Google Talk instead of Hangouts?

Search This thread

Deeco7

Jul 12, 2010
Hangouts is pretty garbage, I preferred being able to see whether people were online/away so I knew if I would get a response if I msged them or not.

If that is the only reason for using Talk instead of Hangouts, then I wouldn't bother. In Hangouts you can tell when the person is online whom you are chatting to, this is shown by a small profile pic in the chat glowing when they are online and greyed/hidden if they are not.

Sent from my Nexus 4

SubMatrix

Jun 24, 2010
If that is the only reason for using Talk instead of Hangouts, then I wouldn't bother. In Hangouts you can tell when the person is online whom you are chatting to, this is shown by a small profile pic in the chat glowing when they are online and greyed/hidden if they are not.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Have they changed this recently? You didn't used to be able to tell.

SubMatrix

Jun 24, 2010
Cool, thanks for the info. How do they do the sorting, is it still by "most recently contacted"? Or is it by online status (my preferred way, and how Talk operates).

digiboy1

Aug 8, 2013
Or, you people could just install 'xabber' which is a free app in PlayStore and does and looks quite similar to Talk. :) Also, since it's gonna get supported in future.
I have been doing the same and it works well. It integrates with your contacts too!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: AarSyl

InfX

May 1, 2008
Any updates on this? Let me note that i've been successfully using the original talk (copied over as a system app) on Nexus7 with Android 4.3 on it, but now it is no longer able to sign in, while the same APK works just find on my pre 4.3 SGS3 ROM.

I see the following line in logcat while attempting to connect:
Code:
E/talk    ( 8903): [AccountLoginUtils] asyncCreateConnectionForAccount: creating connection failed

I didn't try investigating any further.

About xabber, it is missing invisible mode, as well as audio chat mode, that talk got. Also, it needs your google account password entered in, something i usually thinking twice about.

vkk178

Feb 6, 2012
Bangalore
Samsung Galaxy S21 FE
Seems like a lot of work and hassle just to install a dead and bad app when there's a better alternative in Hangouts, and no, no matter what the haters say, Talk is in no way better than hangouts, so don't try

Like someone else already said, get used to Hangouts, it's the future and I'll wager that soon no matter what you do Talk will just stop working, and I hope Google does it soon so people stop wasting time on it

One reason to still stick with gtalk is because talk is more light weight compared to hangouts.

Has any one found a solution for this ? .Gtalk stopped working with the same error after few weeks on my 4.3 ROM

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Google Talk was replaced by Hangouts, so I'm not really sure what you're trying to do...or at least WHY you're trying to do it.

Hangouts is pretty garbage, I preferred being able to see whether people were online/away so I knew if I would get a response if I msged them or not.
    Argh, still not working. I went into TWRP and fixed permissions, I checked my applications to see if it was disabled. It's not there (in neither Downloaded, Running, nor All). Can you list the exact steps you did?

What I did was:
    1. Download the Talk.apk someone posted on the 1st page of this thread.
    2. Copied it over to system/app.
    3. Deleted Hangouts.apk from system/app.
    4. Rebooted
    5. Fix permissions in TWRP

I can't find any evidence of Talk anywhere besides the fact the apk still resides in my system/app. :(

Sorry to be so persistent about this, but I really want to get it to work.

These are the exact steps I took, and mine is working. Try this, and hopefully it works for you.

1. Signed out of Hangouts.
    2. Deleted Hangouts. I used Super Manager, but using a root explorer should be the same thing.
    3. Rebooted to confirm Hangouts was gone. (Probably not necessary, but I did it anyway.)
    4. Put the Talk app in SD root folder. Specifically, the one from JB 4.2.2.
    5. Booted into recovery and installed the app there.
    6. Rebooted into Android and checked permissions using root explorer. Also just made sure it was installed as a system app.
    At this point, I could only see the app in /system/app. It wasn't accessible anywhere else on the tablet, meaning it was disabled.
    7. Went into Settings > Apps>All and found the app; selected "Enable"

I'm not sure which version of talk.apk is posted on the first page of the thread. I tried two versions of the Talk app, and the first one (from 4.1.2) did not work at all. The second one from 4.2.2 works fine.

You'll see in this thread that someone on 4.3 had no issues using a 4.1.2 Gtalk app on his tablet, but for whatever reason, I couldn't get it to work. Post #26 of that thread has a 4.2.2 version that worked for me.

Code:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2377868&page=2

And here's the version that worked on my Nexus 7:

Code:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=44158878&postcount=26

Hope that helps. Report back if you're able to get it working :good:
    Argh, still not working. I went into TWRP and fixed permissions, I checked my applications to see if it was disabled. It's not there (in neither Downloaded, Running, nor All). Can you list the exact steps you did?

What I did was:
    1. Download the Talk.apk someone posted on the 1st page of this thread.
    2. Copied it over to system/app.
    3. Deleted Hangouts.apk from system/app.
    4. Rebooted
    5. Fix permissions in TWRP

I can't find any evidence of Talk anywhere besides the fact the apk still resides in my system/app. :(

Sorry to be so persistent about this, but I really want to get it to work.
    And here's the version that worked on my Nexus 7:

Code:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=44158878&postcount=26

Hope that helps. Report back if you're able to get it working :good:

sweet I'm glad my version worked for you!

Awesome, followed your steps exactly and it works now :) I used the same zip as you, flashed it in TWRP. Rebooted, and the app was already in the drawer. Didn't even have to enable it in App settings. Finally!

Edit: I lost Gmail and Google Search after flashing the zip, which a user noted earlier. Reinstalled these apps from Play Store and they work fine.

Great! Glad you have it working. I had totally forgotten about Gmail being lost. I too had to reinstall mine, although I don't recall Google Search being gone. Very quirky, but I guess not as quirky as the Hangouts app, heh.

Hmm so it wasn't just me who lost gmail & google search. yeah I have no idea why that happened, maybe I took out some needed files in that zip or something, but easy fix.
    Seems like a lot of work and hassle just to install a dead and bad app when there's a better alternative in Hangouts, and no, no matter what the haters say, Talk is in no way better than hangouts, so don't try

Like someone else already said, get used to Hangouts, it's the future and I'll wager that soon no matter what you do Talk will just stop working, and I hope Google does it soon so people stop wasting time on it