General Got my Edge S, unlocked bootloader and Magisk root

Search This thread

HopelesRomantc91

Dec 2, 2008
HTC One (m7)
Samsung Galaxy S4
Basically the title. I received my Chinese Edge S today, so far I like it but I've barely used it. I thought I got a model with Gapps preloaded, but I was wrong (big surprise). I sideloaded Play Store, but haven't gotten much farther. Unlocking the bootloader was a little difficult, I had to factory reset, with the SIM card installed, to get "OEM Unlocking" to not be grayed out. But from there it was simple, I used the Motorola website to get the unlock code, ran it, no problem. I just followed the normal Magisk instructions: I installed the Magisk app, found the boot.img file inside the ROM download from the Lenovo Rescue and Smart Assistant, patched it with Magisk, flashed it via fastboot and I'm rooted. Once I hid Magisk, Google Pay seems to work fine (although it says NFC is not set up...I'll have to test it tomorrow for tap to pay to see if it works; when I go into NFC settings it says Google Pay is default). I'll let you all know how it goes. I also downloaded Google Assistant, but as I suspected it isn't working. I tried to sideload Gapps from Android 10, but it didn't work. I'll have to try TWRP later, or maybe wait until an Android 10 Gapps is available.

EDIT: Since I have root, is there a way install the Gapps? I found BiTGApps which has Android 11 support, but it only lists TWRP install method and there's currently no TWRP for this phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: fire159 and CCivale

CCivale

Apr 25, 2011
Basically the title. I received my Chinese Edge S today, so far I like it but I've barely used it. I thought I got a model with Gapps preloaded, but I was wrong (big surprise). I sideloaded Play Store, but haven't gotten much farther. Unlocking the bootloader was a little difficult, I had to factory reset, with the SIM card installed, to get "OEM Unlocking" to not be grayed out. But from there it was simple, I used the Motorola website to get the unlock code, ran it, no problem. I just followed the normal Magisk instructions: I installed the Magisk app, found the boot.img file inside the ROM download from the Lenovo Rescue and Smart Assistant, patched it with Magisk, flashed it via fastboot and I'm rooted. Once I hid Magisk, Google Pay seems to work fine (although it says NFC is not set up...I'll have to test it tomorrow for tap to pay to see if it works; when I go into NFC settings it says Google Pay is default). I'll let you all know how it goes. I also downloaded Google Assistant, but as I suspected it isn't working. I tried to sideload Gapps from Android 10, but it didn't work. I'll have to try TWRP later, or maybe wait until an Android 10 Gapps is available.

EDIT: Since I have root, is there a way install the Gapps? I found BiTGApps which has Android 11 support, but it only lists TWRP install method and there's currently no TWRP for this phone.
Wow, thanks for all this info. That is great that you were already able to root and get Magisk on there with minimal issues. This is pretty much what I do with my phones right out of the box. Regarding that link for Gapps, I read through the start of that thread and the package is definitely what we'll probably need for this phone. But, without a working recovery at this point, I don't think there is another way to install it.

syncrosys

Aug 17, 2015
That's awesome that you did that. I received my code from Moto, but I need to factory reset myself to get the OEM unlock slider to not be grayed out. I'm just waiting for the G100 Rom to be available and flash it then.

Until then. its a pretty sweet phone for the money.

CCivale

Apr 25, 2011
That's awesome that you did that. I received my code from Moto, but I need to factory reset myself to get the OEM unlock slider to not be grayed out. I'm just waiting for the G100 Rom to be available and flash it then.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase the phone? And where do you live?

Edit: Just saw your answer in the other thread.

Reactions: HopelesRomantc91

ktitimbo

Apr 2, 2021

Any idea when the G100 ROM will be available?

Can you please describe the steps on how to flash the new ROM?

Reactions: fire159

HopelesRomantc91

Dec 2, 2008
HTC One (m7)
Samsung Galaxy S4

I imagine it'll be available as soon as the phone itself is, just a matter of someone downloading the G100 ROM with RSA, then uploading it for the rest of us. I also imagine the process will simply be to download it, and rename it so RSA will flash it instead of the Chinese ROM for us, but that's really only speculation at this point. It may have a checksum that would make flashing a little more difficult, in which case it would be a matter of installing TWRP (once available) and then flashing that way.

iron maiden

Feb 9, 2011
Hello, I have patched boot img to my moto edge S 5g Chinese version and I have magisk root ok but if I restart the motorola it is lost and I have to reinstall boot parched, do you know why?

fire159

Jan 15, 2011
isfahan
I imagine it'll be available as soon as the phone itself is, just a matter of someone downloading the G100 ROM with RSA, then uploading it for the rest of us. I also imagine the process will simply be to download it, and rename it so RSA will flash it instead of the Chinese ROM for us, but that's really only speculation at this point. It may have a checksum that would make flashing a little more difficult, in which case it would be a matter of installing TWRP (once available) and then flashing that way.
Thanks for info . İs flashing g100 rom need root device or unlocking bootloader ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Wow, thanks for all this info. That is great that you were already able to root and get Magisk on there with minimal issues. This is pretty much what I do with my phones right out of the box. Regarding that link for Gapps, I read through the start of that thread and the package is definitely what we'll probably need for this phone. But, without a working recovery at this point, I don't think there is another way to install it.
    If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase the phone? And where do you live?

Edit: Just saw your answer in the other thread.
    It's worth noting that I cancelled my Giztop purchase and bought from Aliexpress instead. Can't remember if I actually said that or not.