do it this way so they don't have to be dependent on OEMs pushing updates. Here's some more info if interested...
Oh yeah, that's right! Cool. I think I assumed that they would just be updated as regular apps, but it makes sense that some things aren't really apps to be updated. Thanks.

Well we ALL know google absolutely sucks at consistent names and features. 🤣 But yeah I know what you mean, this does SEEM to be it but there is that slight internal doubt. But it's probably correct
I think they like and take pride in stepping back 5-10 levels from being control freaks. Vagueness saves time! 😜

Reactions: Lughnasadh

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Starting to see some articles on this now. Apparently this support page is new.

I figured since it only showed December and January's, although obviously there were updates before that, just not documented on that page.

Reactions: Lughnasadh

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Looks like they added 10 new items to the Play Systems, Play Store and Play Services update for January Play System Update and those 2 apps.

Top Liked Posts