• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Google Recorder stopped responding, is crashing, I need to recover my files, help appreciated

Search This thread

Danielmas

Jun 12, 2021
Hello guys,
can you please try something for me? Preferrably on Pixel 4a, yet others should work too.
Can you update the Google Recorder to the last version, record something, go to App Info, Disable the app, restart phone, enable the app again and see if your recording is still there or whether it got deleted?
My Google Recorder stopped responding (presumably after the last update). I cannot start the app and I need to save my files. I will be grateful for your help.

More info about my problem to be found here:

Something more about the recorder (not from me)
//https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/pixel-recorder-app-file-location.3997097/
//https://www.reddit.com/r/pixel_phones/comments/hc7w4h/cant_find_my_google_recorder_files_after/
I cannot root without losing data. Maybe someone can also advice me how to get the files using the "ADB commands"?

Thanks in advance for any tips

JohnC

May 5, 2007
Google Pixel 4a
The location of the recordings is here on a pixel 4a:

Recorder-Recordings-Location.png

Danielmas

Jun 12, 2021
The location of the recordings is here on a pixel 4a:

View attachment 5336089
Hello John, thanks for your reply, yet this folder not accessible without ROOT. That is the issue and the whole reason why I have this problem. Unless you have some other way / app which can access it. For me, the folder is completely hidden.

Edit: Root browser by JRummy Apps can view the recorder folder in data\data,
but it does not see any files folder or any files inside (as I am not rooted and rooting would wipe the device).

Last edited:

JohnC

May 5, 2007
Google Pixel 4a
But apparently there is a parent "Mount Point" of /dev/block/dm-1", so root browser may not be able to view that location.

Without root, it will be hard to get those files.

If this crashing of recorder happened with the latest update, then maybe other users are having the same problem, so google will fix it and hopefully it will start working again in the next version.

The only other thought I have is to find the APK of the previous working version, unpack it, make the version number one higher then the "bad" verison of recorder, repack and sign. Then you would be able to install it and it should see your files again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Danielmas

Danielmas

Jun 12, 2021
Hello good people. The 23/06/2021 Google Recorder update fixed my issue and I now succeeded in backing up my offline-saved recordings. This made me to choose other app to use for recording sound though. Beware as well!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    But apparently there is a parent "Mount Point" of /dev/block/dm-1", so root browser may not be able to view that location.

Without root, it will be hard to get those files.

If this crashing of recorder happened with the latest update, then maybe other users are having the same problem, so google will fix it and hopefully it will start working again in the next version.

The only other thought I have is to find the APK of the previous working version, unpack it, make the version number one higher then the "bad" verison of recorder, repack and sign. Then you would be able to install it and it should see your files again.