'Google to sell Motorola to Lenovo'

Search This thread

Doublepranks

Nov 21, 2013
Belem
That's no good at all.
We will never see a second generation Moto g and if we ever do then it won't be as cheap as Moto G is. Lenovo isn't google and even though people say that Motorola operated independently. Google is where they got money from to building the Moto G and It was a bunch of Google engineers who built the Moto X so no, Motorola won't ever be the same again and most importantly. Price tag will rise up to the skies.

dreamer3kx

Aug 10, 2009
This is pretty disappointing news, I just purchased a Moto G thinking I was going to get that Google support now I have no idea what this really means, I think Lenovo will let Moto do its own thing but disappointed.

chlehqls

Jun 18, 2011
Toledo, OH
I think it's fair to see how Lenovo lets Motorola run for at least a year. Dennis Woodside and his staff are allegedly still going to run Motorola, and they made a lot of the dreams of Moto X and Moto G happen. I think it'll be okay. It's not like they'll do a 180 degree and say we're adding bloatware after committing to stock Android and fast updates.

The future for Google is bright, since they're keeping Porject Ara and its patents to themselves (licensed to Lenovo) and now they have a better hardware company in Nest to design sweet things. Future for Motorola is unclear however.

binlalo

Feb 5, 2012
Damn it, one of the biggest reasons why I bought a moto g is that Google was backing it so OS updates would come without problems but now...

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

Reactions: freshmike

mattheoh

I think Google didn t have the expecting results with Moto X... They made a mistake.
The lenovo's offer was a good opportunity to make Android penetrate Asiatic market faster.

But I also think it s a bad news for our Moto G and to have Motorolas' products following closer Android evolutions as we could expected. :(

sent from my Moto G - KK retail ROM

wrj54

Jan 3, 2014
I just bought a Moto G and I'm not happy. Hopefully, it turns out that the Moto G/X stay as they are (or get better) but I worry that Lenovo has to make up that $3B somewhere. I just can't help feeling that manufacturing will be moved to cut costs regardless of what has been implied.

gowengel

Feb 1, 2012
That seems to be the part where the 50$ Smartphone comes from...

So Motorola knew it probably earlier... :)

Maybe there will be further support for our nice phones, at least some import from the gpe moto g...

Faruko

Dec 24, 2013
Santiago
Isnt Lenovo one of the best notebook makers right now ? Im pretty sure that while their smartphones hasnt been the best, they really want to step it up... The reason why they bought Motorola !

Not to mention, the X is not that new anymore... Its slowly but surely reaching "its time" (the G on the other hand is new... But its a sub-200 phone, so i wasnt really expecting much more than 4.4.2... MAYBE 4.5/5.0).

And no, nothing will change in a week, let alone in the first 6-12 months

By that time thw G/X will be outdated and we will have to rely on XDA like we have always do, and im sure this 2 phones will have great support.

Stop overreacting, give Lenovo a chance... After all, we have Ashton Kutcher (lol)

Sent from my XT1032 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: urfrndsandy

votinh

Jul 6, 2011
I don't think the G/X has huge impact but for the next gen. device, two things are certain.
a. won't have fast OS update anymore.
b. won't be cheap.
I do believe this Chinese powerhouse want to have something to compete with its counterparts Huawei, ZTC, Meizu.

pisherthefisher

Jan 1, 2012
Guys, guys.

Don't worry too much about the future of our phone software support.

Remember that the moto g still has a Google play edition, so worst case scenario (that is, lenovo starts making slow updates and/or adds their own skin and bloatware) we still have the Google play edition roms that we can flash (Google play edition device manufacturers are required to give prompt pure android updates for 18 months).

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

bozzykid

May 1, 2011
but we will lost fast updates...

How? All major manufacturers have early access to Android updates.

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

That's no good at all.
We will never see a second generation Moto g and if we ever do then it won't be as cheap as Moto G is.

That makes no sense. The Moto G was not Google's doing. Motorola is trying to tap into a huge market. Being bought by Lenovo is unlikely to change that as Lenovo is based directly in a market that the Moto G affects.

sicembaylor

Dec 7, 2012
How? All major manufacturers have early access to Android updates.

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

That makes no sense. The Moto G was not Google's doing. Motorola is trying to tap into a huge market. Being bought by Lenovo is unlikely to change that as Lenovo is based directly in a market that the Moto G affects.

Actually, the G was Google's doing. The X was not, but the G was the first phone released by Motorola with development overseen by Google engineers.

I'm not worried about the X/G currently, but I'm very concerned about future iterations of both.

tazlooney89

Nov 10, 2011
Mexico D.F.
From my point of view this was more than obvious. Why? ...

1 - . Google just bought Motorola for its patents to protect against claims of Microsoft and Apple, never showed interest in their hardware.

. 2 - the launch of MotoX and MotoG were provided to me are just a Google experiment :

2.1 - . 's MotoX a mobile medium to high end with the ability to customize physically (although only in the U.S. ) to optimized hardware and software (iOS & iPhones style ) that sought to demonstrate to manufacturers that could have a high quality mobile hardware medium category .

2.2 - MotoG , the sample of which must be a current phone lower-middle range . Good price, good design , good software.

. 3 - Both phones what they wanted was to end the fragmentation of Android and leaving only two ranges of phones ( high : Moto X , lower-middle : Moto G) I think that was the purpose of Google .

4 - . MotoG term becoming a double-edged sword ... that large manufacturers saw it as a threat to their low and mid ranges ... and Google can not afford to lose to have led to Android to where this .

5.- from buying Motorola Google did not generate the expected revenue and would later become problems for Google and as they say sell now that it will never sell.

6 - . Google seems every day is ignoring the phone software market to focus on other areas (artificial intelligence , medicine, wereables gadgets , home automation , etc.) .

7 - Google Android will continue to develop but leave the big manufacturers are those who remain in charge to make it grow .

That's what I see and good until Lenovo and Motorola will not say what will happen with the Moto Edition 'll be quiet with my MotoG , but the situation goes wrong so , I will return to monopoly Samsung or spend the Lumia .

theoneofgod

Dec 1, 2011
Xiaomi Poco F3
I don't think the G/X has huge impact but for the next gen. device, two things are certain.
a. won't have fast OS update anymore.
b. won't be cheap.
I do believe this Chinese powerhouse want to have something to compete with its counterparts Huawei, ZTC, Meizu.

Lenovo aren't exactly the Samsung of technology. Most products they sell are cheap, like LG, obviously they have their expensive stuff but they aren't no Sony or Samsung.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No. Mainly because it has tons of useful features. Im kinda a power user so I enjoy the blacklist, builtin torch, superuser integration and all the other handy stuff.But I disliked the fact that Lenovo bought Motorola. Who knows whats gonna happen with updates in the future. I like to stick with the latest firmware.

Updates will still be carried on by Google, as Motorola assistance said to FabioSan, since Google still owns Motorola's software patents. Don't worry about that. Here I copy and translate what they said:

Le confermiamo che Google detiene ancora le patenti relative ai software di sistema Motorola che rimarranno Android e verranno correttamente aggiornati alle nuove versioni (quando disponibili).

We confirm that Google still holds Motorola's system software patents, which will remain Android and will correctly be updated to the latest versions (when available).
    I am not very happy about this news.
    Why? I will not make any difference to the Moto G. Motorola has been operating independently from Google since Google bought them.

but we will lost fast updates...
    Uh, this thread is depressing as hell!
    That's no good at all.
    We will never see a second generation Moto g and if we ever do then it won't be as cheap as Moto G is. Lenovo isn't google and even though people say that Motorola operated independently. Google is where they got money from to building the Moto G and It was a bunch of Google engineers who built the Moto X so no, Motorola won't ever be the same again and most importantly. Price tag will rise up to the skies.