Google TV file manager problem!!

Search This thread

ichyb3ll

Aug 9, 2022
So I reside in India and have recently bought a Bravia which runs on Android 11.

But the problem is that it has no built-in default file manager app
Like when I install PPSSPP v1.13.1, the emulator wants me to choose a directory and that's where I'm stuck.

Same goes for Lemuroid emulator. (Latest from F-Droid)

To simplify, if I want to manage storage I use FX File Manager but can't access to Android/Data or Android/Obb folder and there's no default or stock file manager app to grant the access from.

Any solution??

abrar1993

Oct 5, 2022
So I reside in India and have recently bought a Bravia which runs on Android 11.

Like when I install PPSSPP v1.13.1, the emulator wants me to choose a directory and that's where I'm stuck.

To simplify, if I want to manage storage I use FX File Manager but can't access to Android/Data or Android/Obb folder and there's no default or stock file manager app to grant the access from.

Any solution??
I am facing issue on my tcl Google TV. Can you find solution

tomusyy

Oct 23, 2022
I have the same problem . PPSSPP displays a message that it cannot use the file management application. PPSSPP does not allow you to open and view directories. PPSSPP cannot see the ISO files already uploaded to the disk.

Reactions: mrfatiga22

PuckBass

Jan 26, 2021
seriosuly people the solution keep being posted and you guys chose to ignore it ...

and people need to stop with the updates to android 12 broke something.

IT DID NOT!

https://mixplorer.com/ = open source file explorer that does EVERYTHING !

Kewzyx

Oct 31, 2022
seriosuly people the solution keep being posted and you guys chose to ignore it ...

IT DID NOT!

I have the same problem on my Chromecast with Google TV (HD) with Android 12. The application (John Data Sync for John GBC/GBA emulator) needs access to the emulators folder but when i tap the assign button (to search for it) it does not open any file manager and shows this error: "You don't have an app that can do this".

I've tried multiple file managers, including Mixplorer, but it can't open any of them. I suspect the problem is that the OS doesn't have any file manager setted as default. It doesn't open any chooser and I have no idea how to set it. Maybe from adb?

I don't think it's a permission problem since the file managers do have access to the data folders when i open them. The problem is the other apps can't "launch" or even find them.

Any ideas? Thanks

Last edited:

LTgoodevil

Dec 8, 2014
i have to do the same with psppp & no problem.
Are you doing this specifically on Chromecast with Google TV 4k? Because as others are saying "default file selector" is not present on that device, therefore loophole to enable access doesn't work.
I'm sure there are other Google TV devices out there and OEMs might have added some flavour to them. allowing this.

I've attach photo as proof that MiXplorer doesn't work on CCWGT
JQusc-9ohvqJyAfiQZFqfV7BMWIjLf4UUjWHBd2i45uL7SdhdsTZjCXHIly-JYPjg-hquSilL-upbV4KIKUnz7JJdnyWmhJlkK5CXgZwglXAERNsS70-ABEXy2chS-BzuJwYu2KBtMsycBz9PIspMbhV1-zpfdv9cITiTSoTCCJUq55NQFc0dVv_fY5riFi8-naJajAaUHNLRGSOWo8m-YAql8h7auq6X3g79z6Z2a3ZqhClWt5ycjHu21wqsmm0_FQdElxv-iKwbdvAQT2WIC_j_SQLQl-KyFm-QwdeAAXvCZbTw1WA7CPh5mn4-nqo4f616uXGFJcT3dFda-7s1YByaV2egnNJRe9NmyLCgvi5ogtEDWfyspQyjkUnkOwBOdWeNbw-htADeFQk48I9SZ8qOIyzmkvuuPFX8849-qa5FY5m0sxjz9Ld5XSdaTwoDw0AToLt8Zefp42ZXFSLWjggzj6h4_TgxITpXB-riPA2LjagHN45y2bjJAwV4pt-TDDRrg_ttL6fjlFZIBOdYtAe-X4PmCo-23btXItI_xNFiA9uq40rsOWvjEv6jZoSOrT_e24VYRnFOHP6ZOVxwa4LsSqIQkidqnNxmIXw37vsOPEfIj1N63ClMqJjKs5vEozh6adbYCG6BMbpulWg-NlzU6LgoHNSezZKTsHcRZBwYl7gP15_3c7lisNF62PgalASIg3gVrkkQRUMz5BJICo69ArOXVU5tHkp9RsKJYslFYopv_A3TEycAwM_RfVfD8kh-wtmdI-ZBYFV4ZM7glEUAwHuIXJtOZtW_M8ZR3cp__lLXLXaLKs25bKvPBzcxLd-SFL4_gsF630KTBmYN3M8sgSYXibPF-y1zhuogjLr3b03XBp5nc7kckciKmQ7_sqlH_VCh0ugv-lGRsYB-FwhbyopK7DULUXbwxXntNW8NNgWXIs_1asgcNPrhsHaIT7hlOIxrvdsUQGGQOpxlMYQ3SUxYUyArNlS9dwDPo8glow_MIeNgFI=w1583-h890-no

Reactions: IronTechmonkey

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
I have the same problem on my Chromecast with Google TV (HD) with Android 12. The application (John Data Sync for John GBC/GBA emulator) needs access to the emulators folder but when i tap the assign button (to search for it) it does not open any file manager and shows this error: "You don't have an app that can do this".

I've tried multiple file managers, including Mixplorer, but it can't open any of them. I suspect the problem is that the OS doesn't have any file manager setted as default. It doesn't open any chooser and I have no idea how to set it. Maybe from adb?

I don't think it's a permission problem since the file managers do have access to the data folders when i open them. The problem is the other apps can't "launch" or even find them.

Any ideas? Thanks

Are you doing this specifically on Chromecast with Google TV 4k? Because as others are saying "default file selector" is not present on that device, therefore loophole to enable access doesn't work.
I'm sure there are other Google TV devices out there and OEMs might have added some flavour to them. allowing this.

Indeed, the way Google manages storage on newer android versions, particularly 12 and 13, does make things like this more difficult if not impossible. Even before then, in Android 11 there had been an increasing dependency on native file manager components, and to your points this may vary depending on how the OEM handles things so there is not always a clean line between Android versions. In newer versions, if people disable their native file manager they may then have problems with other file managers such as MiXplorer or even core functions of the OS. It stands to reason that if the native file manager was removed there would be similar problems, and it seems as if this is the situation some of you are in. Unfortunately the workarounds which grant access to various storage locations in third-party file managers (the creation of document providers) requires those native components. Those who can add document providers but still have issues accessing locations could then try the workarounds which you may have already heard in the MiX thread. https://xdaforums.com/t/mixplorer-q-a-and-faq-user-manual.3308582/post-87626419

Disclaimer: although I maintain the MiXplorer FAQ I am not here to advertise it, just doing some cross pollinating between threads since there is common interest between those who want more access on their Google devices and those who use MiXplorer.

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013

IT DID NOT!

With all due respect, in addition to sharing inaccurate information about expectations in new versions of android on Google TV devices (and the subsequent need for native file explorer components) you have also falsely stated that MiXplorer is open source. As explained in various supporting resources for MiXplorer it is closed source.

As to not updating to android 12 or 13, for the time being that's what I'm doing but not everybody has a choice and at a certain point it does become beneficial to upgrade the OS for security and compatibility reasons. It is understandable and reasonable that people would find this problematic and seek workarounds.

Disclaimer: although I maintain the MiXplorer FAQ I do not represent the app or the developer nor do I have any elevated standing here at XDA, so just as a person I say: someone who is telling others to read posted solutions should do better at reading information themselves so as not to spread inaccurate misinformation. ;)

Last edited:

LTgoodevil

Dec 8, 2014
Unfortunately the workarounds which grant access to various storage locations in third-party file managers (the creation of document providers) requires those native components. Those who can add document providers but still have issues accessing locations could then try the workarounds which you may have already heard in the MiX thread. https://xdaforums.com/t/mixplorer-q-a-and-faq-user-manual.3308582/post-87626419
I wasn't sure from your post if things should work with workaround without native file manager or not so I tried on my CCWGTV.
Sadly it doesn't work - executing document provider step from both workarounds results in "You don't have app that can do this"

Reactions: IronTechmonkey

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
I wasn't sure from your post if things should work with workaround without native file manager or not so I tried on my CCWGTV.
Sadly it doesn't work - executing document provider step from both workarounds results in "You don't have app that can do this"

My post was intended to share that even in file managers with advanced capabilities it may not be possible to work around the absence of a native file manager. The workarounds were provided for those who are able to create a document provider but then cannot access the location (in MiXplorer). If you cannot even create the document provider then you may be stuck... as you and others have found out. I've never heard of a workaround for this and would imagine that any workaround would involve some system tweaks. This certainly does not mean they don't exist, which is why I posted here so if anyone shares a solution here I could share it in the MiX thread. Maybe there is some other thread or Forum where people are hacking away at this.

Reactions: LTgoodevil

PetrozPL

Aug 18, 2017
My post was intended to share that even in file managers with advanced capabilities it may not be possible to work around the absence of a native file manager. The workarounds were provided for those who are able to create a document provider but then cannot access the location (in MiXplorer). If you cannot even create the document provider then you may be stuck... as you and others have found out. I've never heard of a workaround for this and would imagine that any workaround would involve some system tweaks. This certainly does not mean they don't exist, which is why I posted here so if anyone shares a solution here I could share it in the MiX thread. Maybe there is some other thread or Forum where people are hacking away at this.
I'm having the same issue on Chromecast 4. Have you found any workaround to access Android/data folder? I've tried to install File application from other device. It's installed and when I try to access Android/data now it shows the popup with question which app to use and there's this File application is listed. But when I select it, it doesn't start the application at all and I can't select the right directory.

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
I'm having the same issue on Chromecast 4. Have you found any workaround to access Android/data folder? I've tried to install File application from other device. It's installed and when I try to access Android/data now it shows the popup with question which app to use and there's this File application is listed. But when I select it, it doesn't start the application at all and I can't select the right directory.

I popped in here after hearing about this in the MiXplorer thread. but I'm not in position to need or be able to test any workarounds on my rooted moto devices nor have I heard of any workarounds.

Reactions: PetrozPL

AiM2LeaRn

Aug 11, 2021

Any solution??

if you just want to access the files or install apks, you can use ADB or terminal emulator to manage the files as an alternative.

CyberElixer

Jul 13, 2021
I'm having the same issue as well. It won't let me choose a custom folder for storing PSP files. Tried different things but nothing worked.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This can be done using adblink by Wi-Fi. Microsoft Defender SmartScreen may pop up during installation. You must allow the installation to run.
    For me, after starting the program, there was a prompt from the antivirus (Norton) about the lack of a digital signature of the application. I allowed it to run once.
    After launching the application, click on the New button and in the new window fill in the fields: Description and Address.
    View attachment 5944201
    Then connect to the device. Information about the connection will appear in the Connected devices section.
    View attachment 5944209
    You need to open the file manager. In the left pane, navigate to the appropriate folder (in my case, it's the Kodi folder).
    View attachment 5944211

Unfortunately, this didn't work on Xiaomi TV Stick 4K. Appears empty when trying to open Android/data folder.
    This can be done using adblink by Wi-Fi. Microsoft Defender SmartScreen may pop up during installation. You must allow the installation to run.
    For me, after starting the program, there was a prompt from the antivirus (Norton) about the lack of a digital signature of the application. I allowed it to run once.
    After launching the application, click on the New button and in the new window fill in the fields: Description and Address.
    screenshot-20230701-112918.png

Then connect to the device. Information about the connection will appear in the Connected devices section.
    screenshot-20230701-113018.png

You need to open the file manager. In the left pane, navigate to the appropriate folder (in my case, it's the Kodi folder).
    screenshot-20230701-113410.png

Any solution??

IT DID NOT!

With all due respect, in addition to sharing inaccurate information about expectations in new versions of android on Google TV devices (and the subsequent need for native file explorer components) you have also falsely stated that MiXplorer is open source. As explained in various supporting resources for MiXplorer it is closed source.

As to not updating to android 12 or 13, for the time being that's what I'm doing but not everybody has a choice and at a certain point it does become beneficial to upgrade the OS for security and compatibility reasons. It is understandable and reasonable that people would find this problematic and seek workarounds.

Disclaimer: although I maintain the MiXplorer FAQ I do not represent the app or the developer nor do I have any elevated standing here at XDA, so just as a person I say: someone who is telling others to read posted solutions should do better at reading information themselves so as not to spread inaccurate misinformation. ;)

Any ideas? Thanks

Indeed, the way Google manages storage on newer android versions, particularly 12 and 13, does make things like this more difficult if not impossible. Even before then, in Android 11 there had been an increasing dependency on native file manager components, and to your points this may vary depending on how the OEM handles things so there is not always a clean line between Android versions. In newer versions, if people disable their native file manager they may then have problems with other file managers such as MiXplorer or even core functions of the OS. It stands to reason that if the native file manager was removed there would be similar problems, and it seems as if this is the situation some of you are in. Unfortunately the workarounds which grant access to various storage locations in third-party file managers (the creation of document providers) requires those native components. Those who can add document providers but still have issues accessing locations could then try the workarounds which you may have already heard in the MiX thread. https://xdaforums.com/t/mixplorer-q-a-and-faq-user-manual.3308582/post-87626419

Disclaimer: although I maintain the MiXplorer FAQ I am not here to advertise it, just doing some cross pollinating between threads since there is common interest between those who want more access on their Google devices and those who use MiXplorer.

IT DID NOT!

Any ideas? Thanks