'Google to sell Motorola to Lenovo'

Dec 25, 2013
Brussels
thomas.vanhoutte.be
Breaking story on The Verge

Google is reportedly nearing a deal to sell Motorola's phone division to Lenovo, a move that would give the Chinese smartphone manufacturer a major presence in the US smartphone market. News of the potential acquisition comes from both Reuters and China Daily, with the latter reporting that the acquisition could be announced as soon as Thursday morning in Beijing — just a matter of hours from now. Reuters reports that the deal is worth close to $3 billion, a number corroborated by China Daily's report over a deal worth over $2 billion.

Google originally bought Motorola Mobility for $12.5 billion, but said at the time that it was mainly interested in its patent portfolio. Now, it appears that Google is offloading its handset business, which has been losing hundreds of millions each quarter since the purchase. Reuters reports that Lenovo's purchase will include some patents, though it appears that the acquisition focuses primarily on devices, such as the Moto X and Moto G.
Source: http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/29/5358620/lenovo-reportedly-buying-motorola-mobility-from-google

Reactions: denzel09

Faruko

Dec 24, 2013
Santiago
Im pretty sure this is not bad at all, Lenovo will let Motorola work as an independent company like google did, after all Motorola has its own "fans" and has regained a lot of attention last year...

I would even go the extra mile to say that Lenovo would help a lot more than Google, after all Google barely even touched Motorola...

Sent from my XT1032 using xda app-developers app

amoutie

Jun 28, 2012
Well, there is still the Moto G play store edition and that gets fast updates. I think we'll be okay.

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk
I think that as not everyone got a GPE we will not see fast updates (or even any updates) for current devices. I don't know... I hope the future will tell otherwise!

schermvlieger

Sep 4, 2010
I am worried that the way Lenovo is going to try to get their return on investment for this acquisition is not going to be very fruitful for Motorola's current and future customer base.
Let's just hope that there'll be at least some support for the Motor G into android versions beyond kitkat...

MahaDEVELOPER

Sep 25, 2013
London
I hope that Lenovo will allow Motorola to be a independent company like when Google owned it and just use Motorola for their patents, to support future Lenovo products such as Tablets.