Google Play system update - stuck at September patch

Search This thread

en2tri

Jun 28, 2019
The phone has the latest (November) security update for the OS. However, the Google Play system update is somehow stuck at September, even though it prompted for reboot twice so far.

The first time this happened around a month ago and after the reboot, the update hadn't switched from September to October, as one would expect. Yesterday, the same thing occurred again - a pending Google Play system update, prompting for a reboot. But after the reboot, the phone is somehow still stuck at September.

I think the only logical explanation is that the phone failed to apply the update twice. Has anyone else noticed this?

The phone is not rooted and is running the stock version of the OS.

tanguy$

Mar 1, 2017
Try clearing Google Play Services Cache and without rebooting, check for updates.
If this doesn't work, clear Google Play Services data, and check for update. (Don't worry, these are temp files and your data won't be lost.)

en2tri

Jun 28, 2019
Okay, note to self: don't clear the Play services data. I just lost the COVID-19 contact tracing data :(

The "Check for update" button doesn't find anything new, not after clearing the cache, nor the data. Reboot also doesn't change anything.

But this is actually not my main issue. I do get updates once in a while, but after the reboot, nothing is updated - like it fails or something. The last two updates failed, but it worked as expected on all previous ones (I have the phone for a bit over a year now).

en2tri

Jun 28, 2019
Today I noticed that the "Google Play system update" indicator has turned from green to red, since it hasn't been updated for 3 months. Is the September update really the last one?

Midomad

Recognized Contributor
May 7, 2011
Salé
Today I noticed that the "Google Play system update" indicator has turned from green to red, since it hasn't been updated for 3 months. Is the September update really the last one?
Yes,it's the last Google Play system update available for Pixel 3a.

en2tri

Jun 28, 2019
Today I randomly checked for an update for "Google Play system update" and I got a "Download & Install" prompt.

Long story short, it worked and I'm now on the December update.

Reactions: mulperi

Tomar777

Nov 10, 2016
Google Pixel 3a
In case somebody missed it, you can update manually, info on this thread

Reactions: en2tri

sufy1000

Oct 22, 2011
my pixel 4 xl is stuck on january patch when i reverted to android 11 from android 12 beta 1. Anyone know how i can go to the latest security patch?

Top Liked Posts