Google Talk instead of Hangouts?

Search This thread

bailyc

Feb 15, 2013
Originally Posted by SubMatrix<br />
You just moved the Talk.apk that was posted earlier in the thread to system/app and rebooted?
<br />
<br />
Did you set permissions properly on the talk.apk. If you don't know how to do that, fix permissions in recovery will do it for you.

I also found that the app was disabled when I first rebooted. Talk didn't appear in the app drawer at all, and I had to go in through settings to enable it manually. Mine's successfully up and running.

SubMatrix

Jun 24, 2010
I also found that the app was disabled when I first rebooted. Talk didn't appear in the app drawer at all, and I had to go in through settings to enable it manually. Mine's successfully up and running.

Thanks I'll check that tonight as well as the permissions.

SubMatrix

Jun 24, 2010
Argh, still not working. I went into TWRP and fixed permissions, I checked my applications to see if it was disabled. It's not there (in neither Downloaded, Running, nor All). Can you list the exact steps you did?

What I did was:
1. Download the Talk.apk someone posted on the 1st page of this thread.
2. Copied it over to system/app.
3. Deleted Hangouts.apk from system/app.
4. Rebooted
5. Fix permissions in TWRP

I can't find any evidence of Talk anywhere besides the fact the apk still resides in my system/app. :(

Sorry to be so persistent about this, but I really want to get it to work.

Reactions: Samuel Holland

bailyc

Feb 15, 2013
Argh, still not working. I went into TWRP and fixed permissions, I checked my applications to see if it was disabled. It's not there (in neither Downloaded, Running, nor All). Can you list the exact steps you did?

What I did was:
4. Rebooted

I can't find any evidence of Talk anywhere besides the fact the apk still resides in my system/app. :(

These are the exact steps I took, and mine is working. Try this, and hopefully it works for you.

1. Signed out of Hangouts.
2. Deleted Hangouts. I used Super Manager, but using a root explorer should be the same thing.
3. Rebooted to confirm Hangouts was gone. (Probably not necessary, but I did it anyway.)
4. Put the Talk app in SD root folder. Specifically, the one from JB 4.2.2.
5. Booted into recovery and installed the app there.
6. Rebooted into Android and checked permissions using root explorer. Also just made sure it was installed as a system app.
At this point, I could only see the app in /system/app. It wasn't accessible anywhere else on the tablet, meaning it was disabled.
7. Went into Settings > Apps>All and found the app; selected "Enable"

I'm not sure which version of talk.apk is posted on the first page of the thread. I tried two versions of the Talk app, and the first one (from 4.1.2) did not work at all. The second one from 4.2.2 works fine.

You'll see in this thread that someone on 4.3 had no issues using a 4.1.2 Gtalk app on his tablet, but for whatever reason, I couldn't get it to work. Post #26 of that thread has a 4.2.2 version that worked for me.

Code:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2377868&page=2

And here's the version that worked on my Nexus 7:

Code:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=44158878&postcount=26

Hope that helps. Report back if you're able to get it working :good:

Last edited:

SubMatrix

Jun 24, 2010
These are the exact steps I took, and mine is working. Try this, and hopefully it works for you.

2. Deleted Hangouts. I used Super Manager, but using a root explorer should be the same thing.
3. Rebooted to confirm Hangouts was gone. (Probably not necessary, but I did it anyway.)
6. Rebooted into Android and checked permissions using root explorer. Also just made sure it was installed as a system app.
At this point, I could only see the app in /system/app. It wasn't accessible anywhere else on the tablet, meaning it was disabled.

I'm not sure which version of talk.apk is posted on the first page of the thread. I tried two versions of the Talk app, and the first one (from 4.1.2) did not work at all. The second one from 4.2.2 works fine.

You'll see in this thread that someone on 4.3 had no issues using a 4.1.2 Gtalk app on his tablet, but for whatever reason, I couldn't get it to work. Post #26 of that thread has a 4.2.2 version that worked for me.

Code:

Code:

Awesome, followed your steps exactly and it works now :) I used the same zip as you, flashed it in TWRP. Rebooted, and the app was already in the drawer. Didn't even have to enable it in App settings. Finally!

Edit: I lost Gmail and Google Search after flashing the zip, which a user noted earlier. Reinstalled these apps from Play Store and they work fine.

Last edited:

bailyc

Feb 15, 2013
Awesome, followed your steps exactly and it works now :) I used the same zip as you, flashed it in TWRP. Rebooted, and the app was already in the drawer. Didn't even have to enable it in App settings. Finally!

Edit: I lost Gmail and Google Search after flashing the zip, which a user noted earlier. Reinstalled these apps from Play Store and they work fine.

Great! Glad you have it working. I had totally forgotten about Gmail being lost. I too had to reinstall mine, although I don't recall Google Search being gone. Very quirky, but I guess not as quirky as the Hangouts app, heh.

xnifex

Jul 4, 2006
Phoenix

Code:

sweet I'm glad my version worked for you!

Great! Glad you have it working. I had totally forgotten about Gmail being lost. I too had to reinstall mine, although I don't recall Google Search being gone. Very quirky, but I guess not as quirky as the Hangouts app, heh.

Hmm so it wasn't just me who lost gmail & google search. yeah I have no idea why that happened, maybe I took out some needed files in that zip or something, but easy fix.

Last edited:
Reactions: bailyc

bailyc

Feb 15, 2013

Hmm so it wasn't just me who lost gmail & google search. yeah I have no idea why that happened, maybe I took out some needed files in that zip or something, but easy fix.

Yep, many thanks! I'm so glad to have Talk working again. The gmail/Google thing was so minor I hadn't even remembered. Thanks for posting up the file for us!

xnifex

Jul 4, 2006
Phoenix
Yep, many thanks! I'm so glad to have Talk working again. The gmail/Google thing was so minor I hadn't even remembered. Thanks for posting up the file for us!

the thanks should really go to whoever talked about getting the gapps stuff & modifying the zip file. I am curious why it removes gmail/search tho, but I have no idea how to find that out, so whatever. :p

R

Rirere

the thanks should really go to whoever talked about getting the gapps stuff & modifying the zip file. I am curious why it removes gmail/search tho, but I have no idea how to find that out, so whatever. :p

Lately, most gapps builds I've seen have gone only for apps that cannot be obtained through the Play Store, which makes sense to me to keep download sizes down.

xnifex

Jul 4, 2006
Phoenix
Lately, most gapps builds I've seen have gone only for apps that cannot be obtained through the Play Store, which makes sense to me to keep download sizes down.

I used the gapps for 4.2.2 & there were a few things in there. I went in took everything out that wasn't for Google Talk. It's odd that flashing that removed gmail & search tho.

ergosum

Jul 28, 2010

Odd, I followed the steps too but it didn't work. I use a LG P990 with Civx Multi Flex rev 3.0. There was Hangouts in the first place. I deleted it with a root explorer, put my old talk apk from my old rom and nothing happen. Installing it throws me a "Application not installed" error. When rebooting or searching for Talk (or com.google.talk) in the settings/apps, I couldn't find it.

I have installed Talk the a zip file and it doesn't appear too! I'm sick of all that.

SubMatrix

Jun 24, 2010
Odd, I followed the steps too but it didn't work. I use a LG P990 with Civx Multi Flex rev 3.0. There was Hangouts in the first place. I deleted it with a root explorer, put my old talk apk from my old rom and nothing happen. Installing it throws me a "Application not installed" error. When rebooting or searching for Talk (or com.google.talk) in the settings/apps, I couldn't find it.

I have installed Talk the a zip file and it doesn't appear too! I'm sick of all that.

After getting mine to work, I helped a friend set up his, following the steps exactly. It actually took 3-5 flashes of the zip and reboots before we finally saw the app show up. In fact, Hangouts didn't disappear until a few reboots after the apk was removed from system/app either. Keep trying.

SubMatrix

Jun 24, 2010
So now I'm running in to the issue. Since I flashed back to Google Talk, now the OTA doesn't install.

If you've modified system/app (which you have) the OTA won't install. I think what I did was TiBu everything, factory reset, manually flash JSS15Q, and TiBu restore my apps.

z0phi3l

Jan 8, 2010
Waterbury
Seems like a lot of work and hassle just to install a dead and bad app when there's a better alternative in Hangouts, and no, no matter what the haters say, Talk is in no way better than hangouts, so don't try

Like someone else already said, get used to Hangouts, it's the future and I'll wager that soon no matter what you do Talk will just stop working, and I hope Google does it soon so people stop wasting time on it

Reactions: miniblue

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Google Talk was replaced by Hangouts, so I'm not really sure what you're trying to do...or at least WHY you're trying to do it.

Hangouts is pretty garbage, I preferred being able to see whether people were online/away so I knew if I would get a response if I msged them or not.

What I did was:
    4. Rebooted

Code:

Code:

What I did was:
    4. Rebooted

Code:

Seems like a lot of work and hassle just to install a dead and bad app when there's a better alternative in Hangouts, and no, no matter what the haters say, Talk is in no way better than hangouts, so don't try

Like someone else already said, get used to Hangouts, it's the future and I'll wager that soon no matter what you do Talk will just stop working, and I hope Google does it soon so people stop wasting time on it
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone