Got a live view today....(very smal review..)

pmoura

Apr 8, 2008
Cascais
Got mine today and I'm happy with it. Work together with MW600. It shows music Track information and Caller name on the display.
Looks a little tick as a watch.
Does what promised.
Don't forget to update it with Sony Ericsson Update Service application.
It's a cheap device so don't expect the heaven, but it's quite cool.
There's a need for additional plug-in's which I'm starting do develop.

Killiandros

Aug 19, 2008
Anywhere up to 10 metres - in practice it is usually less than this and is influenced by environmental factors (walls, having it in your pocket etc).

http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/products/accessories/specifications/liveviewmicrodisplay

You can have the device more than 10 metres away from your phone (where it will lose the connection but still retain the time unless you power it off) and it will attempt to reconnect when in range again. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. (Hopefully the firmware update coming in January addresses the inconsistencies in recovering from disconnections).

Reactions: Shiwantha

2minikan

Jan 2, 2011
Miami
Not Recomended

I received mine last week. It does what it promises but the battery life is about 2 hours consistently. While its on it is very cool. I used it with my sony X10 + DRBT50 and in the gym with my DR-BT160AS. I could control music playback (play/pause FF/REW VOL Up/Dw) I also used it with Power amp and it worked great. I received both a Facebook notice and a call while using it in the gym. It was nice to just take a quick glance at my wrist and see who's calling.

However, 1 the display should have been at least double the pixel density the Icons look blocky, 2 the colors where adequate but not vibrant or impressive, 3 its plastic with no screen guard (as a watch I'm worried how it will hold up against scratches). Finally it takes forever to charge. cI could have forgiven all of this if the battery would last at least 8 hours. As it is the most it will last if you actually connect it to your phone is about 2 hours. Which, for myself, makes the other minor short comings even worse.
Don't get me wrong it's a great Idea and a must have for anyone with a larger phone, but the current version just doesn't work.

I would advise writing Sony as I have and asking for an HD version with an 8 hour battery, double the pixel density, metal watch bracket and a metal and glass body a little thinner. After all its meant to be worn as a watch, it should look good. Considering the smallest Ipod with a screen is only a little bigger and has to do much more this device should easily be able to match the use time of a bluetoothheadset.

I hope mine is a bad one and people on the forum don't have a similar experience.

Borecz1

Oct 29, 2010
Prague
I'm a little surprised by your experience. I've got mine since last year (31th of December :) ) and I haven't experienced any problems with it so far. When I charge it, it lasts about 2 days even if I don't turn it off for the night. Of course, higher dpi would be nice, but I don't mind current one. I don't really think that it's somehow abnormally vulnerable to scratches, but some kind of screen protector would be useful though. So far I'm satisfied with it as it does exactly what I expected. But I'm also looking forward for the upcoming update, any improvement is good :)

Esilar

Nov 15, 2010
My experiences

I have my LiveView for 2 weeks now and use it with an rooted X10i.

Hardware:
First thing i noticed was the cheap apperance. All plastic and the wrist band is a joke. A watch is an accessory many people carefully choose. My X10 is stylish, the LV looks like a prototype right out of an SE lab. With goodwill let's say SE tried to make a gadget as cheap as possible for a test if there's a market for it.

In my daily use the battery makes it up to 3 or 4 days, i don't know what happens to others with 2 or 4 hours drain. When i don't wear the watch i shut it off, usually at night. Charging isn't comfortable cause i have to remove the LV from its frame. The resolution of the screen is OK for me but far away to be stunning, the information it provides is quite readable. The four "soft keys" on the screen lack any haptical feedback.

The news indication LED on the upper left corner is wrongly placed if you use the LV as a watch. The on/off button needs to be relocated too, if you wear a thick jacket in winter time it can make a button press without any notice.

Software:
The bluetooth connection to my X10 is weak. Sometimes when I check the device it start to reconnect to the phone first. So far it happened 2 times that I had to unpair/pair the bluetooth connection to the LV cause the reconnect failed reproducible. Meanwhile the LV app on the android market got updates and is more stable. The LV itself can be updated too, but my SE Companion shows the all time beloved sentence: "You already have the newest software.". :rolleyes:
It seems the LV app is now able to transfer events to the LV which arrived while it was disconnected but that needs more tests.

The use of the device isn't very intuitive cause "select" (short press) and "back" (long press) button are the same. Especially with the use of plugins you click and click and click…
Sometimes the responsiveness of the device is slow, but that seems by design. The software is in the mobile and the LV is a secondary display only. So any action on the LV goes over bluetooth to the phone, is examined by the LV application (or a plugin) and the result is sent back over the air to the LV. And the LV can receive bitmaps (PNG graphics) only to show it on screen, which slows it down further. On the other side this is an advantage, the LV is independend from any fonts and languages…

After two weeks I can say the device do what was advertised but not in a very satisfying way. It has its edges and shortcommings. Much room for a version 2.0.

My wishes for a next version would be:
- different styles, different colors
- metal frame, metal wrist band
- thinner
- glas screen
- touch screen
- reflexive color screen like an ebook reader with a illumination on keypress for the night (less battery drain, clock would be always visible without a keypress)
- water resistant
- longer battery life
- better start screen (the stylized home with a number above it don't say much, I always have to click on the softkey to explore what kind of news arrived. How about a user defineable 2x2 or 3x3 matrix?)

Edit: this morning when I arrived at the office the LV was gone, just the wrist band and the frame is left… game over. :eek:

highaltitude

Nov 4, 2010
NC
Sorry to hear of the shortcomings of the device and the loss of the LV, while those are negative impacts, a posititve for me is that it has helped to to decide Not to buy this until it gets revamped. I was considering it because it looks to be a great add-on to our phones but it certainly sounds like it needs some real refining. Thanks for the insights.

Vito Andolini Corleone

Jan 7, 2011
Miami
Yo guys!!!!

Now that I have read many reviews and seen tons of videos of the live vie I don't wanna take risk of buying it unless Sony comes out with a full touch screen device with an lcd display along with a good looking metallic slim body lol.

Is there any good alternative devices by other brands which offer better features than the Sony live view.

Sent from my X10i

Vito Andolini Corleone

Jan 7, 2011
Miami
i got one more query, should i go for the liveview or the MBW200. the need for fb and twitter support on the live view keep me inclined to the device but the connectivity factor and looks make me look towards the MBW200. i am really confused! please help me out!

Borecz1

Oct 29, 2010
Prague
Well, that's probably up to you to consider as it depends on your own preferences. I, for example, don't use any of that social networking services, I use my LiveView mainly as remote controller for music player and to check new messages or missed calls, but i wouldn't buy that watch because it looks like accessory for women :) and it's probably not capable of making a phone call or opening an application. I still see potental in LiveView as it supports plugins. Maybe I'm wrong and there is no such a potential in it, but even if all development for LiveView would's stop right now, I'd be still happy with it as it does exactly what I need: lets me control my music player, read SMS and shows me who's calling. Those are mine preferences and LiveView fulfills them all. You need to think about your's and then decide what to buy.
I don't know if this comment will be of any help, but it's really hard to answer you question to which only you know the answer :)

Vito Andolini Corleone

Jan 7, 2011
Miami
Well, that's probably up to you to consider as it depends on your own preferences. I, for example, don't use any of that social networking services, I use my LiveView mainly as remote controller for music player and to check new messages or missed calls, but i wouldn't buy that watch because it looks like accessory for women :) and it's probably not capable of making a phone call or opening an application. I still see potental in LiveView as it supports plugins. Maybe I'm wrong and there is no such a potential in it, but even if all development for LiveView would's stop right now, I'd be still happy with it as it does exactly what I need: lets me control my music player, read SMS and shows me who's calling. Those are mine preferences and LiveView fulfills them all. You need to think about your's and then decide what to buy.
I don't know if this comment will be of any help, but it's really hard to answer you question to which only you know the answer :)
First of all thanks for the reply :) I guess the liveview will fulfill my needs of having access to social networking apps without taking out my phone all the time. Could you tell me from where can we get reliable straps to hold the device securely in place? Since I haveseen videos and also read some of the reviews posted above which say that the liveview tends to pop out of the wrist band leading to its destruction if it falls on a hard concrete surface.

Someone posted a pic of a custom strap. Well do we get metal straps? And do these custom straps work any better than the stock nylon strap apart from the beauty factor?
Sent from my X10i

Borecz1

Oct 29, 2010
Prague
I'm afraid I can't help you with that. I'm obviously one of the very few people who has no problems with that straps at all. I'm using ony the wrist strap and I have never encountered any unwanted pop out. I usually wear it all day long and I'm not afraid of loosing it or getting it destroyed by falling on the ground, because it fits the strap very well and feels pretty secure in it. I'm only cautious when taking it off my wrist since it poped out once during the process. But it was probably caused by me, as I figured out later. The reason is, that it is possible to remove it from the clip by pressing the back side of the device, so I think that I have accidentally done that while taking it off. In fact, I was a little worried about this whole popping out thing as well, so I thought about glueing it to the clip or something. Problem is that it's not possible, because you wouldn't have access to it's microUSB port then. So I'm glad it wasn't neccessary to do such a thing.

Vito Andolini Corleone

Jan 7, 2011
Miami
I'm afraid I can't help you with that. I'm obviously one of the very few people who has no problems with that straps at all. I'm using ony the wrist strap and I have never encountered any unwanted pop out. I usually wear it all day long and I'm not afraid of loosing it or getting it destroyed by falling on the ground, because it fits the strap very well and feels pretty secure in it. I'm only cautious when taking it off my wrist since it poped out once during the process. But it was probably caused by me, as I figured out later. The reason is, that it is possible to remove it from the clip by pressing the back side of the device, so I think that I have accidentally done that while taking it off. In fact, I was a little worried about this whole popping out thing as well, so I thought about glueing it to the clip or something. Problem is that it's not possible, because you wouldn't have access to it's microUSB port then. So I'm glad it wasn't neccessary to do such a thing.
Well if the liveview doesn't pop out of the strap then its well and good. How is the experience of navigating on the device? Are the touch sensor keys responsive?

Sent from my X10i

Borecz1

Oct 29, 2010
Prague
Thats OK, I completely uderstand that you want to gather as much information as you can get before you decide to buy anything. I ussually do the same ;)
To answer your question:
I can't complain about the responsiveness of the device. Those two HW buttons are just HW buttons, so you can feel that they were pressed and they go quite easily, just like you would expect.
The other four "touch sensors" are quite good responsive as well. Once you get used to where you should tap it (not too close to the center and no too close to the edge either), you shouldn't have a problem with controlling the device. I also tried to control it with wet fingers (to simulate rainy weather :) ) and it works flawlessly, just as good as with dry fingers. Therefore, as I said once before, I can't complain about controlling the device.

P.S.: I'd like to mention, that everything I've said is just my subjective experience, so please don't blame me if your's won't be the same ;)