General Android 13 QPR3 went final in June 2023-opt-out now to get the OTA without wiping - Pixel 7 Pro [Cheetah] - [thread also for future Android QPR Betas]

Search This thread

SpaceCadetWilliam

Jul 3, 2011
will the final beta roll out via ota? I'm still just seeing android 14 when I check for system updates.
I'm dying to get out of the beta without having to wipe. I've been having mobile data issues this whole time and I'm ready for stability :)
just to be clear, once I get the next android 13 OTA I'll be able to opt out of the beta and it won't wipe my phone?

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
will the final beta roll out via ota? I'm still just seeing android 14 when I check for system updates.
I'm dying to get out of the beta without having to wipe. I've been having mobile data issues this whole time and I'm ready for stability :)
just to be clear, once I get the next android 13 OTA I'll be able to opt out of the beta and it won't wipe my phone?
The A13 QPR beta program has ended with the stable release of QPR3 (June update). Also...

Per Google:

Important: You must take action and opt out of the program in order to receive the public update. If your device is running a beta QPR3 build, you will not receive a downgrade OTA when you opt out so your device will not get wiped. Once you’ve opted out, you will receive the public June OTA update as it becomes available (may take a week+ as this is a phased rollout).

SpaceCadetWilliam

Jul 3, 2011
ah okay. so if I opt out right now, the stable ota will roll out to my phone? it said on the website that if I opt out the next OTA will wipe my phone so I was a bit concerned.
The A13 QPR beta program has ended with the stable release of QPR3 (June update). Also...

Per Google:

Important: You must take action and opt out of the program in order to receive the public update. If your device is running a beta QPR3 build, you will not receive a downgrade OTA when you opt out so your device will not get wiped. Once you’ve opted out, you will receive the public June OTA update as it becomes available (may take a week+ as this is a phased rollout).
edit: I just reread the unenroll message and it's more clear to me now since you've advised that the stable release is out. I've opted out :)

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
ah okay. so if I opt out right now, the stable ota will roll out to my phone? it said on the website that if I opt out the next OTA will wipe my phone so I was a bit concerned.
All I can tell you is what Google said in that quote. I think you should be ok. If you don't opt out you'll eventually receive the next A14 beta.

EDIT: Missed your edit before I wrote this.

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
I wonder how exactly this wipe process works.
If I'm on 14 Beta and I manually download 13 full OTA and flash it to my phone, would it wipe?
Is the wipe part of OTA flashing, if it detects a lower version it automatically wipes?

Just trying to get an understanding in case there is a way to prevent a wipe by manual flashing, of course I understand the implications of a downgrade that could cause crashes and other issues.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
I wonder how exactly this wipe process works.
If I'm on 14 Beta and I manually download 13 full OTA and flash it to my phone, would it wipe?
Is the wipe part of OTA flashing, if it detects a lower version it automatically wipes?

Just trying to get an understanding in case there is a way to prevent a wipe by manual flashing, of course I understand the implications of a downgrade that could cause crashes and other issues.
I think in this scenario the sideloading of the A13 OTA will error out with a message that you can't downgrade via sideloading, or something to that effect.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
I think this is the error message you should get when downgrading via sideloading an OTA:

E: Update package is older than the current build, expected a build newer than timestamp xxxxxxx but package has timestamp yyyyyy and downgrade is not allowed

Not sure how current that specific message is.

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
I think this is the error message you should get when downgrading via sideloading an OTA:

E: Update package is older than the current build, expected a build newer than timestamp xxxxxxx but package has timestamp yyyyyy and downgrade is not allowed

Not sure how current that specific message is.
See this, I wasn't blocked from flashing, but it didn't boot.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
See this, I wasn't blocked from flashing, but it didn't boot.
Yeah, I saw that yesterday. Interesting...

I know I've seen plenty of people get the message I referred to earlier when trying to downgrade, not just OS versions, but monthly versions as well, when sideloading.

Maybe some kind of check or something came later in the process and that's why it still wouldn't let you boot? I'm not sure what's up with that

Dave_247

How about now with 34.0.4?
It's been reported to have been fixed by Goggle back at the start of August, though unhelpfully they didn't increment the version number so you wouldn't even know that there was an older still broken version of 34.0.4, and the now a newer fixed version unless you have been following it closely.

Good news is that it's finally fixed, bad news, Google is still being Google and doing weird Google things.

• Wow
Reactions: jnss98b

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Pixel 7 Pro [Cheetah] QPR Betas

QPR stands for "Quarterly Platform Release". Android 13 QPR3 went final in June 2023. See main thread here for final/non-beta releases.

You can officially opt into the Android Beta Program there, or use the factory image or OTA below. You can no longer manually opt into the QPR3 Beta program - only the Android 14 Beta is offered to opt into:
    I'm only being allowed to Opt into the Android 14 beta program. I want to enroll in the Android 13 QPR Beta program instead. Any idea how?
    I don't know for sure, but I suspect that no one can opt into the QPR3 Beta program any longer.

Even Google's QPR3 Beta release page:
    which has a link:

and leads to:
    the Enroll in Android 13 Beta for Pixel button there still leads to:
    which only mentions Android 14 Beta.

So I think your only choice if you want to try QPR3 Beta is to have an unlocked bootloader and flash the factory image, or I think it's possible to sideload the OTA without unlocking the bootloader - but it's highly discouraged to try a Beta with a locked bootloader, as you'll be locked into the Beta program (via manual OTA sideloads) until it goes final, and you'll have no choice but to deal with the issues.

I don't plan on testing Betas of any sort, but feel free to use this thread for everything about the QPR Betas or major Android version betas for the Pixel 7 Pro. I'll update the information in the OP when necessary. See Post #2 in my main thread for general information (Unlocking Bootloader / Rooting / Updating | SafetyNet working again | ADB/Fastboot & Windows USB Drivers) but ask questions or make observations about all betas in this thread, please.

Once a QPR or major Android version goes final, I'll take those discussions to my main thread.
    The Beta also introduces support for some new carriers, some of which are the first ones for some countries (Portugal, Lithuania, Finland, Estonia), this means 5G working out of the box aswell as proper LTE Aggregation combinations (VoLTE depends on another configuration so that could take some time):

pt_vf​
    pt_meo​
    pt_nos​
    ca_tbaytel​
    uk_tesco​
    lt_telia​
    fi_telia​
    ee_telia​
    uk_sky​
    QPR2 Beta 3
    Pixel 7 Procheetah-t2b3.230109.002-factory-9b7903db.zip9b7903dbcf23bb41d1e3d86ed16eb5cd4309187c0def3aff148410dc34fcda5d

https://developer.android.com/about/versions/13/release-notes#beta3

Release notes​

bookmark
    Beta 3Beta 2.1Beta 2Beta 1
    Release dateFebruary 1, 2023
    BuildT2B3.230109.002
    Security patch levelJanuary 2023
    Google Play services23.03.13

About Android 13 QPR2​

Following the stable release of Android 13 to AOSP, we continue to update the platform with fixes and improvements that are then rolled out to supported devices. These releases happen on a quarterly cadence through Quarterly Platform Releases (QPRs), which are delivered both to AOSP and to Google Pixel devices as part of Feature Drops.
    Although these updates don't include app-impacting API changes, we provide images of the latest QPR beta builds so you can test your app with these builds as needed.
    Unlike developer previews and betas for unreleased versions of Android, these builds are suitable for general use. However, please review any known issues that are listed on this page.
    Android 13 QPR2 builds on the updates in Android 13 QPR1 and the Android 13 initial release and includes the next round of refinements such as bug fixes and improvements to stability and performance.

How to get QPR2 Beta 3​

You can install Android 13 QPR2 Beta 3 on any of the following Google Pixel devices:
    • Pixel 4a and 4a (5G)
    • Pixel 5 and 5a
    • Pixel 6 and 6 Pro
    • Pixel 6a
    • Pixel 7 and 7 Pro
    See Get Android 13 QPR beta builds for details on how to get started.

General advisories​

Be aware of these general advisories about the release:
    • This release might have various stability, battery, or performance issues.
    • For users with accessibility needs, this release might not be appropriate for daily use.
    • Some apps might not function as expected when running on this release. This limitation includes Google's apps as well as other apps.
    • Android 13 QPR beta builds aren't Compatibility Test Suite (CTS)‑approved, but they have passed preliminary testing and provide a stable set of pre-release APIs for developers. Apps that depend on CTS-approved builds or use SafetyNet APIs might not work normally on Android 13 QPR beta builds.

Get support​

Two primary support channels are available to you when developing and testing with Android 13 QPR2. The channel you should use to get support depends on where you are encountering your issue.
    • Support for device-specific issues, system issues, and issues with Google apps: Use the Issue Tracker to create new issues and to view and track issues that you and other developers have submitted.
      Before creating your own issue, check the known issues listed on this page and search the lists of top open issues and recently created issues to see if someone else has already reported it. You can subscribe and vote for an issue by clicking star this issue .
      See Where to report issues to find an issue template that best matches the type of issue that you are encountering.
    • Support for issues with other apps: Contact the app developer directly.
    To discuss issues or ideas with other developers working with the Android 13 QPR Beta, join the android_beta community on Reddit.

Top resolved issues​

The following issues have been resolved in Android 13 QPR2 Beta 3:

Developer-reported and user-reported issues​

• Fixed an issue where notifications in a notification group were sometimes displayed with straight corners instead of rounded corners. (Issue #264287776, Issue #265529116)
    • Fixed an issue where the message in the notification shade that indicates an active VPN connection overlapped with the message about apps with active foreground services. (Issue #266075977)
    • Fixed an issue where the overflow menu couldn't be accessed when editing Quick Settings tiles. (Issue #263484657)
    • Fixed an issue that sometimes caused a device with vibration enabled to vibrate for too long after it received a notification. (Issue #239676913)

Other resolved issues​

• Fixed an issue that sometimes caused messaging apps to crash or fail to send notifications.
    • Fixed a GPU issue that prevented apps from using certain visual effects.
    • Fixed an issue where Quick Settings tiles for a work profile were not added after setting up a new device.
    • Fixed an issue that sometimes caused the Pixel launcher to crash when using the Search bar in the app drawer.
    • Fixed an issue that sometimes prevented a device from being unlocked using a pattern after the Google Assistant was activated.
    • Fixed an issue in the com.android.qns system process that sometimes caused crashes.
    • Fixed an issue with the Pixel launcher that prevented Chinese text input from being recognized when typing in the Search bar in the app drawer.
    • Fixed an issue where when entering and exiting Picture-in-picture (PiP) mode from an app after changing the screen orientation, the system Settings app crashed with a "Settings keeps stopping" message and then the system Settings app couldn't be opened.
    • Fixed an issue with the System UI that sometimes caused it to crash from a null pointer exception.
    • Fixed an issue where the connection status of a Bluetooth device sometimes did not match the actual device state.
    • Fixed an issue where the Pixel launcher crashed when a user tapped a web search suggestion for a query term.
    • Fixed an issue that caused status bar icons to overlap with the date text when font and display settings were set to their maximum level on a device.

Top open issues​

See top open issues for the latest list of top open issues that have been reported.

Other known issues​

Based on our testing, you might encounter the following issues when using Android 13 QPR2. These issues are already known, so there's no need to file additional reports for similar issues.

Android Platform​

• The list of Recent apps sometimes becomes unresponsive if the screen orientation is changed while the list is open.

Previous beta releases​

Android 13 QPR1 Beta 2​

Android 13 QPR2 Beta 2.1 (January 2023)
    This minor update to Android 13 QPR2 Beta 2 includes the following fixes:
    • Fixed an issue that sometimes prevented devices from automatically connecting to a 5G network even when it was available. (Issue #265093352)
    • Fixed an issue where devices did not drop or reset an existing, encrypted Bluetooth connection after receiving a command to disable link-layer encryption for that connection.

Top resolved issues​

The following issues have been resolved in Android 13 QPR2 Beta 2:
    • Fixed an issue with the System UI that sometimes caused the Home screen to become unresponsive.
    • Fixed an issue where, after switching back to Normal video capture mode from Slow Motion mode in the Google Camera app, the app continued capturing slow-motion video if the capture speed was changed between 1/8x and 1/4x while in Slow Motion mode.

Other known issues​

Based on our testing, you might encounter the following issues when using Android 13 QPR2 Beta 2. These issues are already known, so there's no need to file additional reports for similar issues.

Android Platform​

• The list of Recent apps sometimes becomes unresponsive if the screen orientation is changed while the list is open.
    • In some cases when entering and exiting Picture-in-picture (PiP) mode from an app after changing the screen orientation, the system Settings app crashes with a "Settings keeps stopping" message and then the system Settings app can't be opened.
    • An issue with the System UI can sometimes cause it to crash from a null pointer exception.

Android 13 QPR1 Beta 1​

Other known issues​

Based on our testing, you might encounter the following issues when using Android 13 QPR2 Beta 1. These issues are already known, so there's no need to file additional reports for similar issues.

Android Platform​

• In some cases when entering and exiting Picture-in-picture (PiP) mode from an app after changing the screen orientation, the system Settings app crashes with a "Settings keeps stopping" message and then the system Settings app can't be opened.
    • An issue with the System UI can sometimes cause the Home screen to become unresponsive.

Google Apps​

• After switching back to Normal video capture mode from Slow Motion mode in the Google Camera app, the app continues capturing slow-motion video if the capture speed was changed between 1/8x and 1/4x while in Slow Motion mode.