• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Google Search App keeps updating itself, any way to prevent this?

Search This thread

shaftenberg

Jul 31, 2010
Cologne
Hey guys,
I just discovered that the Google Search App (incl Assistant) keeps auto updating on all my devices, although Play Store is set to "manual".
This shouldn't happen at all, find this rather shady.
Has anyone any clue how to block this behavior? I'm rooted, just in case you might ask.
Thanks!

Reactions: _jis_

_jis_

Feb 5, 2012
Hey guys,
I just discovered that the Google Search App (incl Assistant) keeps auto updating on all my devices, although Play Store is set to "manual".
Has anyone any clue how to block this behavior? I'm rooted, just in case you might ask.
Thanks!
Not only that, but the Google Search app also updates even if you disable updates for it. Which is even more questionable behavior.
Screenshot_20210810-163954543 (1).jpg

In the latest version (12.30.9.23.arm64), the "At a Glance" widget of this app stopped showing me the temperature. I therefore had to uninstall the updates and revert to the factory version (10.16.6.21.arm64), which works without a problem. It just updated again, even though I disabled its updates. Then I found your thread.
I'm glad it's not just my problem, but I don't like Google's approach at all.

Screenshot_20210810-164649445 (1).jpg

Last edited:

_jis_

Feb 5, 2012
Following on from my previous post.

After a few days, I unfortunately discovered that the factory version of the Google Search app (10.16.6.21.arm64) does not allow me to authenticate on new device via two-factor authentication on my phone.

It reported this unremarkable error: Google Play services - An error occurred.

I don't understand how this could be related to the factory version of the Google Search app, but I resignedly updated the Google Search app back to the current version (12.30.9.23.arm64) anyway. This means the same version that stopped showing the weather before. 2FA works again and to my surprise the weather also works again. So it was probably a problem on Google's servers.

mfockin

Aug 31, 2021
I had a Google app updating on me and added lens button in place of my voice search button. I've rolled back the update and it was gone. But google automatically updated the google app and the trick with disabling the playstore did not work. Obviously automatic updates were disabled and my gear app was updated automatically also. Any ideas guys? we need to find a workaround. My map app put my account button where the voice search button used to be. getting pretty annoying with my fat fingers...

scuba1999

Oct 22, 2011
Thanks for this thread OP. I dislike the latest Google App (it doesn't offer alternatives to the understood word in speech-to-text), and experienced your same issue.
I did the following:
1. Disabled all app updates in Play store settings (I've always had this set this way).
2. Uninstalled updates to app "Google App"
3. Enjoyed old version (Google App 7.17.28.21) for a while
4. Then I found within 12 hours (not exact) Google App is back to the latest version ~12. ...

Thanks to your efforts, I will disable the play store until needed.

Quick side shoutout to whoever forked the old Google maps on this forum a long time ago ("MapsD"), as I still have it running alongside normal google maps. That was my original reason to disable updates in PS.

If anyone has bothered to locate the last or (last-ish) version of Google App that in the speech-to-text feature lets me click on a word to see alternates, let me know. I think it's somewhere after my current old version (7.x.xx.x), but well before 12.xx.x..x (maybe 9.x.x.x. -ish?). The 7.x.x. version lets me, but is too old to interpret spoken punctuation.

aleskva

Jan 19, 2015
For me the cause of auto-updating Google search app is Google Play store app v26+. No such problem with v22. So the problem moves from stopping auto-updating Google search app to stopping auto-updating Google Play store app. And the only way seems to be through rooted phone: https://android.stackexchange.com/a/121146

Currently rooting phone to test this, will let you guys know if the solution works

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,
    Thanks!
    Magisk debloater module to debloat it.
    Well, I do not want to remove the Google App - I just do NOT want it to auto-update it by itself. I mean, come on, the user setting is "do not update" and Google App and Youtube keep updating nevertheless. Gladly I use Youtube Vanced, so because of the other signature, auto update doesn't work.
    But Google App force closes when signing with another key.

I'm using the voice search feature alot, this is the only purpose for the app in my case. So I need velvet.apk / Google App.
    OR: Has anyone an idea where to get voice search only? :D This is baked in unfortunately as far as I know.
    Voice search? Bixby's big sister🤣
    Just more invasive Gookill data mining.
    You're not the customer, you're the product.
    You know like cattle...
    Hey guys,
    Thanks!
    I'm struggling with the same issue. The voice-to-text was wrecked by the last update. Uninstall update and everything is good again. I have also disabled auto update on the Play Store and it keeps updating. All I can figure is that there is an update file saved on the phone that it is accessing. Does anyone know if it is possible to find/ delete the update file? FWIW, I am not rooted on this device (S20).
    It is working. I had it backwards in my previous post though. You need to disable Play Store (not Play Services). Disabling Services kills a majority of apps.

I use Swiftkey also, but I don't think it has anything to do with Swiftkey. Swiftkey just uses the Google voice-to-text.

Once Play Store is disabled you have to go the the Google app and uninstall updates. The only negative I have experienced is that you have to enable PS again when you need to download a new app from the store (expected) which will mean uninstalling updates again.