Got a new phone

Search This thread

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
Orange County, California
So I've been mentioning a lot and I wound up ordering a new phone, the Nexus 5X. I know I asked in an earlier thread about it, but it meets everything that I am looking for. I got the 32GB variant (new in box) for $220. Not the 16GB, the 32GB from a private seller and negotiated it down.

I was looking for a smaller phone, not to mention I have Sprint so all options are pretty limited. Of course you know my opinion on the Pixel so I'll skip that. I will still keep my Nexus 6 though, I don't have any intention of selling it.....ever.

I looked at the Moto G4 and G4 Plus, but there is little development for it and the flashing process is a bigger pain. I don't mind the plastic build either and wish more phones were like this as I believe they are more durable than the aluminum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MC9Zc7uzd0

If I had GSM, I'd have gotten the One Plus 3. I'll admit the hardware isn't exactly what I want, but the customization is more important for me anyways.

Plus, most phones, your insurance is $100 if not more depending on what you are paying, plus a $70-$80 deductible. So for a potentially refurbished replacement you spent $190 or so.

The guy only had one, but for $220 for a brand new phone that works for me. I've seen some 16GB variants on ebay, but I'm concerned that might be too little space. Overall I'll see how it is, but it's better than paying $649 for a Pixel instead.

seabro01

Dec 1, 2015
I bought the 5x a few months ago and have been using it as my daily driver for a couple months. Still really like my N6 and use it as media device but it's not the most pocketable phone. The 5x is a very good mid-range phone, especially at current prices. The fast fingerprint sensor, USB type C, camera and brighter screen more than make up for the lack of wireless charging and dual front speakers. Overall build quality is very solid. Sound quality is definitely lacking compared to my N6 and idol 3. Highly recommend flashing A.R.I.S.E. if you care about audio quality.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Reactions: mikeprius

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
I bought the 5x a few months ago and have been using it as my daily driver for a couple months. Still really like my N6 and use it as media device but it's not the most pocketable phone. The 5x is a very good mid-range phone, especially at current prices. The fast fingerprint sensor, USB type C, camera and brighter screen more than make up for the lack of wireless charging and dual front speakers. Overall build quality is very solid. Sound quality is definitely lacking compared to my N6 and idol 3. Highly recommend flashing A.R.I.S.E. if you care about audio quality.

Thanks for the feedback. I know I'd have to take a backseat on the audio and RAM, but I don't mind. I checked my memory usage and I'm usually at 1.5-1.7GB so I don't think the RAM should be an issue. I don't care about the wireless charging since I never use that either. I'm keeping my N6 as a backup, but I'll still use it over WIFI and it's still a good phone......just not out and about so I'll leave it at home.

Looking forward to the 5X. What USB C cords did you end up getting ? I bought some cords, adapters and OTG for the 5X from amazon. I just picked a few that the Benson guy recommended so I'll have to re-do all my cords. For me the customization was more important than the hardware.

The insurance for the phone is another embedded cost...of course you don't have to get it, but most do so it's another cost again.

seabro01

Dec 1, 2015
Thanks for the feedback. I know I'd have to take a backseat on the audio and RAM, but I don't mind. I checked my memory usage and I'm usually at 1.5-1.7GB so I don't think the RAM should be an issue. I don't care about the wireless charging since I never use that either. I'm keeping my N6 as a backup, but I'll still use it over WIFI and it's still a good phone......just not out and about so I'll leave it at home.

Looking forward to the 5X. What USB C cords did you end up getting ? I bought some cords, adapters and OTG for the 5X from amazon. I just picked a few that the Benson guy recommended so I'll have to re-do all my cords. For me the customization was more important than the hardware.

The insurance for the phone is another embedded cost...of course you don't have to get it, but most do so it's another cost again.
Haven't had any RAM management issues. Might be an issue with certain games but my usage is mostly music streaming, web browsing, Tapatalk and texting.

Audio through headphone jack and Bluetooth can be quite good with the right settings in Viper. The speaker quality is pretty bad compared to N6 but can be improved with the surround sound mod.

I bought the extra charger from Google store which came with a cable. Also got some Anker type C to micro adapters from Amazon.

Reactions: mikeprius

903tex

Mar 22, 2010
Tyler, Texas
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
Lol this thread is hilarious cause I sold a 5x(that I got for 200 locally 32gb)

Hated it, it was slow down a lot, the front facing speaker was low and I missed calls, the volume on headset was not something to write home about. went to a 6p and returned cause I felt like the 6p just wasn't worth the 500 I paid for it(great phone though), went to a moto g4 plus and returned(the 617 is what kills that phone) then on cl today just looking around a Nexus 6 came up in great shape for 160 went and grab it and so far I'm liking it. It is big but at the same time it's something unique about it and the fact that it still solid and runs just as good as the 6p I have no complaints so far!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using XDA-Developers mobile app

Reactions: buge boyo

DogzOfWar

Feb 17, 2009
I think you guys are doing an approach I'm likely to take: Don't get a brand-spanking new phone, but last year's great phone instead for less. The high price of the Pixel has really put me off, so I'm looking at last year's 5x or 6p too. Then next year, when the Pixel XL (or whatever) comes out, get the first Pixel.

At least this way I'll get a newer phone each year for a bit less.

The alternative is to look at the various Chinese phones. Some interesting stuff from Huawei, ZTE, OnePlus, etc. Supposedly premium phones for $300 less than the top Samsung/LG/Pixel phones.

Dopamin3

Dec 7, 2010
Nexus 6
Google Pixel 3a XL
The alternative is to look at the various Chinese phones. Some interesting stuff from Huawei, ZTE, OnePlus, etc. Supposedly premium phones for $300 less than the top Samsung/LG/Pixel phones.

That's cool if you're on ATT/Tmo based carriers, but CDMA like Verizon and Sprint have strict rules on which phones will actually activate on the network. OP is on Sprint so no, he can't look at Huawei (except 6p), ZTE, OnePlus, etc...

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
Currently this is what Sprint will allow on their network:

iPhone 7 (Verizon only)
iPhone 7 Plus (Verizon only)
iPhone SE
iPhone 6s
iPhone 6s Plus
iPhone 6
iPhone 6 Plus
iPhone 5s (Verizon only)
iPhone 5c (Verizon only)
iPad Air 2
iPad Air
iPad Mini 4
iPad Mini 3
iPad Mini 2
iPad Pro
Google Pixel
Google Pixel XL
Nexus 6 (32 & 64 GB – black/white)
Nexus 5 (16 & 32 GB – black/white/red)
Nexus 5X (all versions)
Nexus 6P (all versions)
HTC One A9 (Sprint Version only)
Motorola X Pure Edition (16, 32 & 64 GB – all colors)
Samsung Galaxy S7 Special Edition
Samsung Galaxy S7 edge Special Edition
Moto G4
Moto G4 Plus

I made the decision to forgo the Pixel, so I won't be getting it. That's cool if others gets the phone, but it's not visually appealing and the cost is too high, plus with a phone that expensive you'll need insurance which is another added cost.

If I did not have CDMA, then I'd get the One Plus 3. The ZTE Axon 7 is quite nice as well, but both devices are not accepted on Sprint's network.

fiffan86

Dec 2, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

iPhone 7 (Verizon only)
iPhone SE
iPhone 6s
iPhone 6s Plus
iPhone 6
iPhone 6 Plus
iPhone 5s (Verizon only)
iPhone 5c (Verizon only)
iPad Air 2
iPad Air
iPad Mini 4
iPad Mini 3
iPad Mini 2
iPad Pro
Google Pixel
Google Pixel XL
Nexus 5X (all versions)
Nexus 6P (all versions)
Moto G4
Moto G4 Plus

I made the decision to forgo the Pixel, so I won't be getting it. That's cool if others gets the phone, but it's not visually appealing and the cost is too high, plus with a phone that expensive you'll need insurance which is another added cost.

If I did not have CDMA, then I'd get the One Plus 3. The ZTE Axon 7 is quite nice as well, but both devices are not accepted on Sprint's network.

I would have gotten a One Plus 3, but I'm on Verizon. Band 13 is only in my area so I don't feel like having 3G all the time lol My wife pre-ordered me a pixel xl 128 for my birthday, my n6 is starting to fritz out on me, so im going to trade it in :(

khanam

Jul 26, 2010
Miami

iPhone 7 (Verizon only)
iPhone SE
iPhone 6s
iPhone 6s Plus
iPhone 6
iPhone 6 Plus
iPhone 5s (Verizon only)
iPhone 5c (Verizon only)
iPad Air 2
iPad Air
iPad Mini 4
iPad Mini 3
iPad Mini 2
iPad Pro
Google Pixel
Google Pixel XL
Nexus 5X (all versions)
Nexus 6P (all versions)
Moto G4
Moto G4 Plus

Honestly and I'm not being facetious... Please consider switching to T-Mobile. The phone choices are much better, their coverage is way better (ex project Fi customer who got a taste of sprint alongside tmo) and it's only marginally more expensive.

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
I would have gotten a One Plus 3, but I'm on Verizon. Band 13 is only in my area so I don't feel like having 3G all the time lol My wife pre-ordered me a pixel xl 128 for my birthday, my n6 is starting to fritz out on me, so im going to trade it in :(

That's nice of your wife to pick up the Pixel XL, I hope you enjoy it. I'm kinda of shocked that you only have 1 of 3 bands that Verizon uses. They charge quite a bit compared to T-Mobile and Sprint. I guess I am spoiled that I live in Orange County and work in LA County, so both areas and all of SoCal are pretty much saturated with towers from all the carriers. CDMA does limit things though.

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
Honestly and I'm not being facetious... Please consider switching to T-Mobile. The phone choices are much better, their coverage is way better (ex project Fi customer who got a taste of sprint alongside tmo) and it's only marginally more expensive.

Are you on the old plans, or using the new T-Mobile ONE for $70 ? I've been considering T-Mobile for awhile...............GSM would open up more options.

fiffan86

Dec 2, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
That's nice of your wife to pick up the Pixel XL, I hope you enjoy it. I'm kinda of shocked that you only have 1 of 3 bands that Verizon uses. They charge quite a bit compared to T-Mobile and Sprint. I guess I am spoiled that I live in Orange County and work in LA County, so both areas and all of SoCal are pretty much saturated with towers from all the carriers. CDMA does limit things though.

Verizon just took over a small regional carrier only 18 months ago. I live about an hour north of Yosemite in the mountains. They have been putting up real cell towers compared to the small towers the rc had on water tanks and the sort. I think in the last year Verizon has replaced over 70 cell towers up here.....Sprint has 0 coverage, Tmo only has coverage in the main town down to the central valley. ATT is 2nd in coverage, but I don't have service inside my house, only outside. Verizon prices isn't too bad for their coverage in the mountians, especially when your wife gets an employer discount of 17% (local government employee).

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
Verizon just took over a small regional carrier only 18 months ago. I live about an hour north of Yosemite in the mountains. They have been putting up real cell towers compared to the small towers the rc had on water tanks and the sort. I think in the last year Verizon has replaced over 70 cell towers up here.....Sprint has 0 coverage, Tmo only has coverage in the main town down to the central valley. ATT is 2nd in coverage, but I don't have service inside my house, only outside. Verizon prices isn't too bad for their coverage in the mountians, especially when your wife gets an employer discount of 17% (local government employee).

Interesting. Over here in Big Bear cell reception is totally dead once you get to a certain area. You are just better turning off the phone. Modesto isn't too far from you, does Modesto have signal from all the carriers?

fiffan86

Dec 2, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Interesting. Over here in Big Bear cell reception is totally dead once you get to a certain area. You are just better turning off the phone. Modesto isn't too far from you, does Modesto have signal from all the carriers?

Modesto is about an 1 hour and 15 min drive, yeah all carriers work there. If you drive about 45 min from where i live, all 4 major carriers have service in Oakdale.

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
I forgot to share this story, but it was amusing to say the least......................

A few weeks ago, I saw a young college student with a Pixel (smaller). At first it looked like an iPhone, but I took a few glances then realized it did not have the home button and was running Android so it was a Pixel. I asked her if that was the new Pixel phone. She said it was and the scrolling is very smooth with no lag, new software, and she wanted it for the "pure Android" experience and just had to get it.

I said that's great to hear and I know how the lag can be and pulled out my Nexus 6 and showed it to her. She asked me what was Nexus.....she's never heard of it before. I told her it's "pure Android". She gave me a confused look then we parted ways.

Last edited:

juggaknot77

Sep 12, 2010
BROOKLYN!
I forgot to share this story, but it was amusing to say the least......................

A few weeks ago, I saw a young college student with a Pixel (smaller). At first it looked like an iPhone, but I took a few glances then realized it did not have the home button and was running Android so it was a Pixel. I asked her if that was the new Pixel phone. She said it was and the scrolling is very smooth with no lag, new software, and she wanted it for the "pure Android" experience and just had to get it.

I said that's great to hear and I know how the lag can be and pulled out my Nexus 6 and showed it to her. She asked me what was Nexus.....she's never heard of it before. I told her it's "pure Android". She gave me a confused look then we parted ways.

I'm not even surprised that girl didn't even know what a Nexus is, the average shmo' doesn't even know what a Nexus is and I put 100% blame on Google for not using all those billions they have on advertising the Nexus line. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I been asked "what kind of phone is that?" when I've pulled it out in public or at work. I just tell them, they look at me with this confused look like I just spoke to them in a alien language and continue about their business, I just shake my head and curse Google.

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
I'm not even surprised that girl didn't even know what a Nexus is, the average shmo' doesn't even know what a Nexus is and I put 100% blame on Google for not using all those billions they have on advertising the Nexus line. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I been asked "what kind of phone is that?" when I've pulled it out in public or at work. I just tell them, they look at me with this confused look like I just spoke to them in a alien language and continue about their business, I just shake my head and curse Google.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention. She was typing on an apple laptop.

903tex

Mar 22, 2010
Tyler, Texas
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
Sad thing is the pixel will be a lot of the main new stream consumer first taste at a stock Android phone.... Also think it's funny how all these big YouTubers didnt like the phone when it was revealed, then pull a 180 saying it's the best phone ever.....if Google wanted to do this I have no problem with it but I have a problem they basically waited three months before release and was like "oh yea the new phone will be called pixel and the price will start at a iphone 7 price tag....." 'oh and the Nexus line is done thank you for all your support"

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Haven't had any RAM management issues. Might be an issue with certain games but my usage is mostly music streaming, web browsing, Tapatalk and texting.

Audio through headphone jack and Bluetooth can be quite good with the right settings in Viper. The speaker quality is pretty bad compared to N6 but can be improved with the surround sound mod.

I bought the extra charger from Google store which came with a cable. Also got some Anker type C to micro adapters from Amazon.

Lol this thread is hilarious cause I sold a 5x(that I got for 200 locally 32gb)

Hated it, it was slow down a lot, the front facing speaker was low and I missed calls, the volume on headset was not something to write home about. went to a 6p and returned cause I felt like the 6p just wasn't worth the 500 I paid for it(great phone though), went to a moto g4 plus and returned(the 617 is what kills that phone) then on cl today just looking around a Nexus 6 came up in great shape for 160 went and grab it and so far I'm liking it. It is big but at the same time it's something unique about it and the fact that it still solid and runs just as good as the 6p I have no complaints so far!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using XDA-Developers mobile app
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone