• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.

Google Talk disconnecting repeatedly, also affecting push notifications

oscillik

Mar 19, 2009
Widnes
This issue is really starting to grate on me, since I use Google Talk a lot.

For about 6 months now I have had an issue where, regardless of how I am connected to the internet, Google Talk will randomly (but consistently) disconnect from Google servers, even though the internet connection I am currently using has had no drops in the connection and is solid as a rock.

When switching to Google Talk when the fault occurs, I am presented with this:

I have noticed that while this fault is happening, I am unable to receive push notifications of any kind, this includes Gmail push notifications, Twitter notifications, Google+ notifications, Trillian IM notifications, etc etc etc. It's as if the phone loses connection to Google C2DM services altogether.

In some cases the signal bars will turn grey, sometimes they stay blue. In either case, the only way to get anything to come through again is to put the phone into airplane mode for a few seconds and then back out of airplane mode.

I am having to do this, on average, 10 times a day (this is no exaggeration). I also experienced this on my Nexus S, my sister is experiencing the problem on her Nexus One, and my significant other is also experiencing the same problem in the US on her Motorola Triumph.

Is anyone else having this problem?

kristovaher

Jul 29, 2010
Tallinn
www.waher.net
I had this problem on my HTC Desire also starting around six months ago. I never could get rid of it. I thought I did something wrong, but never figured out what, either certain apps or settings in Android. Resetting the phone did not help, at least not after I had installed my usual apps again (I did not test it before).

But since I got Galaxy Nexus, this problem has not repeated itself, so it should not be a problem with your Google account itself. It must be some setting or application on the device that causes problems.

You can see if this happens when you restore factory settings and don't install anything other than set up Google Account and see if the problem repeats. That's about the only thing where I can recommend that you start looking. It really is pain in the arse, since I didn't find anyone else with a similar problem at the time.

qwerp_

Oct 8, 2010
oscillik, based on your avatar, i believe you are using giffgaff.

on my last experience when i was using nexus S, when i first used Tesco SIM (which piggy backs on o2 just like how giffgaff is), i have the same issue as well.

its all down to the data connection (APN) settings that cause the problem.

the last time that i manage to "fix" the issue is to just ignore all existing APN (delete them if possible), create a new apn with data details only. DO NOT ENTER ANY MMS Proxy. and set that as a default and give it a try. it should work. i can't remember properlly now, but it have definite something to do with proxy where the connection sort of time out after a while. there is the source of your problem.

what was happening is, it is trying to establish a connection via the MMS proxy vise versa, and cause the drop outs.

give it a try, it works for me last time.

note, once i am back on o2, no more issues.
p.s. when i went back to using o2, the problem seems to have just fix itself.

Last edited:

oscillik

Mar 19, 2009
Widnes

on my last experience when i was using nexus S, when i first used Tesco SIM (which piggy backs on o2 just like how giffgaff is), i have the same issue as well.

the last time that i manage to "fix" the issue is to just ignore all existing APN (delete them if possible), create a new apn with data details only. DO NOT ENTER ANY MMS Proxy. and set that as a default and give it a try. it should work. i can't remember properlly now, but it have definite something to do with proxy where the connection sort of time out after a while. there is the source of your problem.

what was happening is, it is trying to establish a connection via the MMS proxy vise versa, and cause the drop outs.

I shall give this a try, although I really don't see how MMS settings in the APN can cause problems, when the problem affects me whether I'm connected by WiFi or not...

Still, I shall give it a go...I don't receive MMS messages anyway

qwerp_

Oct 8, 2010
I shall give this a try, although I really don't see how MMS settings in the APN can cause problems, when the problem affects me whether I'm connected by WiFi or not...

Still, I shall give it a go...I don't receive MMS messages anyway
i don't see it that way as well.

but i happened to me before when i just got my nexus S, and it draws me crazy.

it affects your gmail notification as well. not just google chat.

unless you set your wifi to be constantly on, and you are on a wifi network, else it will still affect you as once you turn off, its switch itself to mobile data.

but i can confirm that this has something to do with the mobile data. even better, you can try to borrow someone else's SIM to give it a try. you will get different result.

kristovaher

Jul 29, 2010
Tallinn
www.waher.net

Sounds like a good idea to try.

But it's worth pointing out that I was on the same service provider with my HTC Desire, where I had that problem and I don't have that problem with Galaxy Nexus. Then again some phones or Android version might not get stuck with certain settings while others do.

Let me know if it works oscillik so I know what to look for if I get that problem again in the future.

oscillik

Mar 19, 2009
Widnes
unless you set your wifi to be constantly on, and you are on a wifi network, else it will still affect you as once you turn off, its switch itself to mobile data
See this is the thing - I have the WiFi sleep policy set to 'never'. :(

In any case, I have removed the MMS settings from the giffgaff APN and shall see if it changes anything.

Kristovaher - I appreciate your input here. Considering that the issue not only has affected multiple handsets I've personally owned but also is affecting friends and family, I think the only application that we all have installed in common is Chrome To Phone. This obviously also uses C2DM, and could plausibly be causing a problem here. I'll see how this MMS proxy issue pans out, and if I am still encountering the problem, I shall try eliminating Chrome To Phone.

I don't think there's any configuration issue, since there isn't anything that the user can configure with regard to C2DM notifcations except to have them either enabled or disabled (of course, I have them enabled).

Chirality

Sep 6, 2008
Cambridge, MA
This issue is really starting to grate on me, since I use Google Talk a lot.

For about 6 months now I have had an issue where, regardless of how I am connected to the internet, Google Talk will randomly (but consistently) disconnect from Google servers, even though the internet connection I am currently using has had no drops in the connection and is solid as a rock.

When switching to Google Talk when the fault occurs, I am presented with this:

I have noticed that while this fault is happening, I am unable to receive push notifications of any kind, this includes Gmail push notifications, Twitter notifications, Google+ notifications, Trillian IM notifications, etc etc etc. It's as if the phone loses connection to Google C2DM services altogether.

In some cases the signal bars will turn grey, sometimes they stay blue. In either case, the only way to get anything to come through again is to put the phone into airplane mode for a few seconds and then back out of airplane mode.

I am having to do this, on average, 10 times a day (this is no exaggeration). I also experienced this on my Nexus S, my sister is experiencing the problem on her Nexus One, and my significant other is also experiencing the same problem in the US on her Motorola Triumph.

Is anyone else having this problem?
While the phone is in the state where no push notifications can come in, can you go to your running apps list, and see if the Google Messaging Service is running? It should be listed as one of the Google Services.

kristovaher

Jul 29, 2010
Tallinn
www.waher.net
Looks like I'm going to have to factory reset...again. :mad:
Before you do, make sure your apps and settings are not backed up, that may also cause a problem someplace.

I wish I could help more, all I know is that I had that exact same problem with HTC Desire with the same Google account and SIM card and I don't have the problem on Galaxy Nexus. Some settings and apps are different, but other than that I don't suffer from that issue anymore and my symptoms were exactly the same for many months.

It annoyed the hell out of me, since I used gTalk as a primary messaging device with my girlfriend and closest friends (all Android users).

oscillik

Mar 19, 2009
Widnes
While the phone is in the state where no push notifications can come in, can you go to your running apps list, and see if the Google Messaging Service is running? It should be listed as one of the Google Services.
Yes the service is running when the issue occurs.

Before you do, make sure your apps and settings are not backed up, that may also cause a problem someplace.

I wish I could help more, all I know is that I had that exact same problem with HTC Desire with the same Google account and SIM card and I don't have the problem on Galaxy Nexus. Some settings and apps are different, but other than that I don't suffer from that issue anymore and my symptoms were exactly the same for many months.

It annoyed the hell out of me, since I used gTalk as a primary messaging device with my girlfriend and closest friends (all Android users).
Yeah, I made sure that when I signed into my Google account I did not restore backed up settings so this phone, apart from me signing into my Google account to be able to use Google Talk, is as factory as you can get. It is definitely frustrating since, like you, I use Google Talk as my primary instant messenger.

I'll be sure to keep things updated here with any new developments.

qwerp_

Oct 8, 2010
as a side note.

this is how i used to measure.

if you look at the reception bar, when its connected to google services, it will turn blue, else it will be grey. i would say, forget the wifi for a minute, just run it purely on mobile data,

let the phone goes to sleep for 30 minutes or so, when you try to wake it, if the problem exist, it should still show blue (stale information from before sleep), then to grey again. they it will try to re-establish the connection, and after some few attempts, turn blue again.

note. all this show as green in Gingerbread.

SilentMobius

Apr 17, 2007
Did you remove the proxy setting in the default giffgaff APN? I did and my data connection seems much more stable. I think their proxy get's overloaded and confused very easily.

oscillik

Mar 19, 2009
Widnes
as a side note.

this is how i used to measure.

if you look at the reception bar, when its connected to google services, it will turn blue, else it will be grey. i would say, forget the wifi for a minute, just run it purely on mobile data,

let the phone goes to sleep for 30 minutes or so, when you try to wake it, if the problem exist, it should still show blue (stale information from before sleep), then to grey again. they it will try to re-establish the connection, and after some few attempts, turn blue again.

note. all this show as green in Gingerbread.
The problem occurs on either WiFi or mobile data though...

Did you remove the proxy setting in the default giffgaff APN? I did and my data connection seems much more stable. I think their proxy get's overloaded and confused very easily.
Yes, the giffgaff settings I have are:

Name: giffgaff
APN: giffgaff.com
Proxy: <not set>
Port: <not set>
Username: giffgaff
Password: password
Server: <not set>
MMSC: http://mmsc.mediamessaging.co.uk:8002
MMS proxy: 193.113.200.195
MMS port: 8080
MCC: 234
MNC: 10
Authentication type: <not set>
APN Type: default,supl,mms

but regardless, the issue happens even on WiFi

qwerp_

Oct 8, 2010
oscillik,

i think its easier for you to just quickly borrow a SIM from a proper network. not a MVNO and give it a try.

i been down the path resetting the phone and it doesn't help (when on nexus s). there is even suggestion about using googlemail.com during sign in instead of gmail.com which again doesn't help.